Baylor is favorite for Duke's Jeremy Roach

7,151 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Crawfoso1973
lakersfan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IowaBear
Good!
We need to load up. KU is absolutely crushing the portal right now
bexar country
That would be a great get!
gobears20
Staff
That guy lit us up for 18
historian
Can he defend?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Quinton
Roach was my preference all along but didn't think there would be any shot. Just threw it out there. Not wildly explosive but huge experience and very steady with the ball Really good scorer, decent off the dribble, and solid defender as well.

Not a straight up point but could easily do the job and set up Wright for a big future. Would be a really strong pick up. I put him as a top 10 transfer. You pick up the Rutgers transfer with him and I think we would be #2 behind KU.
MashedPotatoes
You know you're a top-notch program when you're getting Duke transfers.
Quinton
historian said:

Can he defend?
He is significantly better on defense than any of our guards last year. Decent to solid defender. Not overly explosive but decent athlete, good feet, and sound fundamentals. If he regresses.. something is really wrong with our defensive staff.
gobears20
Staff
I figure it's the type of guards we are sending to the league. Players want to come here

Crawfoso1973
Let's get this done!
IvanBear
This is the mega acquisition we need at guard
IowaBear
Land Roach, Aidoo and an alpha wing and we have a roster capable of big things in 24/25
boognish_bear
IvanBear
I will continue to bang the drum that I doubt there are any million dollar players in the transfer portal, maybe one or two of the 5 stars, maybe thrown out to retain a top player, but I just still have a hard time believing they're actually pulling that in the portal.
BUGrad2012
Three lead experts on 24/7 Sports predicted him to come to Baylor, including a top Duke contributor. All 3 predictions came in between 6:40 and 7:40. I would say this is pretty much locked up and he should sign soon.
Big12Fan2024
Common sense tells you he didn't go from a list of only 3 in Kentucky, Arkansas and St. Johns which are 3 of the most notorious for throwing around a lot of money right now to suddenly saying oh hey forget about all the cash they are offering and let me sign with Baylor a school and a city I've never even visited in my life without us offering a bundle of cash.
gobears20
Staff
The interesting thing didnt people say he was declaring for the NBA? Now all of a sudden he is coming to Baylor.
Crawfoso1973
I just watched a ton of youtube footage on him and I am sold. A scoring machine at PG who can hit threes and play downhill finishing at the rim with either hand. Perfect fit for our system. What an amazing get for us if we can close the deal.
IowaBear
He did both, declared and entered portal
gobears20
Staff
Thanks

Go back and watch what he did on our game against Duke. I kept saying in that game we need guards like that lol

Nunn and Dennis did get better throughout the year.
parch
gobears20 said:

Thanks

Go back and watch what he did on our game against Duke. I kept saying in that game we need guards like that lol

Nunn and Dennis did get better throughout the year.
Nunn for sure did. Dennis less so, although he was ahead of Nunn. He always had that tricky wrong-handed flip layup that got guys early in the year, but if you took away his avenue to the lane so he couldn't hit that off-footed floater, he was never confident in his pull-up game, and that never really changed throughout the year.

Roach is a little more balanced, a much better distributer, a slightly less confident driver in the lane and a better defender than Dennis was.

My biggest disappointment with RayJ was always his court vision. He rarely did anything surprising carrying up court. He mostly just dumped into that top-court weave and was pretty mediocre in transition. Roach is a significant improvement in that regard.
BearFan33
Great news!
Big12Fan2024
So all the build up yesterday and then nothing happens? No confirmation of this from Roach himself. Was all of this fake news or did we get outbid by someone else? Did he have a dream overnight that said he belonged somewhere else?
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera
Hopefully Nunn and/or Little don't transfer if this pans out.
parch
Stefano DiMera said:

I wouldn't worry about Nunn. He got lots of minutes last year with a similarly guard-heavy rotation, and I think Drew proved to Nunn he has a very real role to play in this offense. Really we're just swapping Walter for VJ and Roach for Dennis.

I'm less sure about Little. He has to be thinking a step down in program quality will give him the ability to develop, because as is he's like 7-10 min/g guy, and he's never going to get better that way. Unless he takes some big strides this offseason he's probably the 4th or even 5th guard depending on how the offseason goes.
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

I feel like Little you can convince to stay sit and learn there's a starting roll for him next year if he proves it.

Nunn on the other hand is older, and it's hard to see him starting over Roach, VJ, and Love unless Love is injured again. Which is why you want to hold on to Nunn... I know he was a starter last year but he was really off the bench minutes wise until Love went down.
Crawfoso1973
IvanBear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I feel like Little you can convince to stay sit and learn there's a starting roll for him next year if he proves it.

Nunn on the other hand is older, and it's hard to see him starting over Roach, VJ, and Love unless Love is injured again. Which is why you want to hold on to Nunn... I know he was a starter last year but he was really off the bench minutes wise until Love went down.
Love was the 6th man last year, and he will do that again next year. We will start Roach, Nunn, VJ. Love and Wright top guards off the bench. Little on the outside of the rotation looking in until Love's next injury.
IvanBear
Crawfoso1973 said:

IvanBear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Love was the 6th man last year, and he will do that again next year. We will start Roach, Nunn, VJ. Love and Wright top guards off the bench. Little on the outside of the rotation looking in until Love's next injury.
I do not see how we keep Love unless he is promoted to a starter, when healthy the dude is a stud he would be starting across the country and it's not close when you compare him and Nunn. There has to bee a good number of programs across the country whispering in his ear come here and you'll start and play 30-35 minutes a game. Quite frankly that's not going to happen for Nunn.

The big if with this is if he's healthy which the way they handled his health at the end of the season makes me suspicious of his actual health. Maybe he's once again going to spend all off season with injuries. If love is not healthy yes it's Nunn, if he's healthy though Drew is not putting his best five on the court with Nunn over Love.
Crawfoso1973
Even when fully healthy Love was our 6th man last year. It's not a knock on him at all, he brings instant offense off the bench but is a bad defender and doesn't handle or facilitate. Our rotation pattern is 8 top guys so it doesn't really matter who starts. Nunn is a more versatile player and is a better fit with the starting unit. We just have to knock on wood that Love can stay healthy and will still be effective after multiple leg injuries, that is my only concern with him.
IvanBear
Crawfoso1973 said:

Even when fully healthy Love was our 6th man last year. It's not a knock on him at all, he brings instant offense off the bench but is a bad defender and doesn't handle or facilitate. Our rotation pattern is 8 top guys so it doesn't really matter who starts. Nunn is a more versatile player and is a better fit with the starting unit. We just have to knock on wood that Love can stay healthy and will still be effective after multiple leg injuries, that is my only concern with him.
What Nunn did you watch last year? He was not a better defender than Love they were pretty level and other than a handful of games where Nunn got hot he was a drag on the offense.. Love was also a vastly superior passer and better at driving to the basket which is going to be extremely important in the hypothetical rotation being built.

If Love is going to be healthy this offseason he'll pass Nunn. He had passed up Nunn during the regular season until he went down last season. There's a version of our season last year where he becomes a starter over Nunn barring injury. The starting 5 couldn't get things done early in games as the season dragged on, getting subs in was just not realistic for a lot of that, but in a world where Love is healthy he likely gets started over Nunn to give the offense an instant start.

Unless Nunn somehow becomes a vastly better defender or ads a lot point guard skills to his game he's not the better player than Love and it would be foolish to not start Love.
IowaBear
He's saying Nunn will start. Not that he will play more minutes than Love. Before his injury Lone had passed Nunn in MPG but Nunn was still starting
Adriacus Peratuun
IvanBear said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

What Nunn did you watch last year? He was not a better defender than Love they were pretty level and other than a handful of games where Nunn got hot he was a drag on the offense.. Love was also a vastly superior passer and better at driving to the basket which is going to be extremely important in the hypothetical rotation being built.

If Love is going to be healthy this offseason he'll pass Nunn. He had passed up Nunn during the regular season until he went down last season. There's a version of our season last year where he becomes a starter over Nunn barring injury. The starting 5 couldn't get things done early in games as the season dragged on, getting subs in was just not realistic for a lot of that, but in a world where Love is healthy he likely gets started over Nunn to give the offense an instant start.

Unless Nunn somehow becomes a vastly better defender or ads a lot point guard skills to his game he's not the better player than Nunn and it would be foolish to not start Love.
Love was the worst perimeter defender on the team last year. By a significant margin. And he managed that reality while having the easiest perimeter assignment every time he stepped on the floor.

Nunn [except when in foul trouble] drew the most difficult perimeter assignment every game.

As an aside: that last sentence about Nunn being a better player than Nunn is mildly confusing.

As an additional aside: the entire returning roster and coaching staff has a ton of soul searching to accomplish about their individual/the team's D intensity.
Crawfoso1973
Love is the ideal 6th man who can come off the bench and boost the team's offense. He was elite in that role last year while Nunn started. It doesn't mean Nunn is the better player in a vacuum. In our system our top 8 guys are all playing starter's minutes. It's just a matter of roles and substitution patterns.
IvanBear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

IvanBear said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Unless Nunn somehow becomes a vastly better defender or ads a lot point guard skills to his game he's not the better player than Nunn and it would be foolish to not start Love.
Love was the worst perimeter defender on the team last year. By a significant margin. And he managed that reality while having the easiest perimeter assignment every time he stepped on the floor.

Nunn [except when in foul trouble] drew the most difficult perimeter assignment every game.

As an aside: that last sentence about Nunn being a better player than Nunn is mildly confusing.

As an additional aside: the entire returning roster and coaching staff has a ton of soul searching to accomplish about their individual/the team's D intensity.
Corrected, it should have been Love and Love at the end of the sentence.

We were playing a lot of zone at the end and Nunn was just frankly out of position not drawing the best outside shooter. As you said no one on this team looked good defensively last year so I'll even grant you the assumption love is a worst defender, it's a meaningless ranking because they have both been bad.

I'm confused by all the assumption here though we'd leave a top 3 or 4 player on our roster on the bench. It was questionable when we did it last year. We all agree Love played more minutes than Nunn when healthy, it seems pretty clear the staff and everyone here agrees he's a better player. Last year's team had this massive problem of the offense being dreadful until we made the Love for Nunn substitution. If Love had stayed healthy he probably was a second team all big 12 type player last year and becomes a starter.

I know drew loves to bring a ringer off the bench, but it is never the same guy for 4 years. Even Acy became a starter his senior year. You do not put one of your top 3 players (who is a senior) on the bench. Outside of some new guy entering the portal at the wing position and us landing him our top 3 players coming into the season are likely to be Roach, VJ, and Love. If Nunn was some elite defender you could make make an argument for subbing offense for defense, but you're just subbing offense for streaky offense that didn't show up against good teams.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.