I saw an article on the web about new restaurants etc looking at Waco.

16,741 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by trey3216
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SteamedHams said:

4th and Inches said:

SteamedHams said:

1outawayBear said:

I would not go out of my way for p Terry's

Some Austin chains I think could make it in Waco:

Taco deli (already expanded to dfw)

Maudies (better than any Tex mex in Waco by far)

Thunder cloud subs (way better than any sub option in Waco)
Waco's Asian restaurant offerings are beyond paltry, I would gladly take a few more Thai/Korean/Indian/Sushi places in town. If you like Thai, "Sway" in Austin is just, have mercy. I love Bangkok as much as the next guy in Waco, but I'd kill for that to come into town.
Safron on valley mills drive is good Indian/Pakistani food

East market over by di camplis has a little kitchen inside and a great variety of asian products for home use

Wacos asian food is very weak compared to DFW/Austin area
I do Saffron 1-2 a month, that place is great (and very authentic as every time I've been there their AC was out and it is sweltering). Their naan is delish also

I think I have put at least two East Market cashiers kids through college, we go there all the time. Also have a ton of absolutely and utterly bizarre Japanese candies that my kids love. Seriously weird stuff but they like it.

Union Hall does have a couple of offerings, in Koko Ramen (w/ Guess Brisket added, super tasty), Blasian Asian (meh) and Curry Up and Wok This Way, except everytime I've tried to eat there they were out of like, half their menu. If you are a Thai place and you are out of Pad Thai by 5:05pm, you are doing something wrong.

I think there is a new Pho place in Hewitt, and McGregor has a half Chinese, half donut shop I've tried to visit but they close up for the day with no real predictable pattern, so, never seen it actually open.

The new Vietnamese place in Hewitt is called Sugar Spice or something like that. I've seen some pictures that look absolutely legit and have talked to a few people that I trust who've eaten there and they said it was really good. Ol damn sure be headed by there sometime soon
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

4th and Inches said:

SteamedHams said:

1outawayBear said:

Waco's Asian restaurant offerings are beyond paltry, I would gladly take a few more Thai/Korean/Indian/Sushi places in town. If you like Thai, "Sway" in Austin is just, have mercy. I love Bangkok as much as the next guy in Waco, but I'd kill for that to come into town.

East market over by di camplis has a little kitchen inside and a great variety of asian products for home use

I do Saffron 1-2 a month, that place is great (and very authentic as every time I've been there their AC was out and it is sweltering). Their naan is delish also

I think I have put at least two East Market cashiers kids through college, we go there all the time. Also have a ton of absolutely and utterly bizarre Japanese candies that my kids love. Seriously weird stuff but they like it.

Union Hall does have a couple of offerings, in Koko Ramen (w/ Guess Brisket added, super tasty), Blasian Asian (meh) and Curry Up and Wok This Way, except everytime I've tried to eat there they were out of like, half their menu. If you are a Thai place and you are out of Pad Thai by 5:05pm, you are doing something wrong.

I think there is a new Pho place in Hewitt, and McGregor has a half Chinese, half donut shop I've tried to visit but they close up for the day with no real predictable pattern, so, never seen it actually open.

The new Vietnamese place in Hewitt is called Sugar Spice or something like that. I've seen some pictures that look absolutely legit and have talked to a few people that I trust who've eaten there and they said it was really good. Ol damn sure be headed by there sometime soon
When I have a popup food truck called Pho Shizzle that takes McLennan County by storm, I'll give half off to every SE365 member on their first visit.
PartyBear
Is the place in Hewitt just Pho? I loved Lyle's when it was in business.

The Indian place on Austin Ave is really good I think.
redfish961
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

4th and Inches said:

SteamedHams said:

1outawayBear said:

When I have a popup food truck called Pho Shizzle that takes McLennan County by storm, I'll give half off to every SE365 member on their first visit.
But will you have steamed hams?
SteamedHams
redfish961 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

4th and Inches said:

SteamedHams said:

1outawayBear said:

But will you have steamed hams?
I call them steamed hams despite the fact that they are obviously grilled.
4th and Inches
Definitely will be checking out the Pho place.. pho is one of my favorites!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
TechDawgMc
drahthaar said:

CorsicanaBear said:

How about a seafood place that is not Red Lobster? As lame as it is, a Landry's next to the Salt Grass would probably do quite well.

Somebody hustle a Sea Island!
It's just the one place in Austin, but Salt Traders would be a good addition. Solid quality seafood for being a long way from the sea.

While they aren't a chain, they are related to Jack Allen's -- and they are becoming a chain. So someone talk Salt Traders into branching out.
PartyBear
Salt Traders is excellent. There is one on 35 by exit 254. I cant remember if that is Round Rock or Georgetown. I'm not sure if that is the one you meant or not.
Nguyen One Soon
PartyBear said:

Salt Traders is excellent. There is one on 35 by exit 254. I cant remember if that is Round Rock or Georgetown. I'm not sure if that is the one you meant or not.
Round Rock. Ate there last night.
PartyBear
Saw reports this morning that Hillsboro may be getting a Buccees.
loanbear
PartyBear said:

That would be really surprising since they have one in Temple.
cowboycwr
loanbear said:

PartyBear said:

True there is one there but from Temple north there is nothing for a long. long way. Maybe they realize that for people driving between DFW and Waco there are none. I think they could build them that close on such a busy interstate and not hurt each other. Especially if they build it on the opposite side of the road from the Temple one.
loanbear
cowboycwr said:

loanbear said:

PartyBear said:

True there is one there but from Temple north there is nothing for a long. long way. Maybe they realize that for people driving between DFW and Waco there are none. I think they could build them that close on such a busy interstate and not hurt each other. Especially if they build it on the opposite side of the road from the Temple one.
I hope they do because I travel that way a lot and really like their concept. Just does not fit their normal MO to have them that close.
trey3216
loanbear said:

cowboycwr said:

loanbear said:

PartyBear said:

I hope they do because I travel that way a lot and really like their concept. Just does not fit their normal MO to have them that close.
They do have 2 that are fairly close to each other NW bound 290/6 coming out of Houston. Unless they closed down the smaller one after the Mega-Bucc was completed.
southtexasbear
That 35E and 35W area would be incredibly visible. Great spot imo.
CorsicanaBear
How did a thread about restaurants get on Buccee's? God forbid anyone should ever eat anything prepared there.

Besides, Buccee's = Aggy.
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

How did a thread about restaurants get on Buccee's? God forbid anyone should ever eat anything prepared there.

do you remember how many people here ***** about the price of bottled water and other things at our home games and a host of other things as well. Of course they eat the glorified dog food at Bucees.
cowboycwr
CorsicanaBear said:

I don't think I have ever eaten any of their prepared food but I do like to stop there knowing the restroom will be clean, have no line, and lots of other items to buy on long road trips.

With that said I have never heard anyone complain about the food there but also never heard of anyone wanting to stop there to eat so I would think it isn't great but it isn't trash food.
PartyBear
I drive by them frequently but have only stopped at one about 3-4 times. I have never eaten any of their food. I have not heard anything bad about it however. I was just reporting what I had seen reported and it seemed to make sense to add it to this thread since the article it was based on was not just regarding restaurants. I didnt think a new reported Buccees in Hillsboro merited a new thread with this one still near the top.
southtexasbear
PartyBear said:

I drive by them frequently but have only stopped at one about 3-4 times. I have never eaten any of their food. I have not heard anything bad about it however. I was just reporting what I had seen reported and it seemed to make sense to add it to this thread since the article it was based on was not just regarding restaurants. I didnt think a new reported Buccees in Hillsboro merited a new thread with this one still near the top.

It's ok. Thread and Original article is about new businesses to area. Restaurants kinda took over.

https://centraltxreporter.com/2022/02/06/77-businesses-building-or-expanding-in-waco-temple-killeen-region/
PartyBear
southtexasbear said:

I just looked at the story again. This is exactly the area of the proposed location. However I dont know the precise proposed location. In other words I dont know if it is literally right in the middle of that fork in the interstate and hence there would be an exit from both 35 E and 35 W or if is on one side or the other right after the split or right before the split.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

southtexasbear said:

I just looked at the story again. This is exactly the area of the proposed location. However I dont know the precise proposed location. In other words I dont know if it is literally right in the middle of that fork in the interstate and hence there would be an exit from both 35 E and 35 W or if is on one side or the other right after the split or right before the split.
Thought I heard on the news last night or the night before that Bucee's confirmed they had purchased land adjacent to the TA truck stop built a couple of years ago where old highway 77 veers off to the right toward Italy just south of the 35E/35W split.

Edit: here's the story from KWTX: https://www.kwtx.com/2022/02/21/buc-ees-officials-confirm-second-central-texas-location-is-works/
4th and Inches
Yep, that is the only place that makes sense along that section to put in a large truckstop like Bucees

If not there then it would have to be south of Hillsboro
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Nguyen One Soon
4th and Inches said:

Yep, that is the only place that makes sense along that section to put in a large truckstop like Bucees

BUC-EE'S Is not a truck stop. There are signs at every entrance saying no 18 wheelers allowed.
4th and Inches
Nguyen One Soon said:

4th and Inches said:

BUC-EE'S Is not a truck stop. There are signs at every entrance saying no 18 wheelers allowed.
my bad.. one of these days i will stop at one and check it out

–Horace

MrGolfguy
4th and Inches said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

4th and Inches said:

my bad.. one of these days i will stop at one and check it out

Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
TechDawgMc
PartyBear said:

That's the one. Really quality place -- Round Rock.
Yogi
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

southtexasbear said:

Thought I heard on the news last night or the night before that Bucee's confirmed they had purchased land adjacent to the TA truck stop built a couple of years ago where old highway 77 veers off to the right toward Italy just south of the 35E/35W split.

Edit: here's the story from KWTX: https://www.kwtx.com/2022/02/21/buc-ees-officials-confirm-second-central-texas-location-is-works/
It's a Bucee's.

I would think that would take Waco out of the running for a big Bucee's, but maybe a smaller store like they have in Cypress or Giddings wouldn't be bad.
Yogi
loanbear said:

PartyBear said:

No, they're far enough apart for the larger stores.

SameOldGerne
In town for a funeral. An old friend here shot me a text saying saying El Conquistador is his favorite Mexican restaurant option. Any "must order" items I should know about there? Maybe he'll reply eventually, but I thought I'd run it by the forum.
4th and Inches
SameOldGerne said:

In town for a funeral. An old friend here shot me a text saying saying El Conquistador is his favorite Mexican restaurant option. Any "must order" items I should know about there? Maybe he'll reply eventually, but I thought I'd run it by the forum.
which el con? I prefer bellmead because I think the salsa is better there.. the recipe at the two locations is slightly different (i know the family)

The charro beans are good. My wife really likes the queso.
SameOldGerne
I suppose Bellemead is closer. Dinner there tonight then. Will forego refrieds for charros. Thx
PartyBear
It isn't bad and I like it. That said perhaps 30-40 years ago your friend may have been right. But there are much better options now.

Nevermind, I thought the friend said it was the best option when he said it is his favorite option.
PartyBear
Just a follow up on the Hillsboro Buccee's, it reportedly will match in size the largest Buccee's that is set to open in Tennessee.
WILLIS
Whoever mentioned Jack Allens and Salt Traders hit the nail on the head. I lived next to the Jack Allens in Austin for 4 years and we were there twice a week. Great margs/bar and half price appetizer happy hour everyday. These are two restaurants that would crush it in Waco. Not too expensive to scare off local demographics. Fairly priced for extremely high quality food in a semi-upscale environment. Sort of dress it up as nice as you want or dress it down as casual. Salt Traders would be the best Seafood Waco has ever seen. Try the one in Round Rock the next time you're driving through. It's on I-35.

https://salttraderscc.com/

Waco cannot handle a Perlas or similar place but it can definitely do a Salt Traders type of seafood place. I think they are 10x better and fresher than larger chains like pappadeux while being much less expensive.

Someone needs to copy their concepts for Waco. Look at their menus and repeat it. TREY

Kept adding thoughts (4x edits)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.