Story Poster
Photo by Chris Jones-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #9 Baylor (20-6; 9-4) at #5 Kansas (21-5; 9-4)

February 17, 2023

#9 Baylor (20-6; 9-4) travels to Lawrence, Kansas Saturday February 18th at 3pm CST to take on #5 Kansas (21-5; 9-4) at Allen Fieldhouse.  The game will be televised on ESPN. 

KenPom Prediction:  Kansas 78 Baylor 74

Torvik Prediction:  Kansas 78 Baylor 75

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Kansas 77 Baylor 73

Coaches

Kansas:   Bill Self (60); 782-233 (575-128 at Kansas) 23 NCAAs; 14 S16s; 11 E8s; 4 FF; 2 NC; 5 LV1 Violations

Baylor:  Scott Drew (52); 439-239 overall (419-228 at Baylor); 10 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  27-8 Self

Last 7:  4-3 Drew

Records Last 4 Years:  Drew 101-19; Self 104-23

Kansas Starters

Guard:  DaJuan Harris (JR) 6-1 175 lbs; 8 ppg; 3 reb; 6 asst; 46% FG; 39% 3pt; 67% FT

*Guard:  Kevin McCullar (SR) 6-6 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 7 reb; 3 asst; 43% FG; 28% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Jalen Wilson (JR) 6-8 225 lbs; 20 ppg; 8 reb; 3 asst; 42% FG; 36% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Gradey Dick (FR) 6-8 205 lbs; 15 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 46% FG; 43% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward:  KJ Adams (SO) 6-7 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 4 reb; 64% FG; 60% FT

Kansas Bench

Guard:  Joseph Yesufu (JR) 6-0 180 lbs; 4 ppg; 36% FG; 29% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Ernest Udeh (FR) 6-11 250 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 79% FG; 43% FT

Guard:  MJ Rice (FR) 6-5 215 lbs; 3 ppg; 41% FG; 15% 3pt; 67% FT

*left OSU game with an ankle injury, status unknown

Baylor Starters

Guard:  Adam Flagler (SR) 6-3 185 lbs; 16 ppg; 2 reb; 5 asst; 43% FG; 42% 3pt; 85% FT

Guard:  LJ Cryer (JR) 6-1 190 lbs; 15 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 47% FG; 43% 3pt; 88% FT

Guard:  Keyonte George (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 17 ppg; 5 reb; 3 asst; 39% FG; 34% 3pt; 81% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-7 225 lbs; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 49% FG; 27% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 58% FG; 65% FT

Baylor Bench

Forward:  Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua (SR) 6-8 245 lbs; 6 ppg; 5 reb; 50% FG; 100% FT; 44% 3pt

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 4 ppg; 4 reb; 52% FG; 23% 3pt; 62% FT

Guard:  Langston Love (FR) 6-5 210 lbs; 7 ppg; 2 reb; 43% FG; 37% 3pt; 77% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #9 Baylor (20-6; 9-4) at #5 Kansas (21-5; 9-4)

21,691 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQHOME
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I heard they're staying in Kansas till Tuesday..better be a lot of practices stressing defense.
DanaDane
One team made adjustments at the half.

The other apparently took a nap.
Fre3dombear
Pretty bad coaching unfortunately

Blown the f out by 32 points from up 16

A lot due to Higgins ole d but not like everyone doesn't know that's what's gonna be required every time vs 5 major violations ku and ut
True Grit
We came out of the half flat, and I have no idea why.
Fre3dombear
When LJ rounded through the paint jogging as Flag launched a 3 just after the inbounds and it was clear LJ had no Clue he'd even shot the ball, I began to focus on other things

That was really bad
historian
IowaBear said:

Refs have been bad no doubt about it! But the defense has been embarrassing. We have multiple guys who loaf on defense for stretches

Unfortunately that is correct.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

Wow.

Higgins in elite form
Stop blaming officiating. The team was pathetic on both ends in the second half. That had nothing to do with officiating.
bear2be2
Quinton said:

Marquette and VA like collapse so far.
And Iowa State. This is a trend with this team unfortunately.

We don't play enough defense to stop runs and panic on offense when teams are on one.

It's hard to see a team with those proclivities making a deep run in March.
BUGWBBear
CaseyBu72 said:

We quit….. nasty play

We always do against a real opponent. Hello 16 seed
IowaBear
S16 is the likely ceiling. As I said before anything more is gravy. Just avoid getting upset in the 3/14 game and the season will be a success
Johnny Bear
Puts more pressure on winning in Manhattan next Tuesday as far as the B12 race goes. We drop that one and we can probably forget about a conference title.
bear2be2
BUGWBBear said:

CaseyBu72 said:

We quit….. nasty play

We always do against a real opponent. Hello 16 seed
You are a know-nothing fool. And that's putting it kindly.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

S16 is the likely ceiling. As I said before anything more is gravy. Just avoid getting upset in the 3/14 game and the season will be a success
I've felt that way most of the year. I got my hopes up after Tchamwa Tchatchua returned, but he's just not quick enough to substantially improve our lazy-ass defense.

This is either the best or second-best group of offensive guards we've ever had and it's one of the worst on defense. Watching this team try to stay in front of quality offensive players is just sad.
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

Wow.

Higgins in elite form
Stop blaming officiating. The team was pathetic on both ends in the second half. That had nothing to do with officiating.

Nah. That set the tone as the ole defense had to appear to stay on the court. Happens most every time at ku. Is what it is
Quinton
Fre3dombear said:

bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

Wow.

Higgins in elite form

Nah. That set the tone as the ole defense had to appear to stay on the court. Happens most every time at ku. Is what it is
I have to agree with the terrible D. I understand the first half whistle setting up the second half collapse but you can't give up 55 points. You can't score in the 20s. When you do both its game over. Biggest collapse in Drew's tenure I believe. Up 17 at one point.

The guards just can't stay in front of anyone. When they start to fade, the energy and effort also dissipates. Can't continue to let offensive struggles carry over to defensive effort but it continues to happen.

Unfortunately 2 of our 3 starters are some of the weaker perimeter defenders we've had in some time. The other is an average team defender but not a good lock down one on one guy either. I think Grimes is the only guy who could potentially really do it and won't be available.

Bridges is the only decent defender on the team. Jon will take quite some time to get lateral movement up. We know Thamba struggles with movement and sets. Solid against a true post in big games but struggles otherwise.

Also the nature of crashing the offensive boards while shooting 3's will just accentuate breakout opportunities which highlights our terrible transition D.

historian
The really frustrating part about this team is that they have shown good defense (against Gonzaga, for example). If they had shown some of that in the second half today the result would have been different. I'm not saying it would have guaranteed a win but it would not have been such a complete thrashing. They might even have been able to recover somewhat offensively to mount a comeback.
BQHOME
I blame the furious start the second half on three things.

1. Overconfidence by Key.
2. Momentum.
3. Floor condition on Baylor end.
BQHOME
That was weird as he would have been in position for the board.
BQHOME
I notice he's horrible around the basket ever since he had that really bad fall after the one dunk a few weeks ago. He's missed everyone of his dunks and almost every layup since that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.