Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #13 Baylor (17-5; 6-3) at #4 Kansas (18-5; 6-4)

February 8, 2024

#13 Baylor (17-5; 6-3) takes on #4 Kansas (18-5; 6-4) at Allen Fieldhouse Saturday February 10th at 5pm CST.  The game will be televised on ESPN.  

KenPom Prediction:  Kansas 77 Baylor74

Torvik Prediction:  Kansas 79 Baylor 73

Evan Miyakawa:  Kansas 80 Baylor 74

Haslametrics:  Kansas 76 Baylor 71

Coaches

Kansas:  Bill Self (61) 801-238 (574-133 at Kansas); 24 NCAAs; 14 S16s; 11 E8s’ 4 FFs; 2 NC; 5 LV1*

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 458-248 overall (438-237 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  28-8 Self

Last 8:  4-4 

Kansas Starters

Guard:  DaJuan Harris (JR) 6-2 170 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 7 asst; 44% FG; 45% 3pt; 77% FT

Guard:  Kevin McCullar (SR) 6-7 215 lbs; 20 ppg; 6 reb; 5 asst; 47% FG; 36% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward:  Johnny Furphy (FR) 6-9 200 lbs; 8 ppg; 4 reb; 53% FG; 41% 3pt; 68% FT

Forward:  KJ Adams (JR) 6-7 235 lbs; 13 ppg; 5 reb; 4 asst; 63% FG; 61% FT

Forward:  Hunter Dickinson (SR) 7-2 260 lbs; 19 ppg; 11 reb; 58% FG; 35% 3pt; 73% FT

Kansas Bench

Guard:  Elmarko Jackson (FR) 6-3 195 lbs; 5 ppg; 38% FG; 30% 3pt; 86% FT

Guard:  Nicolas Timberlake (SR) 6-4 195 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 35% FG; 26% 3pt; 69% FT

Forward:  Parker Braun (SO) 6-10 235 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 69% FG; 43% 3pt; 75% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 6 asst;  50% FG; 39% 3pt; 70% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 45% FG; 41% 3pt; 66% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 14 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 39% FG; 34% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 45% FG; 40% 3pt; 86% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 64% FG; 56% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 12 ppg; 3 reb; 46% FG; 49% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 55% FG; 25% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 79% FG; 63% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 2 ppg; 48% FG; 42% 3pt; 77% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #13 Baylor (17-5; 6-3) at #4 Kansas (18-5; 6-4)

34,165 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Guitarbiscuit
IvanBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dennis had six or more turnovers in games against Auburn, Duke, Michigan State, and KU.

He can't ball handle or facilitate against talent.
boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey said:

I liked that he wanted that last shot, and how pissed he was that he missed it.

I liked seeing how pissed he was too. He's got fire in him. Hopefully he can unlock that 3 ball soon.
Crawfoso1973
Re: Walter, the slump has him mentally defeated at this point and he is pressing. A couple of times he had open looks but instead of shooting without hesitation, he hesitated and then tried to dribble to find a better look which ended up in a much worse attempt. That is without a doubt the top indicator of someone who has lost confidence in his shot. And about 3 of his turnovers were from trying to overcompensate for his perimeter shooting struggles and dribble right through / around his defender. His game is compeletely out of sorts right now. It reminds me of a good hitter in baseball in a hitting slump, the slump is mental more thatn physical even though the underlying skills are there. At some point there will be positive regression if he can just hang in there and work through it.
Crawfoso1973
Dennis looks and plays small against aggressive and athletic defenses. We can compensate with better ball movement to take the pressure off him. When the offense stagnates and he is forced to do it on his own the turnovers mount.
IvanBear
Big agree. We can largely play around this weakness, but it requires Jakobe making shots. If our top talent option continues to be this bad then Dennis is going to have to magically get more athletic.
Mitch Henessey
I'm actually more encouraged tonight than I thought I'd be. I figured we'd lose, but we look like the better team when we're firing on all cylinders. And we're getting better. But we need to play better than we did tonight.
IvanBear
Let's not forget KU was missing their best player. You can maybe argue love is our best player, but love is less important to us than the guys KU was missing is to them.
IowaBear
Love is our best guard. He's a gigantic loss for us. But you are correct in McCullar being a big loss for KU
BUGWBBear
Mitch Henessey said:

BUGWBBear said:

Ends with a doink. We Are Baylor.
Drunk again already, BUG?

No. Just living rent free in your head, Mitchypoo.
ScottS
IowaBear said:

Love is our best guard. He's a gigantic loss for us. But you are correct in McCullar being a big loss for KU
Any word on Love's return?
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

And your thoughts on Dennis play? Or Nunn? bridges? None of upperclassmen stepped up when we needed them most. And that's happened multiple times this year
Dennis really struggled tonight. The only other game he's had like this in Big 12 play was the K-State game.

It was unfortunate timing, for sure. But I have trouble getting too worked up about it given a) how much he's leaned on for everything we do offensively and b) how consistent he's been around his two stinkers.
Quinton
All away venues outside of Auburn. And all "bright light" feature games. Ku is not especially talented without McCullar.

But they have an aura and name that can make guys shy away. That's the biggest issue. Shook mentally in those situations.

I will agree Dennis isn't a great matchup v athletic guards with aggressive forwards who really get at you. He's casual with the ball and lacks explosion.

But at home he's okay with it (Iowa st). We'll know more after Ku at home and although I wouldn't call them especially talented, Hou at home.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

Dennis had six or more turnovers in games against Auburn, Duke, Michigan State, and KU.

He can't ball handle or facilitate against talent.
This is an idiotic take. He's second in the best conference on the planet in assists per game.

Get as frustrated as you want with his turnovers, particularly the careless ones. But to say he can't facilitate against talent is ludicrous.

He's one of the best facilitators/passers in the nation.

Take him off this team and we'd have a minimum of five more losses than we currently do.
IowaBear
My point to Ivanbear was that it wasn't just Walter who was bad. None of the upperclassmen played well in fact I'd argue Nunn and Dennis were just pitiful. Bridges was his usual self for the most part
DP4LIFE
In Dennis's defense, watching on replay, he was getting shoved on almost every dribble drive. I still think he has been the MVP up to this point for this team. Missi is a beast! And, he has one of the higher basketball IQs on the team.
historian
Oldbear83 said:

My two cents, FWIW:

It's very hard to win at Kansas. Sometimes because Kansas usually plays better, often because Kansas gets calls to help them (which in my opinion is one reason Kansas often doesn't get far in the Tournament - they are not used to playing where they don't get a foul advantage), and often because visitors are intimidated by the place. The fans, the history, everything works to add to the stress level for the visitors.

Baylor was supposed to lose tonight by 7, and many predictions had KU winning by 10. So for everything that went wrong, I'd suggest the team did better than expected, and let's not forget the Bears were down by 13 halfway through the first half, and down by 11 with 8:41 to go in the game.

So the Bears fought back multiple times from some bad situations, and were in a position to win. This is unlike the other losses, where the Bears let leads disappear. It's easy to find mistakes if you want to see them, but don't forget this is a tough sport in a really tough league.

You want to *****, go ahead and vent. I don't like the loss and I'm not making any excuses, but I would suggest the Bears should focus on the positives, build confidence, and get back on a new winning streak.

This deserves a lot more stars.
Guitarbiscuit
Mitch Henessey said:

This game will make Walter better. He's an alpha personality, and he realized he can play in the toughest environment in the country.

He needs to be better, but I think he will. 4 inches on that last shot and we're in OT. I liked that he wanted that last shot, and how pissed he was that he missed it.

Agreed. Walter does have a good work ethic. That much is obvious. Hopefully the good work ethic will result in an uptick in 3 point percentage once the tournament begins.
DanaDane
historian
I like Ted Harrison's take on Baylor MBB:

DanaDane
To win on the road in a difficult environment like Allen Fieldhouse, your PG must:

1) control the flow of the game, which takes the crowd out & keeps the opponent out of their game;
2) value possessions and avoids careless turnovers;
3) instill confidence in the team as a leader through poised play and good decisions;
4) prove clutch any time he goes to the FT line;
5) needs to outperform the home team's PG

And a team that can hit open shots.

Not sure what happened tonight since I didn't get to see the game, but one glance at the boxscore tells me all I need to know statistically. When you outrebound an opponent by 17 boards, you should end up taking at least 10 more shots than they take. KU actually got 10 MORE looks than we did because we turned the ball over 21 times. That is beyond awful. You can't have your PG's play explaining 6 of those (nor your shooting guard explaining 5 of those). That's just carelessness, both on the PG as well as the rest of the team. And someone will have to explain to me how Josh O could have 4 turnovers in as few minutes as the boxscore indicates he played. I'm not sure how that is even possible.

But, despite all of that, it is apparent from reading the thread we STILL had two opportunities to nail open 3 pointers and failed, so there are a lot of positives to be said about the grit of this team. And, there's also obviously a lot of positives to be said about Missi. From the descriptions all of you provided in this thread along with a glance at the boxcore, it is evident he just continues to grow and grow at a tremendous pace. I also wish Love would have gotten a chance to play because KU has proven vulnerable to opponents who can drive to the basket and that is the major skill Love brings to this team.

Oh well, I didn't expect to win this one so hopefully we kick it in gear. We absolutely cannot let the home game with OU get away from us and we can't go into Morgantown lackadaisically. Let's shoot for 2-0 this week.
wgeralds
if anyone was curious, in the nba last night in their 48 minute games, the highest amount of turnovers was 19 (hornets). this season our of ~1600 games - there have only been 37 times a team had 21 or more turnovers. again it's a 48 minute game so presumably we should never be anywhere near that level...but it's also "professionals" vs "amateurs" so i dont how comparable the two stats are

we can say it's a long game and both teams have turnovers. if we're getting 3 or 4 positions less than the opponent each night (13 less than kansas - what a joke) and we cant hit our ft's - every game is going to be an absolute uphill climb unless we're playing someone from the SEC () or other sub-par league.

i believe in CSD 100000%. feels like the offense we run could enable players to have better ball-safety than it does. or maybe it is the conservative offense and if CSD didn't call what he calls - they have 30+ a game because rayj can't seem to keep his mitts on the ball.
Hotsauce
Tbf, like 5 of the TOs were Josh O's doing. He has the worst hands on the team and maybe in the entire league.

RayJ has had games where he doesn't seem interested in scrapping which is pretty inexplicable compared to the other times when he's amazing.

These two accounted for half the TOs I'm sure.
Crawfoso1973
Hotsauce said:

Tbf, like 5 of the TOs were Josh O's doing. He has the worst hands on the team and maybe in the entire league.

RayJ has had games where he doesn't seem interested in scrapping which is pretty inexplicable compared to the other times when he's amazing.

Those turnovers that bounced off of Josh O I still lay them squarely on RayJ. He threw several dumb passes to Josh in a crowd of defenders 12 or 15 feet from the basket and for no reason. If you're a PG you can't put your bigs in that position. Josh's hands are fine when he is ready for the pass when posting up or on lob attempts.
IowaBear
Dennis had 6, Walter had 5 so there's 11 of your 21. No idea how many Josh so had. But as mentioned above Dennis did Josh zero favors with sone of his passes
Crawfoso1973
DP4LIFE said:

In Dennis's defense, watching on replay, he was getting shoved on almost every dribble drive. I still think he has been the MVP up to this point for this team. Missi is a beast! And, he has one of the higher basketball IQs on the team.
It looks like he's being shoved only because he's small and weak relative to more athletic teams and defenders.
ImABearToo
As a wide receiver back in high school, we spent time on the speed bag to improve our hands. Those punching bags wore out your knuckles but greatly improved our ability to catch and hood the football. Is that a basketball training tool? Might help our guys with cement hands.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
DP4LIFE
Crawfoso1973 said:

DP4LIFE said:

It looks like he's being shoved only because he's small and weak relative to more athletic teams and defenders.
That's a very fair point. But, it's just not called consistently in most games. Case in point - Missi getting whistled for his third foul trying to defend a transition lay up - when he completely backed off.

wgeralds
Hotsauce said:

project big men with few years of bball can't ever seem to handle the ball
davesburgerbarn
I wish Walter played defense. Guy cannot guard anyone.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
Guitarbiscuit
davesburgerbarn said:

I wish Walter played defense. Guy cannot guard anyone.

I wasn't able to see the whole game yesterday. Did everyone blow by him again?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.