China Spring - 4 Day School Week

9,466 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by cowboycwr
loanbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

cowboycwr said:

Instead of 4 day school weeks I wish more districts would go to year round school with the breaks spread out more. It can be done where you still get a long break in summer, maybe the whole month of July, and it doesn't impact sports, college entrance, etc. and improves all aspects of school from discipline, attendance, grades, graduation rates, test scores, teacher burnout, etc.

Is this opinion based on any facts? You sound like you know it here but later say you would like to see data.

The traditional calendar for most schools in America dates back to most kids being needed to work the family farm during summer. Of course thats out dated now.

Breaking the school year into more frequent but smaller breaks may help in minimizing the flatline learnimg curve during three month of summer. Teachers spend a month reteahing skills learned the previous year. It would probably be best for the kids in that way.

However it might hurt teacher retention. As long as the teacher schedule matches the student schedule i think it wouldnt be thst negative. It is something to think about. Many schools are desperate for teachers and wind up hiring freaks out of desperation to fill the schedule.

The arguments I have seen for year round school appear to be based in facts. They often link to studies done on it.

Since I am not in any sort of position to push for year round school anywhere I have not spent much time looking deep into it to see if 4 day week is better or if year round is better. That was what I said about wanting to see the data. Which is better.

Many countries that are consistently ranked ahead of us use a year round model. Many districts in TX and other states that have shown improvement have used year round calendars. But now recently (last 5-10 years) it seems this 4 day model has become more popular. I am sure there are studies that compare both and what is better but I have not spent the time to look it up.
I wish Midway would go to this. Summer is the worst time in a lot of places to vacation in addition to the fact that everyone is vacationing at the same time. Would love to spread that out throughout the year.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Comments deleted as I want nothing to do with where this discussion is going.
cowboycwr
BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Instead of 4 day school weeks I wish more districts would go to year round school with the breaks spread out more. It can be done where you still get a long break in summer, maybe the whole month of July, and it doesn't impact sports, college entrance, etc. and improves all aspects of school from discipline, attendance, grades, graduation rates, test scores, teacher burnout, etc.
I doubt year round school will prevent teacher burnout. Like I'd be willing to bet The King Ranch that year round school will not help with teacher burnout in any form or fashion.
I think it is something that would help and something that some studies should be done on, if not already done, to see if it helps.

I haven't looked at it a lot but teacher burnout reduction is always one of the pros I have seen for year round school so I would think there is something behind that claim (data, retention, teachers reporting less stress, etc.) for it to be used but it could just be a talking point.

I'd rather look into it to see if it is a solution for many areas posted above then just dismiss it without facts.
I'm not dismissing it outright without facts. I'm married to a teacher. Her mom was a teacher. Her friends are mostly teachers. From February on during the school year, they are counting down the days until it is over.
reason number 472983 to home school your kids
It's not the teachers' fault. You should come sit at the dinner table and listen to the crap I have to hear about her work....every damn day. It's a nightmare what our public school teachers have to put up with these days.
It's amazing how infallible and omniscient Junior really is as he punches other kids on a daily basis and school district just shrugs and moves on.
As Trey said that is not the teacher's fault. Sometimes it isn't even the District's fault. It is the state legislature or the court system.

for example did you know there are laws in place that say a child below 3rd grade CANNOT be suspended? Except for very specific drug, weapon, or other serious cases. Assault is in there but the courts have stepped in several times to say a single punch is not assault by a young child. Or the laws in place for special education students. Or any of the many others that have tied schools hands in many cases.
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

I doubt year round school will prevent teacher burnout. Like I'd be willing to bet The King Ranch that year round school will not help with teacher burnout in any form or fashion.
I think it is something that would help and something that some studies should be done on, if not already done, to see if it helps.

I haven't looked at it a lot but teacher burnout reduction is always one of the pros I have seen for year round school so I would think there is something behind that claim (data, retention, teachers reporting less stress, etc.) for it to be used but it could just be a talking point.

I'd rather look into it to see if it is a solution for many areas posted above then just dismiss it without facts.
I'm not dismissing it outright without facts. I'm married to a teacher. Her mom was a teacher. Her friends are mostly teachers. From February on during the school year, they are counting down the days until it is over.
It's not the teachers' fault. You should come sit at the dinner table and listen to the crap I have to hear about her work....every damn day. It's a nightmare what our public school teachers have to put up with these days.
It's amazing how infallible and omniscient Junior really is as he punches other kids on a daily basis and school district just shrugs and moves on.
As Trey said that is not the teacher's fault. Sometimes it isn't even the District's fault. It is the state legislature or the court system.

for example did you know there are laws in place that say a child below 3rd grade CANNOT be suspended? Except for very specific drug, weapon, or other serious cases. Assault is in there but the courts have stepped in several times to say a single punch is not assault by a young child. Or the laws in place for special education students. Or any of the many others that have tied schools hands in many cases.

Sure did, my wife is a 2nd grade teacher and they had a student in a team mate's class that they couldn't do anything about that was beating up on teachers/students until the state institutionalized him for a while on a different matter. It was a sad situation where even with physical violence that district didn't or couldn't do much.
JL
BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Sure did, my wife is a 2nd grade teacher and they had a student in a team mate's class that they couldn't do anything about that was beating up on teachers/students until the state institutionalized him for a while on a different matter. It was a sad situation where even with physical violence that district didn't or couldn't do much.
Like I said, homeschool your kids. The system will never be able to care for your kid like you do.
sipembeers
JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Like I said, homeschool your kids. The system will never be able to care for your kid like you do.

Just like you won't be able to properly educate kids like qualified teachers do.

Looking back at COVID lockdown. In 6 months many students fell so far behind because their parents couldn't/ didn't want to spend the time to do the minimum that schools asked.

Keep pushing home school though.
JL
sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Just like you won't be able to properly educate kids like qualified teachers do.

Looking back at COVID lockdown. In 6 months many students fell so far behind because their parents couldn't/ didn't want to spend the time to do the minimum that schools asked.

"qualified teachers" haha, ok

"Since 1995, Texas law has allowed school districts to issue a school district teaching permit (SDTP) to someone who does not hold a teaching certificate (Texas Education Code 21.055). A teacher employed on a school district teaching permit is not certified by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)." -- directly from the TEA website

but whatever makes you feel better about that public school education
trey3216
JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

"Since 1995, Texas law has allowed school districts to issue a school district teaching permit (SDTP) to someone who does not hold a teaching certificate (Texas Education Code 21.055). A teacher employed on a school district teaching permit is not certified by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)." -- directly from the TEA website

that doesn't mean they're indefinitely hired without a permit. You have to get the permit eventually. I could get hired to teach tomorrow if I wanted to. I don't have a permit, but I have a Master's Degree in a field that works well in teaching quite a few subjects. I'd still have to get a permit eventually, and I wouldn't be paid requisitely until I did.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
cowboycwr
JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

All that means is that a person can be a teacher WHILE working to get their certification. Which means taking a few courses at an alternative certification program and then taking a few tests (subject and "teaching" test).

They still have to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree.

The teachers certification is just another extra qualification.

Someone with their PhD that spent 30 years teaching college and decided they wanted to teach high school as a second career would technically not be a "certified teacher" and would fall under that category.

So would the 20 year military vet who wants to lead a JROTC program.

Or the 20 year welder, mechanic, etc. that wanted to teach a technical/career class.

JL
trey3216 said:

JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

that doesn't mean they're indefinitely hired without a permit. You have to get the permit eventually. I could get hired to teach tomorrow if I wanted to. I don't have a permit, but I have a Master's Degree in a field that works well in teaching quite a few subjects. I'd still have to get a permit eventually, and I wouldn't be paid requisitely until I did.
But just think of all the little Johnny's and Suzy's that weren't "properly educated" before you became a "qualified teacher"
trey3216
JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

But just think of all the little Johnny's and Suzy's that weren't "properly educated" before you became a "qualified teacher"
But just think about all the awkward, unhireable home taught kids that have zero interpersonal skills and think the David statue is pornographic. Go for it. There are a subset of folks that can properly raise and school kids at home. The vast majority of the country has a hard time doing A, let alone saddling up B.
JL
trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

But just think about all the awkward, unhireable home taught kids that have zero interpersonal skills and think the David statue is pornographic. Go for it. There are a subset of folks that can properly raise and school kids at home. The vast majority of the country has a hard time doing A, let alone saddling up B.
Doesn't sound like any home school kids I know.
trey3216
JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

I'm glad that your kids are experts at talking to you.

Many of the home-schooled kids I have dealt with are 100% as I described.
JL
trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

I'm glad that your kids are experts at talking to you.

Many of the home-schooled kids I have dealt with are 100% as I described.
I wasn't talking about my kids
BUbearinARK
1outawayBear
JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

sipembeers said:

JL said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

JL said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Literally sounds like every homeschool
Kid I knew.

For example, a very good friend of mine who played at baylor and in the nfl etc….who is now super successful in life, was homeschooled till 7th grade. I was literally his only real friend in 6th grade before he went to public school because we were a couple doors down etc. his first year and half in middle school he was known as a great athlete but so socially awkward. It was not until high school that he seemed to properly adjust socially.
FrankFallonCalling
I would add that schools are the one of the few public institutions where we risk meeting and sharing meaningful time with people unlike us.

In an increasingly siloed world, our kids share classrooms, lunch tables, and lockerooms with people different than them. As parents, we share bleachers and negotiate sleepovers with other parents unlike us. In a democracy, this is essential and I think that we can all agree that a little more mutual understanding would be beneficial.

The retreatism behind some (not all) decisions to homeschool is the opposite of that.
cowboycwr
Home school just isn't an option for so much of our population.

There is the issue of having to work but also the issue of so much of our population not having an education themselves.

When I was in high school my younger brothers friends a few houses down were taken out of middle school to be home schooled by their high school dropout mom. She homeschooled them the rest of MS and HS. And this was BEFORE the availability of online homeschool sites, curriculum, etc.

There is also a large portion of our population that is Spanish speaking only, usually with about a 6th grade education and they often cannot read Spanish. So there is no way they could even attempt to teach their children what they need to know, especially not anything in English.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
It has changed a bit but 10 years ago (the last time I worked in Texas) there was a law that if a student mise more than 10 days they were fined in court. Several parents I knew pulled their kids out and claimed they were home schooling. They did this because they were such poor parents they couldnt get their teenager out of bed and didnt want to pay the $100 a day fine.

I was once upset about an assignment my 4th grade daughter was assigned. I looked into home schooling. My dad (the wisest man I ever knew) pointed out that while he had no doubt my wife and could teach our daughter at home, he was concerned about her socialization. With homeschooling our daughter would have learned to perform for only two teacher. At school she would work for many teachers and learn various strategies to being successful. I am glad I listened to them. My kids attended a wide variety of schools while I coached. Sometimes they were the minority. Sometimes they were way down the economical scale. Sometimes they were near the top.

I know homeschooling has gotten better. I dont think it can compare to the multiracial society my children have grown up, worked in, and thrived in.
JL
Well, if that "socialization" is teaching girls they might actually be boys, I think I'll pass.
FrankFallonCalling
JL said:

Well, if that "socialization" is teaching girls they might actually be boys, I think I'll pass.

Where do you live man? I can say with 100% certainty that this does not appear in the Texas curriculum standards.
trey3216
FrankFallonCalling said:

JL said:

Where do you live man? I can say with 100% certainty that this does not appear in the Texas curriculum standards.
he lives in a fantasy world directed by Tucker and friends.
JL
FrankFallonCalling said:

JL said:

Sorry, didn't think this was a serious question. Bullying isn't in the school curriculum either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
JL
trey3216 said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

JL said:

he lives in a fantasy world directed by Tucker and friends.
I don't watch Fox News. Try harder.
FrankFallonCalling
JL said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

JL said:

Sorry, didn't think this was a serious question. Bullying isn't in the school curriculum either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

When you said "teaching," I assumed (incorrectly perhaps) that you meant it was being done by a teacher. When a teacher acts outside of the curriculum standards in Texas, a parent and administrator's ability to address an issue is pretty broad.

Maybe your intention is exclusively snark. Apologies for giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
If you re worried sbout your children and gender identification you should probably get your family some professional help. It doesnt start at school.

The bullying problem has always existed. I had a bully bother me Brookview Methodist Church kindergarten in Waco. His name was Archie. After three or four incidents my dad took me in the backyard snd showed me how to make a fist and told me to pop Archie right in the mouth. Once was enough.

Much more difficult with girls. Luckily my daughter never complained to me about bullies
cowboycwr
Connally ISD approved a modified 4 day week calendar for next year.

Basically, some students will be at school on Friday for extra tutoring but only for 4 hours and then teachers have planning time. Other Fridays would be no students at all..

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/04/12/connally-isd-approves-new-calendar-assist-students-needing-more-help/
sipembeers
cowboycwr said:

Connally ISD approved a modified 4 day week calendar for next year.

Basically, some students will be at school on Friday for extra tutoring but only for 4 hours and then teachers have planning time. Other Fridays would be no students at all..

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/04/12/connally-isd-approves-new-calendar-assist-students-needing-more-help/

Almost an identical calendar to CS.
Mike E
Marlin ISD moving to 4 day week as well

1outawayBear
Mike E said:

I'm sure this will help their piss poor school system lol
UrsinusInfction
1outawayBear said:

Mike E said:

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/08/15/marlin-isd-receives-their-best-tea-score-ten-years-with-an-increase-30-points-2019/
1outawayBear
UrsinusInfction said:

1outawayBear said:

Mike E said:

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/08/15/marlin-isd-receives-their-best-tea-score-ten-years-with-an-increase-30-points-2019/

But they still aren't accredited by TEa, correct?
UrsinusInfction
1outawayBear said:

UrsinusInfction said:

1outawayBear said:

Mike E said:

As of 2022, they are accredited. It's a rare pandemic-era success story in Texas education.

https://tea4avcastro.tea.state.tx.us/accountability/accreditation/2022_2023_accreditation_statuses.html
cowboycwr
UrsinusInfction said:

1outawayBear said:

Mike E said:

IF you actually look at their scores and the way the state scored ALL schools across the state, Marlin did not do that good. If a category was below 70 (failing) then it just was Not Rated and did not count towards the final score.

So you had schools or districts that might only have one or two categories that counted and therefore were a B rating even though they had 2 or 3 other categories that technically were Failing but for last year counted as NR.
1outawayBear
UrsinusInfction said:

1outawayBear said:

UrsinusInfction said:

1outawayBear said:

Mike E said:

As of 2022, they are accredited. It's a rare pandemic-era success story in Texas education.

https://tea4avcastro.tea.state.tx.us/accountability/accreditation/2022_2023_accreditation_statuses.html

Congrats to them in that case
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.