Favorite Restaurants of Waco's Past

59,703 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by A Grateful Bear
SoonerFrogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dairy Twist then Taco Rico?
Wichitabear
Definitely the smokehouse
dave714
Steak and ale
Wichitabear
I had forgotten about them. Always enjoyed eating there too.
dave714
This isnt food related. Does anyone remember the old airplane on top of a building along old Dallas hwy back in the early 70's.
bularry
dave714 said:

Steak and ale

Fine dining circa 1988
Iron Claw
J.R. said:

Can I get some love for Jess Radle's out on hyw6? Let me hear from the rednecks!

Loved Jess Radles. Roomies and I would eat CFS. After the salad we would squirt dressing on crackers until the meal arrived. It's a wonder I stayed under 160 lbs during my time in Waco. (30 years later I have remained under 175.) (Not to brag.)

Someone mentioned Archy Burgers. We would go around campus and get the coupons out of the campus directories for free burger or fries. We could get tons of food for less than $2 each.

Ly-Le was another fav. For some reason the common thread is quantity of food we were able to eat! My roommates were some big boys.
dave714
The Griddle. 753-2417 LOL that was actually their number. Crazy I remember it after 30 years.
FirmBear24
Seemed appropriate to post here that the old WaterWorks building just sold.

Local businessman Taylor Hobbs and his wife Rachel purchased it. From the Trib article dated August 12, the building will be used for business, not a restaurant/bar, but the historical character of the building will be retained.
Wichitabear
Which is great!
FirmBear24
Anything is better than a vacant building or a club that attracted 220 police calls in three years.
Chipoople
There was a little hole-in-the-wall place on Brook Circle, just off Bosque and 34th Street, There's a place called Garibaldi there now.

Tiny little place, but it had great steak fingers, chicken fingers and fries. Usually served with a pickled pepper.

Edit: I think it was called Jackie's,
transmit5by9
Nalli's Handy Chef, I believe .
Stranger
Chipoople said:

There was a little hole-in-the-wall place on Brook Circle, just off Bosque and 34th Street, There's a place called Garibaldi there now.

Tiny little place, but it had great steak fingers, chicken fingers and fries. Usually served with a pickled pepper.

Edit: I think it was called Jackie's,

In its later years it was called Jackie's. In its original incarnation it was known as Nalley's. Steak fingers, chicken fingers and catfish. All fried, of course. French fries and Texas toast.
I'm a Bearbacker
dave714
Jackie's was great. The gravy was awesome.
Chipoople
There was also an orange and white restaurant on the corner of MacArthur and Hillcrest that I remember my folks liking when I was a kid (it's not Whataburger).
MrGolfguy
Chipoople said:

There was also an orange and white restaurant on the corner of MacArthur and Hillcrest that I remember my folks liking when I was a kid (it's not Whataburger).
A&W
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
whitetrash
MrGolfguy said:

Chipoople said:

A&W
A&W was on Lake Air where Wendy's is. Griddle used to be at Hillcrest & MacArthur where the clinic is now.
MrGolfguy
There was an A&W at MacArthur/Hillcrest too, my mom & grandmother took me there often (lived 1/2 mile away).
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
whitetrash
MrGolfguy said:

There was an A&W at MacArthur/Hillcrest too, my mom & grandmother took me there often (lived 1/2 mile away).
Long before my time. I recall the one on VM/Lake Air from about 1966/67 until Wendy's replaced it in 1978.
Chipoople
whitetrash said:

MrGolfguy said:

Chipoople said:

A&W
A&W was on Lake Air where Wendy's is. Griddle used to be at Hillcrest & MacArthur where the clinic is now.

Yep definitely Griddle.

Is Tom's Burgers still good? Capt Billys? I'm sure Dubl R still is.
LionBear
I just called that number and Chip Gaines answered. How cool is that?
Pea Weevil
"there was an A&W at MacArthur/Hillcrest too,"
I don't think so unless it was before I was born. That location was a Kim's (or maybe it was The Griddle) back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Pea Weevil
cowboycwr
Pea Weevil said:

I don't think so unless it was before I was born. That location was a Kim's (or maybe it was The Griddle) back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Pea Weevil

I can't help on what was at that intersection but...

Kim's was a chain?

Or not always at the location it is at now on Waco Dr?
Pea Weevil
I thought there were more than one Kim's but perhaps it was a one of a kind establishment. I didn't even realize until now that it is still open: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kims-50s-diner-waco-2 I thought it closed down a few years ago but apparently not.

Pea Weevil
trey3216
Pea Weevil said:

I thought there were more than one Kim's but perhaps it was a one of a kind establishment. I didn't even realize until now that it is still open: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kims-50s-diner-waco-2 I thought it closed down a few years ago but apparently not.

Pea Weevil

It closed down and then re-opened under new ownership. That ownership held onto it for about 18 months after re-construction and sold it again if I'm not mistaken.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

Pea Weevil said:

Pea Weevil

It closed down and then re-opened under new ownership. That ownership held onto it for about 18 months after re-construction and sold it again if I'm not mistaken.
Correct. It was closed for a while, then remodeled (but still looks old fashioned), reopened and then sold. I like it and enjoy the food there.
Liteitup
There were several locations of Kim's. At least according to this Trib article and from talking to Sarah in the article while the Stanley's still owned it and I went to breakfast there weekly.

https://www.wacotrib.com/waco_today_magazine/the-story-of-kim-s-old-school-restaurant-still-dishing/article_50c59694-3c77-5d2a-9bac-901d4682302f.html

In addition to the Waco Drive location, Kim's had a number of other locations throughout the years: on 18th Street; at 33rd Street and Hillcrest Drive; on South Valley Mills Drive; and one in Woodway, which was located near the Highway 84 access road and Santa Fe Drive.

I believe this was the old Bill Miller car lot.
The Stanleys' first Waco location, on East Waco Drive, was called AAA.

Full disclosure, I still go to breakfast there weekly.

BUAL
There was a Chinese hole in the wall that had great eggrolls. Mid to late 80s. Left side of Valley Mills about 2/3rds the way down going from I35 toward Lake Waco. Hunan House or something like that. Ate 100 eggrolls and chicken fried rice.

Peoples was an odd chain during that era.
beardoc
Iirc, People's had a hepatitis A outbreak that killed several. The resulting lawsuits closed them down.
Malbec
Pea Weevil said:

Pea Weevil

It was The Griddle. Ate many a Southern Caper there and at the SoVM location..
HunterBear
Chathams Drive-In at Valley Mills & Waco Drive.

I think I could have survived a long time on Chicken Shack rolls and Tanglewood Farms bisquits.
PartyBear
I had no idea there were so many Kim's. When I moved here in early 80s there was just the one on Waco Dr and no remnants of the others.
Sampi82
HunterBear said:

Chathams Drive-In at Valley Mills & Waco Drive.

I think I could have survived a long time on Chicken Shack rolls and Tanglewood Farms bisquits.

The father of a friend of mine and roommate one year owned and operated Tanglewood Farms. That was his grandmother's biscuit recipe. I was enjoying those before Tanglewood Farms.
dstaylor57
I still have an old menu from the Elite Cafe from back in the early 60's. We used to eat there every home game and I always had the broiled red snapper steak, "the king of the gulf" with french fries.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.