Your all time favorite Bear

3,067 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by historian
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious who everyone's favorite Bear is when it comes to Men's Basketball. Will always be Motley for me. He's criminally underrated among the greats at BU (keep in mind I'm relatively young) so I can't speak on guys before the 2000's. But I'm a sucker for an elite big and he was definitely that. Dont think that 16 team even makes the tournament without him let alone the S16. Maston and Acy would be honorable mentions for me.
What about everyone else?
MrGolfguy
Terry Teagle - the best pure shooter to wear a Baylor uniform
parch
Aaron Bruce. Coincided with my time at Baylor so that plays into it, but also was just a bolt out of the blue for us in such an insane time for the program. He seemed so far above our standard in those first Drew years, seemed like he could hit any shot from anywhere while the rest of our starting 5 was picked off the playground.

He was really the bridge for us between the madness period and the CJ/Tweety/Dugat/Rogers era that really launched the program. I genuinely don't think we'd be where we are without him, and he was just so much fun to watch.
Crawfoso1973
Great thread topic. Mine is a tie between Davion and Butler, the twin engines that drove the bus for our title team.

After that, here's the rest of my top 10 (no particular order):

*Vital - potentially the greatest defensive player to ever play for us. Without him we don't sniff a title.
*Terry Black - the best pure athlete and dunker I ever saw in a Baylor uniform.
* Tweety - 1st McDonald's all-american to play for us. After Tweety our recruiting really took off
*Acy - similar to Black, so many highlight reel dunks and mean mugs. Will never forget the game he dunked all over Texas and made sports center
* Lace Dunn- a walking bucket without a conscience.
* Teague - consummate role player for our Natty team. His work on the defensive end was extremely underrated.
*Curtis Jerrells - killer crossover and one of first big-time recruits along with Aaron Bruce to put us on the map
*Adam Flagler - who can forget the "other" guard on our Natty team? His 3 point dagger to seal the title is my favorite sports memory of all time.

Bear51
How can you pick just one? But no one represents Baylor Basketball any better than Mr JARED BUTLER!
HONORABLE MENTION:
Tommy Bowman, William Chatmon, Terry Teagle, Michael Williams, Jerome Lambert, David Wesley, Brian Skinner,Curtis Jerrells, Tweety Carter, Lace Dunn, Ekpe Udoh, Quincy Acy, Pierre Jackson, Royce O'Neale, Taurean Prince,Jonathan Motley, MARK VITAL, Davion Mitchell, MaCio Teague, Adam Flagler, Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua,
And I'm sure I left several out!
IowaBear
Some talented Bears listed by yall!
Not familiar with a few of the names who were before my time.
I've heard Teagle mentioned by a ton of posters as being of the BU greats. Especially his shooting.
Best shooter I've been able to watch In a BU uniform was Heslip. I was always shocked when he missed a 3
chorne68
Who is your favorite child?
TechDawgMc
Terry Black was just so much fun to watch. I'd have to go with him, though Mitchell would be the other strong candidate.
Fre3dombear
IowaBear said:

Some talented Bears listed by yall!
Not familiar with a few of the names who were before my time.
I've heard Teagle mentioned by a ton of posters as being of the BU greats. Especially his shooting.
Best shooter I've been able to watch In a BU uniform was Heslip. I was always shocked when he missed a 3

That colorado game. That poor gum
joseywales
Vinne Johnson
Bear51
I can't believe I left out Vinnie Johnson( the Microwave) and Terry Black who had one off the greatest quotes of all time in the history of Baylor sports!
BigGameBaylorBear
Jalen Bridges
Jared Butler
Davion Mitchell
Stefano DiMera
Michael Williams..

So freaking smooth.

Was the player who pulled us out of the abyss and to our first tournament in almost 40 years.

And still holds the NBA record for consecutive free throws made.
Big12Fan2024
Josh Lomers
MrGolfguy
Stefano DiMera said:

Michael Williams..

So freaking smooth.

Was the player who pulled us out of the abyss and to our first tournament in almost 40 years.
Darryl Middleton says "Hi!"
BearFan33
Tough one

Anyone on the national championship team deserves special praise but for me I think Acy. Just so much fun to watch. Dude was always working and the dunkarama against UT was a special memory.
Hotsauce
Tweety.

Still believe we are where we are today in large part because of him.
Longtmebear
Got to be Vinnie Johnson. Been watching the bears since the late 60's in the HOT Coliseum and no one was as unstoppable as Vinnie.
rileyroo
Definitely Davion Mitchell. He played incredible D.
Stefano DiMera
Middleton was great but someone had to get him the ball...

Michael was an assist machine and a scorer..led the SWC in assists AND steals and second only to Kato Armstrong in scoring
IowaBear
Surprised no one has mentioned Pierre. He was an absolute monster at BU.
MrGolfguy
Stefano DiMera said:

Middleton was great but someone had to get him the ball...

Michael was an assist machine and a scorer..led the SWC in assists AND steals and second only to Kato Armstrong in scoring
They go together, can't separate them. It was a team after all. I'm sure they would say the same if you asked them.
SirBearALot
What was the greatest quote ?
Stefano DiMera
True...but the thread was your all time favorite Bear ..not duo...if it was..then Middleton/Williams has my vote too.
MrGolfguy
Stefano DiMera said:

True...but the thread was your all time favorite Bear ..not duo...if it was..then Middleton/Williams has my vote too.
I got that; I'm just responding to your original post that said Williams was "the player who pulled us out of the abyss". He didn't do it singularly, more than anything it was the Williams/Middleton duo that lead that team to success.
Johnny Bear
parch said:

Aaron Bruce. Coincided with my time at Baylor so that plays into it, but also was just a bolt out of the blue for us in such an insane time for the program. He seemed so far above our standard in those first Drew years, seemed like he could hit any shot from anywhere while the rest of our starting 5 was picked off the playground.

He was really the bridge for us between the madness period and the CJ/Tweety/Dugat/Rogers era that really launched the program. I genuinely don't think we'd be where we are without him, and he was just so much fun to watch.

To me players like Aaron Bruce, Vinnie Johnson, and Terry Teagle have a lot in common as in when they played they were pretty much one man teams surrounded by a lot of comparatively inferior talent that was on the floor to mainly just try to get the ball to them and get out of their way. Amazing how each of them did what they did with at most little support from the other 4 players on the floor beyond maybe making a decent pass to get the ball to them.
JP1037
Jared Butler

On the court he was almost unstoppable.

Off the court an amazing human being who was front and center with serving others and sharing his faith.

Lots of amazing players at Baylor I admire. But JB is tops.
Bear51
The great quote from Terry Black was a response to a quote from a Kansas player earlier in the year when they had lost a game and said it wasn't like we lost to Baylor or someone like that. Terry responded after we had beat them handily on national TV something to the effect of " it's no big deal, it's not like we beat Duke or North Carolina!"
BUAL
You know you really love Baylor Basketball when everyone of these names listen makes you smile. Even some of the dudes that frustrated me, now make me smile.
GruntTuff
Vinnie Johnson. Michael Williams. David Wesley. Quincy Acy. Tweety Carter. Davion Mitchell. Jared Butler.

Best of all time.

Vinnie Johnson.

BearlyBeloved
Whether or not they were our best players, I smiled the most when watching Quincy Acy, Mark Vital, and Davion Mitchell.

Plus a nod to Brady Heslip.

Big12Fan2024
Some things never change. I was always amazed at the lack of reading comprehension skills of many students when I taught at Baylor. This thread personifies that observation.

The implied question posted by the OP is not, "The all time best Bear." The implied question is, "Your all time favorite Bear."
Stefano DiMera
....and probably for a sports question.. ..best equals favorite..
Task Force 2015
I am surprised that no one from Arkansas has selected Loveday.
drahthaar
Youngsters!
William Chatmon
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.