More infrastructure changes on the way in the area.

8,117 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SSadler
SteamedHams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

glorified pigs in a blanket?

Objectively this was the best possible response. I regret that I had but one blue star to give.
SteamedHams
Bearpaw82 said:

This is the design plan for the current Loop 340 project.

Wowza, so the merge onto Highway 6 would not occur until you were almost all the way to Imperial? I definitely didn't picture that, interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.
Bear Doc
SteamedHams said:

Bearpaw82 said:

Wowza, so the merge onto Highway 6 would not occur until you were almost all the way to Imperial? I definitely didn't picture that, interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.
The other thing that was surprising was how early you will exit for Waco Dr/84 going Westbound, pretty much right after Central Texas Marketplace.
CorsicanaBear
Traffic engineers should never be the primary voice in designing roads. They prioritize flow through over access every time. Their wet dream is a highway with no on or off ramps. (This is obviously hyperbole but has a real kernel of truth).

The I-35 redesign, for example, will make it more difficult to use the highway to go from one point in Waco to another.

Through traffic is important, but local traffic is also important.
SteamedHams
Bear Doc said:

SteamedHams said:

Bearpaw82 said:

The other thing that was surprising was how early you will exit for Waco Dr/84 going Westbound, pretty much right after Central Texas Marketplace.
I am curious how this will all work with the potential future Highway 6/84 flyovers
BaylorGuy314
Bear Doc said:

SteamedHams said:

Bearpaw82 said:

I dont think that's quite right. It looks to be a few hundred yards after the Toyota dealership. Much farther back than now but about a mile past bagby/marketplace. Frankly, I'm supportive of this since there is no flyover and the exit ramp off 340 to get onto 84/waco drive backs up onto the loop frequently during certain parts of the day.
Coke Bear
T-REX said:

baylrballa said:

That's debatable.
no it's not debatable. Kolaches are not meat in dough. The only reason people started calling what you are eating at shipleys a kolache is because the same dough is used when making kolaches and klobsnk. However, that may not even hold true for the dough shipleys uses vs what others use for their klobasnik. Only in the US do we call that a kolache and it's a typical dumb American thing that is uncultured.
THIS!

What Shipley's sells is embarrassment to the work Klobsnk. Over-priced "Glorified pig-in-a-blanket" is more accurate.

My whole step-family is Czech. My brother(step-brother) and his wife own Gerik's Ole Czech Bakery in West.

Fruit filled - Kolaches
Meat filled - Klobsnk

SteamedHams
Coke Bear said:

T-REX said:

baylrballa said:

That's debatable.
no it's not debatable. Kolaches are not meat in dough. The only reason people started calling what you are eating at shipleys a kolache is because the same dough is used when making kolaches and klobsnk. However, that may not even hold true for the dough shipleys uses vs what others use for their klobasnik. Only in the US do we call that a kolache and it's a typical dumb American thing that is uncultured.
THIS!

What Shipley's sells is embarrassment to the work Klobsnk. Over-priced "Glorified pig-in-a-blanket" is more accurate.

My whole step-family is Czech. My brother(step-brother) and his wife own Gerik's Ole Czech Bakery in West.

Fruit filled - Kolaches
Meat filled - Klobsnk

That's fine having a bone to pick on kolache vs. klobsnk, but overpriced?

That all seems pretty reasonable given prices for everything now a days. Hell, a bacon egg and cheese taquito from Whataburger is $3.

Coke Bear
SteamedHams said:

That's fine having a bone to pick on kolache vs. klobsnk, but overpriced?

That all seems pretty reasonable given prices for everything now a days. Hell, a bacon egg and cheese taquito from Whataburger is $3.

Touche.

I've been buying donuts there for 20+ years. I guess I'm getting old when I don't want to pay more than $.50 per donut.

I don't eat breakfast any longer; but it would take me $10 of their "pigs in blankets" to satisfy me.
OsoCoreyell
Glad the infrastructure thread finally got around to the definition of kolaches. Long overdue.
Pseudo3D
The biggest issue with the Hewitt/84 interchange is not so much the stoplights, it's the fact of an additional stop-sign intersection before you can get on the highway again if you were heading back westbound. Any plans to do something about THAT?
Yogi
T-REX said:

baylrballa said:

That's debatable.
Well done, Professor. That is a terrific explanation, and I will add to your awesome thesis.

"Kolace" (spelled Kolache in Texanese) is the plural of kolac, a fruit-based pastry from the Czech culture. (sorry, I don't know how to add the accents). "Kolac" comes from the Czech word "Kola", which means "round".

"Klobasniki" is the plural of "Klobasnik", a Czexan word for a meat based pastry.

Klobasniki did not come over from the old country. They are Texas born by Czech immigrants.

The only thing they have in common with the kolac is the dough, and the dough has a specific recipe that Shipleys and other donut shops do not use.

But, that being said, I'll still order one every once in awhile.

[url=https://www.tasteatlas.com/kolach/recipe][/url]
cowboycwr
Last night I talked with someone that works for the county and was told that the county is protesting the Hewitt drive/84 proposal to get it changed do to numerous issues like the confusing nature of it, shopping centers that would have multiple entrances/exits closed, not being able to exit and go certain directions, etc.

From what I heard it sounded like TXDOT was at least listening, talking and open to discussing a redesign of that intersection.
PartyBear
What else can they do that will not cause a substantial taking of parking lot from the entitites at those 4 corners. I'm not thinking there is enough land to do clover leaf exits and entrances from 84 to Hewitt Dr and Estates without doing that for example.
Bear Doc
PartyBear said:

What else can they do that will not cause a substantial taking of parking lot from the entitites at those 4 corners. I'm not thinking there is enough land to do clover leaf exits and entrances from 84 to Hewitt Dr and Estates without doing that for example.
One thing that may help is adding on dedicated U-turn bridges in both directions like they are doing at Bagby over Highway 6. This would help with a lot of the main lane congestion I think...
baylrballa
cowboycwr said:

Last night I talked with someone that works for the county and was told that the county is protesting the Hewitt drive/84 proposal to get it changed do to numerous issues like the confusing nature of it, shopping centers that would have multiple entrances/exits closed, not being able to exit and go certain directions, etc.

From what I heard it sounded like TXDOT was at least listening, talking and open to discussing a redesign of that intersection.

they messed up a bit not widening that corridor when the old jr high got torn down. just not much room.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

It wasn't an issue of taking parking spaces to widen the road. It was an issue of closing entrances to the parking lots.

As in forcing all cars going into or out of some of the shopping centers to use only one entrance/exit as well as the lack of being able to access this entrance/exit point if coming certain directions.

Like if you are heading west and exit to hewitt drive there would be certain directions you would not be able to go.
PartyBear
I understand but it seems like other options involve taking (having to purchase) property to modifiy.
Grimm
whitetrash said:

baylrballa said:

I think the only place where they have done that type of intersection is by the outlet mall and IKEA in Round Rock. It is the perfect example of a total fustercluck.
That's where I've seen it... you have to go like 12 miles out of the way to get on 35 from the Ikea...
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

you have to go like 12 miles out of the way to get on 35 from the Ikea...
Like I said upthread. Never let traffic engineers design roads. They prioritize flow over access every time.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

I understand but it seems like other options involve taking (having to purchase) property to modifiy.
Which is probably better to do than creating a design and building it to help that intersection flow better only to have a busy shopping center's only access/egress point cause backups of traffic.
1outawayBear
wichwagon
it is all necessary but will be more or less a complete cluster during the construction process.
cowboycwr
So this weekend I was driving by the marketplace and while at the light on Bagby waiting to go over 6 I was thinking about the construction there. The traffic is almost always backed up of people going to the marketplace. The lights are short, two lanes is not enough and the solution that TXDOT thought that area needed was dedicated turn around bridges?

I have not noticed many people exiting 6 needing to turn back around the opposite direction, just lots that exit to go to the shopping center. Not sure what they bridge is going to solve.
Coke Bear
cowboycwr said:

I have not noticed many people exiting 6 needing to turn back around the opposite direction, just lots that exit to go to the shopping center. Not sure what they bridge is going to solve.
For the most part, I agree; however, the turn arounds will most likely be used for the commercial traffic on the north side of the Loop.

As that area grows more for shopping, the traffic is only going to get worse. As teen, my mom lived in Hewitt. Bagby was an awesome short cut to that area. Now the combined traffic and additional lights on Bagby have made that route much more time consuming. My best bet is to take Imperial now.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

For the most part, I agree; however, the turn arounds will most likely be used for the commercial traffic on the north side of the Loop.

As that area grows more for shopping, the traffic is only going to get worse. As teen, my mom lived in Hewitt. Bagby was an awesome short cut to that area. Now the combined traffic and additional lights on Bagby have made that route much more time consuming. My best bet is to take Imperial now.
Shhhh. Don't tell everyone
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
OldBurlyBear86
T-REX said:

baylrballa said:

What about those Canadians who call ham bacon. How do they get away with that?
they are wrong
and uncultured!!!
wichwagon

get-mobdro.com

WacoKelly83
May have more of an impact once the Amazon warehouse opens. Could be designed for alternate access or egress to the warehouse for trucks. Gonna be a mess once that thing is fully operational.
Bexar Pitts
WacoKelly83 said:

May have more of an impact once the Amazon warehouse opens. Could be designed for alternate access or egress to the warehouse for trucks. Gonna be a mess once that thing is fully operational.
"Gonna be a mess ......." Bingo!
cowboycwr
Coke Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

I can see the handful of vehicles that will use the turn around to get to the north side commercial places will see that was beneficial.

To me it is a bridge to nowhere type government project. The traffic is bad going over the bridge both ways to get in or out of the market place so they build turn around bridges.... which basically does nothing for the traffic.
cowboycwr
WacoKelly83 said:

Using either of the turn around bridges will only take a vehicle back onto 6. So it won't take them to the Amazon facility at all.
Bexar Pitts
cowboycwr said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Using either of the turn around bridges will only take a vehicle back onto 6. So it won't take them to the Amazon facility at all.
I'm truly hoping that traffic planners have forecasted accurately the huge amount of truck traffic that enters/exits a facilty of this magnitude. I will admit that i'm not overly optimistic , mainly due to the simple volume of trucks. Google Amazon fullfillment centers traffic problems...there have apparently been a few.
Bear Doc
I really don't think the Amazon trucks will be traversing that intersection as much as we think. To get out, they will come down the Highway 6 south access road and go straight through the light. Coming in off of I-35, it makes more sense for them to stay on the I-35 southbound access road and turn on Corporation just past Hillcrest to come in that way. Come to think of it, they could get out that way as well....
WacoKelly83
I apologize. I was thinking of the Bagby bridge. Doh!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.