Fuddruckers closing

11,574 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PartyBear
Mike E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Final day 3:00pm 12/24/23

baylrballa
Dang
STxBear81
Bummer.
BaylorHistory
I haven't been in 15 to 20 years and I'm still sad.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

I haven't been in 15 to 20 years and I'm still sad.

Maybe they are not closing. Maybe they are just changing their name.

Grumpy
I didn't realize they were still open. Maybe that was the problem.
BaylorHistory
Old Waco giveth and Old Waco taketh.

According to Mr. Gatti's site, they will be opening at the old Pizza Patron location next to Target in 19 hours and 39 minutes. When was the last time we had a Gatti's? 2000? before?

It isn't the world's best anything, but I'll certainly pick it up over Little Ceasars if buying a bunch of pizza for a large group.

Mr Gatti's Pizza Waco - Mr Gatti's Pizza (mrgattispizza.com)
PartyBear
I thought the chain went out of business a few years ago and the one in Waco was independent but still using the name and branding etc? So I'm not sure that it has been a real Fuddruckers for 3-4 years now.

Maybe that was not the case though
CorsicanaBear
The Waco store was one of several franchise locations owned by a group out of Lubbock??? I think that remained open after the franchisor corporation went bankrupt because they had the right to use the names and marks under their franchise agreement.

It has been 3-4 years since I went in there because it was just plain filthy. The store needed substantial investment to bring it up to marginal, something the owners plainly did not want to do.
Illigitimus non carborundum
hodedofome
Sad because I really liked their burgers. I'd put the queso and pico de gallo on it and make a Mexican-burger. It was fantastic.
hodedofome
https://www.kwtx.com/2023/12/12/one-last-remaining-fuddruckers-is-closing-waco/
PartyBear
Hmmm according to Fuddrucker's website there a a lot of locations across the country . Perhaps the website is old and just was never taken down though.
chorne68
Fuddruckers closed in Austin two years ago.
BUbearinARK
I pass by this one when I'm visiting Dad

beardoc
Lubbock's Fuddruckers is moving from their longtime location to SW Lubbock. They apparently owned some franchise rights that continued after the main company closed.
SteamedHams
I don't think the Waco Fuddruckers has been worthwhile since probably 2012 or so. Its been in a consistent state of decline for a long, long time.

That said, what's the best hamburger in Waco these days? Whizzbangs? Revival?
BaylorHistory
SteamedHams said:

That said, what's the best hamburger in Waco these days? Whizzbangs? Revival?
I should start a thread on that then abandon it.

The answer is either Cupp's or Dubl-R depending on personal taste. I personally like Cupp's
BU99
The smashburger at Guess is my favoritez
PartyBear
I think some of y'all are mired in the old days. I think Billy Bob's and Twisted Root are great burger places and there are more to add as well. Speaking of old days, there is a new Health Camp in Woodway in the Union Grove.

Btw I liked Fuddruckers in its hey days from when it opened in 84 to about the mid 00s. But I never thought it was the best burger place.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

I think some of y'all are mired in the old days. I think Billy Bob's and Twisted Root are great burger places and there are more to add as well.
They're good but not my preferred style of burger.
Coke Bear
When a family of five can't walk out for less than $75, I'd rather have someone serve us Tex-Mex and fill up with chips and salsa.
BaylorGuy314
Coke Bear said:

When a family of five can't walk out for less than $75, I'd rather have someone serve us Tex-Mex and fill up with chips and salsa.
Same.

A decade ago, they had a $5 junior burger and fries (no drink) combo that was worthwhile. I'd usually spring for the larger one but wife would get the smaller. My kids would as well if it had existed today.

Last time I went, I spent over $50 for burgers/fries/drink for 4. It was always a decent burger but it just got too pricey, IMO. There are plenty of other delicious burger options in town for less money.
Edmond Bear
PartyBear said:

I think some of y'all are mired in the old days. I think Billy Bob's and Twisted Root are great burger places and there are more to add as well. Speaking of old days, there is a new Health Camp in Woodway in the Union Grove.

Btw I liked Fuddruckers in its hey days from when it opened in 84 to about the mid 00s. But I never thought it was the best burger place.

Another recent entrant to the market, Jake's (near Vitek's) was my favorite in the McKinney/Allen area.
baylrballa
was looking forward to hopdoddy's until that fell through.
Edmond Bear
baylrballa said:

was looking forward to hopdoddy's until that fell through.

Had one in OKC….meh.

PartyBear
Edmond Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Another recent entrant to the market, Jake's (near Vitek's) was my favorite in the McKinney/Allen area.

I thought that was a second location of Jake's on Austin Avenue. They use the same font for the "Jake's".
Edmond Bear
PartyBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

PartyBear said:

I thought that was a second location of Jake's on Austin Avenue. They use the same font for the "Jake's".

No, this is a regional chain based in Addison.

https://jakesburgersandbeer.com
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

PartyBear said:

No. This actually a burger chain out of the Dallas area and Waco is their first outside D/FW.

FYI, Jake's is also considering a Hewitt location in 2024.

Funny story. I actually went to the original Jake's while visiting a friend who was living in Dallas in the mid 1990's. I was a senior at Baylor at that time and my friend had just graduated. We went over to Jake's to watch a Cowboys games that day. I loved the place but never thought we would see a Waco location.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
SoonerFrogs
how does Jakes compare to Five Guys price wise? and is it better than Snuffers?
Edmond Bear
SoonerFrogs said:

how does Jakes compare to Five Guys price wise? and is it better than Snuffers?

JMO, it is a clone of Snuffers.

Hubbs
Jake's is an offshoot of Keller's Drive-In in Dallas and IIRC was started by a son-in-law. Burgers are very similar. The first location was opened in Lake Highlands and they've expanded with some success. Kind of hit and miss, depending on location.
VaeBear
BUbearinARK said:

I pass by this one when I'm visiting Dad

I can never tell if that one is still open or not.
Marlin3030
Hate it's closing. As a kid, in the early 90's we would eat lunch there on Saturday and go to a movie with my parents at the old movie theater behind Richland mall. I think that theater is now Allen Samuel's?

Good memories.
william
ate at the first one in SA back in the day....

went to the huaco one when it opened.

knew some of the people who started Fudds.

sad - but that's how the rest. industry goes.

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }
POE.
Chipoople
Spent a lot of time there as a kid after baseball games and with friends in middle and high school.

Honestly the fries and cookies were the best part haha.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.