Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

BREAKING: Baylor Lands Kilgore College Guard Dantwan Grimes

April 25, 2022

Baylor's 2022-2023 basketball roster rounded out on Monday evening when Dantwan Grimes, an athletic 6-foot-2, 190-pound combo guard from Kilgore Junior College gave his commitment to Scott Drew. 

Grimes averaged 14 points per game while shooting 36% from three and 81% from the foul line last season.  He has three years of eligibility remaining. 

Baylor was looking for a guard after the decommitment of Dillon Hunter and Grimes fit the bill of what the Bears were searching for.  He’s been described by other coaches as a junkyard dog, a hard working, defensive minded, physical guard that loves to compete and win.  The combo guard, originally from Florida, can score and facilitate.  He averaged 4 rebounds and 3 assists per game in addition to his scoring  

He fits the DNA of what Baylor likes with a strong dose ofathleticism but also a desire to work hard and improve every day.  He welcomes the challenge of going against top competition every day in practice because he knows it will prepare him when his time comes.  

Grimes had offers from Oklahoma State, North Texas, Wichita State, St. Bonaventure, Tulsa and South Florida among others.  

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Baylor Lands Kilgore College Guard Dantwan Grimes

7,633 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bear2be2
setshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ashley, you have been hinting at this for some time. I am impressed with the way this staff thought ahead, and it is clear that they carefully vetted this player. He reminds me in some way of Davion Mitchell at the offensive end, though he looks to have a better stroke than Davion did at a similar stage of development, and he finishes around the basket exceptionally well, using his strength and skill set impressively. He will not be as effective defensively, that would be far too much to expect, but his size and strength, combined with quickness, should be useful at the defensive end of the floor. I doubt that defensive liabilities apply to Dantwan Grimes. He should be an excellent addition to this roster.
EatMoreSalmon
Thanks, coach Brian Hoberecht! (KC basketball coach)
bear2be2
Grimes looks like a good one. Sounds like he'll fit in pretty well with the roster we've built. It's going to be a crowded rotation, though. I don't envy Scott Drew's challenge of having to find the proper role for all these guys, especially if JTT comes back at some point in the second semester.

It should be a really fun season, though. I don't see many glaring weaknesses on the team we've put together.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.