SlowRise on The Brazos

20,770 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
southtexasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wacotrib.com/business/local/slow-rise-on-the-brazos-pizza-planned-for-former-steakhouse-mannys-site/article_c35203ac-f188-11eb-bb73-ef9f7494d5fd.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_&fbclid=IwAR0fYuL4Xf0aOGikDYdmBTHUDciqJ6EkeMih4_NK0ceI_IFfQF8g6YvdxsQ

Now I'm excited for this!!

On the Brazos. Taking over the vacant building on MLK that used to be Manny's and before that Miller Family Lake Brazos Steakhouse.

" He plans live music, family games, docking space for water craft, including kayaks, weekend brunches and seating for 150 to 200."

" Slow Rise Slice House in Woodway enjoys crowds totaling 2,000 to 4,000 weekly, said Swartz, who believes his riverside location could match that."

Coke Bear
I wish them best of luck. Studies show that restaurants fair much better when clustered together.
Edmond Bear

Looking forward to this. But agree that it is kinda outta sight, outta mind.
T-REX
Agreed with above. I always liked miller's but my family rarely went because we never thought about it as it's out of the way
CTbruin
Times have changed. There is more going on downtown and along the River than ever.

Maybe it will work.

Slow Rise initial location is out of the way also.
Fat Daddy
Maybe they will get Baked Bliss to have a portion for the earlier morning groups! Baked Bliss could use more space and would give Slow Rise more "hours" and activity!
T-REX
CTbruin said:

Times have changed. There is more going on downtown and along the River than ever.

Maybe it will work.

never been as I don't live in Waco so when I'm in town I don't go to Woodway. Heard good things about it. But is it out if the way for Woodway area folks?
CTbruin
Difficult ingress/egress. Shares space with Common Grounds
baylrballa
T-REX said:

CTbruin said:

Maybe it will work.

never been as I don't live in Waco so when I'm in town I don't go to Woodway. Heard good things about it. But is it out if the way for Woodway area folks?

It's a great location that has been begging for something like this for awhile. Several restaurants have been opening up last couple years. 2nd location for union hall planning to move in close by.

Problem is they are waaay busier than they expected it feels. Parking lot could be twice as big. Bar could probably 2-3x bigger.

As for this new location. I hope it works out but it likely won't.
73s de N4WJP
I sure hope they have more competint managment than Manny's. They sure won't have worse, but that's an easy target.

One note on the location.......it's only 5 minutes or so from the new development taking place along Elm. Revival sure isn't having trouble drawing a consistent crowd.
CorsicanaBear
We live in north Waco now and will be there just about every weekend. Just like we did at the one on 84 when we lived near there. It will be the closest thing for people living in China Spring. Not out of the way for them at all, closer in fact, than just about anywhere else. Lots of young families with kids, a target audience for Slorise.

Manny's was a complete cluster. Bad service and inconsistency in the execution of the concept. The menu items as designed were higher end but the execution was a complete disaster. Higher end Mexican with the location on the river and the great bar/dock should have been a success.

With regard to restaurant clusters, somebody has to go first.
PartyBear
The one in Woodway is not in a cluster really.
Coke Bear
PartyBear said:

The one in Woodway is not in a cluster really.
Yes, but I would guess that the median (and disposable) income in the Woodway are more than double the area along Lake Brazos Parkway - MLK.
73s de N4WJP
I don't think the Brazos Parkway-MLK corridor would be supplying the customer base. If you go to lunch or dinner, even on "slower" days, you'll see Revival on Elm drawing customers from all over Waco. I would think that if Slow Rise has competint managment (where Manny's failed) and an appealing menu, they should draw from the same customer pool. If you've not visited that side of the Brazos in the last six months, things are changing for the better and fast.
WacoKelly83
Another thing to consider. Hawaiian Falls and the Mammoth site are huge tourist draws during the summer months. And the new restaurant is halfway between the hotels along I35 and those attractions. Of course that's primarily summer business
CorsicanaBear
Yes, the immediate area around the MLK location will not be generating customers. Customers will come from the campus area, downtown and China Spring (largely CS). That restaurant will be closer to CS than any non-fast food restaurant except John Lilleys Steakhouse (19th and Lakeshore).
PartyBear
I would think it would be a good game day spot in the Fall. The pizza is very good btw.
Yogi
I miss the original Catfish Hut that burned at that location. 2 stories overlooking the Brazos. As a child, I got to attend the "soft opening" before they opened to the public. I really miss that place.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorGuy314
I love Slow Rise but think this is a risky proposition. The Woodway area has a ton of rooftops really, really close by and was starving for something unique.

Whatever goes into the MLK location has to really be a destination type of place. The owners of Slow Rise know how to create atmosphere so they might just make it work but that location is a tough, tough sell. I see it as a far less risky location once the east side of the river continues to develop with more living, retail, and restaurants. While that's happening now, it'll be a bit before it's a natural fit imo.

Good luck to them though. I do love Slow Rise!
Ludwig von Missi
Excited for this, but I share the concerns of others about this project's viability. It's such a cool location/setup, but almost everyone has to go out of their way to get there.

I'll also echo some of the comments about Manny's. The food was average and the service was among the worst I've ever had at any restaurant. And humorously, they always seemed to be rushing us out like they hated money . . . bringing us our ticket unprompted while we were planning on having a leisurely happy hour/dinner out on the deck.
Robert Wilson
This will be fun. My crew will hit it frequently.
;
Problem with Manny's was the service was awful.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
My neighbors and I are all super excited to have a place we can get to and dock on the water again.
joseywales
We went to slow rise twice, pizza first time wings second. The food was bland and the ingredients were cheap. The pizza was tasteless literally. So many better options in Waco. Hell Marcos is better much less baris, papa Rollo's, shorty's and the very best rosati's.
baylrballa
joseywales said:

We went to slow rise twice, pizza first time wings second. The food was bland and the ingredients were cheap. The pizza was tasteless literally. So many better options in Waco. Hell Marcos is better much less baris, papa Rollo's, shorty's and the very best rosati's.
now that's a hot take.
Robert Wilson
joseywales said:

Literally?
trey3216
joseywales said:

We'll mark this in the "joseywales takes that no one gives a **** about" vault.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
southtexasbear
I think I am most looking forward to is having a decent restaurant actually on the Brazos. Dock a boat, Sunset, Paddleboard, Kayak...(Not that I will do either of the last 2)...drink a beer on the water.

Liteitup
I went to Slow Rise to see a friend's band. I lasted ten minutes, too many snot nosed rug rats running around.
I get it, I'm not the target demographic. I still hope it's successful.
jbbear
trey3216 said:

joseywales said:

We'll mark this in the "joseywales takes that no one gives a **** about" vault.
Is there any other vault for him?
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

drink a beer on the water.
Woodway location has many good beers on tap (locals well represented) so I presume this will be the same.
T-REX
southtexasbear said:

I think I am most looking forward to is having a decent restaurant actually on the Brazos. Dock a boat, Sunset, Paddleboard, Kayak...(Not that I will do either of the last 2)...drink a beer on the water.

I just don't see someone paddleboarding that far down the river and then going back after eating.
southtexasbear
T-REX said:

southtexasbear said:

I just don't see someone paddleboarding that far down the river and then going back after eating.

I was thinking they may offer that from their location. Offer water activities since they have a dock
CorsicanaBear
Selling beer and offering water activities does not sound like a risk profile they might want. One or the other are enough.
CammoTX
CorsicanaBear said:

Selling beer and offering water activities does not sound like a risk profile they might want. One or the other are enough.

?

- people living in Galveston, Corpus and S Padre
southtexasbear
CorsicanaBear said:

Or sub it out.let Waco Paddle set up shop sometimes
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.