2018-2019 Team

27,648 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Eball
bowdedg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
57Bear
Thanks for posting
HoustonBear15
Saw Kalani on campus today. She looks like she has slimmed down even more. Seems to be in incredible shape. I know it's always hard to lose weight and even harder to maintain it so kudos to her for the transformation she's gone through since her freshman year.
mimi25408
Yes she is definitely sliming down. Excellent.
Bone Squad
That and having some more relief from freshman post players should be a major boost to her this year.
Pale Rider
Bone Squad said:

That and having some more relief from freshman post players should be a major boost to her this year.

Indeed.
Chibears2
I remember Sunni's transformation from freshman to senior year, with respect to reshaping her body. It certainly helped her up her performance. Perhaps we're seeing the same reshaping from Brown. If that contributes to upping Kalani's game in same measure, she just might be unstoppable....
Bone Squad
At her peak, I think Kalani is unstoppable. But she could not sustain that level of play all season long without some reliable back-up coming off of the bench.
mlb60
I would think that this year we should have enough depth, albeit inexperienced depth, that Kalani's playing time can be reduced enough to allow her to retain her top gear all season.
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
mimi25408
I agree, i think this season will be better for the simple fact that we have more bodies. Last season we had the injury bug on a already a short bench. Kalani really had now worthy backups without LC. LC fouling and the team missing easy buckets in the beginning hurt us.
setshot
Queen Egbo has the body and the athleticism to play significant minutes, rotating in for either Cox or Brown. She is very active and sufficiently aggressive that her inexperience at the Division I should not prove to be a deterrent. She has a decent skill set, and this will improve as Brock works with her and she competes in practice with and against two of the best interior players in the nation. By the time conference play rolls around, she should be fully integrated into the system employed by the Lady Bears.

Smith has the size to play in the paint, as well. I will be interested in seeing how her game progresses now that she is in a system that defines her roles and works her in specific ways to fill them. She is a real talent, and if she develops as I hope and expect her to, she will be a great asset to the program. I see no deficiency in her game that hard work and experience cannot address.

A wild card in this discussion is Trinity Oliver. Prior to her injury she showed promise, and while on a medical redshirt year, she had time to gain a full understanding of the Baylor system and familiarize herself with the expectations for the positions she will most likely compete for playing time at, an advantage that she will have over the incoming recruits. There is going to be a major traffic jam with this talented squad for available minutes.
There will be no weak links on the bench, this year. Mulkey will be hard pressed to find enough minutes for the talent that she has amassed for this year's version of her Lady Bears.
Bearprof
Setshot - I, and perhaps you, posted in the past that perhaps Bickle should redshirt due to the logjam at the 3. Now that Chou has transferred, do you think that opens enough minutes for her (provided she is healthy) to play next year? There is still Richards, now DeCosta, and Oliver (I think she is more of a 3 than a 2 re: quickness). I believe DeCosta will get significant minutes since she will add defense and rebounding, and doesn't need the ball to make a significant impact. Obviously Richards will either start or play significant minutes.

setshot
prof, your estimate is at least as good as mine in this matter. I don't know whether Caitlin has the speed or quickness that defending a guard requires, so she may join the logjam at the SF position. Didi and Aquira are likely to be ahead of her there, and if Oliver is not suited to challenge for playing time at the SG position, then she is a factor there, too, as you suggest.

I don't know whether or not Bickle has recovered completely from her injury or if she is in playing shape. She has size, a good skill set, and is said to have a very good grasp of the game. The few, short videos that I have seen are not sufficient for me to comfortably evaluate her at this point. I don't believe that Mulkey will redshirt her, but that, too, is speculation on my part. Minutes are going to be hard to come by for at least a couple of players this year. That makes Caitlin's situation a difficult one unless she is completely well and ready for the hard work that lies ahead..
bowdedg
Pale Rider
I expect to see her dominate this year. Awesome.
slimecap
Pale Rider said:

I expect to see her dominate this year. Awesome.
2019 WNBA Mock Draft is already projecting Kalani as a Top 5 pick.
Chibears2
Top 5 would be awesome! A good, somewhat mobile post who can shoot a little from top of key is a highly coveted commodity, as long as she can mentally stand the physicality, and physically handle the up and down the court pace of game. Kalini will have the latter, I think; she has gotten better at the former. Just has to take that last step of going from not letting physical play knock her off her game to responding to physical play by focusing and elevating her game even more... This is the year!!
Pale Rider
Chibears2 said:

Top 5 would be awesome! A good, somewhat mobile post who can shoot a little from top of key is a highly coveted commodity, as long as she can mentally stand the physicality, and physically handle the up and down the court pace of game. Kalini will have the latter, I think; she has gotten better at the former. Just has to take that last step of going from not letting physical play knock her off her game to responding to physical play by focusing and elevating her game even more... This is the year!!
This is the year indeed!
Bone Squad
Chibears2 said:

Just has to take that last step of going from not letting physical play knock her off her game to responding to physical play by focusing and elevating her game even more.
She just has to remember: her momma spanks her harder than that!
Chibears2
Yep!
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
RioRata
Bone Squad said:

Chibears2 said:

Just has to take that last step of going from not letting physical play knock her off her game to responding to physical play by focusing and elevating her game even more.
She just has to remember: her momma spanks her harder than that!

HoustonBear15
bowdedg
slimecap
LAUREN COX

bowdedg
slimecap
August 30, 2018

L-R Moon Ursin, DiDi Richards, Alexis Morris, Juicy Landrum, Honesty Scott-Grayson
Kalani Brown, Chloe Jackson, Lauren Cox
Trinity Oliver, NaLyssa Smith, Aquira DeCosta, Caitlin Bickle, Queen Egbo

Pale Rider
Beautiful and awesome at the same time.
Wow, what a team.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.