Hamburger

20,661 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorGuy314
Wineguy89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ate a late night What-A-Burger tonight. That haven't f'ed it up yet!!!
Gunny Hartman
redfish961 said:

Dubl R is my favorite.

Dave's is a close second.

Just don't see anything special with Kitok's other than nostalgia and never have.

Tom's has always been good and so is Whizbang's.

Never been to Cupp's...I know sacrilegious.

Who wants to meet me for a burger there?

I don't think I ever went to Cupps either though living just blocks from there. Seems kind of wrong now.
Gunny Hartman
zunooreo said:

The episode I did on Cupp's. Enjoy....

Great video. Now I'm dying to go there. Are you the host dude?
Gunny Hartman
This thread gives me an opportunity to see if anyone knows the answer to something I've long wondered.

On my last birthday before graduating from Baylor, some of my buddies took me out to a joint that I've never been able to remember its name or what town it was located in. If I'm recalling correctly, from the Circle we headed south (?) around a half hour or so and ended up in a tiny community with a general store that also made burgers. We sat there eating some amazing burgers and drinking longnecks and played 42 all afternoon.

Anyone have any idea what town and what joint we were at?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Gunny Hartman said:

This thread gives me an opportunity to see if anyone knows the answer to something I've long wondered.

On my last birthday before graduating from Baylor, some of my buddies took me out to a joint that I've never been able to remember its name or what town it was located in. If I'm recalling correctly, from the Circle we headed south (?) around a half hour or so and ended up in a tiny community with a general store that also made burgers. We sat there eating some amazing burgers and drinking longnecks and played 42 all afternoon.

Westphalia
Gunny Hartman
Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

I had a feeling it would be you that knew the answer. Looking at the pics on Google maps, I think you're right. How confident are you that this was it, have you been there before?
Volunteer
Gunny Hartman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

I had a feeling it would be you that knew the answer. Looking at the pics on Google maps, I think you're right. How confident are you that this was it, have you been there before?
Had to be Westphalia. Run down general store that served burgers and beer. Was basically two rooms. Through the front door was the general store - although I doubt they sold anything as some of the merchandise looked to be from the 1930's. The room to the left had tables and a shuffleboard table. Been there 5 or 6 times. Usually on the way to or from Cyclone.
Stranger
Volunteer said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

Had to be Westphalia. Run down general store that served burgers and beer. Was basically two rooms. Through the front door was the general store - although I doubt they sold anything as some of the merchandise looked to be from the 1930's. The room to the left had tables and a shuffleboard table. Been there 5 or 6 times. Usually on the way to or from Cyclone.

The man that owned the Westphalia Store was a Baylor guy. Couldn't tell you his name but made his acquaintance in a Baylor Perferred Advertisers Club put together by Darryl Lehnus when he headed up athletic marketing.

We had a couple of gatherings a year and were thanked for donating money to athletics. Westphalia Store had ads in the football game program and was featured in scoreboard ads. This was during the Teaff-Reedy- Roberts- Steele era which closely resembled the Bataan Death March. We all threw a lot of good money after bad in those years.

Not sure when Westphalia Store closed. Good place but a really out of the way location.

Gunny Hartman
Volunteer said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

You're right, that's definitely it, and now the name sounds familiar. Great joint to play some 42 eat burgers, and drink cold beer

Looks like it's still around, assuming this is the same place

Westphalia Market
734 TX-320, Lott, TX 76656
(254) 584-4060
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SE9mbnLZpTDwDbhe6
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Gunny Hartman said:

Volunteer said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

You're right, that's definitely it, and now the name sounds familiar. Great joint to play some 42 eat burgers, and drink cold beer

Westphalia Market
(254) 584-4060

Westphalia was the Old Store. Never called it Lott.

Stranger, I believe it was someone that left George's that bought it back around '94.
Gunny Hartman
So it's closed down now?
SSadler
Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Volunteer said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

Westphalia Market
(254) 584-4060

Stranger, I believe it was someone that left George's that bought it back around '94.
nm (too many old, bad memories)
Edmond Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Volunteer said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Westphalia

Westphalia Market
(254) 584-4060

I think it is less cool burger place and more event center now.
Volunteer
Several years ago my wife and I, plus 2 or 3 other couples stopped at the Old Store on our way back from Cyclone. Across the street from the Old Store is a Catholic Church and they were having a wedding reception that Saturday night in their fellowship hall. We all ended up attending the wedding reception. Didn't know the bride and groom from Adam (or Eve), but they both looked to be about 16. That wedding crowd was made up of some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.
Gunny Hartman
Great story!

Couple questions:

1) What's Cyclone?

2) Is the Old Store closed now? Does the new one have any relation to the old one?
WILLIS
Volunteer said:

Several years ago my wife and I, plus 2 or 3 other couples stopped at the Old Store on our way back from Cyclone. Across the street from the Old Store is a Catholic Church and they were having a wedding reception that Saturday night in their fellowship hall. We all ended up attending the wedding reception. Didn't know the bride and groom from Adam (or Eve), but they both looked to be about 16. That wedding crowd was made up of some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Ive seen that church before. Like something out of Poland or Germany. Seemed really out of place.
RebelT
BellCountyBear said:

Fuddruckers. Don't care if it's a chain. I like control over how I dress my burger.

Similar to GoldenBear feeling attacked for the denigration of Kitoks earlier, I see things like this and I just get this overwhelming feeling that I'm being ****ed with, because there's no way that anybody actually has this opinion, right?

Best burger in Waco is Fuddruckers?

I still don't know why KenPom likes our offense. - croyse
Yogi
Is Health Camp closing?

It has now been closed for three weeks due to a fire and never opened after its estimated reopening.

Just wondering if they threw in the towel.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Stranger
WILLIS said:

Volunteer said:

Ive seen that church before. Like something out of Poland or Germany. Seemed really out of place.

Some history of that church. In the early part of the 20th century, when the KKK was active, men from the church would stand in the windows in the towers with rifles to protect it from being burned down. The Ku Klux Klan didn't just hate blacks, they hated Catholics. This threat lasted several years but the church stayed safe.
LIB,MR BEARS
Gunny Hartman said:

Green's Sausage House in Zabzikville (sp)?Ok, it looks like y'all already have it figured out. I'd still recommend the extra couple mile to get to
zabcikville tx

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g56754-d512234-r196126829-Green_s_Sausage_House-Temple_Texas.html
forza orsi
WILLIS said:

Volunteer said:

I've been to a wedding there. The inside is even more old world than the outside. A definite Eastern European feel, but really beautiful. Worth a look if you ever have the chance
geewago
Gunny Hartman said:

So it's closed down now?
The Westphalia store has been closed for many years now.

The big grocery in Cego, that had everything, including galvanized tubs has been gone now for at least 25 or more years.

The old Packs grocery in Asa has been closed forever it seems. He basically made his living off the employs at the Lankart cotton farm. After they sold out he got down to soda pops and candy bars but still stocked some Cooks reconditioned motor oil. Steve Cutbirth bought it and demolished it and built a really nice steel building cafe there. It boomed for about two years and then closed and a family bought it and made a dwelling out of it. Kind of a weird spot as well as a weird looking house, but so be it.

The old brick grocery/cafe in Chilton went down a long time ago due to fire. Was never rebuilt. Leo Loe had a little store a little further east up 7 hwy that closed for years after his death but now the kids run it again but it is basically nothing more the pop and candy too.

Wilderville had a booming store/cafe for years.closed for a long time, then a spanish man bought it and remodeled. Had cafe, grocery, pool table, dart board and juke box. lasted about 3 years but is now closed.

Joe Falsone used to run a cotton gin, post office and store in High Bank. Doubt very many of you know where that is. But it's south of Marlin, in a farming community in the Brazos river bottom. Everything there has been closed for 35 years or more. I used to haul his cotton bales from the old gin up to the compress in east Waco.

Mr Moncrief ran the grocery on 77 in Rosenthal for over 40 years. Then the Walkers took over. They soon closed. Then the Hahns opened up and made a Cafe out of it. Bitter divorce forced another closing. Now it is re opened and still has a trickle of business. Mostly a few local regulars.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Thanks and I know many of those places growing up with a father who ran a delivery route.
forza orsi
geewago said:

Joe Falsone used to run a cotton gin, post office and store in High Bank. Doubt very many of you know where that is. But it's south of Marlin, in a farming community in the Brazos river bottom. Everything there has been closed for 35 years or more. I used to haul his cotton bales from the old gin up to the compress in east Waco.

All the Waco Italians know where Highbank is. It's where most of their families were before they came to Waco. A lot went broke during the depression and a large number then moved to Waco, Bryan, and Stafford. I went to high school in Stafford, next to Sugar Land, and it's the same Italian families as here in Waco. Went to high school with Joe Falsone's niece. The Falsone, Tusa, Dicorte, Falco, Palasota, Strangi, Roppollo, Gooch (Americanized from Cuccia), and Scamardo families here all have ties to Highbank, and are all from the same place in Sicily (Gibellina and Poggioreale) where my Sicilian family is also from. When they were young my grandfather and uncles used to drive from Waco to Highbank for dates with proper Sicilian girls. The Highbank Sicilians all just had a big reunion last weekend in Bryan and brought the current mayor of Poggioreale there all the way from Sicily to speak to them.
Wichitabear
That is very interesting. We also have a family in my town that are Italians. Started wine vineyards here. They also return home to make visits once in awhile. Fenoglios. Huge family.
PartyBear
Do any of you remember back in 97, there was a joint in the old Leroy Bank, an old shuttered S&L. Called the Leroy Bank. They served homestyle country meals with a very simple menu. In fact there may not have been a menu. You only had two choices of meat, fried chicken or chicken fried steak. I think perhaps the sides and rolls were all you can eat and we're all the same regardless as to the meat you picked but do not remember for sure. The other fuzzy thing in my memory is that it may have only been open on Friday and Saturday night. Leroy is a tiny town near Ross in rural McLennan County, btw. It may have only been in business in 97. I went once and it was very popular at the time and crowded on that particular Friday night. A lot of folks from Waco would drive out there. It was small so there was usually a wait. It must not have been in business long because I can't find anyone who remembers it. Including a colleague I ran into out there when I was there. It left an impression on me more than others apparently. The food was delicious and the servings were huge. Anyone here remember the place?
4th and Inches
There was a guy trying to reopen the leroy bank a few years back after he closed his restaurant north of West after the blast. Saw his truck there at the place a few times when driving by but never been opened as far as i know...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Volunteer
Gunny Hartman said:

Great story!

Couple questions:

1) What's Cyclone?

2) Is the Old Store closed now? Does the new one have any relation to the old one?
Cyclone is a tiny community just south of Hwy 53 between Temple and Rosebud (it's actually between Westphalia and Temple). There's a BBQ place there called the Cyclone Corral but for as long as I can remember it's just been referred to as "Cyclone". If you've never been to the Cyclone Corral I highly encourage you to gather up 2 or 3 couples and go. I wouldn't say the BBQ is world-class but it's good and the atmosphere is small town Texas perfect. Seating is primarily outdoors under a metal roof with a six foot privacy fence serving as walls. Lots of ceiling fans. Food is all you can eat and is served family style. Beer is pulled from livestock troughs full of ice.

Here's a suggestion: The SPJST hall (called Flag Hall) is just down the street from the Corral. Find out when the next Saturday night dance is scheduled. Go eat at the Corral and then hit Flag Hall for a little two-steppin', polka, and waltz dancing. I can promise it will be a great evening that can only be found in Texas.

Sorry but I don't know if the Old Store is still open. I haven't been by there is several years.

Talking about Westphalia, the Corral, and Flag Hall has got me wanting to go soon.
Volunteer
PartyBear said:

Do any of you remember back in 97, there was a joint in the old Leroy Bank, an old shuttered S&L. Called the Leroy Bank. They served homestyle country meals with a very simple menu. In fact there may not have been a menu. You only had two choices of meat, fried chicken or chicken fried steak. I think perhaps the sides and rolls were all you can eat and we're all the same regardless as to the meat you picked but do not remember for sure. The other fuzzy thing in my memory is that it may have only been open on Friday and Saturday night. Leroy is a tiny town near Ross in rural McLennan County, btw. It may have only been in business in 97. I went once and it was very popular at the time and crowded on that particular Friday night. A lot of folks from Waco would drive out there. It was small so there was usually a wait. It must not have been in business long because I can't find anyone who remembers it. Including a colleague I ran into out there when I was there. It left an impression on me more than others apparently. The food was delicious and the servings were huge. Anyone here remember the place?
Not sure this is the same place, but there was a restaurant several years ago called the Leroy Feedlot. As I remember it, the menu was as you described.
LIB,MR BEARS
geewago said:

Gunny Hartman said:

So it's closed down now?
The Westphalia store has been closed for many years now.

The big grocery in Cego, that had everything, including galvanized tubs has been gone now for at least 25 or more years.

The old Packs grocery in Asa has been closed forever it seems. He basically made his living off the employs at the Lankart cotton farm. After they sold out he got down to soda pops and candy bars but still stocked some Cooks reconditioned motor oil. Steve Cutbirth bought it and demolished it and built a really nice steel building cafe there. It boomed for about two years and then closed and a family bought it and made a dwelling out of it. Kind of a weird spot as well as a weird looking house, but so be it.

The old brick grocery/cafe in Chilton went down a long time ago due to fire. Was never rebuilt. Leo Loe had a little store a little further east up 7 hwy that closed for years after his death but now the kids run it again but it is basically nothing more the pop and candy too.

Wilderville had a booming store/cafe for years.closed for a long time, then a spanish man bought it and remodeled. Had cafe, grocery, pool table, dart board and juke box. lasted about 3 years but is now closed.

Mr Moncrief ran the grocery on 77 in Rosenthal for over 40 years. Then the Walkers took over. They soon closed. Then the Hahns opened up and made a Cafe out of it. Bitter divorce forced another closing. Now it is re opened and still has a trickle of business. Mostly a few local regulars.
did you get your jeans and boots at The Fair?

http://www.tdtnews.com/archive/article_622ad047-cac4-5114-803d-7928eeb0ee7e.html
Gunny Hartman
Geewago, does Westphalia Market in Lott have anything in common with the old store?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
PartyBear said:

Leroy is near Elm Mott, Ross is near Tokio.
PartyBear
Well Ross and Elm Mott are both about 7 miles from Leroy. It seems I recall taking the Ross exit from 35 to get out there.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

PartyBear said:

And Elm Mott is still the Holy City of the Most Immaculate and Serene, Noble and Supreme NoZe Brotherhood. Satch.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

Brian Ethridge said:

PartyBear said:

And Elm Mott is still the Holy City of the Most Immaculate and Serene, Noble and Supreme NoZe Brotherhood. Satch.

And a great elementary school

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.