NC State is evidence

3,492 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by boykin_spaniel
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bleed Green said:

The top seed in the NBA has won zero of the last 5 championships and just 3 of the last 10. They have only played in the championship series 4 of the last 10 years. Now, i guess you can have a different definition of the best, but the top seed missing the finals that many times and only winning 30% of the time makes 99% a bit off.
No, No, No, No.

I have a completely different definition of what the best team is.
The top seed does not mean you are the best team in the NBA.
The team that can win four different 7 game series against other elite playoff teams proves itself as being the best team.

Its very rare that a team that doesn't win the NBA title is considered better than the NBA Champion.
The NBA Championship is different than the NCAA or NFL because its not a single game elimination.
The best team almost always wins in a 7 Game NBA series. The only real exception is injuries.

When the Shaq/Kobe Lakers won 3 titles in a row from 2000-2002 they only had the best record in the 1999-2000 season. Everyone knew that the Lakers were the best team in the league.........regardless of regular season record.

The 2001 Lakers are considered an all time great NBA team because of their 15-1 post season record. They only had a regular season record of 56-26 which was nothing special and was 3rd in the league that year.
Bleed Green
Then by your "definition", I guess you are correct.
Method Man
Bleed Green said:

The winner of the NCAA tournament is the best team of the post season, period. Sometimes they happen to coincide with the best team for the year. Frequently they coincide with one of the top 3-4 teams for the year. Occasionally, they are not in the top 10 for the year, but still had the best post season. It is true of every sport. The NFL might be the most frequent "best team wins" league.
If 2015 Kentucky played Wisconsin or Duke in a 7 game series...I highly doubt either school would have been able to beat Kentucky.

But in a single game elimination an upset can happen...and that 2015 Kentucky Wildcat team that went 38-1 is largely forgotten about because of that one loss to Wisconsin.
boykin_spaniel
March Madness deserves its name. 64/68 teams play a one and done tournament. One bad game and you go home. Play out of your mind and achieve legend status like George Mason, Loyola Chicago, St. Peters, Dunk City FGCU, etc.
Most teams tend to have a rock solid point guard, play good defense to stifle a scoring drought, a legit scoring threat with secondary options, and have solid senior leadership. People forget Calipari's team featured Darius Miller a senior who won SEC 6th man of the year award.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.