Tex-Mex

18,170 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

El Con is not what it was. Surprised no mention of Leal's.
You speak the truth. Leal's ain't that great either.

Excuse me?

The El Con in Waco is very meh. I haven't been to Leal's in quite some time, but it wasn't anything to write home about when I went.

I have heard that the El Con in Bellmead is better. I'm not sure how 5 miles makes a difference, but apparently it does. I used to go to the place way up on Valley Mills until they changed vendors. Now it's the same generic crap as everybody else.

I never understood why mexican joints bought that spanish rice. It's terrible. PEAS at a MEXICAN joint? Ya wey! No bueno. Great mexican rice is easy: toast some rice in oil, add chopped onion and saute, followed by some tomato paste and cilantro and garlic. Then add chicken bouillon and water and cook it till it's done.
The peas in rice are a regional affair. Jalisco and Tamulipas both use peas and carrots.
I'm impressed you know that. But, that stuff is out-of-a-box junk that comes from vendors. It isn't hard to cut up fresh carrots and buy frozen peas.
trey3216
BarleyMcDougal said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

The El Con in Waco is very meh. I haven't been to Leal's in quite some time, but it wasn't anything to write home about when I went.

I have heard that the El Con in Bellmead is better. I'm not sure how 5 miles makes a difference, but apparently it does. I used to go to the place way up on Valley Mills until they changed vendors. Now it's the same generic crap as everybody else.

I never understood why mexican joints bought that spanish rice. It's terrible. PEAS at a MEXICAN joint? Ya wey! No bueno. Great mexican rice is easy: toast some rice in oil, add chopped onion and saute, followed by some tomato paste and cilantro and garlic. Then add chicken bouillon and water and cook it till it's done.
The peas in rice are a regional affair. Jalisco and Tamulipas both use peas and carrots.
I'm impressed you know that. But, that stuff is out-of-a-box junk that comes from vendors. It isn't hard to cut up fresh carrots and buy frozen peas.
Most, if not all of them, buy par-cooked rice and put frozen carrots and peas into the mix during the process, FYI.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
trey3216 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

Most, if not all of them, buy par-cooked rice and put frozen carrots and peas into the mix during the process, FYI.
Whatever the method, it's wrong. And it's nasty.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

trey3216 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

Whatever the method, it's wrong. And it's nasty.

via GIPHY

Banned BarleyMcDougal
"Forget it, Jake. It's Tamaulipas."
BUwolverine2012
El Crucero.
Jesus is a wonderful man and he has an amazing family. The older daughter went to Baylor I believe. My buddy has his graduation dinner here and I always stop here for a burrito every time I am in Waco.
MoneyBear
If you don't mind driving for the best Mexican food you can get, El Jardin in Hamilton TX guys the bill. It's a solid 45-60 minutes from Waco but their food is stellar. Chips and salsa off the chart, great enchiladas and the best fajitas I've found anywhere. El Con can cannot touch this place...not even close.

Additional fun fact: It's family owned by a young guy who spent years going through the citizenship channels to finally get legal last year. When his approval got held up, the entire town complained and he got an endorsement from a senator to speed up the process.
Sic'em
MoneyBear
Only went to this place once but I was impressed by Lolita's at Franklin and about 17th. You want their salsa with the cheese in it for sure. And we've ordered in breakfast tacos several times, legit every time.
Sic'em
WILLIS
MoneyBear said:

If you don't mind driving for the best Mexican food you can get, El Jardin in Hamilton TX guys the bill. It's a solid 45-60 minutes from Waco but their food is stellar. Chips and salsa off the chart, great enchiladas and the best fajitas I've found anywhere. El Con can cannot touch this place...not even close.

Additional fun fact: It's family owned by a young guy who spent years going through the citizenship channels to finally get legal last year. When his approval got held up, the entire town complained and he got an endorsement from a senator to speed up the process.

This is GREAT to know. Regularly pass through there.
PartyBear
Leal's in Woodway. Great breakfasts.
canoso
MoneyBear said:

Continuing with other places outside of Waco, I'll mention El Tapatio on 84 at the western edge of Gatesville. Have eaten there a number of times. Caveat: it's been a while since I was last there, but imo at that time it beat anything in Waco.
Tiny Elvis
Old300Bear said:

My favorite is Mi Casita next to the Dominos on Hewitt Drive. Just good texmex like you get in small town Texas. Also pretty cheap.

Good call Fred...100% agree
Old300Bear
See your folks in there all the time.
Fred Barber
Tiny Elvis
Here's a trivia question...I don't think this place is still open but what was the name of the Mexican place in Waco on Hwy 6 near the old Pagitt's Camera store?
WacoKelly83
La Cabana. It used to be on the corner of Waco Dr and 18th. Owners were from Mexico attending Baylor. Husband and wife. Had a great buffet at one time.
PartyBear
I remember that being on Highway 6 between Richland Mall and Target. When was it on 18th and Waco Dr and which building was it in?
WacoKelly83
On the corner where the pawn shop is now. My friend was the manager.
MoneyBear
WILLIS said:

MoneyBear said:

This is GREAT to known. Regularly pass through there.

Totally worth the stop. It's on the square downtown.
Sic'em
Bruingirl
canoso said:

MoneyBear said:

Continuing with other places outside of Waco, I'll mention El Tapatio on 84 at the western edge of Gatesville. Have eaten there a number of times. Caveat: it's been a while since I was last there, but imo at that time it beat anything in Waco.
They're about the same, but the El Tapatio (or, as the locals call it "El-Tap") on 84 that is in the middle part of town is just a little bit better than the one on the west end. The west end has more room, but the service and the food is better at the other one.
Can't it just be game time already?
J.R.
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

You people like some terrible Mexican food.

1.) El Crucero just off the Circle on Robinson Dr
2.) Rufi's Cocina on 35th
3.) Valles on Valley Mills

For to go orders you have to hit up 3 specific locations for three different types of food

1.) Taqueria Zacatecas (LaSalle) for barbacoa torta or cabeza tacos
2.) La Milpa (LaSalle) for barbacoa nachos
3.) Taqueria Mexican Taco (Speight) for al pastor tacos

Obviously some of these aren't TexMex but that's the good stuff right there.
I was trying to limit to Tex-Mex, but El Con is good for a greasy plate of enchiladas and crispy taco.

If I want to do Mexican or Salvadoran I don't expect El Con to have that.
so, no Paupusas at El con?
J.R.
BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

now is that the Leal's of West Texas Fame?
J.R.
Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

yes, and it is a little more complicated than that.
J.R.
J.R. said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

For to go orders you have to hit up 3 specific locations for three different types of food

I was trying to limit to Tex-Mex, but El Con is good for a greasy plate of enchiladas and crispy taco.

oh, yes, is. extra slaw
J.R.
J.R. said:

J.R. said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

oh, yes, is. extra slaw

no.... no way. Lots in our town however
trey3216
J.R. said:

J.R. said:

J.R. said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

oh, yes, is. extra slaw

You need to login to your sock account if you're going to converse with yourself
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Old300Bear
JR ,
It is not the Leal's from Muleshoe. Wish it was.
Fred Barber
william
WacoKelly83 said:

La Cabana. It used to be on the corner of Waco Dr and 18th. Owners were from Mexico attending Baylor. Husband and wife. Had a great buffet at one time.
that was the hip new place for a year or so. great warm salsa.

great margs. good food.

- el BUmma
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

J.R. said:

J.R. said:

J.R. said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

oh, yes, is. extra slaw

You need to login to your sock account if you're going to converse with yourself
BaylorHistory
J.R. said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

IASIP Rocks said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Excuse me?

yes, and it is a little more complicated than that.
I know abuelita-in-law from Southern Zacatecas who is illeterate, but the best cook in South Waco uses peas and carrots.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Old300Bear
I am surprised that Abuelo's has not come to Waco.
Fred Barber
canoso
Bruingirl said:

canoso said:

MoneyBear said:

They're about the same, but the El Tapatio (or, as the locals call it "El-Tap") on 84 that is in the middle part of town is just a little bit better than the one on the west end. The west end has more room, but the service and the food is better at the other one.

Never ate at the downtown location since I knew the servers at the original place and it was closer to my workplace. Will try downtown next time I'm out that way, which is now seldom. If it's better than the original, Katie bar the door!
Yogi
Hecho in Waco, El Conquistador,, Chuy's-yea

I am normally a Los Cucos fan, but the Waco location seems to underperform the San Antonio locations.

Also of mention: Trujillo's, La Fiesta, Castillo and the drive inside that little house on La Salle.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Old300Bear said:

I am surprised that Abuelo's has not come to Waco.

Purina has a plant already?

Sorry, not a fan of it in Dallas.
Old300Bear
Not a huge fan either, just seems like a natural for Waco.
Fred Barber
Bruingirl
canoso said:

Bruingirl said:

canoso said:

MoneyBear said:

Never ate at the downtown location since I knew the servers at the original place and it was closer to my workplace. Will try downtown next time I'm out that way, which is now seldom. If it's better than the original, Katie bar the door!
Downtown doesn't serve alcohol, but they don't care if you bring in your own.
Can't it just be game time already?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.