Hotel 1928

22,497 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Boernebear
Biscuits_and_Gravy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New Magnolia brand hotel downtown is now taking reservations, opening in October. Looks like rooms start at $375 and they look beautiful!
joseywales
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

New Magnolia brand hotel downtown is now taking reservations, opening in October. Looks like rooms start at $375 and they look beautiful!
Let's rip some people off.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
joseywales said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

You don't get out much do you.
CammoTX
$400 for a boutique hotel room is peanuts compared to what you see in New England in the summer and fall.

This is going to be such a great addition to the City of Waco.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
CammoTX said:

$400 for a boutique hotel room is peanuts compared to what you see in New England in the summer and fall.

This is going to be such a great addition to the City of Waco.

I'm paying that much for a nice hotel for the UCF gameā€¦. Not nearly as nice as Hotel 1928 though.
ABC BEAR
I'm planning to spend a couple of nights there this fall. The staff would be wise to count the towels just before I check out.
Eleven-League Grant
For those looking for something more 'reasonably' priced, there is always Bellmead's Delta Inn:

Frankly, though, I was surprised that even those rooms are pushing a Benjamin per night. Maybe I need to get out more, too.
southtexasbear
joseywales said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Comparable rates per night in Downtown Waco for October:

Indigo $465
Cambria $399
Holiday Inn $327
Towneplace Suites $314
Fairfield $279
Hampton Inn $269
La Quinta $255

Not a bad rate compared to marketā€¦
Boernebear
This is a much better value than I was expecting based on the cost of this project. I didn't think you would be able to stay here for less than $500/night during the week and much higher on the weekend or during major events.

And to compare to an amazing boutique hotel, Hotel Emma in San Antonio, their cheapest rates are about double this level during the week and close to triple on most weekends. And in major cities, high quality hotels are often over $700/night currently - I paid about $800/night for the Waldorf in Atlanta last week and paying about $750/night for the Conrad in Nashville this week.

All that to say, this is far from ripping people off for the quality of the project and when you consider that it cost well over $1 million per room to develop. This place will be packed at those rates.
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
Wicked_Wombat
Got a room there for the UH game weekend.
hodedofome
No doubt they'll be raising their rates as soon as they get consistent occupancy.

Either that, or the public has tired of Magnolia. I don't see how they stay in the middle range of other hotels in Waco.
BaylorHistory
southtexasbear said:

joseywales said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Comparable rates per night in Downtown Waco for October:

Indigo $465
Cambria $399
Holiday Inn $327
Towneplace Suites $314
Fairfield $279
Hampton Inn $269
La Quinta $255

Not a bad rate compared to marketā€¦
Dang, is that for football Saturdays? Or are we always so high?
ā€œPeople who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Dustinf100
These will be introductory rates. See hotel Emma in San Antonioā€¦ used to be $400 per night but once proved it to be a superior hotel, now $8-900/night
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Dustinf100 said:

These will be introductory rates. See hotel Emma in San Antonioā€¦ used to be $400 per night but once proved it to be a superior hotel, now $8-900/night

Shoot, so I better book now!
T-REX
joseywales said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

u can't rip someone off if they choose to buy your product
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
jbbear
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

joseywales said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

You don't get out much do you.

He's an outlaw.
Boernebear
It's coming together nicely - looks great!

Coke Bear
hodedofome said:

No doubt they'll be raising their rates as soon as they get consistent occupancy.

Either that, or the public has tired of Magnolia. I don't see how they stay in the middle range of other hotels in Waco.
Sadly for Waco, their YOY is down from 4X to 1X this year from what I heard for a local business owner.

My son works part-time for the popcorn vendor at Magnolia. He stated that traffic and sales are down significantly. The heat this summer took it's toll on potential visitors.
BaylorHistory
T-REX said:

joseywales said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

u can't rip someone off if they choose to buy your product
I didn't know that you worked for Yeti.
BaylorHistory
Boernebear said:

Looks like the kind of place where the winter caretaker will lose his mind and attempt to kill his family in a river of blood while appearing in an old-time photo of the location after he's killed.

T-REX
BaylorHistory said:

Boernebear said:

Looks like the kind of place where the winter caretaker will lose his mind and attempt to kill his family in a river of blood while appearing in an old-time photo of the location after he's killed.

DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Yogi
Boernebear said:

Hard to believe that was the old child support court.

None of those mothers could afford this place...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
trey3216
Yogi said:

Boernebear said:

When was it that? It was Karem Shrine for decades upon decades and has sat vacant since the city bought it from the Shrine in the late 90's.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Yogi
trey3216 said:

Yogi said:

Boernebear said:

When was it that? It was Karem Shrine for decades upon decades and has sat vacant since the city bought it from the Shrine in the late 90's.
The bottom floor has served as home for McLennan County's IV-D court for the past ten years or so.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
4th and Inches
That is a cool hotel.. may stay there once just to check it out
ā€œMix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.ā€

ā€“Horace

ā€œInsomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep youā€™ll get if youā€™re able to ā€˜fall asleep right now.ā€™ ā€œ
Boernebear
In case anyone wants to see the Waco Trib article on the hotel opening. Good overview and some great pictures too.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/business/gaineses-luxury-hotel-1928-marries-downtown-wacos-past-and-present/article_6beac81a-7502-11ee-8c8b-df08c98bfa39.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Mike E
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/we-wanted-to-bring-back-that-1920s-feel-chip-and-joanna-gaines-unveil-hotel-1928?fbclid=IwAR0zqq_318ELlYo5o9M2hNwAkkpKU2S3rP7nG0y0vzxXBrowm6_K1v_YP1Y

Nice video shots and overview
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Opened ! We are heading for brunch today and am excited to see it in person.
Big12Bear
Wicked_Wombat said:

Got a room there for the UH game weekend.
Well, how was it?
Biscuits_and_Gravy
As expected every detail is perfect. Inside upstairs eating area is fairly small, though downstairs area is huge. Food was good, looks like they poached the staff of Baylor Club heavily. The gem is outside bar area.

Biscuits_and_Gravy
Boernebear
I had drinks on the rooftop on Friday evening - great spot but only open until 10pm, which is a bit lame especially when the weather is nice.
Wicked_Wombat
Stayed there SAT night...architecture and interior design is great. Staff and customer service are so so. I get it, its week 1 - things were off. However, I don't think they are offering the 'experience' you'd expect for a place where a basic room that runs you ~$570.00 per night. The staff and customer service is routine Waco, it's not equivalent to the pricing. Also a bit odd that the guests in the 33 rooms have to endure the heavy foot traffic of all the random (non-guest) Magnolia fanatics just randomly traipsing thru the hotel like spectators in a zoo.

Been there...done that...not doing again. Get a drink at Bertie's rooftop bar...pass on staying a night.
Harrison Bergeron
I hope it does well. O/U on rates in 2025 at $250 / night?

Is "Magnolia" still a thing? I'm definitely not in the target demo, but I have not heard of a soul making a trip to "the Silos" in years. Do people still pilgrimage to Waco to buy cheap Chinese **** marked up with Jo Jo's tag or are we back to her peddling Firestone?
hodedofome
It does seem the infatuation has worn off, however I think they still do a good bit of business.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.