Favorite Restaurants of Waco's Past

57,163 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by A Grateful Bear
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
notbubbleboy said:

I also more or less remember a pretty good burger place at Ft Fisher INSIDE what is now the museum. Again in the 70's

I remember that place. Was very good but not real well known. My Dad and I would go there for lunch and most times would run into Abner McCall. Was one of his favorites
HunterBear
CTbruin said:

chorne68 said:

Laverders...All you could eat for $3.00. I used to leave sick I ate so much. This was in the mid 60's.
It started with all you can eat for $.98.

I was always amazed as a kid that all these people would go up the stairs, I guess that's where the restrooms were.
dave714
Surf and Sirlone on Franklin where Guess BBQ is now. It was around 1975.
william
Silo closing..... Big Red w/ a giant unwanted Stack 'o 'Jacks.

FlapJack ShipLap.

- BUmma

{ sipping coffee }

Bexar Pitts
Hope I haven't overlooked this in an earlier post, but Mrs. V's Speight House was a lifesaver for some of us. I remember it being about 10th and Speight...could be a block or so off..A true boarding house, her meals were served in like fashion...Late 60's..early 70's my crew would stagger in and load up on carbs both before and after road trips..Always on our best behavior, cause Mrs. V didn't put up with "rowdies" at her table. A whoppin' $1.25 for one good size meat, all the Taters, Greens, Corn, etc. and all the bread you wanted. I think she offered a desert, but I never made it that far. I've seen big old West Texas jocks wobble out to the curb...ready to either get on the road,or head home for a long nap...GREAT memories of that place! Sic 'Em
GhettoHEBear
Oso Burrito all day long
Baylor Mafioso
GhettoHEBear
PTGHUNTER said:

Egg Roll House...although it could be if it was still there I would just think it is mediocre Chinese food.

Yeah my 19 yo self loved Egg Roll House. I bet now it would taste like stale cat rolls
Baylor Mafioso
tcbear
I ate at least four times a week at Oso Burrito. Loved it.
Camo08
As a kid in the mid 80's, Gil's Campus Grill in Crossroads West was my favorite greasy cheeseburger restaurant for lunch. The always cigarette smoke filled Jack-N-Jill Donuts a few doors down was my must have for breakfast.
BellCountyBear
Chelsea Street Pub in the Richland Mall on "Thirsty Thursdays"!
BoonDockSaint
The Campus Burrito and Big Daddy's Burgers
airforcebear
There was a pizza place across the street from Martin Hall, owned by a professional graduate student, Bill Harris...actually had a barbecue pizza which was great. The benchmark pizza was at Italian Village, however. This was in the '60s.
Keyser Soze
Brazos Landing 3 for 1 Thursdays
TenBears
Schlotzskys directly across the street from Collins. They sold be as late as 1982. Literally played quarters there, maybe 10 feet from campus.
A Grateful Bear
notbubbleboy said:

Schlotzskys directly across the street from Collins. They sold be as late as 1982. Literally played quarters there, maybe 10 feet from campus.

Preferred the Schmaltz's right across from Brooks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.