Be on the lookout for billboards in Dallas and Waco

11,313 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ScottS
lookin4awin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABC BEAR said:

gobears20 said:

Good Stuff. We need to take this kind of thing in stride rather get defensive. Nobody complained when we razzed TCU over 61-58 and that was in good humor.

Does Mulkey still have any family in the Waco area?
I agree with you ABC. We need to take a step back and lighten up. I actually think it is kind of funny. She moved away from a lot of family and comfort in Waco to show Baylor her net worth in Baton Rouge. She's just making that point just a little closer to home. Interesting to see if those billboards are also closer to Dallas and the Final Four.
Bear3
Probably will not affect LSU recruiting wins, etc but just a classless move. Hard to believe LSU would put billboard in Waco without telling Kim. I have no problem at all with LSU putting billboards in and around Dallas, host city of final 4. Waco is 90 minutes from Dallas and not a "hotbed" for LSU alums. The billboard was put here for only one reason, to antagonize Baylor and our fans, Not a good look for LSU and Kim in my opinion.
Leonidas
WacoKelly83 said:

Makenzie still lives here, I believe. Her husband Clay Fuller is a commercial real estate broker for Coldwell Banker in Waco. I assume they both live in Waco unless I missed them moving.
And Kim still has her house in Hidden Valley.
joseywales
pilgrim said:

Whatever else it's about, it's about recruiting. LSU would be negligent to not take full advantage of the moment, the remarkable success of the team, Kim, and the millions of people who drive up and down I-35. Imagine how many people will be talking about it. The impact for LSU as a university is off the charts. Vic Schaefer will probably be as upset, or more upset, than some of us are.

LSU hit a mother load. When you do that you get the word out.
It is a big middle fingervto Waco and Baylor, nothing about recruiting. If you knew her personally then you know this..
joseywales
whitetrash said:

sicem100 said:

I hope they put them up right outside Mack Window
That's on his morning commute. Unless he exits at the Circle and takes LaSalle in the back way.
A classless move by well I can't say the word I'm want to on here.
MrGolfguy
VaeBear said:

So did Mulkey know about and or autborize this?
Of course she did.

Just like she wore the light blue pantsuit in the '05 Championship game to stick it to La Tech.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BellCountyBear
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!" - William Congreve
TechDawgMc
One of these days Baylor fans are going to realize that any success Kim has at LSU is bad for Baylor. She is a direct competitor for talent. If you're still cheering for her success, you are cheering against the Bears. Heck, she's more dangerous to us than the orange team down I-35.

She left. Get over it.
fredbear
Gloating is an inherent personality weakness in those who have an overt need to self promote due to an inferiority complex.

Kim has used her lack of self worth to her advantage 90 percent of the time. She works harder, brings more passion to the task, and never quits.

10 percent of the time her inferiority complex causes her to hold grudges and seek continual ways to belittle those who remind her that she is not the creator of the universe, nor Geno, nor Pat Summit, and now Dawn Staley. Ask the ex president of La tech and her ex husband if she ever reminds them of their miscalculations of her abilities. Lol. If she wins a natty, there will be another book starring MR and LL and how she showed them who's Queen by walking off to LSU. Problem is she can never win this game because others don't care. MR is still glad she is gone, just like her ex husband.

I wish her enough success to finally feel like she is truly somebody. But folks with her complex never really get there. That's what makes them passionate crazy.
Mitch Henessey
I think we can all make the points we want to make without bringing Coach Mulkey's personal relationships into this.

That's just as classless as what we're accusing her of.
IowaBear
BINGO, bunch of hypocrites in this thread
allybear
Morris is on her fourth school in 6 years, and no I don't think people who are arrested for assault (and then arrested two additional times by the way) should be playing, and they certainly shouldn't be the "face" of a team.
IowaBear
So by that logic BG shouldn't be playing right? And Reese is the face of that team even you know that. Just a guess here but I'd imagine you wouldn't give a crap about Morris if she was playing her final year for a team like Purdue or something. You only care because she's playing for Mulkey and in the F4
geewago
I guess everybody has forgotten/didn't know/didn't care that Baylor used to have a billboard advertising BU WBB on 35 in Austin almost within eye shot of the Irwin Center. I'd go down there to watch a game and hit 35 N to come home and there she'd be, bold and beautiful. I didn't think that was really necessary but then again any one can advertise anywhere they want. But I suspect the Longhorn fans thought differently about it. But when a Baton Rouge advertising firm puts one of their signs here, well whoa buddy, we is offended. If you don't like your competition beat them. That's what we used to do. Remember? When you're coming into Waco on N35 right before you get to the John Deere dealer my friend Jason Hahn who owns the CaseIH dealership here has his big sign up advertising his red tractors. Have you ever noticed that?
Waco2116
Classless…she never was going to be content here after the men won the national championship.
ctxbear
geewago said:

I guess everybody has forgotten/didn't know/didn't care that Baylor used to have a billboard advertising BU WBB on 35 in Austin almost within eye shot of the Irwin Center. I'd go down there to watch a game and hit 35 N to come home and there she'd be, bold and beautiful. I didn't think that was really necessary but then again any one can advertise anywhere they want. But I suspect the Longhorn fans thought differently about it. But when a Baton Rouge advertising firm puts one of their signs here, well whoa buddy, we is offended. If you don't like your competition beat them. That's what we used to do. Remember? When you're coming into Waco on N35 right before you get to the John Deere dealer my friend Jason Hahn who owns the CaseIH dealership here has his big sign up advertising his red tractors. Have you ever noticed that?
Austin, one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the nation, with 2.2 million people, and growing by tens of thousands of people every month, is a key recruiting hub for Baylor. From a marketing standpoint, if you have the funds then it would be foolish for Baylor not to purchase a billboard there.

Waco is also growing rapidly and is in a key location. But with only around 200K people, the ROI for a university like LSU, with the funds available to place a billboard anywhere, to place one of those in Waco likely comes at a loss. Even the 2-3 days of mild social media outrage (read: "No press is bad press") from a VERY small slice of the populace (WBB fans) would be a drop in the bucket for the ROI if the second billboard was placed in Austin or Houston.

Look, I am one of those crazy people who believe that multiple things can be true at the same time:

Kim Mulkey is one of the greatest coaches of any sport to ever coach the game.
Kim Mulkey did wonders for Baylor and it could be argued that ALL our athletic success after 2005 can be attributed directly to her.
Kim Mulkey is a loving mom, grandmother, and friend. She has been a positive force for good for many young women over the years.
ALSO, she is everything Fredbear said in the post above, and there are some young women who have NOT been served well, and she could have done better by them.
Kim Mulkey and Baylor had irreconcilable differences, and they are both in better places without each other. (Unless you reduce "better" to perpetual success on the court, which is a mirage.)
AND, the placing of the billboard in Waco, to anyone not wearing blinders, serves only one purpose: To extend a grudge further than it needs to be extended.
whitetrash
geewago said:

Yep. There's a sign for Jim Turner Chevrolet halfway in between Richard Karr Motors and Allan Samuels Dodge/Ram, and DiAmore Jewelers used to have a huge billboard right above Boozer's. It's a time honored tradition.

A few oldish timers might recall back about 15 years ago or so, Parrish Cox was the best player to come out of University HS in a generation, and eventually signed with OkSt. During recruiting, Gundy put up a huge Oklahoma State Football billboard at Valley Mills & Bagby, right across the street from University and just off I-35 on the way to Floyd Casey.
fredbear
No. When Kim made her personal relationships both part of her published material and her interviews, she made it part of the conversation.
BUVA
So should we expect green if she makes the championship game?
IowaBear
Seems pretty silly to be up in arms about a billboard that 90% of the posters on here aren't going to see anyways. I'd imagine it's down Saturday assuming the lose to VT which is definitely possible as they're a damm good team.
MrGolfguy
BUVA said:

So should we expect green if she makes the championship game?

Wouldn't be surprised
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
ScottS
What about a billboard in BR with a picture of a green cheek and a gold cheek that says you can shove your chick ball FF where the sun don't shine. Signed Mack.
BUVA
Shops in LA now selling Saint Kim Mulkey candles.
One-Eyed Wheeler
CKM had nothing to do with it, nor did she authorize it. It was done by some LSU alums without her knowledge.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

CKM had nothing to do with it, nor did she authorize it. It was done by some LSU alums without her knowledge.

via GIPHY

sicem100
Yep!! Good Ole Boys are big mad
slimecap
whitetrash said:

Lamar Outdoor Advertising is based in Baton Rouge.
No biggie for them to do lots of advertising for LSU.

A billboard of LSU forward Angel Reese in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

EXCERPT
February 10, 2023

Just how quickly has Baton Rouge embraced Reese in her first season at LSU? When you drive around the city, chances are you'll come across one of several billboards featuring Reese.

The image is beautifully striking: Angel standing in front of the Baton Rouge skyline, her outstretched arms palming basketballs and a halo encircling her head.

The words accompanying the image reflect the current status of the Baltimore-born player dubbed "Bayou Barbie" here in Baton Rouge.

"City of Angel."

- Excerpt from Jerry Bembry, andscape.com, 10 Feb 2023
EvilTroyAndAbed
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

That's naive. Do I think she ordered it? No, she's got more important things to do right now. But if you think that was done without her knowledge, you don't know how her industry works. Nothing like that is done without her knowledge. Someone probably brought it up, and she smirked and said, "yeah."
EvilTroyAndAbed
lookin4awin said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes for great movies. Sandra Bullock would make a great Kim Mulkey.
Yeesh. Sandra Bullock is gorgeous. I'm thinking Holly Hunter after about 3 hours in the makeup chair.
ScottS
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

Smoky says otherwise
BBWCBear
IowaBear said:

BINGO, bunch of hypocrites in this thread

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!
These sanctimonious church deacons, testosterone challenged, ultra morally superior individuals are getting it right back in their face.
I bleed green and gold and it pains me to see it displayed in our back yard, but Baylor deserves everything it's getting going back to the Pepper Hamilton debacle.

LSU, SEC, Kim couldn't give squat what our thoughtS are. As far as Kim… classless, cheap, grudges she doesn't care because she can back it up with success as she always has. There is a group that is so happy she's gone at the loss of National recognition, notoriety, etc for BU, It's doubtful BU will return, WBB, to it's standing it once was. Once again, that group is either happy or doesn't care. Im not cheering for Kim/LSU BECAUSE I'm Baylor, but her future and success will be going forward and BU will struggle to make the Tournament in WBB.
HoustonBear15
Kim mentioned in her presser after the Miami game that Waco/Texas will always be special and a second home to her. She still owns a home/property in Waco and her daughter and grandkids still live there. Her grandkids get to drive down the highway and see a picture of their grandma on a billboard.

And while some complain that she's too big of a focus on the billboard, ask yourself- what would LSU be without Kim Mulkey? We're definitely finding out that answer at Baylor.
PartyBear
What brought up her feelings about Waco Texas in her post Miami game presser? That was nice of her to mention one has to admit, if true.
HoustonBear15
PartyBear said:

What brought up her feelings about Waco Texas in her post Miami game presser? That was nice of her to mention one has to admit, if true.
The topic was brought up about being back in Texas and Kim said she was excited to be back in the state saying there were many people she would get to reconnect with. And then went on to talk about Waco some.

Her comments about coming back to Texas start around the 15 minute mark.

BUAL
Max Roguespierre said:

Clearly, Mulkey believes in second chances as long as the player can still suit up for her team and help her get some wins.

Once they have exhausted their eligibility and penned an autobiography in which she was criticized, not so much.

Don't forget the other rule. Once the player is done helping you have a historical season AND that player cannot help you anymore.... just ignore her. What an awful person.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.