Football
Sponsored by

Just watched the McGuire press conference..

9,924 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bakersdozen
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tech is half a step up from Texas State as far as the general student population.
bear2be2
Golden Helmet said:

Needs to pull some Oklahoma sleepers too.
I don't think he'll recruit much out of state, to be honest. He's built/is building his identity around being a THSCA guy. I don't think he'll risk alienating Texas high school coaches by offering Oklahoma kids when there's plenty of talent in this state to stock his program.

He may go for the one-off out-of-stater here or there, but my guess is he'll do the bulk of his recruiting in Texas.
Ghostrider
Good luck to him. He'll need it.
1845_Society
Listen, this is McGuire's retirement contract. From high school head coach to (probably) a low 7-figure contract in a matter of 5 years? Regardless of how, or how long, he can ride it at TTU....he's retired after this gig.

I'm convinced that's what he means. This is his final coaching job. Good for him.
Give
Golden Helmet
Coaches don't care if you pull from out of state.

Spike and Leach got their guys from Okie - they we're not 4 or 5 stars but contributors that got overlooked.

Sprinkle them in here and there.
RegentCoverup
br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

br53 said:

Lubbock is where his coaching career will die.
If he fails like his predecessors, his options would include:

1) NFL head coach
2) US Senator
3) one of the most successful head coaches in FCS history
4) plane crash
That's quite a roulette game.
I am starting to think some of yall need to go get your Tech Shirts and hats.
Just be thankful it's a message board and you're not sitting next to him on a long car ride.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
bear2be2
Golden Helmet said:

Coaches don't care if you pull from out of state.

Spike and Leach got their guys from Okie - they we're not 4 or 5 stars but contributors that got overlooked.

Sprinkle them in here and there.
Based on your last sentence, it would appear we're basically on the same page.

Coaches don't mind if you go out of state until out-of-state players start taking their kids' Division I opportunities. If you're grabbing a player or two to fill out your class, it's no big deal. It's when you start relying on out-of-state recruiting for a significant chunk of your roster that it could potentially become a problem.
PartyBear
Footballscoop says his OC candidates are Cumbie, Kittely (WKU OC) and a Garrett Riley (SMU OC). Cumbie and Riley are both Tech grads Kittely's dad was a track coach at Tech. Siravo, Carolina Panther and former Baylor LB Coach expected to be the DC.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Footballscoop says his OC candidates are Cumbie, Kittely (WKU OC) and a Garrett Riley (SMU OC). Cumbie and Riley are both Tech grads Kittely's dad was a track coach at Tech. Siravo, Carolina Panther and former Baylor LB Coach expected to be the DC.
According to reports, Siravo would have been his DC here if he had been hired after 2019, so that makes sense. Not sure I'd be crazy about Cumbie if I was a Tech fan, but he's one of theirs, so they might be higher on him than I am.
LIB,MR BEARS
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

According to reports, Siravo would have been his DC here if he had been hired after 2019, so that makes sense. Not sure I'd be crazy about Cumbie if I was a Tech fan, but he's one of theirs, so they might be higher on him than I am.
maybe Phillip Montgomery if he is let go at Tulsa
FLBear5630

'Tech will be the hardest nose competitive hardest working team in the country and we will play defense'

Yeah, every Coach says that. Getting top 20 talent to Lubbock is another story. They lost the momentum Leach built for them in recent years. Maguire is not Leach 2. Be interesting to see if traditional football can win in Lubbock, TT ran niche systems when successful that didn't require prototype players, so recruiting was easier. Going up against LSU, OU and A&M for OL & DL in Lubbock? Gonna be interesting.
Mitch Henessey
Joey wouldn't be the first person to meet an early demise in Lubbock.
FLBear5630
DanaDane said:

"I will die here at Texas Tech." -- Joey McGuire

My thought is lets hope it doesn't come to that...
PartyBear
Mitch Henessey said:

Joey wouldn't be the first person to meet an early demise in Lubbock.

For McGuire it's win/win regardless of what it is for Tech. He goes from High School coach making about 100k 5 seasons ago to getting reportedly 20 million over the next 6 years even if he isn't working 3 years from now.

But yes his reported coordinator candidates is a bit underwhelming. Cumbie is owed about 1.75 million or so if he is fired. The other candidates for OC appear to be Tech people as well. So if it is Cumbie it would appear that Tech isn't throwing money into the program and McGuire isn't exactly backed enough to have who he wants on staff. Kind of like we used to do, which was bad for us at least.
LIB,MR BEARS
Budget info

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/board/102951/Contents/contract-and-assistant-pool-details-174942633/?page=1
Robert Wilson
If McGuire wants to have a tough team and a good defense, he's got to run the ball. His OC choices are a bit underwhelming, but I'm probably looking closest at the WVU guy.
PartyBear
I wonder if he wants a new OC whether the 1.75 million or so owed to Cumbie comes out of that 3.7 million staff budget for this year?

I'm going to guess Cumbie still has a lot of support among the Tech faithful.
LIB,MR BEARS
Robert Wilson said:

If McGuire wants to have a tough team and a good defense, he's got to run the ball. His OC choices are a bit underwhelming, but I'm probably looking closest at the WVU guy.
his "reported" OC choices. I'm guessing he will have a balanced attack and I bet his OC is not on the reported list
bear2be2
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Robert Wilson said:

his "reported" OC choices. I'm guessing he will have a balanced attack and I bet his OC is not on the reported list
His comment on complementary football was telling. That's the Matt Rhule influence. He's not going to run an offense that undermines what his defense is trying to do IMO.
Media Bear
Bear8084 said:

DanaDane said:

Wasn't there a coach several years ago who allegedly declared in a TV interview "they'll have to care me out of here in a pine box" and then he was gone 2 days later to another job?
Yup. The same one that left a confused recruit the check at the table.
Same one who is a sleazy U.S. Senator from Alabama now ... which is so fitting, is it not?
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
blackie
Bill Beale was all excited at Baylor. Heck, he painted everything green. We know how that turned out. A new coach has to go overboard on hype when they are hired. There is no other alternative that makes sense. Only time will tell if he does well, or if this was Hocutt's last football hire at Tech.......and someone else is doing it a little ways down the road.
FLBear5630
no-one said:

Quote:

If I was a Tech fan, I'd have loved hearing him say 'We are gonna have a brand. My wife could come up here and recite it. We are gonna be the toughest, hardest working, most competitive team in the country. That's our brand. Tough teams are hard to beat."
If that is his mantra, then at TT, he will have a very successful career. West Texans pride themselves as being exceptionally tough and hard workers, and yes, they are very competitive people. So, if he can recruit West Texans, and the Dallas-Ft Worth area, then he is one to watch.
You do not compete nationally by recruiting locally or regionally. Front line players do not go to Lubbock, even Leach who had a National reputation didn't recruit well nationally and 12th was the highest he finished. Leach took Wash St by Spokane to #10 to put in perspective. Tech will be a solid mid-Bowl level school due to its location. I love the school, been to several conferences there and lived in the Panhandle for several years.
PartyBear
The panhandle/deep west Texas is tough geographically and demographically. Perhaps not as tough as Pullman, but it is in the neighborhood.
Robert Wilson
RMF5630 said:

Tech will be a solid mid-Bowl level school due to its location.
Yeah, I think that's a win there, especially if you occasionally challenge for a conference title (Spike Dykes, Grant Teaff, Gary Patterson, possibly Baylor now...). And will keep a coach with a good personality there for a long time and well paid.
FLBear5630
Robert Wilson said:

RMF5630 said:

Tech will be a solid mid-Bowl level school due to its location.
Yeah, I think that's a win there, especially if you occasionally challenge for a conference title (Spike Dykes, Grant Teaff, Gary Patterson, possibly Baylor now...). And will keep a coach with a good personality there for a long time and well paid.
Agree with everything you say!
bear2be2
RMF5630 said:

no-one said:

Quote:

If I was a Tech fan, I'd have loved hearing him say 'We are gonna have a brand. My wife could come up here and recite it. We are gonna be the toughest, hardest working, most competitive team in the country. That's our brand. Tough teams are hard to beat."
If that is his mantra, then at TT, he will have a very successful career. West Texans pride themselves as being exceptionally tough and hard workers, and yes, they are very competitive people. So, if he can recruit West Texans, and the Dallas-Ft Worth area, then he is one to watch.
You do not compete nationally by recruiting locally or regionally. Front line players do not go to Lubbock, even Leach who had a National reputation didn't recruit well nationally and 12th was the highest he finished. Leach took Wash St by Spokane to #10 to put in perspective. Tech will be a solid mid-Bowl level school due to its location. I love the school, been to several conferences there and lived in the Panhandle for several years.
I've said before and will maintain that the Leach era is likely Tech's ceiling due to location/geographical isolation, and that both Baylor and TCU are better jobs with higher ceilings. With that said, I don't think it would be that difficult to get Tech back to a point where they're winning seven or eight games a year, and there's plenty of talent in West Texas and the Metroplex to stock that type of program.

Joey has just the kind of dynamism and recruiting energy needed to help that program maximize its potential. And as an added bonus, it sounds like he's going to try to break the Air Raid cycle that has throttled Tech's progress since Leach was run off.
PartyBear
Which reported OC candidate is going to do that?
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Which reported OC candidate is going to do that?
That's all idle speculation at this point. I put more stock into what Joey said, which is that Tech will run the ball, play complementary football and play good defense. None of those goals are accomplished out of the Air Raid.
PartyBear
I remember when Dave Roberts took over at Baylor he said something along the lines in his initial remarks to the public that the football is going to be flying all over Floyd Casey Stadium under his watch. Indicating a new pass happy offense was coming to town.
Porteroso
br53 said:

Lubbock is where his coaching career will die.

It's definitely an uphill battle at a place like Tech. They will have to really commit to a HC to turn it around. Most schools don't. They feel entitled to wins now, next year. Giving a coach the chance to have 2 or 3 bad seasons before turning it around is just not in fashion.

McGuire may be their guy, but Tech might just not be his place.
boognish_bear
Russell Gym
Speaks more to a weak Baylor fan showing.
PartyBear
More like speaks to a falsehood. Did McGuire really say that or someone else.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

More like speaks to a falsehood. Did McGuire really say that or someone else.
Yeah, I've been to all those games. It's not true.
BellCountyBear
boognish_bear said:

This is horse *****..red raiders know all about shoveling that.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.