Story Poster
Photo by Michael Ciaglo-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #3 Seed Baylor (23-10) vs #6 Seed Creighton (22-12)

March 19, 2023

#3 Seed Baylor (23-10) takes on #6 Seed Creighton (22-12) Sunday March 19th in Denver at 6:10 pm CST.  The game will be televised on TBS.  

KenPom Prediction:  Creighton 75 Baylor 74

Torvik Prediction:  Creighton 75 Baylor 74

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Creighton 76 Baylor 75

Coaches

Creighton:   Greg McDermott (58) 578-344 (298-149 at Creighton); 11 NCAAs; Sweet 16

Baylor:  Scott Drew (52); 442-243 overall (422-232 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  4-2 Drew

Creighton Starters

Guard:  Ryan Nembhard (SO) 6-0 170 lbs; 12 ppg; 4 reb; 5 asst; 43% FG; 36% 3pt; 86% FT

Guard: Trey Alexander (SO) 6-4 190 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 3 asst; 45% FG; 43% 3pt; 81% FT

Guard:  Baylor Scheierman (SR) 6-7 205 lbs; 13 ppg; 8 reb; 3 asst; 42% FG; 36% 3pt; 82% FT

Forward:  Arthur Kaluma (SR) 6-7 225 lbs; 12 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 42% FG; 32% 3pt; 73% FT

Forward:  Ryan Kalkbrenner (JR) 7-1 260 lbs; 16 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blks; 72% FG; 33% 3pt; 78% FT

Creighton Bench

Guard:  Franciso Farabello (SR) 6-3 185 lbs; 3 ppg; 31% FG; 28% 3pt; 50% FT

Forward:  Mason Miller (FR) 6-7 190 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 37% FG; 38% 3pt; 56% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  Adam Flagler (SR) 6-3 185 lbs; 16 ppg; 3 reb; 5 asst; 43% FG; 41% 3pt; 80% FT

Guard:  LJ Cryer (JR) 6-1 190 lbs; 15 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 44% FG; 42% 3pt; 91% FT

Guard:  Keyonte George (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 16 ppg; 4 reb; 3 asst; 38% FG; 34% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-7 225 lbs; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 50% FG; 32% 3pt; 78% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 57% FG; 64% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Dale Bonner (SR) 6-2 170 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 asst; 44% FG; 37% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 3 ppg; 4 reb; 55% FG; 25% 3pt; 64% FT

Guard:  Langston Love (FR) 6-5 210 lbs; 6 ppg; 2 reb; 43% FG; 36% 3pt; 69% FT

Forward:  Jonthan Tchama Tchatuouia (SR) 6-10 235 lbs; 6 ppg; 5 reb; 51% FG; 50% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward:  Joshua Ojianwuna (FR) 6-10 230 lbs; 4 ppg; 4 reb; 60% FG; 66% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #3 Seed Baylor (23-10) vs #6 Seed Creighton (22-12)

41,373 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bear89
Cove Dawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ImABearToo said:

I'll pull for toad, never for whorn.

Hmmm I missed that one. Can't see any scenario that would result in me pulling for the Horns.
cleverbearname
Drew's best years we had a leader at PG. drew is one voice but from the sideline. You need guys on the court to lead. Guarantee after that creighton dork did his 3 celebration for second time, davion Mitchell would have shut that S down if he had to guard him himself.
boognish_bear
Quinton said:

ImABearToo said:

Get some ballers in here and show some flex on this "person over player" culture thing. Do your best to keep them inside the lines and worry more about remaining relevant year after year. Big new basketball arena depends on reloading and not rebuilding.

This is the elephant in the room. Balancing it is key. The culture is just a little too soft right now. I believe you can succeed with positive culture and support it. But nothing wrong with some fire

We need the next Mark Vital
Stefano DiMera
Yep..we need guys who can guard multiple positions

Other than Bridges nobody can guard another position..and most can't even guard their own position.
historian
BearTruth13 said:

FFA0329 said:

I do not care how good or bad our defense was, their shooting was absurd tonight. That is a tough way to go out.

And all you idiots on here, "our guys don't care, they don't try, Drew can't coach, etc." please get a life. You are ignorant.

Our team had flaws, and tonight showed many of them. We will be back. We are really spoiled now. It was just not our night.

I usually want the teams that beat us to go all the way. Creighton, not so much. I did not care for their attitude much; from coach to #11 and especially #55.

Anyway, shooting like that is VERY hard to beat, when we have no inside game at all.

The 2021 season was incredible. We've also gotten bounced in the 1st and 2nd round of the tournament in 5 of the last 7 tournaments we've been to.

I don't like the change in recruiting strategy. I think it gets away from what made us successful.

The 2021 natty team has us spoiled. We need to remember how special & unique that squad was: the way we dominated Gonzaga should make it clear. Maybe some of us need to watch it again & then rewatch the UNC game from last year. If we had played with that level of intensity (the UNC game) tonight, we would have won. As hard as they played last year, they were not the same as the 2021 team. It would be a healthy reminder of how special Butler, Mitchell, Teague & Vital were.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ImABearToo
Go XII, except ut. Heck, I'll pull for froggy at 9:52pm tonight.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Stefano DiMera
No .pull for Gonzaga..there is never a reason to pull for them..you still have KState to pull for.
historian
boognish_bear said:

Quinton said:

ImABearToo said:

Get some ballers in here and show some flex on this "person over player" culture thing. Do your best to keep them inside the lines and worry more about remaining relevant year after year. Big new basketball arena depends on reloading and not rebuilding.

This is the elephant in the room. Balancing it is key. The culture is just a little too soft right now. I believe you can succeed with positive culture and support it. But nothing wrong with some fire

We need the next Mark Vital

I've said that a few times this year.
Quinton
Mine as well root for Gonzaga to finally run when nobody is on them. They were unlucky in 21' with terrible timing.
historian
Stefano DiMera said:

No .pull for Gonzaga..there is never a reason to pull for them..you still have KState to pull for.

I want the TangCats to win it all!
ImABearToo
Talked me into it. Go Zags! That was easy…
vanillabryce
Dustinf100 said:

Nah. Terrible backside defender. Can be ignored on offense.

This
Quinton
Mitchell is one of the best college defenders of the last five years. Nobody in this tournament under 6'4" is doing a thing against him in the college game.

Grimes has a little fire. Hopefully it translates
CorsicanaBear
Well, that's the end of basketball season for me. See you here in November 2023, Lord willing.
ImABearToo
Hope EJ comes back and Flag gives us one more year. Bridges as well, plus LJ. Love has some quality minutes to give and Josh will beef up and improve. Nucleus is there for a bunch of "seasoned" guys to make a run.
Mitch Henessey
JaKobe Walter is an excellent defender. Hopefully it translates to the college level, but I think we're going to have a defensive stopper on the perimeter again next year.
Oldbear83
Creighton had a great game, and was able to control the pace.

Baylor started with really poor shooting, and never got into it.

The officiating was against us from the start as well.

Lots of what ifs.

If we hit as many free throws as Creighton, we're in it all the way.

If we hit the same % three point shots as Creighton, we win.

If we get the officials from our first game again, we're in it all the way to the end.

But sometimes you just get a bad situation you cannot overcome.

Ask Kansas, Purdue, Arizona and so on.

Hope we get a team that remembers this year as unfinished business, plays tough on defense and never ever gives up on a rebound. But I respect this team for coming back from 0-3 conference, for EJ coming back so soon, and at least one game of vindication for Lohner, Bridges, and Bonner.

And we beat a lot of good teams this year. Those still count.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
historian
Last year when we lost early, I was thinking the same thing: Mark Few is a good coach & a friend of Drew's. Let him have a natty since we were out. Then they lost early too & I remembered several Big 12 teams were still in it.
historian
Well said! All of it.
BearPa
historian said:

Last year when we lost early, I was thinking the same thing: Mark Few is a good coach & a friend of Drew's. Let him have a natty since we were out. Then they lost early too & I remembered several Big 12 teams were still in it.

I'm all in for Houston winning it all.
BearPa
historian
That would be great! The Big 12 winning the natty 3 years in a row with three different teams. Has that ever happened before for any conference?
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

Yep..we need guys who can guard multiple positions

Other than Bridges nobody can guard another position..and most can't even guard their own position.

This team had too many Brady heslips. There can only be 1
historian
I just took a quick look at the list: the ACC won it 3 years in a row in the early 1990s but that was only 2 teams. There also was the stretch when UCLA won a bunch in a row. Only 1 team. Unless I overlooked something, it hasn't happened before.
Bear Raid 87
And Tech was runner-up in 19 for what it's worth.
historian
Yes, I am aware. That's more proof of the conference's dominant position. That's also. Very important accomplishment.
Bear89
oldbear69 said:

National embarrassment… we look like Mickey Roarkes character in the Wrestler,,, ck that , he had more heart …
You made MBG with this awesome post.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.