Texas Tech

11,610 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bear8084
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It appears that every university in Texas has had low expectations since 2003, the last time a team from this state made the Final Four.

Thank you, Tech, for finally having the courage to expect a Final Four 16 years later.
whitetrash
Russell Gym said:

It appears that every university in Texas has had low expectations since 2003, the last time a team from this state made the Final Four.

Thank you, Tech, for finally having the courage to expect a Final Four 16 years later.

If memory serves me correctly, the only FF appearances by Texas schools are:

Houston 4 (68, 82, 83, 84)
UT 3 (51, 90, 03)
BU 2 (48, 50)
SMU 1 (55)
UTEP 1 (66)
Tech 1 (19)
greatdivide
whitetrash said:

Russell Gym said:

UT 3 (51, 90, 03)
BU 2 (48, 50)
SMU 1 (55)
UTEP 1 (66)
Tech 1 (19)

I hate it when facts get in the way of a good rant.
Stefano DiMera
It's all timing..Tech took advantage of a down Kansas year...this was not the year for us to take advantage due to injuries..

That being said..the bar is now raised for Drew.
Stefano DiMera
I doubt Tech fans expected a final 4 after what they lost last year.
william
slice it thin, ttechsters.

- BUmma

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }
Go Bears!
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stefano DiMera said:

It's all timing..Tech took advantage of a down Kansas year...this was not the year for us to take advantage due to injuries..

That being said..the bar is now raised for Drew.
If Tech hadn't done much in the tournament, I'd agree with you. But I don't think KU's record had anything to do with their success. Making a Final Four is proof that they are extremely good, regardless of the conference they're in.
Redbrickbear
Rooting for Tech!
whitetrash
Pizza Hut returned as sponsor of March Madness three years ago, and their investment finally paid off this year.
bularry
whitetrash said:

Russell Gym said:

UT 3 (51, 90, 03)
BU 2 (48, 50)
SMU 1 (55)
UTEP 1 (66)
Tech 1 (19)

I think UH has 5
Russell Gym
Auburn, congrats for expecting elite basketball for the first time in program history .... Final Four for the first time!
Osodecentx
I'm happy for Tech. Make conference look good. May help us in the future
CSIBear
xiledinok said:

Beard is getting locked up. Tech doesn't have a flagship coach. They 'll have alumni bending over for them.

I guess the United Spirit Arena is just a great recruiting advantage over the FC.
What recruiting advantages does Tech have over Baylor?
Tech's Final Four appearance after being in the dumpster should raise expectations and cause our small basketball fan base to raise expectations.
Pretty dumb post. Baylor was in the hunt for the conference championship with 2 weeks left to go. We also lost our star player to injury and were picked expected to finish second to last in league play...

The better question is what recruiting advantage do we have over UT, Iowa State, TCU, Oklahoma, OKST..etc lol
zebbie
This team and program are legit. Beard is staying in Lubbock until he retires and we have lots of banners. We will have the second biggest arena in the Big12 when ut downsizes. With our fan support and these last two years, we are going to attract some talent. Get used to it.
Bear8084
zebbie said:

This team and program are legit. Beard is staying in Lubbock until he retires and we have lots of banners. We will have the second biggest arena in the Big12 when ut downsizes. With our fan support and these last two years, we are going to attract some talent. Get used to it.

Glad to see someone made a joke sock of an old troll. Funny.
Osodecentx
zebbie said:

Congrats.
I hope you are right.
zebbie
Osodecentx said:

zebbie said:

Congrats.
I hope you are right.

I would be concerned about losing him if we had struggled to get here after years. But Beard is just getting started. Yeah, he went to ut, but he learned his hoops here under Knight and has been here almost 15 years and loves it.
Fozzie
joseywales said:

It is just a matter if you want your program to be elite or average and some years above average...we have a solid bb program and really nice guy and a wonderful human being for a coach..his best years may well be ahead of him I certainly hope so..I would accept nothing but elite , expectations dictate how good you can be and for Baylor allot of the fans just don't care enough to have those type of expectations...congrats to tech..
someone should start a thread about how all signs are pointing to this being the end of an era
Fozzie
Stefano DiMera said:

That program/coach deserves all platitudes..of course they have ****ty fans..we all do..Beard is a good guy..likes Drew..and earned points by chewing out his players and making them apologize to Drew in Lubbock.
phoniest over coaching ever. Getting upset about what a bunch of walk-ons do at the end of the game. Give me a break.
Fozzie
zebbie said:

Illinois Bear
zebbie said:

Wait......Zebbie didn't die years ago??
xiledinok
CSIBear said:

xiledinok said:

Beard is getting locked up. Tech doesn't have a flagship coach. They 'll have alumni bending over for them.

I guess the United Spirit Arena is just a great recruiting advantage over the FC.
What recruiting advantages does Tech have over Baylor?
Tech's Final Four appearance after being in the dumpster should raise expectations and cause our small basketball fan base to raise expectations.
Pretty dumb post. Baylor was in the hunt for the conference championship with 2 weeks left to go. We also lost our star player to injury and were picked expected to finish second to last in league play...

The better question is what recruiting advantage do we have over UT, Iowa State, TCU, Oklahoma, OKST..etc lol

Grab a clue!
What is two weeks in the college basketball season? 5 games?
What recruiting advantage does Baylor have over OSU? Drive around the campuses. Oklahoma, drive around campuses, and Lloyd Noble looks it was built by the same folks who built the blighted now torn down Greyhound station in Okc. TCU, the next NBA superstar is 30 minutes away and Colonial Country Club elites would rather go to a Mavs games. You've been to Fort Worth?
Austin loves the Spurs. A few UT t shirts fans care about basketball . Shaka survives because these students don't care or have pride in UT basketball while many ut alumni and t shirt basketball memories are Tim Duncan.

There's no recruiting disadvantages.
Osodecentx
Illinois Bear said:

zebbie said:

About the time the Pirate got fired
zebbie
Illinois Bear said:

zebbie said:

I wanted to post as "The Ghost of Zebbie."
Pecos 45
zebbie said:

Welcome back, Zebbie!
Good to see you posting again.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
LIB,MR BEARS
Illinois Bear said:

zebbie said:

No. That is just the way those feedlots in the panhandle smell.
ColomboLQ
zebbie said:

Damn, you missed posting this on April Fool's Day by one day but this is still a really really good effort at being joking/ sarcastic. Nicely done.
Pecos 45
ColomboLQ said:

zebbie said:

Damn, you missed posting this on April Fool's Day by one day but this is still a really really good effort at being joking/ sarcastic. Nicely done.
Jealous, much?
Or just drinking the Hater-Are?

Really, they are from TEXAS and the Big 12, so let's pull for them.
They will only elevate our conference by winning.
(I can say that now that A&M is no longer here.)
Malcolm Forbes
Fozzie
Pecos 45 said:

ColomboLQ said:

zebbie said:

Jealous, much?

I remember hearing Art Briles reaction when he first saw all the rival Big12 teams' flags that were installed on the large pedestrian bridge going into McLane. The g rated version was "what is going on here? Get those flags removed as soon as possible." I appreciated that about Art. I bag on Kim Mulkey's spending and temper tantrums behind the scenes a lot, but I love Mulkey's attitude towards Baylor's rivals. We need more of that around these parts.

I don't wish them ill. Actually I do wish them ill tbh.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Fozzie said:

Pecos 45 said:

ColomboLQ said:

zebbie said:

Jealous, much?

I remember hearing Art Briles reaction when he first saw all the rival Big12 teams' flags that were installed on the large pedestrian bridge going into McLane. The g rated version was "what is going on here? Get those flags removed as soon as possible." I appreciated that about Art. I bag on Kim Mulkey's spending and temper tantrums behind the scenes a lot, but I love Mulkey's attitude towards Baylor's rivals. We need more of that around these parts.

100. Damn. Percent.

I hope Michigan State blows the doors off Tech by 50. I wouldn't root for another Big 12 team to be successful in underwater basket weaving.
Pecos 45
BarleyMcDougal said:

Fozzie said:

Pecos 45 said:

ColomboLQ said:

zebbie said:

Jealous, much?

100. Damn. Percent.

I hope Michigan State blows the doors off Tech by 50. I wouldn't root for another Big 12 team to be successful in underwater basket weaving.
So, you would pull for Yankees over Texans?
You've lost me here, guys.
Hoping the Red Raiders put a beat down on those sausage-eating "deese, dem and dose" guys.
(I'm still mad about them taking Vicksburg.)
Malcolm Forbes
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Pecos 45 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Fozzie said:

Pecos 45 said:

ColomboLQ said:

zebbie said:

Jealous, much?

100. Damn. Percent.

So, you would pull for Yankees over Texans?
You've lost me here, guys.
Hoping the Red Raiders put a beat down on those sausage-eating "deese, dem and dose" guys.
(I'm still mad about them taking Vicksburg.)
If it was an option, I'd gladly trade a wholesale exodus of Midwesterners (and Californians) from the state of Texas for a Michigan State win. That, sadly, isn't an option.

But I'm not rooting for Tech. In anything. Ever.

Btw, you should take a quick look at Tech's roster. There ain't much TEXAS on it.
Pecos 45
But they are playing FOR a Texas university, IN Texas.
And Culver is from Lubbock!!!

Pulling for the guys from the south plains to lay it upside those Yankees' heads.
Osodecentx
$1,500 Texas Tech title bet could net $300K

The Texas Tech Red Raiders are playing in their first Final Four in school history, and one bettor is hoping their magical run continues.
Back in November 2018, a bettor wagered $1,500 on the Red Raiders to win the national championship at 200-1 odds at the SuperBook at the Westgate Las Vegas. The ticket would win $300,000. ESPN has confirmed with the SuperBook that the ticket is legitimate.
A $1,500 wager on Texas Tech will net over $300,000 if they win it all. SuperBook
Now, the bettor is looking to potentially hedge his bet and cash out through PropSwap, a secondary marketplace that allows sports bettors to buy and sell their futures tickets. The ticket has been posted with a price of $65,000, which would be the largest cashout in the company's history (since 2015).
The SuperBook has set up its futures book well and isn't too concerned. "Auburn is our only liability, and a small one at that," SuperBook vice president of risk Jeff Sherman told ESPN.

Michigan State is a consensus 2.5-point favorite over Texas Tech at U.S. sportsbooks. As of Tuesday night, nearly 60 percent of the money on the spread and 93 percent of the money on the moneyline at William Hill US sportsbooks was on Michigan State.
Texas Tech would be a 2-point favorite over Auburn if both advanced, and a 3-point underdog against Virginia, per the SuperBook.
Bear8084
Fozzie said:

Pecos 45 said:

ColomboLQ said:

zebbie said:

Jealous, much?

This. Don't give a flip if they are from Texas. They are a rival, they need to lose. I had the same thoughts when the Rangers were in the World Series. Don't care if they are from Texas, they are not the Astros, therefore I root against them. Same for Tech or any other team not named Baylor.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.