Hotel 1928

22,695 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Boernebear
southtexasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Snuf said:

My wife and I are staying at the Hotel 1928 for 2 nights and found it interesting AJ Capital Partners owns and manages the property, not Magnolia or Chip/Joanna. Magnolia has their touch, design, culture and feel all over the Hotel but they do not manage it.

"In partnership with Magnolia, a Texas-based lifestyle brand led by Chip and Joanna Gaines, AJ has re-envisioned the historic Grand Karem Shrine Temple as an inspired hospitality experience for guests and residents of the Waco community. Hotel 1928 includes 33 guest rooms, two food and beverage concepts, over 6,600 square feet of event space, a rooftop terrace, and a retail shop."

https://www.ajcpt.com/portfolio/platforms/independent-ventures

Great read:

https://www.ajcpt.com/firm/news/inside-chip-and-joannas-first-boutique-hotel
Marlin3030
I know it will probably be crowded but is it possible to just stop by and get a drink tonight?
Snuf
Marlin3030 said:

I know it will probably be crowded but is it possible to just stop by and get a drink tonight?

Bar downstairs will be open but there is a private party on the 4th floor bar and Terrace. Few areas to hang out with your drinks.
Marlin3030
Thanks.
RightRevBear
The wife and I ate at Bertie's tonight. My sea bass was delicious. My wife had the salmon with rice and Brussels sprouts. The salmon was good and the Brussel sprouts were the best I have ever had. We had the beef tartar appetizers which was good.

We too were disappointed in the Dr. Pepper Fudge cake. We were expecting a large slice of rich chocolate cake like Pignetti's or Cheeves. Unfortunately, we got two regular size brownies with whip cream and chocolate and caramel drizzle.

The dining room is small, but the terrace area is large with great views. Overall, we had a good experience and the food was good too.

It has been years, since I have been to 135 Prime. It might be where we go for Valentine's Day. I would rank better than Bertie's, but I am glad to see another fine good fine dining option in Waco.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
RightRevBear said:

The wife and I ate at Bertie's tonight. My sea bass was delicious. My wife had the salmon with rice and Brussels sprouts. The salmon was good and the Brussel sprouts were the best I have ever had. We had the beef tartar appetizers which was good.

We too were disappointed in the Dr. Pepper Fudge cake. We were expecting a large slice of rich chocolate cake like Pignetti's or Cheeves. Unfortunately, we got two regular size brownies with whip cream and chocolate and caramel drizzle.

The dining room is small, but the terrace area is large with great views. Overall, we had a good experience and the food was good too.

It has been years, since I have been to 135 Prime. It might be where we go for Valentine's Day. I would rank better than Bertie's, but I am glad to see another fine good fine dining option in Waco.

My husband had the sea bass last time we went and said it was great but he hated that it was served in a bowl.

The desert options are not good and I hope they address that.

They've already taken my favorite item off the menu, burrata panzanella salad, but the beet salad they replaced it with was a good seasonal replacement.
Big12Bear
RightRevBear said:

A new one that's entered the mix is The BLVD Steakhouse in the Cambria off MLK. I haven't been yet, but they have the really high-end Akaushi.
Lund Vernquist
Visited Bertie's last week for the first time. The Brussels sprouts will bring me back. Everything else including the service was good enough. The dessert portions were way too stingy. We didn't try any cocktails but that will be high on the list next time.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Lund Vernquist said:

Visited Bertie's last week for the first time. The Brussels sprouts will bring me back. Everything else including the service was good enough. The dessert portions were way too stingy. We didn't try any cocktails but that will be high on the list next time.

When choosing where to go for his birthday dinner the martini at Bertie's is what swung the vote for my son in law. Likewise my husband is very particular about his Manhattan and he's been pleased. Those are both 'easy' drinks but somehow places manage to mess them up. The menu drinks all lean sweet.
Funky Town Bear
Wife and I had dinner at Berties while we were in town just before New Years. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The Bruleed Cheesecake was a really good dessert for those looking for another option.

My only complaint with the dinner is that the service we had didn't match the scene. The poor young lady that was handling our table just didn't understand the pacing of a higher end meal or how to present a bottle of wine. She could have benefited from some training on that front, but was otherwise great. We would definitely go back.

Side note. We also had dinner at Pignettis while we were there. That was a very disappointing experience compared to what we had there a year ago when it first opened.
Edmond Bear

My family was able walk in with no reservations to The Brasserie on the Wednesday of the first WBB game at Foster. Tried to get in to Bertie's but it was booked through 9p.

We eat at alot of great restaurants in OKC. There are four Michelin chefs in our market and the current James Beard national winner.

My wife and daughter split the Shrimp and Risotto and said it was really good. Not the best ever but good. There was plenty of food for both of them.

I had Korean wings which is an appetizer. There were plenty for a meal. For wings, it was good and I liked that it was a non-standard offering.

My Old Fashioned was sweet but I like that. So, it was perfect for me.

Our service was really good. It happened to be the waiter's first day and he already knew the ropes.

The environment is great. It is beautiful with huge windows and from that perspective felt kind of like a downtown San Francisco restaurant. The Brasserie is a large, slightly upscale, restaurant and I hope that Waco is able to keep it full.

BaylorHistory
I didn't care much for the Brasserie. It might be my fault though as I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak and I only get one or two a year anyway. Good service and good atmosphere, but the food was so so. It's good to have as an option though.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Been to Bertie's 5 times since opening but haven't been to Brassiere yet. Need to check it out, love the bar area when we've peeked in.
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

I didn't care much for the Brasserie. It might be my fault though as I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak and I only get one or two a year anyway. Good service and good atmosphere, but the food was so so. It's good to have as an option though.

There were some Yelp reviews that said they also did not like the Chicken Fried Steak. Sounds like something they need to fix.
BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

There were some Yelp reviews that said they also did not like the Chicken Fried Steak. Sounds like something they need to fix.

I did enjoy the Korean wings and my wife got the burger + fries which were solid. The fries were really well made.

I did like that they had local craft beer on the menu and my porter from Brotherwell was really good. My wife got the Ellsworth cocktail which was sweet but really enjoyable. I could see really enjoying that on the roof in the summer when it's hot out.
tcbear
I had the chicken fried steak last week and thought it was great.
trey3216
I honestly have no idea why folks would go there and order a CFS.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
baylrballa
trey3216 said:

Waco
RightRevBear
trey3216 said:

I know. I like a good CFS. I get one at George's whenever I feel like taking some months off my life. Let's be honest though the best CFS places are very similar to good barbecue joints. The closer the building is to being condemned the better the food.

You go to fine dining establishments for high quality and cut of steak, high-end seafood, etc.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

The menu is not all that inspiring with a unique fish or other dish that we can't make better at home with just a tiny bit of skill and a subscription to NYT Cooking.

I was hoping for a CFS with a twist like they do with their burger, but it was a standard CFS with some garlic mashed potatoes underneath it.
BaylorHistory
RightRevBear said:

trey3216 said:

You go to fine dining establishments for high quality and cut of steak, high-end seafood, etc.
No place that has salmon as their fanciest seafood option gets to call itself fine dining, even in Waco.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Let's be honest though the best CFS places are very similar to good barbecue joints. The closer the building is to being condemned the better the food.
That's really the case, and seems always to have been.

Some of the best CFS's I've ever eaten have been at no-name roadside cafes throughout Texas where you'd make a point NOT to go to the men's room for fear of having to gouge out your own eyes.
Funky Town Bear
BaylorHistory said:

RightRevBear said:

trey3216 said:

No place that has salmon as their fanciest seafood option gets to call itself fine dining, even in Waco.
The sea bass was delicious. I would put that plate up against similar places in DFW and it costs about a third less than up here. While it's not competing for a Michelin star, the menu is definitely elevated above what has been the common Waco menu. Take a deep breath and relax.
BaylorHistory
Funky Town Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

RightRevBear said:

trey3216 said:

The sea bass was delicious. I would put that plate up against similar places in DFW and it costs about a third less than up here. While it's not competing for a Michelin star, the menu is definitely elevated above what has been the common Waco menu. Take a deep breath and relax.
Definitely was not on the Brasserie menu or I would have ordered it. I need a Bertie's trip soon, though I know they use the same kitchen so surely they'd let you order it at the Brasserie too no?
RightRevBear
I don't know if the food is cooked at Bertie's or if the dishes are just plated there. They do have grills and other cooking appliances there though. I would not be shocked if it was cooked at a central kitchen and just plated at Bertie's.
RightRevBear
BaylorHistory said:

Funky Town Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

RightRevBear said:

trey3216 said:

Definitely was not on the Brasserie menu or I would have ordered it. I need a Bertie's trip soon, though I know they use the same kitchen so surely they'd let you order it at the Brasserie too no?

I did like the steak (I think it was a Hanger Steak) at the Brasserie, but I will take back my comments about ordering CFS there. While it is a nicer restaurant, it isn't fine dining. I don't think they have or will have the necessary amount of grease stains on the walls of the kitchen to cook a great CFS though.
BaylorHistory
RightRevBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Funky Town Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

RightRevBear said:

trey3216 said:

I did like the steak (I think it was a Hanger Steak) at the Brasserie, but I will take back my comments about ordering CFS there. While it is a nicer restaurant, it isn't fine dining. I don't think they have or will have the necessary amount of grease stains on the walls of the kitchen to cook a great CFS though.
Looking at the crowds there it seems like the perfect level for Wacoans. I was really impressed with the weeknight crowd that was there the night we went.
Franko
Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

A new one that's entered the mix is The BLVD Steakhouse in the Cambria off MLK. I haven't been yet, but they have the really high-end Akaushi.
I ate at the BLVD before the Cornell game. I really liked it. They really season their steaks heavily which I like but my wife thought was too salty. But she says that about steaks I make at home too.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
RightRevBear
Franko said:

Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

I ate at the BLVD before the Cornell game. I really liked it. They really season their steaks heavily which I like but my wife thought was too salty. But she says that about steaks I make at home too.

Thank you for the review. I too like a heavy hand on the seasoning.
4th and Inches
Franko said:

Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

thats all i need to know, adding this place to my list!
sipembeers
4th and Inches said:

Franko said:

Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

Went and got a tour of the hotel this evening. Great looking hotel and will be incredible by the summer.

Two pools and out door bar between the other hotel. Next door to sic 'em studio

They also will have a 6 course valentines meal for $125 a plate.

Biscuits_and_Gravy
sipembeers said:

4th and Inches said:

Franko said:

Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

Went and got a tour of the hotel this evening. Great looking hotel and will be incredible by the summer.

going to be awesome in 5 -10 years when the Brazos North sewage plant goes in and City has one of their legendary accidents. You can watch Babe Ruth's float down the river.
trey3216
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

sipembeers said:

4th and Inches said:

Franko said:

Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

going to be awesome in 5 -10 years when the Brazos North sewage plant goes in and City has one of their legendary accidents. You can watch Babe Ruth's float down the river.
Always happy to hear from the peanut gallery
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
trey3216 said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

sipembeers said:

4th and Inches said:

Franko said:

Big12Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

Always happy to hear from the peanut gallery

I started the thread.
hodedofome
My friend and I split the braised pork for two at the Brasserie, and I enjoyed it as much or more than the sea bass at Bertie's. I also spent less money than Bertie's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.