Fuddruckers closing

11,879 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by PartyBear
BUbearinARK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
STxBear81 said:

did they have a Chelsea Street Pub?
or Orange Julius?
Tiny Elvis
STxBear81 said:

Or a JT Mccord's?
Edmond Bear
Tiny Elvis said:

STxBear81 said:

Or a JT Mccord's?

Ugh, bad JT McCords memories of getting avocado spread on a burger that turned out to have been left out too long. THAT was alot of vomit.

Even today, when we play Bayloropoly, I will never buy the JT McCords property.

william
PartyBear
i just have to say I am shocked that there ever was a Bennigans and Steak and Ale in towns as small and as remotely located as Borger and Monahans. Those are like a Sonic and Dairy Queen towns.
Harrison Bergeron
PartyBear said:

i just have to say I am shocked that there ever was a Bennigans and Steak and Ale in towns as small and as remotely located as Borger and Monahans. Those are like a Sonic and Dairy Queen towns.

Literally unbelievable.
Fat Daddy
Borger, Texas-

Bennigans
Steak & Ale
And
Spudnuts
Bexar Pitts
Ahhh..Spudnuts...Waco had a Spudnuts on 25th across the street from O&H Rare Foods...Loved to wait for delivery/sales guy on bicycle peddling through neighbohood and ringing his handlebar bell,,,Spudnuts were part of basic food group for South Waco kiddos!
HunterBear
SoonerFrogs said:

how does Jakes compare to Five Guys price wise? and is it better than Snuffers?

Snuffers is better.
william
air pumped.... honey sucked.... dried, fried.....

- KKM
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Eleven-League Grant
I went and tried Jake's today on I-35. I enjoyed it.

Since there's been a discussion here of both Snuffers and Kellers, and since I'm familiar with both, here are my observations:

1. Bun: Snuffer's -- poppy seeded and small pored (more moist)
Jake's -- poppy seeded (or plain) and large pored (less moist)

2. Onion: Snuffer's -- chopped red onion
Jake's -- whole slice of white onion (ala Keller's)

3. Lettuce: Snuffer's -- chopped / shredded iceburg
Jake's -- whole leaf lettuce

4. Meat: Snuffer's -- 1/2 pound fresh-ground blend of chuck and ??? heavily salted and cooked medium-rare
Jake's -- 1/4 pound 'beef' (double-stack available)

I did find the fried button mushrooms to be similar to those Snuffer's serves, though.

One caveat -- my main impressions of Snuffer's are from their heyday back in the '80's on lower Greenville in Dallas. Pat Snuffer I'm told had worked for the original Chili's and borrowed heavily from their original burger recipe but added a few changes of his own.

I always thought the '80's versions of Snuffer's burger had a certain seasoning that I could never quite put my finger on. Those burgers were my favorite all-time hamburgers. It seemed, though, in the '90's and later something had changed and the burgers were neither as juicy nor as flavorful as they had been. But you could say the same thing about the Chili's original burger pre-Brinker and todays Chili's burger.

Bottom line -- I'd go back to Jake's.

BTW, I recently had the $13.00 wood-fired burger at Guess and it was surprising good. It's 1/2 pound with good wood-smoke flavor and they'll cook it to order.

One other thing -- I think several places in Waco have, at one time or another, tried to duplicate the Snuffer's burger. I think Cricket's tried to do that, but it wasn't an exact clone. The long-defunct Tenth Inning (next to the Cathay House) got pretty close, though.
Edmond Bear
Eleven-League Grant said:

I went and tried Jake's today on I-35. I enjoyed it.

Since there's been a discussion here of both Snuffers and Kellers, and since I'm familiar with both, here are my observations:

1. Bun: Snuffer's -- poppy seeded and small pored (more moist)
Jake's -- poppy seeded (or plain) and large pored (less moist)

2. Onion: Snuffer's -- chopped red onion
Jake's -- whole slice of white onion (ala Keller's)

3. Lettuce: Snuffer's -- chopped / shredded iceburg
Jake's -- whole leaf lettuce

4. Meat: Snuffer's -- 1/2 pound fresh-ground blend of chuck and ??? heavily salted and cooked medium-rare
Jake's -- 1/4 pound 'beef' (double-stack available)

I did find the fried button mushrooms to be similar to those Snuffer's serves, though.

One caveat -- my main impressions of Snuffer's are from their heyday back in the '80's on lower Greenville in Dallas. Pat Snuffer I'm told had worked for the original Chili's and borrowed heavily from their original burger recipe but added a few changes of his own.

I always thought the '80's versions of Snuffer's burger had a certain seasoning that I could never quite put my finger on. Those burgers were my favorite all-time hamburgers. It seemed, though, in the '90's and later something had changed and the burgers were neither as juicy nor as flavorful as they had been. But you could say the same thing about the Chili's original burger pre-Brinker and todays Chili's burger.

Bottom line -- I'd go back to Jake's.

BTW, I recently had the $13.00 wood-fired burger at Guess and it was surprising good. It's 1/2 pound with good wood-smoke flavor and they'll cook it to order.

One other thing -- I think several places in Waco have, at one time or another, tried to duplicate the Snuffer's burger. I think Cricket's tried to do that, but it wasn't an exact clone. The long-defunct Tenth Inning (next to the Cathay House) got pretty close, though.

That is a fantastic and knowledgeable review. Thanks!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
It seems every Snuffer's I go into the silverware is dirty. FM, Plano, etc...
BUbearinARK
Stafford Tx location open. Parking lot virtually empty and restaurant empty @ 11:30. They said for lease sign put front was for the strip center behind them and don't believe the rumors. They staying open.

Wasn't bad having a private restaurant.

william
william said:

- KKM
... served with raw scallion and homemade pancake*.

- KKMasan

* pls order 24 hrs in advance.

pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Brian Ethridge
Staff
PartyBear said:

13k people and isolation, but other towns nearby on an interstate will get you business.
SteamedHams
73s de N4WJP said:

I feel the same way. Granted, I cooked mine personally back during my employee days, so I'm not exactly objective. One tip, ask to have your Blue Plate cooked "crispy". They'll run it through the oven twice, which I think makes the bread have the texture ala 1990. Add a splash of Tabasco and ding, ding, ding......you're a winner!

I need to revisit this post for a second.

I say this as a long, long time patron of Schmaltz's. But my wife and I each just got a blue plate special with jalapeño cheese bread and ordered it crispy with some Tabasco, as you suggested, and it very well could've been the best sandwich I've ever had in my life.
73s de N4WJP
SteamedHams said:

73s de N4WJP said:

I feel the same way. Granted, I cooked mine personally back during my employee days, so I'm not exactly objective. One tip, ask to have your Blue Plate cooked "crispy". They'll run it through the oven twice, which I think makes the bread have the texture ala 1990. Add a splash of Tabasco and ding, ding, ding......you're a winner!

I say this as a long, long time patron of Schmaltz's. But my wife and I each just got a blue plate special with jalapeño cheese bread and ordered it crispy with some Tabasco, as you suggested, and it very well could've been the best sandwich I've ever had in my life.

Your next assignment is to get the Turkey (or Roast Beef) with cheese, but with the honey mustard instead of mayo. Variety is the spice of life, so get two, one with cheddar and the other swiss.
SteamedHams
73s de N4WJP said:

SteamedHams said:

73s de N4WJP said:

Your next assignment is to get the Turkey (or Roast Beef) with cheese, but with the honey mustard instead of mayo. Variety is the spice of life, so get two, one with cheddar and the other swiss.

I like that I have my own personal sandwich sommelier/spirit guide. I shall follow you into cold-cut battle.

"Once more into the brunch, dear friends"
whitetrash
Waco's latest chain restaurant casualty: saw a couple of posts that Fuzzy's Taco Shop supposedly shut down both locations yesterday, joining such other recent chains that are reasonably successful elsewhere (but not here) such as:

Five Guys
Pei Wei
Smashburger
Which Wich

(Zoe's Kitchen not included because it was shut down nationwide when folded into Cava)
Fat Daddy
Do you know if Torchy's will honor my big refillable cups?
FirmBear24
whitetrash said:

Waco's latest chain restaurant casualty: saw a couple of posts that Fuzzy's Taco Shop supposedly shut down both locations yesterday, joining such other recent chains that are reasonably successful elsewhere (but not here) such as:

Five Guys
Pei Wei
Smashburger
Which Wich

(Zoe's Kitchen not included because it was shut down nationwide when folded into Cava)

Think Pei Wei reopened in the mall.
Edmond Bear
whitetrash said:

Five Guys
Pei Wei
Smashburger
Which Wich

I think two of those were Covid related. And, Which Wich has lost about 2/3 of its locations.

BUbearinARK
Edmond Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Five Guys
Pei Wei
Smashburger
Which Wich

I think two of those were Covid related. And, Which Wich has lost about 2/3 of its locations.

wich ones?
Coke Bear
Shame to lose Fuzzy's. We stopped there prior the game on Sat. Decent food, decent price, & cold beer.
Bear Doc
FirmBear24 said:

whitetrash said:

Five Guys
Pei Wei
Smashburger
Which Wich

Think Pei Wei reopened in the mall.

Not sure that is real Pei Wei (though they do share the name).... food is more like panda express on a buffet type line to me than Pei Wei where they cooked it wok-fresh.
PartyBear
Torchy's is way better than Fuzzy's. That said I'm surprised the closed especially the one right by the new hoops facility.
william
BUbearinARK said:

STxBear81 said:

or Orange Julius?
Orange Whip.
william
william said:

william said:

- KKM
... served with raw scallion and homemade pancake*.

- KKMasan

* pls order 24 hrs in advance.

peking house..... peking duck, specifcally.

you cretins.

right across from Fudds.

waaaaaaaaaaaaay BITD.

- KKM

BID.

was a heitmillers last time I was in the 'co.

wh/ has been a damn long time.

BIRD.
Coke Bear
PartyBear said:

Torchy's is way better than Fuzzy's. That said I'm surprised the closed especially the one right by the new hoops facility.
Torchy's is very good; however, the service is very suspect at the one by Baylor.
william
Tiny Elvis said:

STxBear81 said:

Or a JT Mccord's?
Funky Town Bear
Coke Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Torchy's is very good; however, the service is very suspect at the one by Baylor.
I'd also rather go to the other side of town and not pay $7 a taco.
PartyBear
Well damn though one taco from Torchy's will fill you up.
Mike E

Fat Daddy
Thst appears to be the one on Hewitt Drive. Are they also delinquent on rent at the downtown location?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.