Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #9 Baylor (14-2; 3-0) at KSU (12-4; 2-1)

January 15, 2024

#9 Baylor (14-2; 3-0) visits Kansas State (12-4; 2-1) Tuesday January 16th at 7pm CST.  The game will be televised on ESPN+

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 73 Kansas State 70

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 71 Kansas State 70

Evan Miyakawa:  Baylor 74 Kansas State 72

Haslametrics:  Baylor 69 Kansas State 66

Coaches

Kansas State:  Jerome Tang (57) 38-14; NCAA; Sweet 16; Elite 8

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 455-245 overall (435-234 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  2-0 Tang

Kansas State Starters

Guard:  Tylor Perry  (SR) 5-11 180 lbs; 15 ppg; 3 reb; 5 asst; 35% FG; 33% 3pt; 94% FT

Guard: Cam Carter (JR) 6-3 195 lbs; 17 ppg; 5 reb; 3 asst; 41% FG; 30% 3pt; 87% FT

Forward: Arthur Kaluma (JR) 6-7 225 lbs; 15 ppg; 8 reb; 45% FG; 39% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  David N’Guessan (SR) 6-9 220 lbs; 8 ppg; 8 reb; 57% FG; 9% 3pt; 43% FT

Forward:  Will McNair (SR) 6-11 265 lbs; 8 ppg; 5 reb; 2 blks; 64% FG; 100% 3pt; 61% FT

Kansas State Bench

Guard: Dorian Finister (FR) 6-4 195 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 48% FG; 20% 3pt; 50% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 6 asst;  53% FG; 41% 3pt; 73% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 10 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 45% FG; 45% 3pt; 71% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 15 ppg; 4 reb; 43% FG; 39% 3pt; 84% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst;  45% FG; 37% 3pt; 89% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 65% FG; 49% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 2 reb; 48% FG; 48% 3pt; 83% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 3 ppg; 3 reb; 58% FG; 33% 3pt; 70% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 6 ppg; 4 reb; 80% FG; 64% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 3 ppg; 56% FG; 50% 3pt; 77% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #9 Baylor (14-2; 3-0) at KSU (12-4; 2-1)

21,601 Views | 312 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by boognish_bear
hitmanmw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sick of this "BIg 12 is so tough" bull crap. We played like absolute garbage! 5-26 from 3. That's inexcusable.
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

Ahh my biggest fan Evil has arrived good to see you too! Btw we **** the bed against a mid team. Calling a spade a spade is allowed ya know

And Kansas lost at UCF. And Purdue lost at Nebraska. But Baylor is the team that sucks. Got it.

I could give a solitary **** about you. You were the one who made a disparaging remark about my mother earlier this year. I prefer to talk basketball.
IvanBear
Big12Bear said:

51 missed FG. FIFTY-ONE.

22 more shots than K-State. 6 fewer turnovers. Make it make sense.

Just a Butt ugly game by both teams. Burn the tape.

Make our guys watch that tape daily. This is far closer to how they want to play energy and effort wise.
BearkatBear
SIC EM 94 said:

BearkatBear said:

we're gonna lose games. we play in the big 12. the fact we didn't lose by 20 tonight with how bad we shot the ball from 3 and the line is a positive. the defense and rebounding was great tonight. this team is still good and if y'all wanna overreact to 1 road conference loss, more power to ya. but im not

The fact we didn't win easily, as terrible as KState played, is inexcusable.
we played terrible on O. that's why we lost.
Big12Bear
IvanBear said:

Big12Bear said:

51 missed FG. FIFTY-ONE.

22 more shots than K-State. 6 fewer turnovers. Make it make sense.

Just a Butt ugly game by both teams. Burn the tape.

Make our guys watch that tape daily. This is far closer to how they want to play energy and effort wise.
I liked the effort, but that was tough to watch. U-G-L-Y
IowaBear
Oh you've made plenty of disparaging comments to me. Quit playing the victim. If you can't take it, don't dish it
Smashmouth
19% from 3 point line 47% free throws. Can't win with that.
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

Oh you've made plenty of disparaging comments to me. Quit playing the victim. If you can't take it, don't dish it

Nope. I've never made any personal attacks. Only that you seem to be happier trashing the team when we lose than praising the team when we win. But I've never been personal. You, on the other hand, have.
IowaBear
I praise the team after every win. And newsflash almost everyone is trashing the team or play currently. You just like to call me out specifically because you have a hard on for me.
BearkatBear
IowaBear said:

I praise the team after every win. And newsflash almost everyone is trashing the team or play currently. You just like to call me out specifically because you have a hard on for me.
I do too
BCC97
BearFan33 said:

BCC97 said:

BearFan33 said:

That's it. Ref fueled win for Kstate. Home cooking. Sure we could have won it but they gave us too much to overcome
You can keep telling yourself that. We shot 19% from 3 and 47% from the line (with not a huge FTA discrepancy). Those aren't ref problems. This team has a laundry list of issues...officiating isn't in the top 10 of those.

With that said we found a way to lose it.

We find ways to pull defeat from the jaws of victory when the team actually is good. This team has many problems the staff needed to address in non-conference. They didn't (or the players are too dumb to assimilate the teachings)...and now said issues will all be front and center against conference teams that not only know how to exploit them, but can and will.
IowaBear
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

Dude, you trashed my mom on this site. That's eighth grade *****
IowaBear
Yeah and you're just an innocent peach on here. Get real. Quit playing victim…. I've been called a wife beater by KIA for no reason. People say **** on here it happens. I apologize for your mom comments
DanaDane
I think this one stings all of us more than potentially some other loss is due to the fact that K State basically tried to give this one to us with their equally bad play on their home court. We had every opportunity in the world to take this one, and unfortunately we didn't. We let it get away. It sure would have been nice to take this gift and head off 4-0 overall and 2-0 on the road.

Oh well, on the road again Saturday.
BCC97
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

Ahh my biggest fan Evil has arrived good to see you too! Btw we **** the bed against a mid team. Calling a spade a spade is allowed ya know

And Kansas lost at UCF. And Purdue lost at Nebraska. But Baylor is the team that sucks. Got it.

Kansas and Purdue had singular bad games once in a while. This Baylor team has issues that manifest themselves regularly. The team is currently 222nd in the nation in FG% defense. Even in winning, they're letting opponents shoot the ball well (ie, Oregon St, Florida, BYU, and Cornell all shot 49% or better.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BCC97 said:

BearFan33 said:

That's it. Ref fueled win for Kstate. Home cooking. Sure we could have won it but they gave us too much to overcome
You can keep telling yourself that. We shot 19% from 3 and 47% from the line (with not a huge FTA discrepancy). Those aren't ref problems. This team has a laundry list of issues...officiating isn't in the top 10 of those.
well, they'd have won this game if the refs hadn't been so bad. This "not great" team easily beats KSU on a neutral court, or any court where the refs were actually decent. The officiating was terrible, as bad as it gets. Our team not being great doesn't change that. We may not have a high ceiling, but this team was better than KSU tonight ... and that's not saying much.
boognish_bear
BCC97 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

Kansas and Purdue had singular bad games once in a while. This Baylor team has issues that manifest themselves regularly. The team is currently 222nd in the nation in FG% defense. Even in winning, they're letting opponents shoot the ball well (ie, Oregon St, Florida, BYU, and Cornell all shot 49% or better.

We are a good team....but not an elite one. We clearly have our flaws that aren't just "one bad game" issues. We are gonna have to scrap every game to get Ws.
bear2be2
BCC97 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

Raw field goal percentage doesn't matter when you shoot 20 more shots than your opponent because of turnover and rebounding margin. This is why defensive efficiency is a much better stat. And we've moved from the 90s to 48 with our performance in conference play.

We've played well enough on the defensive end to be 4-0 in Big 12 play. We're not because we shat the bed on the offensive end tonight. Plain and simple.
BCC97
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

BCC97 said:

BearFan33 said:

well, they'd have won this game if the refs hadn't been so bad.
No they would not have...not this game...especially given how they shot the ball and how many mental lapses just about every player had through the game.
BCC97
bear2be2 said:

BCC97 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

Raw field goal percentage doesn't matter when you shoot 20 more shots than your opponent because of turnover and rebounding margin.
sure, sure. the opponent's ball going in the basket with regularity has no bearing on the outcome of the game.
bear2be2
BCC97 said:

bear2be2 said:

BCC97 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

Raw field goal percentage doesn't matter when you shoot 20 more shots than your opponent because of turnover and rebounding margin.
sure, sure. the opponent's ball going in the basket with regularity has no bearing on the outcome of the game.
It doesn't if they're losing 10-15 possessions per game to turnovers and are being limited to one shot when they miss.

Field goal percentage defense doesn't matter when opponents are getting way fewer chances.

Blaming the defense after holding our opponent to 54 points in regulation is absurd. We lost this game on the offensive end, not the defensive end. With even a decent offensive effort, tonight's game would have been a blowout.

We consistently shoot 10-20 more shots than our opponents. That's not coincidence.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BCC97 said:

TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

BCC97 said:

BearFan33 said:

well, they'd have won this game if the refs hadn't been so bad.
No they would not have...not this game...especially given how they shot the ball and how many mental lapses just about every player had through the game.
The team was in it until the end, and that's with all the obscene calls/no calls going K-States way.
DallasBear9902
BCC97 said:

bear2be2 said:

BCC97 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

You'll be shocked to find out that Gonzaga actually shot a much better FG% than us when we crushed them in the national championship. We made it ip in volume and threes.

Baylor defense isn't meant to limit FG%. It is meant to limit FGA.
boognish_bear
#11 Wiscy loses to 8-9 PSU on the road tonight
Johnny Bear
I get it that sometimes the shots don't fall - even for a good shooting team (which we allegedly are supposed to be) - but we've absolutely stunk it up from beyond the arc in 3 of the 4 conference games we've played so far and it wasn't like we were exactly shooting lights out in the other game (BYU). To the team's credit we've gutted out 3 wins, but it would be nice to see a Big12 game where the shots are actually falling for us.
oldbear69
On the old Ed Sullvan show, i once saw a trained seal balance a ball on his nose, honk a horn and the then make a basket...10 out of 10 times , , our guys dont even have to honk a horn.....
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Quinton
It's because he sees how good this team could be. Its natural to hold teams like that to very high standards. Its more a compliment as to how far they've come over the years. This team has a lot of very nice talent but isn't quite there. The expectations are extremely high and they should be.

It is not a knock
boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.