Jack in the Box Woodway

12,075 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SteamedHams
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Noticed today that this location was closed and all the signage was removed. Anyone know the story here? Closed, renovated, or new restaurant? I wouldn't miss it if Jack was gone.
trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

Noticed today that this location was closed and all the signage was removed. Anyone know the story here? Closed, renovated, or new restaurant? I wouldn't miss it if Jack was gone.
Likely gone for good. As that area has grown, it has become an awful location for any business from 84 to Chapel Rd. Too difficult to get over there.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Likely gone for good. As that area has grown, it has become an awful location for any business from 84 to Chapel Rd. Too difficult to get over there.
...and the service at that location was notoriously poor even when scaling for fast food service.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Eleven-League Grant
It is a bit of an anomaly. Location is everything, but it's not always easy to explain.

With the HEB presence next door, it would seem traffic would be good and that it would be a can't miss location.

On the other hand, Advance Auto Parts could not make the adjacent former BlockBuster [EDIT: Hollywood Video] location work, despite trying for quite a while to build traffic. They even added an entrance/exit to Old McGregor road that BlockBuster did not have.

IIRC, the last time I looked the broker for that property was even willing to subdivide. It has been on the market for quite a while, obviously.

Go down Hewitt Drive and they'll quote you lots by the square inch, it seems. It makes sourcing 'comps' fun.
trey3216
Eleven-League Grant said:

It is a bit of an anomaly. Location is everything, but it's not always easy to explain.

With the HEB presence next door, it would seem traffic would be good and that it would be a can't miss location.

On the other hand, Advance Auto Parts could not make the adjacent former BlockBuster location work, despite trying for quite a while to build traffic. They even added an entrance/exit to Old McGregor road that BlockBuster did not have.

IIRC, the last time I looked the broker for that property was even willing to subdivide. It has been on the market for quite a while, obviously.

Go down Hewitt Drive and they'll quote you lots by the square inch, it seems. It makes sourcing 'comps' fun.

The old "Too busy on that street, no one ever goes there" anomaly.
baylrballa
it's fast food, so you don't expect much, but definitely had my worst customer service experience ever there years ago and never went back.
WacoKelly83
I think Starbucks should move into the building. The current locations access is very dangerous. Might be safer on the other side of the street. But what do I know? Probably be worse.
trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

I think Starbucks should move into the building. The current locations access is very dangerous. Might be safer on the other side of the street. But what do I know? Probably be worse.
I honestly think the JitB and auto parts buildings should be razed and turned into green space. It's unconscionable that they didn't figure out a better way to organize that area. There really should be a light where the HEB is, but it's too close to 84 to do it now.
MrGolfguy
RIP Jack in the Crack
Bear Doc
WacoKelly83 said:

They should tear down that Jack in the Box and put a free-standing Starbucks there. They would print money. I hate going to the one across the street. It is way too tight for the amount of traffic that they get.

It is funny that Jack in the Box could not survive there, but Starbucks and the Shipleys a block away does gangbusters business every day of the week.
trey3216
Bear Doc said:

WacoKelly83 said:

They should tear down that Jack in the Box and put a free-standing Starbucks there. They would print money. I hate going to the one across the street. It is way too tight for the amount of traffic that they get.

It is funny that Jack in the Box could not survive there, but Starbucks and the Shipleys a block away does gangbusters business every day of the week.
It's extremely frustrating to get into that parking lot if you're coming from the direction of Hewitt. Same thing with trying to get into Starbucks coming from Woodway. That area is just a complete trainwreck. There's at least the back way to get to Shipley's/Starbucks. You have to deal with HEB traffic trying to get anywhere over there.
br53
The problem is the police department pulls over any car that is out after dark in that area. Jack in the Box can't survive without drunks.
PartyBear
I dont know. But oddly the Burger King on Hewitt Dr closed around 2016 and the building is now a Canes. A new Burger King opened about 1000 feet away about a year ago or so. The original BK that closed had just been recently renovated in fact a year or two before it closed. This makes no real sense to me.
Old300Bear
PartyBear said:

I dont know. But oddly the Burger King on Hewitt Dr closed around 2016 and the building is now a Canes. A new Burger King opened about 1000 feet away about a year ago or so. The original BK that closed had just been recently renovated in fact a year or two before it closed. This makes no real sense to me.

I heard the Burger King building had severe roof problems/leakage and the owner was not responsive. BK moved out and part of the roof caved in I think.
Fred Barber
PartyBear
Btw everyone, I think that Jack in the Box has been there since the mid 90s maybe even since before then. So it's not like it couldn't survive there. That area is busier now than than years ago. I don't get why it's closing. Perhaps it is temporary and J in the B is undergoing a new modernization of its branding. Who knows though.
hodedofome
The day it opened I convinced my frugal dad to walk down there and buy us some apple turnovers. Good times, it was the only fast food in woodway for a little bit.
Robert Wilson
hodedofome said:

The day it opened I convinced my frugal dad to walk down there and buy us some apple turnovers. Good times, it was the only fast food in woodway for a little bit.
I remember when it opened and it was a big addition to the Woodway dining scene. Bacon ultimate cheeseburger for the win.
PartyBear
When did it open? That isn't exactly something I remember for sure.
Yogi
If they had a traffic light at that location, it would be easier to access that block, but as it is, the HEB Plus actually hinders development of business at that location because it is difficult to get there in heavy traffic.

I grew up out in that area. That HEB sits on an old pasture that was out there until about 1990. At that time, HEB came in and built its first store and Jack-in-the-Box opened across the street.

It was the first national fast food chain to open out in the Hewitt area besides the Dairy Queen at Old Temple Road and Sun Valley.

I think at that time, we might have had Bill & Bob's Burgers, Golden Fried Chicken and a pizza joint. I can't remember when Pizza Hut moved into Hewitt Center.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
br53 said:

The problem is the police department pulls over any car that is out after dark in that area. Jack in the Box can't survive without drunks.
You are correct. Several times I had gone through the drive thru and after seeing a police car I pulled over and ate in the parking lot.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Eleven-League Grant
WacoKelly83 said:

I see Mike Copeland is reporting that the old Jack in the Box location next to HEB on Hewitt Drive will become a quick-change oil place.

That seems to be a pretty bold business strategy considering that Castrol Lube Express [EDIT: Valvoline] is right across the street and the WalMart auto department is only 2 blocks away.

{Yes, I know. WalMart is not everyone's cup of tea, but I assure you they sell plenty of oil changes.}
Bear Doc
Eleven-League Grant said:

WacoKelly83 said:

I see Mike Copeland is reporting that the old Jack in the Box location next to HEB on Hewitt Drive will become a quick-change oil place.

That seems to be a pretty bold business strategy considering that Castrol Lube Express is right across the street and the WalMart auto department is only 2 blocks away.

{Yes, I know. WalMart is not everyone's cup of tea, but I assure you they sell plenty of oil changes.}

Hewitt Drive is all about fried chicken and quick lube jobs.
Pseudo3D
PartyBear said:

When did it open? That isn't exactly something I remember for sure.
Working my magic, 1991.

The Advance Auto Parts occupied a Hollywood Video, not a Blockbuster (link).
cowboycwr
So is jack in the box essentially pulling out of the Waco market?

They closed the one by campus across from the Robinson tower and now this one. That leaves what the one in Bellmead in front of walmart, and the Valley mills one by HEB, right?

Seems if they built one elsewhere on hewitt drive and one in the fast food area across from campus those would be good locations.
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

hodedofome said:

I remember when it opened and it was a big addition to the Woodway dining scene. Bacon ultimate cheeseburger for the win.
I remember that bad boy quite well..Put some rings,jalapenos and a big ass shake with it...consume it with the gusto of a hound dog..and you'd sometimes get those little contained explosions in the ole gut as it tried to "set up" on you about an hour later..Loved it!
BaylorGuy314
cowboycwr said:

They closed the one by campus across from the Robinson tower and now this one. That leaves what the one in Bellmead in front of walmart, and the Valley mills one by HEB, right?

Seems if they built one elsewhere on hewitt drive and one in the fast food area across from campus those would be good locations.

I think they'll have 3 - the one in Bellmead, one on Valley Mills by HEB, and the one on Bosque near Target.

I rarely eat JITB but it does seem odd to not have a presence in the fastest growing parts of Waco.
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

hodedofome said:

I remember that bad boy quite well..Put some rings,jalapenos and a big ass shake with it...consume it with the gusto of a hound dog..and you'd sometimes get those little contained explosions in the ole gut as it tried to "set up" on you about an hour later..Loved it!

with a tip of the hat to the late great Bro Dave Gardner
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

hodedofome said:

with a tip of the hat to the late great Bro Dave Gardner
I had hoped there were a few folks that would remember and appreciate " consume it with the gusto of a hound dog!" I tip my hat to Brother Dave almost every day!
cowboycwr
BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

I think they'll have 3 - the one in Bellmead, one on Valley Mills by HEB, and the one on Bosque near Target.

I rarely eat JITB but it does seem odd to not have a presence in the fastest growing parts of Waco.

Yes I forgot that one. But you said it. Not to have one anywhere along the 35/baylor/ marketplace area or Hewitt/woodway doesn't seem like good business smarts.
PartyBear
The one by campus across from Robinson Tower? Had that been gone for along time? I thought that was converted to an Arby's at least 20 years ago. I recall a Jack in the Box there in the 80s I recall a Hardee's I think located behind it around that time that was converted to a small bank building by the 90s. I believe the 7-11 is on that site now if I'm recalling things correctly.
BaylorGuy314
PartyBear said:

The one by campus across from Robinson Tower? Had that been gone for along time? I thought that was converted to an Arby's at least 20 years ago. I recall a Jack in the Box there in the 80s I recall a Hardee's I think located behind it around that time that was converted to a small bank building by the 90s. I believe the 7-11 is on that site now if I'm recalling things correctly.
The one by campus was torn down when the Springhill Suites was erected next door.

The Arby's is now a bank.

cowboycwr
I don't remember an Arby's by the one across from the Robinson tower. There was a bank there but I believe that building was torn down to build the 7/11 and a new bank (Extraco) was built a little further down.

The old hotel next to the Jack in the Box was torn down and I guess the new one bought the JITB property and it is now part of the parking lot for the Springhill Suites there.
Bexar Pitts
Does anyone remember where/when the first JITB was in Waco? Was it the Bosque location? I remember going to an Oak Cliff location on Zang exit off 35 way before Waco had one..That was early 70's..I thought I was really cool having a Bonus Jack w/cheese! What a knucklehead..
PartyBear
Off the subject Bexar Pitts, wasnt there a Bob's Big Boy there as well?
whitetrash
Bexar Pitts said:

Does anyone remember where/when the first JITB was in Waco? Was it the Bosque location? I remember going to an Oak Cliff location on Zang exit off 35 way before Waco had one..That was early 70's..I thought I was really cool having a Bonus Jack w/cheese! What a knucklehead..
JITB on Bosque opened in late 1978 or early 1979, not long after I got my DL.

Whataburger came to town in about 1969 or 1970; McDonald's in early 1972, Burger King in early 1975, Wendy's in late 1977.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.