Story Poster
Photo by William Purnell-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #15 Baylor vs #7 Kansas

March 1, 2024

#15 Baylor (20-8; 9-6) takes on #7 Kansas (21-7; 9-6) at Foster Pavilion Saturday March 2 at 12pm CST.  The game will be televised on ABC.  

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 76 Kansas 71

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 75 Kansas 72

Evan Miyakawa:  Baylor 77 Kansas 73

Haslametrics:  Baylor 74 Kansas 69

Coaches

Kansas:  Bill Self (61) 804-240 (577-135 at Kansas); 24 NCAAs; 14 S16s; 11 E8s’ 4 FFs; 2 NC; 5 LV1*

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 461-251 overall (441-240 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  29-8 Self

Last 5 Years:  5-4 Self 

Kansas Starters

Guard:  DaJuan Harris (JR) 6-2 170 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 7 asst; 43% FG; 40% 3pt; 77% FT

*Guard:  Kevin McCullar (SR) 6-7 215 lbs; 19 ppg; 6 reb; 4 asst; 46% FG; 35% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Johnny Furphy (FR) 6-9 200 lbs; 9 ppg; 5 reb; 51% FG; 37% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  KJ Adams (JR) 6-7 235 lbs; 12 ppg; 5 reb; 3 asst; 60% FG; 59% FT

Forward:  Hunter Dickinson (SR) 7-2 260 lbs; 18 ppg; 11 reb; 56% FG; 33% 3pt; 65% FT

Kansas Bench

Guard:  Elmarko Jackson (FR) 6-3 195 lbs; 4 ppg; 39% FG; 29% 3pt; 82% FT

Guard:  Nicolas Timberlake (SR) 6-4 195 lbs; 4 ppg; 2 reb; 36% FG; 27% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  Parker Braun (SO) 6-10 235 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 67% FG; 38% 3pt; 67% FT

Guard:  Jamari McDowell (FR) 6-4 180 lbs; 2 ppg; 33% FG; 33% 3pt; 87% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 7 asst;  49% FG; 37% 3pt; 70% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 46% FG; 45% 3pt; 70% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 15 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 39% FG; 34% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 46% FG; 41% 3pt; 84% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 64% FG; 60% FT

Baylor Bench

*Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 46% FG; 49% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 54% FG; 22% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 72% FG; 61% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 2 ppg; 46% FG; 36% 3pt; 72% FT

*injury status unknown

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #15 Baylor vs #7 Kansas

21,516 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by historian
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Postgame show said this is the first time KU has lost 7 bigXII games.
Fre3dombear
whitetrash said:

Yep. hOFer Scott Drew continues to make history!!!!
KIA
Fre3dombear said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Fre3dombear said:

We tried to pi s s it away. So weird. Overall pretty damn good from the line and missing key free throws in the clutch. Survived it
You're a strange, strange man

The ladies disagree
Oh, I really doubt that.
hitmanmw
Dennis was so clutch today (7-8). Meanwhile Walter is still MIA…AGAIN!! I don't get the open airball
3s…
MrGolfguy
W
Fre3dombear
KIA said:

Fre3dombear said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Fre3dombear said:

We tried to pi s s it away. So weird. Overall pretty damn good from the line and missing key free throws in the clutch. Survived it
You're a strange, strange man

The ladies disagree
Oh, I really doubt that.

Lol. Ok
Fre3dombear
hitmanmw said:

Dennis was so clutch today (7-8). Meanwhile Walter is still MIA…AGAIN!! I don't get the open airball
3s…

If he could get his FG% to even 38-40% in a game and find his free throw stroke again, get back Love at same level as before, this team can do something special with how Missi has developed
historian
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
EvilTroyAndAbed
hitmanmw said:

3s…

Dude, chill. We won and it actually wasn't that close.
TWD 1974
whitetrash said:

I doubt Bill Self is in any trouble, but the toupee is getting fired.
Crawfoso1973
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…

Yeah, and he wasn't even MIA. He was all over the place on both ends. He contributes to winning in a variety of ways, even when his shot isn't falling.
historian
Baylor Softball also got the W:

EvilTroyAndAbed
Fre3dombear said:

We never led by less than four points for the final 13 minutes of the game. Of course Kansas is going to do their best to make runs. That's not the same thing as pissing it away. You glass half empty people are weird.
whitetrash
historian said:

Just don't say we stole one…..
Fre3dombear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Fre3dombear said:

We never led by less than four points for the final 13 minutes of the game. Of course Kansas is going to do their best to make runs. That's not the same thing as pissing it away. You glass half empty people are weird.

Nah. Up 14 or so and put it in doubt. These things matter in the tourney and need to improve them wherever possible to make this team more complete

Example Nunn bricking a FT and then jakobe bricks front end 1 and 1 which created a 5 point swing instead of basically ending it there. It's a free throw. We miss too many in the clutch. That offends some y'all. Is what it is

I get most of y'all livin in 2010 baylor or Dave Aranda football baylor.

Win is great of course. Some of us look at the finer points of the game and the bigger patterns / opportunities for improvement

Obv a good W but damn some y'all get butt hurt so easy
TWD 1974
Crawfoso1973 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…

Yeah, and he wasn't even MIA. He was all over the place on both ends. He contributes to winning in a variety of ways, even when his shot isn't falling.
Yeah, not sure what game some folks were watching. The 8 rebounds, 2 offensive rebounds for Jakobi were huge.
Johnny Bear
Good, solid, protect the home court type of win against a good team. Need to take care of Biz against UT on Monday.
Alf
Crawfoso1973 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…

Fair enough. Please remind of a game where his shots were falling. I honestly can't remember because it's been awhile.
MrGolfguy
whitetrash said:

historian said:

Just don't say we stole one…..
Too soon
boognish_bear
Alf said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…

Fair enough. Please remind of a game where his shots were falling. I honestly can't remember because it's been awhile.

A week ago against UH with one of the best defenses in the country Walter went 7 for 13 on FGs and 5 for 10 from 3s and 4 for 5 from the stripe for 23 points.

The potential is there when he puts it all together.
Mitch Henessey
boognish_bear said:

Alf said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…

A week ago against UH with one of the best defenses in the country Walter went 7 for 13 on FGs and 5 for 10 from 3s and 4 for 5 from the stripe for 23 points.

The potential is there when he puts it all together.
Expecting people to remember a game 7 days ago is a lot to ask.
Hotsauce
hitmanmw said:

3s…
Stop it. Walter is fine. He plays hard, plays w/ fire, and plays for the team. He's not shooting us out of games.

Enjoy the win.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Just watched the game on DVR. Missi absolutely set the tone in the beginning with his Matrix-like dunk. He definitely gone (NBA). He looks more like a lottery pick than Walter. Walter looks like a late teens to twenties guy. RayJ needs to shoot the floater a lot more, been thinking that for weeks. He can get that shot pretty much any time he wants and it's so hard to defend. Nunn needs to keep driving to the basket, he has been huge. Baylor is starting to play well, good timing headed into the tourney. This was the best I've seen the team play overall all year. I hate to say this, but we seem to play better without Langston Love.
Mitch Henessey
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I hate to say this, but we seem to play better without Langston Love.
Or, call me crazy, we're gelling and improving as a team, which is what the handful of rational posters on this board have been saying would happen all along.

Suggesting we're a worse team with Love is an all-time head scratching take. If anything, if he comes back at full strength, he raises our ceiling to potential Final Four caliber.
whitetrash
ESPN's bottom of screen scrolling teaser during MissSt-Auburn:

"Marquette, Kansas fall short in early matchups"
historian
Never
historian
Hotsauce said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…
Stop it. Walter is fine. He plays hard, plays w/ fire, and plays for the team. He's not shooting us out of games.

Enjoy the win.

Walter plays like a very talented freshman with lots of potential & still much to learn. It's enough to help us win today. A lot of people expect him to be a lottery pick. It's difficult to argue with that.
historian
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Just watched the game on DVR. Missi absolutely set the tone in the beginning with his Matrix-like dunk. He definitely gone (NBA). He looks more like a lottery pick than Walter. Walter looks like a late teens to twenties guy. RayJ needs to shoot the floater a lot more, been thinking that for weeks. He can get that shot pretty much any time he wants and it's so hard to defend. Nunn needs to keep driving to the basket, he has been huge. Baylor is starting to play well, good timing headed into the tourney. This was the best I've seen the team play overall all year. I hate to say this, but we seem to play better without Langston Love.

Agree with everything except the part about LL. If Love were 100% we would be a whole lot better. That's why Drew is keeping him out. He will be needed more in the tournament. The crazy thing about this team as that without him we are good enough to win some games in KC. With him we could go to the Final Four. A week ago I had doubts about getting past Sweet 16. All of this is still very iffy but the team is playing so much better than just 2 weeks ago.
historian
ESPN tears
hitmanmw
Crawfoso1973 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hitmanmw said:

3s…

"Even when his shot isn't falling??" It hardly ever falls. If you are going to take the most shots on the team, you can't just make 3. He does get after it on both ends. I just think he's young. He would prob be a force next year. Alas…

Fre3dombear
Mitch Henessey said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Or, call me crazy, we're gelling and improving as a team, which is what the handful of rational posters on this board have been saying would happen all along.

Suggesting we're a worse team with Love is an all-time head scratching take. If anything, if he comes back at full strength, he raises our ceiling to potential Final Four caliber.

Yep. It's why Drew has done for like 15 straight years yet some people don't believe. Throw in all these lottery pick players and transfers annually and what can one expect. Maybe they'll catch on
william
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
BusyTarpDuster2017
Mitch Henessey said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Well, I actually do call you crazy because you're a leftist so it's apropos, but regardless.....

Yes, it's possible we're just gelling as a team at this moment. But it's also possible that the gelling has been facilitated because there was a shakeup in the lineup. Sometimes this happens, and a team finds itself. Sometimes an injury to a major player "wakes up" other players and they elevate their games, or they get a lot more minutes, and the result is better than it was before. That's all I'm insinuating. Love is a great player, and we're a better team talent-wise with him than without. But chemistry and dynamics factor into winning big games, probably more that overall talent. I'm just saying it seems like that's what's happening. Again, like I said I hated to say it, and I hope I'm wrong. It was just an opinion, and I'm sorry if I got the Baylor panty party that inhabits these sports boards all wadded up, which usually happens anytime there's a negative comment.
BusyTarpDuster2017
historian said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Agree with everything except the part about LL. If Love were 100% we would be a whole lot better. That's why Andrew is keeping him out. He will be needed more in the tournament. The crazy thing about this team as that without him we are good enough to win some games in KC. With him we could go to the Final Four. A week ago I had doubts about getting past Sweet 16. All of this is still very iffy but the team is playing so much better than just 2 weeks ago.
"Andrew"?? LOL.
historian
autocorrect
Original fixed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.