Grand Waco Burger Tour

24,487 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HillCountryRanchingBEAR
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to start this up again like I had on Bfans back in the day with a tour of Waco's best alll the way down to just decent burger places. I'll post pics and reviews of each burger. I will warn you though I prefer a Cheeseburger with meat, cheese, and mustard only saving all that healthy stuff for a later date so that will probably influence my results in a way that doesn't match yours. Recommend me some places and I'll visit it and add it to the rankings. I had Cupps #1 in the old thread, but I'll start brand new since I'm sure my tastebuds have changed in the last 5 or 6 years. I plan on having 2 or 3 a week at lunch exclusively but can expand if we get a lot of good options.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Bear Doc
BaylorHistory said:

I'm going to start this up again like I had on Bfans back in the day with a tour of Waco's best alll the way down to just decent burger places. I'll post pics and reviews of each burger. I will warn you though I prefer a Cheeseburger with meat, cheese, and mustard only saving all that healthy stuff for a later date so that will probably influence my results in a way that doesn't match yours. Recommend me some places and I'll visit it and add it to the rankings. I had Cupps #1 in the old thread, but I'll start brand new since I'm sure my tastebuds have changed in the last 5 or 6 years. I plan on having 2 or 3 a week at lunch exclusively but can expand if we get a lot of good options.
Hopefully Crestor at the ready!
Mr Tulip
If you're familiar with the Sanger area near the Richland Mall (dare I reference the old "Spenco" buildings?), there's a small convenience store gas station connected to a few "strip mall" type stores right before you start crossing the bridge over Loop 340.

"Tom's Burgers" is a small outfit in that joint. Used to have the best burgers I found in the city. I'd be interested to see if they're still any good.

(Of course, since I ride by it on the bike every day, I suppose I could stop in myself)
BaylorHistory
Bear Doc said:

BaylorHistory said:

Hopefully Crestor at the ready!
The joys of being 34 with no family history of cardiovascular troubles.

Cancer is apparently going to kick my ass though.
BaylorHistory
Mr Tulip said:

If you're familiar with the Sanger area near the Richland Mall (dare I reference the old "Spenco" buildings?), there's a small convenience store gas station connected to a few "strip mall" type stores right before you start crossing the bridge over Loop 340.

"Tom's Burgers" is a small outfit in that joint. Used to have the best burgers I found in the city. I'd be interested to see if they're still any good.

(Of course, since I ride by it on the bike every day, I suppose I could stop in myself)
I work right by there so I'll walk over there one day soon for sure. I think it was ranked somewhere in the middle last time, but I love the old school burger shop atmosphere.
BaylorHistory
Live look at me in a couple decades (minus it being solely McDonalds)

BaylorHistory
First up is Whizzbang's (Lake Air Location)

I remember this one ended up near the bottom last time, but I enjoyed it this time. I found it to be solid but nothing special in a city of good burgers.

Current Stnadings:
1.) Whizzbangs
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

OsoCoreyell
I like whizbangs, but I hate a bun that turns into white mush.
Coke Bear
BaylorHistory said:

I assume Double R is on your list to sample.

Are you going to include George's? I find their burgers better than Bubba's. It would be interesting to see how they fair on your list.

I'd also like to see how you rate Whataburger on that list.

4th and Inches
Coke Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Are you going to include George's? I find their burgers better than Bubba's. It would be interesting to see how they fair on your list.

strongly recommend a double or triple whatburger junior if you put whataburger on the list

Usually have great burger- Cupps, Daves, Toms, Capt Billy, Dubl R, Kims, Kitoks, Twisted Root, Jakes, Christis, Health camp,

In and Out is my fav fast food burger right now
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BaylorHistory
Coke Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Yes to all of the above. Im not really a fan of some spice that I've found in common with Dubl-R and Dave's though I can tell they're both really well made. I'll hit them both up again for this experiment.

I generally rate Whataburger fairly high if you get a hot and fresh one. A sleeper pick to win it all is Christi's in Bellmead. That's a favorite of mine, but it'll take a lot to overcome Cupp's.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Whataburger,
Sonic double cheese jalepeno burger
Georges
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Scratchy Bear
Glad to see some votes for Christi's in Bellmead. Quite possibly the most underrated and best-kept secret in the Waco area. A true dive and good folks who run it.

Dave's also gets high marks from me.

I can only handle about one burger a month now, but when I do, I want one where the grease and juice has soaked through the wrapper and where I can use an even greasier french fry to scrape the bits of melted cheese off of said wrapper.
BaylorGuy314
Local favs:

Cupps
Dbl-R
Christi's
Whizzbangs
Toms
Kitoks (liplocker with cheese)

Of those, Christi's is my favorite but it's also (by far) the least convenient. Dbl-R is also way too far out the way. Wish they had something on the southwest side of town. I used to work closer to Tom's and would get a double meat, double cheese regularly. Always really good but probably not my favorite.

I'm not a huge fan of Kitoks. It's a solid burger but there are chains in town that are quite a bit better (IMO).

I'd probably go Christi's, Cupps, Dbl-R, Whizzbangs, Toms, Kitoks in that order if I was ranking them.
BaylorGuy314
Can't believe I forgot Dave's in my post. Really solid burgers there but even less convenient than Christi's
Coke Bear
I'll have to try Christie's again. I work on the north side of town, so it's actually convenient to me.

I tried it once several years ago and found the burger small and dry. I don't remember anything special about the fries.

I tried to beat the Zipper-Ripper at Dave's several years ago, but I pulled up with about about 2 minutes left when I realized I wasn't going to finish. I had about a patty and a half left with some fries.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I stopped getting the burger at Kitoks and just get the oriental fries. I used to get both but i cant eat as much as i used to and burger is pretty average.
SSadler
Mr Tulip said:

I'll vouch for "Toms". And I do "vouch" there weekly at least once.
WacoKelly83
Harris Creek Hamburgers. Across from McGregor Airport in the convenience store. Good old-fashioned burgers. Hidden gem.
Scratchy Bear
Coke Bear said:

I'll have to try Christie's again. I work on the north side of town, so it's actually convenient to me.

I tried it once several years ago and found the burger small and dry. I don't remember anything special about the fries.

I tried to beat the Zipper-Ripper at Dave's several years ago, but I pulled up with about about 2 minutes left when I realized I wasn't going to finish. I had about a patty and a half left with some fries.
Christi's does use a smaller bun, but you can get the burgers stacked as high as you like. You can also get the 'bun' made out of two grilled cheese sandwiches. Their fries are indeed average, so I usually opt for tater tots.

Dave's fries on the other hand are outstanding (fresh cut), but I get them without the seasoning which I don't care for.
Coke Bear
Scratchy Bear said:

Dave's fries on the other hand are outstanding (fresh cut), but I get them without the seasoning which I don't care for.
I believe they use sugar on their fries.

I love sugar, but for 50 years I'm used to seeing and feeling at white, crystalline substance on my fries and TASTING salt. When I tasted the sugar and possess a 50-year paradigm of salt, I was completely thrown off.

I'll ask for them without the seasoning next time I'm there.
BaylorHistory
WacoKelly83 said:

Harris Creek Hamburgers. Across from McGregor Airport in the convenience store. Good old-fashioned burgers. Hidden gem.
That's actually may be the only one on this thread so far that I haven't tried yet. Added!
BaylorHistory
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Sonic double cheese jalepeno burger

I ain't above it, but I get a cold one about 50% of the time.
Miner1973a
My favorite fast food burger is the California burger at Freddy's.
Lund Vernquist
Unpopular opinion but Freddy's tops my fast food burger list too, and whoever's second isn't close.
Bear Doc
The Freddy's slogan is the anti-Arby's....

We don't have the meats!
Scratchy Bear
Freddy's is pretty respectable for a fast food burger. Decent hot dogs as well. I can't get behind those shoestring potatoes that try to pass for french fries though.
4th and Inches
Scratchy Bear said:

Freddy's is pretty respectable for a fast food burger. Decent hot dogs as well. I can't get behind those shoestring potatoes that try to pass for french fries though.
i really like the in and out burger but a cant stand the fries.. absolute trash

Really like the crust of freddys patties but wish they were thicker or had substance between the crust
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Alf
WacoKelly83 said:

Yep, they had a location in Hewitt on Sun Valley but sadly closed recently. McGregor location is too far away for me to get a burger.
BaylorHistory
Day 2 is Hat Creek Burger Company which is chain out of Austin (I believe).

It had been a year or two since I visited and thought I liked them ok and it was pretty good. It won't finish in first but it did beat Whizzbangs.

Current Standings:
1.) Hat Creek
2.) Whizzbangs
3.)
4.)
5.)

Bear Doc
BaylorHistory said:

It had been a year or two since I visited and though I liked them ok and it was pretty good. It won't finish in first but it did beat Whizzbangs.

Current Standings:
1.) Hat Creek
2.) Whizzbangs
3.)
4.)
5.)

You have lost me here. I think Hat Creek is one of the worst burgers in town. It is fine if you want to let your kids play on a playground during dinner but the food every time I have been has been overly greasy and bland.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Good looking burger. Burgers up here are frozen patties wafer thin and cost $15. soda drink and and fries over $20.
BaylorHistory
Bear Doc said:

BaylorHistory said:

It had been a year or two since I visited and though I liked them ok and it was pretty good. It won't finish in first but it did beat Whizzbangs.

Current Standings:
1.) Hat Creek
2.) Whizzbangs
3.)
4.)
5.)

You have lost me here. I think Hat Creek is one of the worst burgers in town. It is fine if you want to let your kids play on a playground during dinner but the food every time I have been has been overly greasy and bland.
What you posted is what I expected as I don't frequent the place for a reason, but I was the only one in line and got a piping hot one that was rather enjoyable. It ain't gonna win this esteemed contest but I was surprised by the quality for a "chain".
60R
Where can you find a burger with a sour dough bun in Waco?
WacoKelly83
Twisted Root perhaps? I'm not positive

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.