Fuddruckers closing

11,881 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PartyBear
hodedofome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My kid was learning to read and I took him there. He started focusing on the logo cup during lunch. And then he asked "dad, what's F%%kers???"

I'll never forget that one.
whitetrash
Drove past there at lunchtime and the parking lot was practically full.
Jackson Bear
whitetrash said:

Since we moved out to the Midway area 3 years ago I have not been there, but doing Christmas shopping I have driven by there twice this week and it was packed every time.

Makes we really sad. It is one of the last restaurants in Waco that was open when I was in high school in the late 80s.
whitetrash
Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Since we moved out to the Midway area 3 years ago I have not been there, but doing Christmas shopping I have driven by there twice this week and it was packed every time.

Makes we really sad. It is one of the last restaurants in Waco that was open when I was in high school in the late 80s.

Fuddruckers and Genie car wash were two of only a few remaining original businesses on Valley Mills between Franklin and Cobbs (original occupant in the same location in the original building that was built on the site). After Fudds is gone, the only ones left will be:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

(Arby's and LJS both went through extensive remodels but are still the original building; McDonalds/BK were the first buildings in their locations but have been torn down and rebuilt).
BaylorHistory
whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Fuddruckers and Genie car wash were two of only a few remaining original businesses on Valley Mills between Franklin and Cobbs (original occupant in the same location in the original building that was built on the site). After Fudds is gone, the only ones left will be:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

(Arby's and LJS both went through extensive remodels but are still the original building; McDonalds/BK were the first buildings in their locations but have been torn down and rebuilt).
And is Westview ever tries to go under then you'll find me cuffed to a tree, naked, in protest.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
whitetrash
whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

(Arby's and LJS both went through extensive remodels but are still the original building; McDonalds/BK/KFC were the first buildings in their locations but have been torn down and rebuilt).
Edit:

As I drove up VM a few minutes ago, I realized I forgot to include Jack's Stereo, that has been in the same place since the early/mid 70s but no longer sells 8-tracks and record albums.
SteamedHams
If you people aren't hitting up Baris for their lunch specials, you're missing out. Best bang for your buck, lunch wise, in town by a mile.

Also, worst parking lot in the Western hemisphere. But great lunch specials.
sipembeers
whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

(Arby's and LJS both went through extensive remodels but are still the original building; McDonalds/BK/KFC were the first buildings in their locations but have been torn down and rebuilt).
Edit:

As I drove up VM a few minutes ago, I realized I forgot to include Jack's Stereo, that has been in the same place since the early/mid 70s but no longer sells 8-tracks and record albums.
poppa rollos
whitetrash
sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Nope. That was originally something else built in the mid-60s, but I can't remember what. Poppa Rollos started in 1969 in Golden Triangle (torn down to build United Bank Tower in early 1980s) and moved then.
MrGolfguy
When was Westview Village built? The cool, retro 'WV' sign at the outdoor mall section in the middle is largely overlooked but is easily one of the most iconic landmarks in Waco.
SteamedHams
MrGolfguy said:

When was Westview Village built? The cool, retro 'WV' sign at the outdoor mall section in the middle is largely overlooked but is easily one of the most iconic landmarks in Waco.
PartyBear
Not sure it is retro when it is the genuine article from the era.
FrankFallonCalling
whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Nope. That was originally something else built in the mid-60s, but I can't remember what. Poppa Rollos started in 1969 in Golden Triangle (torn down to build United Bank Tower in early 1980s) and moved then.

Schmaltz's?
whitetrash
FrankFallonCalling said:

whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Schmaltz's?
Town West Center was built in the late 60s, and I don't remember Schmaltz's being there until the late 70s or early 80s. In fact, I vaguely recall it started in a different location on VM.

The one business that may have been in Town West since it was built is the laundromat at the far end.
73s de N4WJP
whitetrash said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Schmaltz's?
Town West Center was built in the late 60s, and I don't remember Schmaltz's being there until the late 70s or early 80s. In fact, I vaguely recall it started in a different location on VM.

The one business that may have been in Town West since it was built is the laundromat at the far end.
The Schmaltz's Town West store opened in 1976 four doors to the right of its current location. I was the manager/baker at that time.
SteamedHams
73s de N4WJP said:

whitetrash said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Schmaltz's?

The Schmaltz's Town West store opened in 1976 four doors to the right of its current location. I was the manager/baker at that time.

Boom. Look at that. Talk about being Waco born and bread…
Bexar Pitts
73s de N4WJP said:

whitetrash said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Schmaltz's?

Congrats on an outstanding job! My family has been a regular customer ever since those early days I'm sure your work played a large part in their success.. Always great food and service! Thank you!
73s de N4WJP
Bexar Pitts said:

73s de N4WJP said:

whitetrash said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Schmaltz's?

Congrats on an outstanding job! My family has been a regular customer ever since those early days I'm sure your work played a large part in their success.. Always great food and service! Thank you!
Thank you for the kind words. I worked there off and on a total 17 years, mostly as baker and sandwich maker during the lunch rush, and in the days of buy one, get one free coupon that appeared every Sunday in the Startime, things could get a tad out of hand. The REAL star of the show is Nelson, the owner from 1979 to today. He deserves all the credit (or blame for the inevitable few that a part of any long time food establishment.)
Bexar Pitts
73s de N4WJP said:

Bexar Pitts said:

73s de N4WJP said:

whitetrash said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

whitetrash said:

sipembeers said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Jackson Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Westview Nursery
Arby's
Long John Silver's

Edit:

poppa rollos

Schmaltz's?

Thank you for the kind words. I worked there off and on a total 17 years, mostly as baker and sandwich maker during the lunch rush, and in the days of buy one, get one free coupon that appeared every Sunday in the Startime, things could get a tad out of hand. The REAL star of the show is Nelson, the owner from 1979 to today. He deserves all the credit (or blame for the inevitable few that a part of any long time food establishment.)
Roger that! Nelson is not only a superstar owner/operator, but a fine human being as well..Deserves all the praise that I've heard him receive.
SteamedHams
Something I appreciate about Schmaltz's is the consistency.

I have never, in the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of Blue Plate Specials I've ordered in my life, ever had one that was anything less than fantastic.
73s de N4WJP
I feel the same way. Granted, I cooked mine personally back during my employee days, so I'm not exactly objective. One tip, ask to have your Blue Plate cooked "crispy". They'll run it through the oven twice, which I think makes the bread have the texture ala 1990. Add a splash of Tabasco and ding, ding, ding......you're a winner!
SteamedHams
73s de N4WJP said:

I feel the same way. Granted, I cooked mine personally back during my employee days, so I'm not exactly objective. One tip, ask to have your Blue Plate cooked "crispy". They'll run it through the oven twice, which I think makes the bread have the texture ala 1990. Add a splash of Tabasco and ding, ding, ding......you're a winner!

Crispy! Who knew?! Love this advice. Basically just made my annual SE365 subscription worth it. Will be trying this ASAP.

Now I'm very hungry.
Bexar Pitts
73s de N4WJP said:

Also gotta say "Thank You" to the person that created the idea of the Potato Soup on Thursdays! None better!
FrankFallonCalling
Turkey and cheddar with jalapeños may be my favorite sandwich of all time, anywhere.
Fat Daddy
Closed the Ferrell on Friday, closed Fuddruckers today. Place was packed and they were just about out of everything!

The way things are going I might just close 2023 in the next 7-10 days!
4th and Inches
Its crazy how busy they got when it was announced they were closing.

Nothing left but the memories now.
william
scattershooting while wondering how many times Dale 'darkened their doorway' during his reign...........

- KKM

Go Bears!

pro ecclesia, pro javelina
SoonerFrogs
Fuddruckers might open again, different location. I didn't get into the details but my guess is the rent went up and they said nope.
Fat Daddy
SoonerFrogs said:

Fuddruckers might open again, different location. I didn't get into the details but my guess is the rent went up and they said nope.

That's the same thing I heard about Five Guys…and now they have been gone for several years…
SteamedHams
Fat Daddy said:

SoonerFrogs said:

That's the same thing I heard about Five Guys…and now they have been gone for several years…

No loss there…I ain't paying 18.50 for a fast casual burger and fries.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Speaking of long lost chains, we made a voyage to Borger for one of the last two Bennigans in Texas. The other is in Monahans. Steak and Ale options also in Borger.

We also went to the last Black Eyed Pea this summer. Both tasted the same.

And hit the Luby's in Plano for fun.

Fat Daddy
SteamedHams said:

Fat Daddy said:

SoonerFrogs said:

No loss there…I ain't paying 18.50 for a fast casual burger and fries.

Chris, if you didn't get enough peanuts to make it a good value, that's on you!
Mike E
Fat Daddy said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Yep also heard the same thing about Five Guys back when they closed. Been waiting and waiting =( Big loss but I get it when I go out of town every now and then.still at least.
Funky Town Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

Speaking of long lost chains, we made a voyage to Borger for one of the last two Bennigans in Texas. The other is in Monahans. Steak and Ale options also in Borger.

We also went to the last Black Eyed Pea this summer. Both tasted the same.

And hit the Luby's in Plano for fun.

The bigger question is what did Borger do wrong to end up with both of those?
STxBear81
did they have a Chelsea Street Pub?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.