Tex-Mex

18,156 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4th and Inches
IASIP Rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

canoso said:

Gold Tron said:

My son and his friends like El Charro Tapatio off 17th and Waco Dr. It is inexpensive and good quality authentic Mexican food. They go there after Church frequently.
What you said. Another place near there is El Ranchito on out Waco Drive at about 23rd Street.
Are these Tex-Mex or Mexican?
Ranchito primarily serves an Hispanic clientele.
toughbear
Papi Taco in McGregor for breakfast- authentic and vey good
Brickhouse
Torchy's Tacos <ducks>
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Brickhouse said:

Torchy's Tacos

via GIPHY

stillwaiting
Lots of great places already mentioned... IMHO unmentioned jewels...

Carne Guisada ---el charro on la salle
Breakfast burritos-- Pablo's on 18th
Carnitas--- Olympic on 18th
Caldo----Garibaldis on Brook Circle
Brian Ethridge
Staff
stillwaiting said:

Lots of great places already mentioned... IMHO unmentioned jewels...

Carne Guisada ---el charro on la salle
Breakfast burritos-- Pablo's on 18th
Carnitas--- Olympic on 18th
Caldo----Garibaldis on Brook Circle
El Charro is great tasting

Don't know the other places. Will need to investigate.
4th and Inches
Some guys that work for my master electrician were telling me about this place at the corner of 18 and colcord... haven't hit it up yet but got good reviews from a couple of hispanic guys.

Olympic is legit- they make my hamburger list too- bring cash!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
trey3216
El Charro also has some of the best salsa ever created
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
KajunKarlsdad
Coyote Bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

Newish place called El Paso took over where BWW was on Franklin (across from Cheddars). Appears to be pretty good, something new to try anyway.

Really? I'd say it's one of the worst restaurants in Waco. Of course, Tex Mex done by folks from Louisiana just doesn't jive.

Like seafood done by Texans.
CammoTX

Well, I can't speak for Dallas or Waco, but we can hold our own down here in Houston. We've had a Brennan's (only one outside of NOLA) for over 50 years and Gaidos for over 100.

BTW, Reef just re-opened after a two year hiatus!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
KajunKarlsdad said:

Coyote Bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

Newish place called El Paso took over where BWW was on Franklin (across from Cheddars). Appears to be pretty good, something new to try anyway.

Really? I'd say it's one of the worst restaurants in Waco. Of course, Tex Mex done by folks from Louisiana just doesn't jive.

Like seafood done by Texans.
As long as you don't consider crawfish and catfish seafood.
FirmBear24
Echo the recs for El Charro. Went today. Damn good.
Eball
Back in my day it was Sour Cream Chicken enchiladas from El Nopal...
Dia del DougO
La Fiesta was my favorite Tex Mex restaurant in the world until a decade or so ago when they threw away all the original recipes and started serving typical run of the mill stuff. It was heartbreaking.

I love the pollo chains, Pollo Rico, Regio... Wish there was still one in the area. They just don't seem to get any support around here.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
WacoKelly83
Heard somewhere that El Pollo Loco might be moving into Waco. Darn good chain food.
davesburgerbarn
El Charro is very solid for breakfast. Lupita's on 19th St is legit, but they are cash only. Veronica's on Franklin Ave has the best barbacoa in town.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
stillwaiting
davesburgerbarn said:

El Charro is very solid for breakfast. Lupita's on 19th St is legit, but they are cash only. Veronica's on Franklin Ave has the best barbacoa in town.

High quality Carne Guisada at Veronica's as well.
DanaDane
Waco Tex Mex has always begun and ended with El Con. I have never and will never understand Wacoans fascination with La Fiesta, whose food has always tasted like bad mexican TV dinners to me. But, I guess the chips, salsa and margaritas were passable, so maybe they were already full before the food came?
SoonerFrogs
El Con is not what it was. Surprised no mention of Leal's.
FirmBear24
Chili Topper is still one of my favorite dishes. Huevos con chorizo for breakfast. Love their salsa.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
SoonerFrogs said:

You speak the truth. Leal's ain't that great either.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SoonerFrogs said:

Blasphemy
SoonerFrogs
El Conquistador was our family Friday night staple from the late 80s until around 2002. Something changed around then and its never been the same. It was best when they were across the street, slowly faded in the Nick's location. Its not terrible by any means, just not the same.
trey3216
SoonerFrogs said:

I don't consider burrito joints in my list. Although Leal's Has some solid grub, they're a burrito joint
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SoonerFrogs said:

El Conquistador was our family Friday night staple from the late 80s until around 2002. Something changed around then and its never been the same. It was best when they were across the street, slowly faded in the Nick's location. Its not terrible by any means, just not the same.

Bellmead and Hillsboro locations are the two I frequent
Dia del DougO
WacoKelly83 said:

Heard somewhere that El Pollo Loco might be moving into Waco. Darn good chain food.
Yeah, I heard that a good while back, but it seems to have ceased to exist before it ever existed.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
forza orsi
trey3216 said:

SoonerFrogs said:

I don't consider burrito joints in my list. Although Leal's Has some solid grub, they're a burrito joint
Leal's - the puerco y nopalitos plato is pretty darn tasty.
IASIP Rocks
BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

IASIP Rocks
Caesar Leal is a saint!!
SoonerFrogs
did anyone ever visit the Robinson location of Leals? Their chili toppers were HUGE. Victor and Cesar are indeed saints.
BaylorGuy314
Leals has gone down, IMO. Not sure why but the last few times I've been there, I've been really disappointed.

I don't get the El Con love. Their food has always been really bland to me but people born and raised here seem to love it.

Taqueria #9 on Valley Mills is my favorite, local "Tex-Mex" joint. Los Cucos is my favorite chain.
trey3216
BaylorGuy314 said:

Leals has gone down, IMO. Not sure why but the last few times I've been there, I've been really disappointed.

I don't get the El Con love. Their food has always been really bland to me but people born and raised here seem to love it.

Taqueria #9 on Valley Mills is my favorite, local "Tex-Mex" joint. Los Cucos is my favorite chain.
i concur. I usually get beef fajita burritos, and Leal's beef recently tastes like they got it at the discount window at H&B packing. Not good
Banned BarleyMcDougal
IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

The El Con in Waco is very meh. I haven't been to Leal's in quite some time, but it wasn't anything to write home about when I went.

I have heard that the El Con in Bellmead is better. I'm not sure how 5 miles makes a difference, but apparently it does. I used to go to the place way up on Valley Mills until they changed vendors. Now it's the same generic crap as everybody else.

I never understood why mexican joints bought that spanish rice. It's terrible. PEAS at a MEXICAN joint? Ya wey! No bueno. Great mexican rice is easy: toast some rice in oil, add chopped onion and saute, followed by some tomato paste and cilantro and garlic. Then add chicken bouillon and water and cook it till it's done.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BaylorGuy314 said:

I'll tell you a little secret...if it says "Voted best in Waco"...pick something else 90% of the time.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

The El Con in Waco is very meh. I haven't been to Leal's in quite some time, but it wasn't anything to write home about when I went.

I have heard that the El Con in Bellmead is better. I'm not sure how 5 miles makes a difference, but apparently it does. I used to go to the place way up on Valley Mills until they changed vendors. Now it's the same generic crap as everybody else.

I never understood why mexican joints bought that spanish rice. It's terrible. PEAS at a MEXICAN joint? Ya wey! No bueno. Great mexican rice is easy: toast some rice in oil, add chopped onion and saute, followed by some tomato paste and cilantro and garlic. Then add chicken bouillon and water and cook it till it's done.
The peas in rice are a regional affair. Jalisco and Tamulipas both use peas and carrots.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.