Downtown Waco

13,233 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by forza orsi
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was downtown this morning. Almost every other street is torn up. Difficult to get around. Lots of new buildings going up. The space where the new arena will go sure does seem small to me. Sorry, no chance for photos.
Fred Barber
CTbruin
I drove thru the proposed arena spot. There is more room than you think. However, parking will be mostly "offsite". How far, I don't know?
jason_cook
new parking close to the arena is part of the plans, if that is the site ultimately selected.
Showtime
Old300Bear said:

Was downtown this morning. Almost every other street is torn up. Difficult to get around. Lots of new buildings going up. The space where the new arena will go sure does seem small to me. Sorry, no chance for photos.
Yes, I work downtown and it's been a disaster for months. They're redoing Washington now which will have stuff torn up for a while. Hopefully the end result is better streets throughout. Prior to the work a lot of the downtown streets were bumpier than dirt roads.
jbbear
Showtime said:

Old300Bear said:

Yes, I work downtown and it's been a disaster for months. They're redoing Washington now which will have stuff torn up for a while. Hopefully the end result is better streets throughout. Prior to the work a lot of the downtown streets were bumpier than dirt roads.
I'm shocked. Waco streets are usually in such great shape, especially around campus.

/s x 1000
Edmond Bear

Don't know if it is related but Waco recently completed a 4 block walkway along 6th street to connect Magnolia with Downtown. And, they also created a new plaza on 7th.

https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/7th-street-pedestrian-plaza-opens-as-summer-of-downtown-kicks-off
CammoTX
jbbear said:

Showtime said:

Old300Bear said:

I'm shocked. Waco streets are usually in such great shape, especially around campus.

/s x 1000

Houston says hold my beer. Even roads in River Oaks are a disaster
Sampi82
These overhead photos gives it some perspective. The proposed site is wider than it is deep in comparison to the Ferrel Center site.

“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Boernebear
Sampi82 said:

These overhead photos gives it some perspective. The proposed site is wider than it is deep in comparison to the Ferrel Center site.

FYI, the pavilion site is not that entire parcel. It would sit on about 1/3 of that site closest to Clifton Robinson Tower with a parking garage immediately to the left of it. The rest of the site is in development with apartments, commercial space, a planned hotel along the river and that grove of trees closer to the river will be the farmer's market eventually.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Boernebear said:

Sampi82 said:

FYI, the pavilion site is not that entire parcel. It would sit on about 1/3 of that site closest to Clifton Robinson Tower with a parking garage immediately to the left of it. The rest of the site is in development with apartments, commercial space, a planned hotel along the river and that grove of trees closer to the river will be the farmer's market eventually.
Parking garage being built down there just past the site?
CTbruin
I think so. Yes
Sampi82
Boernebear said:

Sampi82 said:

Understood, but the footprint of the new tiny arena itself should not be greater than the Ferrell Center footprint. That was the focus I intended with my post.
Boernebear
Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Sampi82 said:

There will be a new parking garage constructed for the pavilion adjacent to it. I haven't been over there in a few months, but if you're referring to one there now, that's for the apartments and not related.
Boernebear
Sampi82 said:

Boernebear said:

Sampi82 said:

Understood, but the footprint of the new tiny arena itself should not be greater than the Ferrell Center footprint. That was the focus I intended with my post.

Makes sense - the new pavilion will include practice courts for men's and women's, a private club, outdoor space along the river, etc so even though seating capacity is less, it's probably not too much different from a total footprint and likely larger when you include the parking garage, entry plaza and riverfront area.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Boernebear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Sampi82 said:

There will be a new parking garage constructed for the pavilion adjacent to it. I haven't been over there in a few months, but if you're referring to one there now, that's for the apartments and not related.

Just noticed it yesterday.

Hotel next to us is coming along as well.
No Longer Gold
The arena downtown will be an utter fail. This is such a dumb decision. It should be with the other sports venues.
BUbearinARK
Swart Dra said:

The arena downtown will be an utter fail. This is such a dumb decision.
Please explain. Are you advocating a ferrell location or no new arena?
Boernebear
Swart Dra said:

The arena downtown will be an utter fail. This is such a dumb decision.

Edmond Bear
Showtime said:

Old300Bear said:

Waco Trib this morning said that Washington is going to become a two-way street.

"Converting Washington Avenue to a two-way street from Fifth Street to 18th Street also has captured Waco's attention to the tune of $3.9 million. That price will cover street milling and overlay, signs, signals, striping and corner ramps that are Americans with Disabilities Act compliant.

That work, now visible at nearly every intersection along Washington Avenue downtown, has a projected January completion date.". Waco Trib

Ludwig von Missi
Swart Dra said:

The arena downtown will be an utter fail. This is such a dumb decision. It should be with the other sports venues.
Not your problem anymore, Kim. You just worry about LSU.
UrsinusInfction
Boernebear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Sampi82 said:

I do think that those parking garages will have some public spaces. Not sure how many, but I believe that was one of the requirements to get TIF funds.
trey3216
Swart Dra said:

It will be a massive success, and you'll like it.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bear Doc
trey3216 said:

Swart Dra said:

Didn't we determine that the "downtown arena" will be closer to McLane (an "other sports venue") than it is to the Ferrell Center? I seem to recall some aerial maps that proved this quite easily...
trey3216
Bear Doc said:

trey3216 said:

Swart Dra said:

Didn't we determine that the "downtown arena" will be closer to McLane (an "other sports venue") than it is to the Ferrell Center? I seem to recall some aerial maps that proved this quite easily...
It's closer to Pat Neff than the Ferrell Center as well. Such an overblown, selfish, craptastic take from the anti-'downtown' crowd.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Sampi82
trey3216 said:

Bear Doc said:

trey3216 said:

Swart Dra said:

It's closer to Pat Neff than the Ferrell Center as well. Such an overblown, selfish, craptastic take from the anti-'downtown' crowd.

The succinct description - #clueless.
No Longer Gold
Distance has nothing to do with it.

"Sports corridor" is what needs to be created.

35 kills that.

FCS was closer to pat neff than it was to Ferrell
BUbearinARK
Swart Dra said:

35 kills that.
Yeah, we should really put it in a less accessible and visible location. That's real estate 101, right?
No Longer Gold
BUbearinARK said:

Swart Dra said:

35 kills that.
Yeah, we should really put it in a less accessible and visible location. That's real estate 101, right?

Edmond Bear
Swart Dra said:

35 kills that.

FCS was closer to pat neff than it was to Ferrell

Cause the Ferrell location really brought out all the students!! That worked so great, let's repeat that mistake again!!!
baylrballa
I still can't believe people argue with a straight face that the Ferrell center parking lot is a better location.
No Longer Gold
baylrballa said:

I still can't believe people argue with a straight face that the Ferrell center parking lot is a better location.

100 times better.

The spot in the other side of the track facility it 1000 times better.

Downtown sucks.

It's not even close enough to discuss.

Just another example of those that can, do, and those that can't, work at a university.
Showtime
Swart Dra said:

baylrballa said:

100 times better.

The spot in the other side of the track facility it 1000 times better.

Downtown sucks.

It's not even close enough to discuss.

This has to be a bit. Or you haven't been to Waco in a long time. Downtown is 100x better than it's ever been and getting better.
No Longer Gold
Absolutely.

But that's Waco, not Baylor.

Big time schools have all their stuff on campus.

Better promotes the size and status of the self sustaining university.
BUbearinARK
Swart Dra said:

Absolutely.

3 edits Kim? Really?
baylrballa
Swart Dra said:

Absolutely.

nah, you've got to be trolling now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.