Grocery competition for HEB

26,930 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

73s de N4WJP said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Went to Wooded Acres at 8AM...fairly well stocked with exception of bread...I'm sure they got cleaned out yesterday, but will probably restock as soon as they are able. Not overly crowded, but busy..Very pleased to find most everything I went for..Love the store and their great employees.
It's 10:50, and I just came from there. That was my experience too. I'm guessing closing early yesterday, then waiting until 9 to open made a big difference. It was busier than usual, but except for bread the shelves were pretty well stocked. Lots of check out registers open with a couple of extra "15 items or less" registers. My guess is by Tuesday all should be back to normal.
I think so too. Carts were nice..I had lots of stuff to get. BTW, they did open at 8..Google showed 9, but I called late yesterday and a helpful young lady told me 8..
They actually officially opened at 9 but we're letting people in around 8 to relieve the pressure of having too many lined up to get in all at once. Pretty commonplace for them actually
I was very appreciative of getting inside. Line at 8 stretched around the side of the building.
historian
Leander HEB gave food for free when power went out. You can choose which source you want:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/19/texas-heb-lost-power/

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/texas-grocery-store-loses-power-lets-customers-leave-without-paying/MC4UE6BSWVGBZALJGFAEN4BBJU/

https://www.austin360.com/story/lifestyle/food/2021/02/19/h-e-b-gave-away-free-groceries-after-store-lost-power-in-texas/4498735001/

https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/texas-grocery-store-loses-power-lets-customers-leave-without-paying/MC4UE6BSWVGBZALJGFAEN4BBJU/
trey3216
historian said:

Leander HEB gave food for free when power went out. You can choose which source you want:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/19/texas-heb-lost-power/

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/texas-grocery-store-loses-power-lets-customers-leave-without-paying/MC4UE6BSWVGBZALJGFAEN4BBJU/

https://www.austin360.com/story/lifestyle/food/2021/02/19/h-e-b-gave-away-free-groceries-after-store-lost-power-in-texas/4498735001/

https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/texas-grocery-store-loses-power-lets-customers-leave-without-paying/MC4UE6BSWVGBZALJGFAEN4BBJU/

Greedy *******s
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
canoso
joseywales said:

Used to be the best but greed has taken over
UPBaylor
joseywales said:

Used to be the best but greed has taken over
I'm curious as to what you mean by this?

All businesses have to make a profit or else they fail. They aren't a charity.

Businesses that succeed also deliver what their customers desire. My only recent experience with HEB is Central Market in Dallas where I do about 98% of my regular grocery shopping. It sure appears they are delivering for their customers and at a price point that isn't driving them away. I find most of their prices to be better than Tom Thumb and the quality and selection is far better.

For me, I'll pay up for quality, although I don't think I am at CM. If so, it's very marginal and well worth it.

As to those wishing for a Trader Joe's, you can have ours IMO. I have yet to find a product there that I prefer over other local choices. I was expecting a lot better after hearing their praises sung by my California transplant friends. I don't see the appeal.
EnglishBear
The only private/regional grocer I've found that compares with HEB is Wegmans, which started in upstate New York and is now 100+ stores down into Virginia and NC. Very similar story--family owned and run, tremendous to their employees, etc.
CorsicanaBear
How about Brookshire's (as opposed to Brookshire Brothers which is a company with a related heritage, the two split in 1939)? It's a family owned, Tyler based, east Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana chain with +/- 150 stores, 14,000 employees and annual sales in the $3 billion range. For comparison HEB sales are around $32 Billion.

Brookshire's has a store in Robinson while Lorena boasts a Brookshire Brothers. It would seem like Waco would be a place Brookshire's could and would compete with HEB.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

How about Brookshire's (as opposed to Brookshire Brothers which is a company with a related heritage, the two split in 1939)? It's a family owned, Tyler based, east Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana chain with +/- 150 stores, 14,000 employees and annual sales in the $3 billion range. For comparison HEB sales are around $32 Billion.

Brookshire's has a store in Robinson while Lorena boasts a Brookshire Brothers. It would seem like Waco would be a place Brookshire's could and would compete with HEB.
If they could get their pricing model compared to HEB, which they can't.
CorsicanaBear
When I was in Corsicana I avoided HEB like the plague and shopped at the Brookshires. Same selections of brands, didn't notice any major pricing differences. Brookshires meat counter was not good so I bought meat from a local market and/or went to Central Market in Dallas. I should note that this comparison was to the Corsicana HEB which was, quality wise, about like the Bellmead HEB but smaller.
Weston Rogers
CorsicanaBear said:

Lorena and Robinson are far enough away to keep HEB from killing them... Neither would fair well competing head to head with HEB and that's a big reason why neither has built or will build in 76708 area of Waco while HEB holds the land at 19th and Lakeshore.
CorsicanaBear
Brookshire Brothers would never open a store in Waco, I'm surprised they are in Lorena. Purely a small town grocer. Brookshire's has Dallas/FW area stores, I don't know how they are faring in that market, but given their HQ is Tyler, it would seem they would want to compete here.
Weston Rogers
CorsicanaBear said:

Brookshire Brothers would never open a store in Waco, I'm surprised they are in Lorena. Purely a small town grocer. Brookshire's has Dallas/FW area stores, I don't know how they are faring in that market, but given their HQ is Tyler, it would seem they would want to compete here.

Correct on BB, but they're in Lorena, McGregor, Valley Mills, and Moody in the extended Waco area and would likely be interested in China Spring area if the threat of HEB encroaching wasn't there.

Brookshire's is strategically placed in what I would call DFW adjacent location's; the only new store I know of that they've invested in that directly competes with HEB is in Aledo and that's also a brand new HEB in middle to high income with significant growth area of west Fort Worth. Outside of that Corsicana is just about the only town to have both and HEB hasn't exactly invested heavily in their store there in years(basically same store as 19th/Park Lake in Waco).

As much as I would like to see competition, reality is it will take a Kroger or Albertson's to bring the competition to HEB and I would see that taking place in Austin/Williamson County before Waco.
hodedofome
Amazon does 2 hour delivery in Houston for groceries, for free as part of your prime subscription. They can do frozen and produce as well, anybody can put a freezer in a warehouse.

They will deliver cheaper than anyone else can, and have a bunch of other businesses with high margin that pure grocers don't have (diversification). They don't have the debt from old buildings in high cost retail areas dragging down their returns. Amazon is built for delivery, traditional grocers are built for retail shoppers physically there. It's two different worlds and we all know where the world is headed. Hint: the world is going digital, and we aren't going to be shopping in stores very much.
historian
Sounds like the world is getting closer to Big Brother & the Beast every day. We already know how fascist amazon, google, twitter, FB, & the rest of Big Tech can be.
Michibear
This thread on grocery competition has taken an interesting turn.

vg1984
I would say that Walmart's pharmacy in Hewitt is excellent. Way better than HEB Woodway, we recently switched just because it is so busy and Walmart is not busy at all. You also have aldis as another grocery option
Yogi
CorsicanaBear said:

Brookshire Brothers has quite a few Central Texas locations:

Lorena
Salado
McGregor
Moody
Rosebud
Valley Mills
Whitney
Hubbard

Other than Salado, the Lorena/ Spring Valley area may be the most populated in that group.

I could see HEB one day placing a store near Hewitt Drive and Interstate 35. That whole area is building up both residentially and commercially.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
hodedofome
historian said:

Sounds like the world is getting closer to Big Brother & the Beast every day. We already know how fascist amazon, google, twitter, FB, & the rest of Big Tech can be.

Possibly, but I think the world is getting closer to Wall-E for now.
historian
IIRC, that is not so different.
PartyBear
If people are like me, 90% of the time I go to HEB it is because I want to go right then and get stuff. I don't see how Amazon will ever beat the time it takes me to run to HEB (a mile away) shop and get home. I don't see Amazon doing away with HEB and other grocers anymore than the creation of the internet got rid of them and a whole lot of other brick and mortar businesses.
Pseudo3D
CorsicanaBear said:

Surprisingly, Brookshire Bros. is building a 40,000 square foot store in College Station (on leased university property), which is maybe half the size of the H-E-B stores (there are five in B/CS, with two Kroger).

Yeah, I know, College Station and all that, but the idea that they would "never" open a store in a major H-E-B dominated area is about to change.
historian
B/CS also has 3 Super Walmarts. Lots of grocery store options there. Including an Aldi in Bryan.
trey3216
It's official...H-E-B breaking ground on two stores in North Dallas this summer. Begun, the grocery wars have.
Wrecks Quan Dough
trey3216 said:

It's official...H-E-B breaking ground on two stores in North Dallas this summer. Begun, the grocery wars have.
No, they are over now. HEB mops up. Hill Country Fair; party time.
BearlyHeardFrom
trey3216 said:

#LetsGoBrandon
Wrecks Quan Dough
Kroger is finished. Thomas Thumb is deeply concerned about this development.
trey3216
BearlyHeardFrom said:

trey3216 said:

Plano & Frisco
BylrFan
Surprised they're not opening a central market in those areas.
trey3216
BylrFan said:

Surprised they're not opening a central market in those areas.
They already have a Central Market close to those areas.
chorne68
I have lived all over the country and believe me...there is nothing better than HEB.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I have been to several Carrefour stores that are better than HEBS but I think HEBS are by far the best in Texas.
Eleven-League Grant

CorsicanaB said:

Surprisingly, Brookshire Bros. is building a 40,000 square foot store in College Station (on leased university property), which is maybe half the size of the H-E-B stores (there are five in B/CS, with two Kroger).

I was somewhat surprised that Brookshire Brothers was going to 'push the envelope' with their BCS store. It's got a few things you don't normally see in a grocery store. [Apologies for the logo -- it's in the image]

https://www.brookshirebrothers.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/UniqueFeatures_Logos.jpg

Brookshire Brothers BCS Store

It's got to be brutal competing with HEB and Walmart. They've got balls. Good for them.
Yogi
Amazon is the monopolistic Brawndo that will lead us to Mike Judge's Idiocracy.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bexar Pitts
Yogi said:

Amazon is the monopolistic Brawndo that will lead us to Mike Judge's Idiocracy.
Of course!....Amazon has electrolytes!
Moondoggie
H.E. Butt's(it's just more fun to say) WAS the cheap Waco store. I remember them having generic beer that was simply a white can with "BEER" written on it in black, block letters. Now that Skaggs and others have left, H.E.Butts has become an over-priced buffoon of a store that I can't for the life of me know why so many of you people idolize. It's expensive but not THAT great. Get over HEB, my fellow bears. Quit giving the Butt family rent-free space in your heads(and wallets).

Geesh!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.