Cryer

7,392 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by Baylor17
jdrs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry if this has been discussed. Saw where Cryer posted he "wished he come sooner" to UofH. Didn't know he'd left the team with so much bad blood. Really surprised by his take.
IowaBear
Was told by a very reliable poster on this board that Cryer left on rather bad terms. He was actually supposed to leave a year earlier but was talked into staying. Cryer had 1 foot out the door while at BU.
boognish_bear
EvilTroyAndAbed
I mean if he's getting hounded on social media by some Baylor "fans," then I'm not gonna mad at him for what he said.
bear2be2
Grown men shouldn't be trolling a college player, but his response speaks to his immaturity.

Cryer is what he is, a really good 3-point shooter and a solid scorer but a really one-dimensional player. Force him to handle the ball or create for others, and he's worthless.

He's never at any point in his college career been as good as he thinks he is.
Bearfan21
If you're getting NIL and you're 22 years old, the whole "attacking a kid" argument doesn't really work. That's lost as soon as they accepted playing for money.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Bearfan21 said:

If you're getting NIL and you're 22 years old, the whole "attacking a kid" argument doesn't really work. That's lost as soon as they accepted playing for money.

Ok, but are you the type of person who would go on Twitter and ridicule him and defend it with "well he's making money so I can do what I want."

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
IowaBear
Zero sympathy for LJ on my end. From the stories I've been told he was a horrible teammate and that's me being nice about it. The dude simply thought he was better than everyone else on the team. He was a cancer. And I have no reason not to believe the stories I've been told.
LJ is a wimp. I'll leave it at that
CHP Bear
I wonder if his Baylor NCAA Championship Ring still fits? Think he'll ware it to the 10 or 20 year BU Championship Reunion?
alanmarmstrong
I could be wrong, but didn't he sort of initiate the comments with his "typical second round exit" comment? As if his defense, or lack there of, was partially why one of those exits happened…
IowaBear
Yes he started it with that unnecessary comment. What's funny is the moment Shead went down and Cryer had to be the guy he folded like a pretzel.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Grown men shouldn't be trolling a college player, but his response speaks to his immaturity.

Cryer is what he is, a really good 3-point shooter and a solid scorer but a really one-dimensional player. Force him to handle the ball or create for others, and he's worthless.

He's never at any point in his college career been as good as he thinks he is.

It's 2024 he's an adult on Twitter taking money to play basketball, profiting off being a public person. Trolling is part of the sport now, no sympathy for any pro athlete who is trolled for their performance.
Heisman25g
Poking the bear with uncalled for comments and then trying to play the victim tells me everything I need to know
DaboBear
All I know is from personal observations watching his demeanor, body language, and facial expressions. He always seemed unhappy or even pissed off. Plus, if there is any truth to the fact he was cleared to play last year and didn't, "don't let the door hit ya...."
Stefano DiMera
Whether he's getting paid or not is completely irrelevant..the fact that grown men on this thread..some probably old enough to be his grandfather are throwing shade or getting into a twitter battle with him.is kinda pathetic.
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Whether he's getting paid or not is completely irrelevant..the fact that grown men on this thread..some probably old enough to be his grandfather are throwing shade or getting into a twitter battle with him.is kinda pathetic.

You clearly don't understand the purpose of Twitter. If you're not ready to be criticized on the internet don't spend time there.
Robert Wilson
Pretty mild comment by Cryer.

Esp considering our crowd booed him for 40 minutes plus OT in Waco.

WVU did the same thing to Jalen Bridges. I get it. But it's also kinda tacky.

Drew pretty well had a bead on what Cryer was, and as deep as we were at guard, he wasn't going to fully be the man here. His stint at UH has been very good, but it also illustrates that Drew was correct. Cryer wasn't the man, and when the man went down UH was toast.

Great shooter, good scorer, eh after that.
Quinton
Heisman25g said:

Poking the bear with uncalled for comments and then trying to play the victim tells me everything I need to know
What comment? Something was said about losing in the 2nd round again?
jdrs
Yes, he made a comment about us not getting past the round of 32. Seems like an unnecessary comment meant to stir up Baylor people.
Quinton
I didn't know it went that far. I do know there was negative energy and some animosity at our young talented players. Beyond actual accounts, it was obvious from the demeanor and approach. I do know there was overestimation of ability. I do know this wasn't his first choice (Purdue) and it was souring from the start. Didn't know it got that deep though.

The PG messaging during the transfer was just PR to look positive and rational. Yes, they would have liked him to be featured at point.. but they aren't completely delusional. That was a secondary issue.

I do know a more hard lined uncompromising approach (Sampson as Hou) was probably a better place for him.. the constant positivity and vocal staff/coach dynamic was not a good fit. The get in line or get out approach is a better fit. One thing for Sampson, he does not deal with an ounce of attitude after the very early stages. Also having Shead to smooth out the transition was good for him.
Quinton
jdrs said:

Yes, he made a comment about us not getting past the round of 32. Seems like an unnecessary comment meant to stir up Baylor people.
Didn't know that. Fair game then. You can't put something out there and then expect nothing to come.

Would I ever think its a good idea to go back and forth with some young player.. nope. Sound like a ridiculous thing to do to me but I understand why he might be hearing about it. He claims his "for the city" stuff. Then he knows you can't expect nobody will clap back.
TWD 1974
jdrs said:

Before or after Houston went out in round of 16?
TXBEAR_bf
Can someone post the comment. If not baited it seems really low class to post anything about Baylor losing on the tournament.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
TXBEAR_bf
No ill will towards LJ and his departure, it was a win win situation in my opinion. Not sure how he could talk badly about Drew or staff as they never said anything publicly about him not playing last year. Agree with several on this post though that his body language sucked. You saw it some in Houston's last game. He made some bad decisions and bounced the air out of the ball several times. He is a great shooter and has a good mid range game as well, but he was never the alpha and didn't seem to be a good teammate from what I could tell. I hope he has a great career and matures to a point where he doesn't feel the need to bad mouth Baylor.
IowaBear
From what I've been told LJ had a really really poor attitude at BU. Again just what I've been told.
Was also told BU made zero effort to keep him once he entered the portal last off season. So not sure the staff viewed him as a loss at least chemistry wise
boognish_bear
TXBEAR_bf said:

Can someone post the comment. If not baited it seems really low class to post anything about Baylor losing on the tournament.

IvanBear
boognish_bear said:

TXBEAR_bf said:

Yeah you can and should get dragged on the internet for posting that
Quinton
IowaBear said:

From what I've been told LJ had a really really poor attitude at BU. Again just what I've been told.
Was also told BU made zero effort to keep him once he entered the portal last off season. So not sure the staff viewed him as a loss at least chemistry wise

I knew it was negative, that part was obvious. But the "really, really poor" part is what I didn't know.

Sampson's program is a better fit for a guy like that if they can get them in line.
Daveisabovereproach
Man some of y'all should stick to watching 5th grade upwards basketball if you don't want players that talk negatively about a former program to be criticized or fans to boo them at games. It's college basketball, not a polo match at Buckingham Palace

Now obviously, smack talk should be countered with reasonable parity. If somebody called him a betch or said something about his mom or something like that, I would have a problem with it. But as others said, you're getting paid by a university, you leave on bad terms to what is essentially a rival program, and then you talk smack? Yeah, you have it coming
TXBEAR_bf
Ya, that comment is bush league, definitely changes my feeling about him leaving and his attitude. Good riddance.
Big_Pumpin
Didn't he get booed by the fans when he came back?

I'm sure if I went back to my old company to do a lunch and learn as a member of a new company and I got booed, I'd probably say something snarky on twitter.
Robert Wilson
Big_Pumpin said:

Didn't he get booed by the fans when he came back?

I'm sure if I went back to my old company to do a lunch and learn as a member of a new company and I got booed, I'd probably say something snarky on twitter.
yeah, we booed every time he touched the ball for 40 minutes plus OT

now we are whining about his (relatively mild) tweets...
LTBear19
Depends.

Did you leave on bad terms (and as a disgruntled employee)?

Or did you leave respectfully after helping the business reach new heights?

I guess we'll find out if the treatment Cryer received is similar (or much different) than what Gerry Bohanon will receive when BYU comes to town this fall.

My guess (or at least what I'm hoping for), is that Gerry is treated nicely.
Bearsalwayswin
Oh man I thought we weren't playing byu this year I guess I was getting confused with last year let's go!!
True Grit
When can we expect him to return his ring? Also, I guess we can save postage or the email to him about the NC Reunion events.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.