Sweet 16 Friday night games

4,881 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by historian
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cryer ain't that guy.

Two straight turnovers.
bear2be2
Tremendous defensive possession by Houston. They're so good on that end.
bear2be2
Francis misses the bunny. That would have been a huge bucket.
Quinton
That's probably it. Tough effort though. I won't speak on anything else right now due to the injury.
Big12Fan2024
Cryer looking just like he did for us anytime you had to rely on him to be a PG. Dribble. Dribble. Dribble. Dribble. Turnover.
bear2be2
Quinton said:

That's probably it. Tough effort though. I won't speak on anything else right now due to the injury.
I think they win that game with Shead. Without him, Cryer's weaknesses were exposed badly. The fact that he and his family thought he was a point guard shows how little self-awareness some of these folks have.
bear2be2
It's not over yet. Sharp finally makes an appearance after a relatively quiet game.
BigGameBaylorBear
This weekends games are so much better than last week
Big12Fan2024
I feel a UH 3 bomb here.

OT coming.
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

I feel a UH 3 bomb here.

OT coming.
That's where Cryer shines/comes in handy. They need to draw up something for him.
bear2be2
Or use Cryer as a decoy to get Sharp a look.
bear2be2
I don't like going for two there.

Cryer's not a great finisher. That's not even a high-percentage shot.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Isn't a cryer forced 3 a better shot?
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Isn't a cryer forced 3 a better shot?
It is IMO. Cryer or Sharp.
Big12Fan2024
An all ACC Elite 8 region.

What an abysmal tournament for the Big 12.
bear2be2
Not a bad look by Sharp. He was just a little short.
IvanBear
Houston's offense was so disgusting this year, nothing surprising about this with or without their stud.
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

Once Shead went down, Houston's chances took a giant hit. That's not the same team with him on the shelf.
historian
Only in this region. There are other conferences represented in the others. But not the Big 12, 2024 or 2025.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Big12Fan2024
bear2be2 said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

Once Shead went down, Houston's chances took a giant hit. That's not the same team with him on the shelf.
I agree. His production and presence were the engine of that team.
Jack Bauer
Elite 8 seeds

1 - UConn, Purdue
2 - Tennessee
3 - Illinois
4 - Duke, Alabama
6 - Clemson
11 - NC State
bear2be2
Unfortunately, this game served as a reverse showcase for LJ Cryer and put on full display that and why he's not the elite guard/alpha scorer he thinks he is.

He's a really good 3-point shooter and a very solid college guard. But if you stretch him beyond his fairly limited skill set, he proves he's not that guy. Shead was Houston's Batman. Cryer was the same Robin for Houston that he was for us.
Jack Bauer
SAT:

Illinois vs UConn
Clemson vs Alabama

SUN:

Tennessee vs, Purdue
NC State vs. Duke
Quinton
bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

I think they win that game with Shead. Without him, Cryer's weaknesses were exposed badly. The fact that he and his family thought he was a point guard shows how little self-awareness some of these folks have.

They aren't brain dead. They thought he had more potential to be featured there but the real reason was they didn't like Drew featuring George over LJ. That was the main issue. They knew guys were coming that would be getting time this year too. The messaging is feel good but just PR.

Im not saying he made a poor decision. It will probably help him in Europe that Sampson actually made him play hard all the time on defense. The fanatical accountability is higher than with Drew's style.
Fre3dombear
Quinton said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

They aren't brain dead. They thought he had more potential to be featured there but the real reason was they didn't like Drew featuring George over LJ. That was the main issue. They knew guys were coming that would be getting time this year too. The messaging is feel good but just PR.

Im not saying he made a poor decision. It will probably help him in Europe that Sampson actually made him play hard all the time on defense. The fanatical accountability is higher than with Drew's style.

It will be interesting when all is said and done if Drew finishes with more nattys than Sampson.

And if his style can result in another one. It's funny to think how bummed we all are that we exited in the first round 1-1 3 years in a row.

And yet, I'm still disappointed and we could see this potential back in mid January. Then a season ending injury again by Love and it all but sealed that fate.

When did shead get hurt? Tuned out largely after BU choked it away
boognish_bear
Ok....pulling for Cinderella NC St from here on out
Quinton
This was his best chance. Shead and Roberts have been a foundation for this group for 2+ years now. If both are gone they have to reset to build back.

Drew's style with a little more discipline and tougher defensive coaching has more upside for a title in the right years. But the guy can't get any core players for more than a year or two. Sampson always has 3 and 4 yr guys in the system

Got hurt around 6 minute mark or so first half
Fre3dombear
Quinton said:

This was his best chance. Shead and Roberts have been a foundation for this group for 2+ years now. If both are gone they have to reset to build back.

Drew's style with a little more discipline and tougher defensive coaching has more upside for a title in the right years. But the guy can't get any core players for more than a year or two. Sampson always has 3 and 4 yr guys in the system

Got hurt around 6 minute mark or so first half

Dang that's tough. No sympathy for any teams injuries after what baylor basketball endured the last 3 and don't even get started on Briles' last few years.
historian
Fre3dombear said:

Quinton said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

It will be interesting when all is said and done if Drew finishes with more nattys than Sampson.

And if his style can result in another one. It's funny to think how bummed we all are that we exited in the first weekend 1-1 three years in a row.

And yet, I'm still disappointed and we could see this potential back in mid January. Then a season ending injury again by Love and it all but sealed that fate.

When did Shead get hurt? Tuned out largely after BU choked it away

FIFY: it was first weekend, second round three years in a row

Shead was injured late in the first half. Houston was unable to do much without him. They struggled to keep up but at least managed to keep it close.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
They were this close to not even being in the tournament

BUBBFAN
Jack Bauer said:

If Houston wins, they play NC State on Sunday.

Anyone remember a certain Houston-NC State game a while back?

I remember. Still unbelievable
Johnny Bear
historian said:

Fre3dombear said:

Quinton said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

And if his style can result in another one. It's funny to think how bummed we all are that we exited in the first weekend 1-1 three years in a row.

When did Shead get hurt? Tuned out largely after BU choked it away

FIFY: it was first weekend, second round three years in a row

Shead was injured late in the first half. Houston was unable to do much without him. They struggled to keep up but at least managed to keep it close.

I'm no Coog fan, but losing the top point guard in the country in the 1st half really sucked for them and for the B12. That was the difference as you've got to figure that having Shead on the floor for the entire second half plus the rest of the first half post injury would've been worth a whole lot more than 3 points.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Big12Fan2024
The year we won the championship UH played

So the answer to the guy's question is no.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.