Favorite Restaurants of Waco's Past

57,522 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by A Grateful Bear
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
zebra90 said:

Jailhouse BBQ in the 70's

On Fourth street, just a few blocks from the business school. Grabbed a few sandwiches there after class on my way back to the Quad (around 1974 - 76)
StacyLynn624
I got all the way to page 8, and no one said Mazzio's?

We used to go to Mazzio's for pizza after Baylor games when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90's. It wasn't the best pizza in the world, but it was good. Mainly, I have great memories of going to games at FCS, eating at Mazzio's, then heading back home to Dallas.

All the ones I remember from when I was in college were already named: Johnny Carino's (my husband and I went there every week it seemed like), El Chico, Campeche Bakery, the Hilton restaurant.

I only went to Cathay House once in College and wanted to go back, but sounds like that's not a good idea these days. Too bad. It was delicious.
chorne68
Laverders...All you could eat for $3.00. I used to leave sick I ate so much. This was in the mid 60's.
william
bularry said:

dave714 said:

Steak and ale

Fine dining circa 1988
yessir - mid 80's.

- KKM

great salad bar.

thanks (and RIP) norman!!
CTbruin
chorne68 said:

Laverders...All you could eat for $3.00. I used to leave sick I ate so much. This was in the mid 60's.
It started with all you can eat for $.98.
lrwells50
StacyLynn624 said:

We used to go to Mazzio's for pizza after Baylor games when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90's. It wasn't the best pizza in the world, but it was good. Mainly, I have great memories of going to games at FCS, eating at Mazzio's, then heading back home to Dallas.

All the ones I remember from when I was in college were already named: Johnny Carino's (my husband and I went there every week it seemed like), El Chico, Campeche Bakery, the Hilton restaurant.

I only went to Cathay House once in College and wanted to go back, but sounds like that's not a good idea these days. Too bad. It was delicious.
These were all after my time, but Mazzios was never a favorite of mine.
cowboycwr
StacyLynn624 said:

Mazzios???? wow it must have really gone downhill by the late 90s.

I went there once and it was like cardboard with a little pizza sauce and some cheese on it.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

StacyLynn624 said:

I went there once and it was like cardboard with a little pizza sauce and some cheese on it.
It was slightly more edible than Cici's
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

StacyLynn624 said:

It was slightly more edible than Cici's
I disagree. I went back to Cici's multiple times during college.

I vowed to never go back to Mazzios.

And I was a broke starving college kid that would have gone just about anywhere for cheap. But it was inedible crap.
Bearupnobly
How about Ira's? Mostly Chicken Fried Steak for me. I lived in Waco from 72-75 and then from 77-80, but my grandparents lived in Waco from the 20's til their death, and there weren't too many place mentioned around during that time that I didn't eat at. A real trip down memory lane..
Thanks, Bearupnobly
StacyLynn624
Maybe it was the tiny arcade and the salad bar. We didn't eat out much when I was a kid. Great memories.
Pecos 45
Italian Village
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Pea Weevil
Italian Village hands down. I also wished that I had given Wimpy's Burgers in Lacy Lakeview a chance while it was still there. Since I never ate there I have no idea if they were any good or not. I can however confirm that Burger Chef (near where Five Guys is now located) was terrible.

Pea Weevil
dave714
Lone star tavern in bellmead.
Fat Daddy
dave714 said:

Lone star tavern in bellmead.

It's still there...
Pecos 45
Not an "eatery" but a short-lived, but very popular club in downtown Waco was the Red Dog Saloon. I saw Willie Nelson there in 1974, and they also had Ray Wylie Hubbard and all the "outlaws" of the early 70s.
The owner was Stan Farr, who was shot and killed at Priscilla Davis' house the night T. Cullen Davis came in and killed two people, then got away with it when a jury set him free.
And this was decades before O.J. Simpson.
Malcolm Forbes
Fat Daddy
zebra90 said:

Jailhouse BBQ in the 70's

Not necessarily because it was good, but because it was convenient (4th street on my way to the Quad).
PartyBear
Pecos 45 said:

Not an "eatery" but a short-lived, but very popular club in downtown Waco was the Red Dog Saloon. I saw Willie Nelson there in 1974, and they also had Ray Wylie Hubbard and all the "outlaws" of the early 70s.
The owner was Stan Farr, who was shot and killed at Priscilla Davis' house the night T. Cullen Davis came in and killed two people, then got away with it when a jury set him free.

Where was the Red Dog Saloon?

Does anyone remember a bbq place on Austin Ave near 7th called Fats Brick Pit around 1984/85? It only lasted about a year. A different time for a place like that down town than it is now.
Pecos 45
PartyBear said:

Pecos 45 said:

Where was the Red Dog Saloon?

Does anyone remember a bbq place on Austin Ave near 7th called Fats Brick Pit around 1984/85? It only lasted about a year. A different time for a place like that down town than it is now.
Red Dog Saloon was in the "refurbished" downtown Waco area. In the 70s they tried to remake downtown, and it was there.
Malcolm Forbes
PartyBear
I already understood you to have said it was downtown. I meant what part. Like street and cross street approximation.
fadskier
WacoKelly83 said:

Italian Village
YES! Best margaritas and mexican food. I spent a whole summer eating and drinking there...
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Baylor Pride
Big Daddy's
Underwoods BBQ
Baylor Alum - Class of '99
TenBears
So I have this data point recollection of this sandwich place on campus. Mid 70's. Corner of James and 5th, kind of where there was later an ATM and maybe the PD station. All I remember was eating a grilled cheese there. Further up 5th was Baylor Records, and of course Baylor Drug Store.
beardoc
notbubbleboy said:

So I have this data point recollection of this sandwich place on campus. Mid 70's. Corner of James and 5th, kind of where there was later an ATM and maybe the PD station. All I remember was eating a grilled cheese there. Further up 5th was Baylor Records, and of course Baylor Drug Store.
Was this Frank's? I remember it was a sandwich place that became something else.
Fat Daddy
notbubbleboy said:

The Green House?
Nguyen One Soon
Think it was written as one word -- The Greenhouse.
TenBears
That's it!
RiskyBizz Bear
tombeaux said:

Not a restaurant, but several times we showed up late at night at the bread bakery near one of the bridges over the railroad tracks. You went to the back door and for a quarter, they would bring you an unsliced loaf in a brown paper bag, hot out of the oven. Crack it open, let some butter melt on it, and enjoy!

Ha. My mom, was there late 70s, used to tell us about doing this.

That, and running the tunnels under campus...??
RiskyBizz Bear
jbbear
I still miss TJ Cinnamons. They had the best cinnamon rolls and sticky buns. And Finance prof Tipton owned it and would be there rolling out the dough.
EnglishBear
Still coming to terms with the Village Bakery in West being gone. Just brutal.

Is Tradinghouse Bar & Grill still around? I definitely didn't not have a few underage beers there in the mid-90s.
tcbear
Yes, Tradinghouse is still operating. I think it is open Thursday through Saturday.

I spent tons of time there from 90-94.
PartyBear
I didn't read all the way through did anyone mention Ly Le's?
TenBears
I also more or less remember a pretty good burger place at Ft Fisher INSIDE what is now the museum. Again in the 70's
Nguyen One Soon
Didn't see any mention of Mary's Aunt, across Valley Mills from Floyd Casey and toward Franklin a ways. Think it was near where the Stripes is now. Great chicken fried steak, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.