If CSD does hit the bourbon trail, do we go get Tang back?

4,419 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by parch
Chamberman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It doesn't look like this is going to be settled for a day or two, so might as well speculate. I for one would hate to see him leave, but if he does...who's up?
boykin_spaniel
I'd imagine Tang and McCasland would be the first two calls. After that it would be a toss up. Lot of the top mid major coaches already took jobs. Medved at Colorado State? Randy Bennett at St. Mary's? Does a booster step up and try to poach Mark Few or some other big name?
Johnny Bear
I've got to believe Tang and McCasland are the first two that would be checked out. In Tang's case he just got his deal sweetened at KSU to keep Arky at bay, so given that, I'm not sure we could touch him. I'm also assuming TTech would fight to keep McCasland as well.

Mainly, I'm just hoping we don't have to find out.
bear2be2
boykin_spaniel said:

I'd imagine Tang and McCasland would be the first two calls. After that it would be a toss up. Lot of the top mid major coaches already took jobs. Medved at Colorado State? Randy Bennett at St. Mary's? Does a booster step up and try to poach Mark Few or some other big name?
If we can't get McCasland and Tang in that order, my next call would be to Bucky McMillan at Samford. He took over a dreadful program and turned them around in two years. And he's only sustained/built on that success since.
Stefano DiMera
Bob Huggins
The Ghost of Jerry Tarkanian
Gene Iba
Tony Barone
Rajon Rondo

In no particular order.
Bleed Green
Don't forget Paul Mills. He took ORU to the dance and made some noise. Lots of players he recruited there went to bigger schools and made some noise. He just finished his first year at Wichita State.
william
Stefano DiMera said:

Bob Huggins
Gene Iba
Tony Barone
Rajon Rondo

In no particular order.
stan albeck
doug moe

- kkm

Go Bears!
burg0047
Bryce Drew. A 2 for 1 package and Molly finally lands where she belongs.
MattyIce
burg0047 said:

Bryce Drew. A 2 for 1 package and Molly finally lands where she belongs
A Man After My Own Heart
whitetrash
Stefano DiMera said:

Bob Huggins
Gene Iba
Tony Barone
Rajon Rondo

In no particular order.
No love for Harry Miller?

TeamPlayer
burg0047 said:

Bryce Drew. A 2 for 1 package and Molly finally lands where she belongs.
I was hoping Mack would hire Bryce Drew as our WBB head coach post Mulkey.

How bizarre would it be to hire his brother? I'd be on board with that.
william
larry brown.........

ONLY if he wears the overalls.

- ABA KKM

Go Bears!
Fre3dombear
Darrell Johnson
Mitch Henessey
Darrell Arthur. The man is guided by dreams, and Baylor Basketball is where dreams can come true.
MattyIce
If Drew leaves, fold the program
william
Big12Fan2024
McCasland is my first hope.

Tang would be ok.

But Baylor will take the cheap route and avoid the hefty buyouts and just get Bryce Drew instead.
guadalupeoso
Tang would be my first option, then McCasland. Would be fine with either. I don't see a world where we don't get one of those guys, but if we have to move outside of those two I would look towards Lake Charles.
BigGameBaylorBear
Offer Kim Mulkey to coach the men's team
contrario
Coach K is available
TWD 1974
Mitch Henessey said:

Darrell Arthur. The man is guided by dreams, and Baylor Basketball is where dreams can come true.
Perhaps Quevyn is ready to coach...
IvanBear
guadalupeoso said:

Tang would be my first option, then McCasland. Would be fine with either. I don't see a world where we don't get one of those guys, but if we have to move outside of those two I would look towards Lake Charles.

I don't underestimate Mack's ability to f this up. No replacement coach will get the NIL support drew does,
guadalupeoso
IvanBear said:

guadalupeoso said:

I don't underestimate Mack's ability to f this up. No replacement coach will get the NIL support drew does,
Yea, it's kind of a depressing thought to know that this may be all on Mack's shoulders to handle.
LIB,MR BEARS
Buzz Williams??
Bleed Green
My vote is McCasland. He has built programs and has a better HC resume than Tang. I also think he will be a much better draw to alumni base given his Baylor history.
parch
I think Tang would be more likely to jump - he has more recent history with us and has an extra year in the tank with KSU. Leaving a high major program after one year to go back to a rival might be too tall a wall to ask McCasland to scale. But I'd gladly take either.
Bleed Green
I see your point on McCasland but the Raiders I know feel like McCasland will go if Baylor comes calling. Only one of them are heavily connected into the athletic department, but I would bet they represent the general consensus of Tech fans.
GoodOleBaylorLine
My preference would be Tang. Better coach and a better recruiter. Would also be more likely to maintain the culture of the program.

My guess is neither would jump at this point.
parch
Bleed Green said:

I see your point on McCasland but the Raiders I know feel like McCasland will go if Baylor comes calling. Only one of them are heavily connected into the athletic department, but I would bet they represent the general consensus of Tech fans.
I mean yeah, nobody wants to stay in Manhattan or Lubbock long if they have any say in the matter. I honestly think both would come back if we pushed hard enough, especially at this time of year. I think it's mostly about which coach feels like the bridge will be less burned by leaving.

Let it be said that McCasland has zero (0) recruits in the tank for 2024, and I'm not all that excited about anyone on his roster coming with him.
PartyBear
I dont see how Macasland works. He really screwed himself up not just from our vantage point but from that of many other programs as well by playing a guy with a sex assault conviction or the equivalent thereof for juveniles from a few years ago. He also attempted to act like that court proceeding never happened. Not good.

I dont see how we can even enter talks with him and I will personally question alot of things from 2016 to present if we do.
bear2be2
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

My preference would be Tang. Better coach and a better recruiter. Would also be more likely to maintain the culture of the program.

My guess is neither would jump at this point.
On what are you basing your better coach assessment? McCasland has more experience and success as a head coach than Tang, who has gotten a whole lot of mileage out of one good season.

I'd be happy with Tang, but McCasland should be our first call.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

I dont see how Macasland works. He really screwed himself up not just from our vantage point but from that of many other programs as well by playing a guy with a sex assault conviction or the equivalent thereof for juveniles from a few years ago. He also attempted to act like that court proceeding never happened. Not good.

I dont see how we can even enter talks with him and I will personally question alot of things from 2016 to present if we do.
What conviction are you referencing? I think you're mixing up the Tech basketball and Arizona football situations.

There's plenty to criticize with the Pop Isaacs situation, but all we have there at this point is an allegation in a civil lawsuit.
PartyBear
I believe he had a juvenile proceeding in which he was adjudicated. That is why I said the juvenile law equivalent of a conviction. Didnt he?

Either way he played someone under a sex assault accusation. By our own standards of firing guy who didnt even let a guy with a sex assault allegation wear a uni but was fired for having a kid accused of it, I dont see how we can even think about going there.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Why would McCasland or Tang come back anyway?

They get better support at the schools they are at now.
fadskier
Why not hire his brother from Grand Canyon?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.