Vaccination Sign-Up Today...1/17

6,531 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TenBears
Bear Doc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bubear20 said:

For anyone who is thinking of getting this vaccine, I got it. MY background I'm 23 and had a heart surgery when I was 3 putting me in the "high risk" category. I have had covid already but was already on the list by the time I got it. The following morning I had a fever of 103 and my left arm (injection arm) couldn't move. I would suggest avoiding the vaccine if you're not over the age of 65 or have severe underlying health conditions. I was also told to prepare because the second shots side effects are worse than the first.

Could not disagree with this post any more. Yes some people will have those types of reactions (called a healthy immune response), but after giving out literally hundreds of these vaccines, I would say these type of side effects are VERY atypical. Your mileage may vary but most people just have a sore arm, but if you are at risk in 1B category, there should be NO hesitation to get this potentially life saving vaccine.

I have watched too many of my patients die alone on ventilators to let this misinformation stand.
Big12Bear
RIP Hank Aaron.

He just died shortly after getting the 2nd shot. Big vaccine advocate. The recent footage I saw, he seemed to be in very good health.
Nguyen One Soon
Got my first one about 24 hours ago. Only side effect was a little soreness in my arm the first time I laid on it last night. Btw, I'm over three times as old as BUBear.
Mr Tulip
My own son is 14. He's had 3 open heart surgeries as a planned means to correct a congenital heart formation (hypoplastic right heart/tricuspid atresia if you're reading along at home). I'll be 50 on my next birthday, and am stubbornly healthy. My wife will also be 50, has high BP, etc.

I say this because we both will wait until our group comes up in line (and I want to be first in that line when it does), but I'm not holding my breath for a conclusive study relating to my son. They don't like testing kids anyway, and certainly not single ventricle heart patients.

I understand how the vaccine does what it does, and can't think of any reason why it should be a problem or how a single ventricle would cause problems (on the other hand, I can understand exactly how myocarditis would have immediately life threatening problems for him), but I'm still skeptical that they'll approve it.
Bear Doc
Mr Tulip said:

My own son is 14. He's had 3 open heart surgeries as a planned means to correct a congenital heart formation (hypoplastic right heart/tricuspid atresia if you're reading along at home). I'll be 50 on my next birthday, and am stubbornly healthy. My wife will also be 50, has high BP, etc.

I say this because we both will wait until our group comes up in line (and I want to be first in that line when it does), but I'm not holding my breath for a conclusive study relating to my son. They don't like testing kids anyway, and certainly not single ventricle heart patients.

I understand how the vaccine does what it does, and can't think of any reason why it should be a problem or how a single ventricle would cause problems (on the other hand, I can understand exactly how myocarditis would have immediately life threatening problems for him), but I'm still skeptical that they'll approve it.
Pfizer has an ongoing study for 12-16 year olds that they hope will have results by the summer. For most 12-16 year olds, would probably not be worth it, but if your son was my son, I would strongly consider it if the outcomes are good.
Mr Tulip
Bear Doc said:

Mr Tulip said:

Pfizer has an ongoing study for 12-16 year olds that they hope will have results by the summer. For most 12-16 year olds, would probably not be worth it, but if your son was my son, I would strongly consider it if the outcomes are good.
That's fantastic news! Thanks!

He's extremely robust. There were a variety of outcomes with this malformation, but he's currently very much the best case. That said, there's obviously some things that would affect him more than the general population.

His O2Sat is usually around 90 anyway. Anything with a potential to compromise pulmonary function or cardiac function we pay special attention to, COVID seems like it can specifically target both. I've got to conclude that any risk from understudy is greatly outweighed by the known action of the virus.
Fat Daddy
Got mine (Moderna) yesterday at the McLennan County site. I am right handed, so got it in right arm. Very little soreness and no side effects yet!
VaeBear
I got the 1st shot of Moderna last Friday. I had a mild headache that would come and go for a couple of days. I woke up Saturday with my shoulder killing me. Felt like I had been punched in the arm really good. That completely went away by Monday. I work for a hospital in Houston and I'm in the "hey we still have some vaccinations left, anybody want one?" phase.
bubear20
Thats pretty bold to call someones experience misinformation. I didn't say don't ever get the vaccine but I do believe if you can wait to get it there are some serious things that need to be worked out. I also now have a welt at the injection site. Im not saying what you do isn't tough but we all have different views on this and you could at least be respectful.
Bear Doc
bubear20 said:

Thats pretty bold to call someones experience misinformation. I didn't say don't ever get the vaccine but I do believe if you can wait to get it there are some serious things that need to be worked out. I also now have a welt at the injection site. Im not saying what you do isn't tough but we all have different views on this and you could at least be respectful.
I was not calling your experience misinformation, but your recommendation for vulnerable populations not to get the vaccine was certainly misinformation. And no, there are no "serious things that need to be worked out". There were clinical trials of tens of thousands of patients that showed a very favorable safety profile.

I also called your experience very atypical for the now approaching 1000 vaccines that I have supervised.

I have to fight conspiracy theories, internet google doctors and general non-compliance every day. I think it is important for people to know what it typical vs. something that is rare that may scare people away from getting a life-saving vaccine.
bubear20
If you read the original post I do recommend to people who are older or "high risk" to get it. Not only recommend but strongly encourage. If you're not in a group that has issues I would wait.

I'm glad you're group has not had negative reactions. I've talked to several people including the person giving me mine and a local nurse who said they had adverse reactions, atypical to a norma vaccination.

Also may I recommend don't fight the fake doctors and conspiracy theorist. They tend to be thick and a waste of time. Instead just put out the truth you've seen in your clinic.
lrwells50
I had zero side effects from the first shot. About 24 hours after the 2nd one I had mild chills, and my arm hurt if I pressed on it. Not as bad as a reaction from a pneumonia shot a few years ago. A friend had a metallic taste in her mouth right after getting the shot, chills and felt bad for a day.

I think there are a myriad of reactions, but I don't know of any personally that were bad enough to avoid the vaccine.
BBear77
Okay, I just received my Covid 19 vaccination. Process was very smooth unlike the earlier issues. Once I received an appointment, arrived at the appropriate time and receive the injection, all went smoothly.

Good to get this step done so it is not a lingering thought of when and where.
Bexar Pitts
BBear77 said:

Okay, I just received my Covid 19 vaccination. Process was very smooth unlike the earlier issues. Once I received an appointment, arrived at the appropriate time and receive the injection, all went smoothly.

I also got my first shot Thurs, at the McLennan County Drive Thru Clinic at McLane Stadium..Went very smoothly ,and so thankful to have received it. Other than a slightly sore arm, no side effects.
BBear77
Bexar Pitts said:

BBear77 said:

I also got my first shot Thurs, at the McLennan County Drive Thru Clinic at McLane Stadium..Went very smoothly ,and so thankful to have received it. Other than a slightly sore arm, no side effects.
SSadler
Got mine Tuesday morning. Yesterday I think I noticed a bit of soreness, but none today.
beardoc
got my second shot Thursday (Moderna). My arm was a little more sore than the first time, and sore sooner as well. I had some fatigue the next day but otherwise had no ill effects.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Sorry to hear Mclennan county is having so much trouble. I and everyone I work with got our 2nd round last week. I am 60 and experienced a little soreness in my arm. Two women. 57 amd 66 stayed home the next day saying they were sore and a little dizzy. They were fine the next day,
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
John Galt
bubear20 said:

For anyone who is thinking of getting this vaccine, I got it. MY background I'm 23 and had a heart surgery when I was 3 putting me in the "high risk" category. I have had covid already but was already on the list by the time I got it. The following morning I had a fever of 103 and my left arm (injection arm) couldn't move. I would suggest avoiding the vaccine if you're not over the age of 65 or have severe underlying health conditions. I was also told to prepare because the second shots side effects are worse than the first.
thank you for reporting these very important facts - seriously. there is risk to the vaccine as well.
John Galt
bubear20 said:

it is unreal and pathetic that one's personal experience was called "misinformation" - but thus is the vaccine defense mechanism.

we literally cannot know the long term effects - there simply has not been enough time to know. anyone who states they know is full of it - we literally cannot know.

and yes...there have been short term effects as well...including deaths. thank you for sharing your real experience.
PartyBear
To the poster who had a bad reaction. I don't recall the name right now. I'm sorry you experienced that. I am in my mid 50s and I am relatively healthy. I will get the vaccine as soon as I am eligible I don't care if I feel sick the next for a few hours or a day. I view that as a small price to pay to avoid getting it or getting a serious case of it. Additionally if I'm reacting to the shot I'm also viewing that as my body getting in shape to kick its ass in the future if I encounter it in the future.
tcbear
I am 52 and I received my first vaccination shot (Moderna) two weeks ago and had only a little soreness in my arm. I hope to have more of a reaction to my second shot because I am reading more and more that a significant reaction often means your body is reacting to the shot and is creating immunity/antibodies. I have read that there is more concern if you don't have any reaction to the shots because your body may not be responding to the vaccine.

My wife has had both her shots and she had little reaction to the first but was moderately affected for a day after her second shot.
PartyBear
I assume you folks getting it who are in your 50s have other issues or are the guidelines not being all that enforced by some localities?
tcbear
I qualify as 1B but anyone can get a Pfizer shot at Pfizer locations at the end of their clinic day so the extra doses do not just get thrown away.
254alum
tcbear said:

I qualify as 1B but anyone can get a Pfizer shot at Pfizer locations at the end of their clinic day so the extra doses do not just get thrown away.

Where the Pfizer locations in Waco? Do you just show up? Call?
John Galt
unlike the new MRNA technology, the J&J vaccine uses the fetal cell lines...if anyone cares about that sort of thing...and is deciding if one particular vaccine is the one the one they want to take
bubear20
I will add after taking the second shot I immediately started taking 600-800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. After my second shot I did not have any side effects. I don't know if it was the Motrin or my body being used to the shot but it was a lot better experience the second round!
VaeBear
The side effects seem to vary from person to person. I took the Moderna and had a headache and achiness in my eyes each time. The first shot my symptoms were mild and after the second shot it was worse. My parents both had the Pfizer vaccine and had no symptoms either time. My sister's mother in law felt horrible after the second dose of Pfizer.
Bexar Pitts
VaeBear said:

The side effects seem to vary from person to person. I took the Moderna and had a headache and achiness in my eyes each time. The first shot my symptoms were mild and after the second shot it was worse. My parents both had the Pfizer vaccine and had no symptoms either time. My sister's mother in law felt horrible after the second dose of Pfizer.
Got my second Moderna shot Thursday at McLane...Sore arm with first shot, this time had sore arm but also mild headache and some fatigue on Friday..both gone today.. Feel great and ready for a "road trip" in a few weeks! Edit: BTW. I'm 70+
TechDawgMc
If you're having trouble getting the shot and want one, Coryell county seems to be giving to anyone who makes an appointment. They seem to open new appointments every few days
PartyBear
It isnt letting me register for Waco Covid but I also do not meet the criteria hence I'm not checking any box. Serious question are alot of people just checking a box then at the site no one questions your qualification, you just get the shot? In other words is it completely honor system. Anyway I thought it might let me get on a wait list for when it is opened up to everyone.
PartyBear
Update:

The criteria expands to 50 and older on March 15th in Texas.
TenBears
Number 1 for me today. Arm's a bit sore but not sure if it's the shot or my Chris Hemsworth-like workout routine.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.