2018-2019 Team

27,682 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Eball
Polarbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was thinking same theory, except Lauren is wearing Gold while Queen and Trinity are wearing Green, so I don't think they're trying to break them out into 1st team/2nd team just yet. But my guess is the starters are exactly as you listed them, at least in early season.
ladybears4eva
After watching the video...

I have mixed feelings...on the starters.

Chloe looks ready.
Juicy is ready.
Didi plays defense but isn't scoring. DeCosta is really hitting shots.

Cox is ready.
Brown is slow... but there. Egbo is on. Nalyssa is active.

Hardly any trinity

Honesty looks good in shooting form but her quickness is hampered by the knee brace situation. She was really pushed by the Chloes defense.

Moon lookS more confident. Nice jumper. Athletic af.

Pale Rider
ladybears4eva said:

After watching the video...

I have mixed feelings...on the starters.

Chloe looks ready.
Juicy is ready.
Didi plays defense but isn't scoring. DeCosta is really hitting shots.

Cox is ready.
Brown is slow... but there. Egbo is on. Nalyssa is active.

Hardly any trinity

Honesty looks good in shooting form but her quickness is hampered by the knee brace situation. She was really pushed by the Chloes defense.

Moon lookS more confident. Nice jumper. Athletic af.

Caitlin?
ladybears4eva
Bickle is looking good... just worried about her quickness in that brace...
bowdedg
ladybears4eva said:

Watched Bickle yesterday at practice. She looked really good. Brace didn't seem to bother her much. She's loud and aggressive. I like her!
57Bear
bowdedg said:

ladybears4eva said:

Watched Bickle yesterday at practice. She looked really good. Brace didn't seem to bother her much. She's loud and aggressive. I like her!
Evidently KM does as well, or she wouldn't be at BU.
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
201819 Ceiling is High for Baylor Thanks to Returning All-American and Top Recruiting Class

Baylor is coming off yet another impressive season. They finished 201718 with 33 wins and just two losses, earned a two-seed in the NCAA tournament and reached the program's tenth consecutive Sweet Sixteen.
The 201718 season was highlighted by junior Kalani Brown impressing both at the rim and on the glass, earning multiple first- and second-team All-American nominations. Brown averaged a double-double with 20.1 points and 10.2 rebounds per game. She also scored 1.35 points per scoring attempt, which ranked 10th in the nation.

Fellow frontcourt star Lauren Cox also stepped up for Baylor last season. In her sophomore year, she tallied 15.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. Cox also ranked in the top ten percent nationally in every rebounding statistic, including ranking in the top 40 for defensive rebounds collected per game.
Brown and Cox are sure to continue to shine in the upcoming season, but the biggest story for the 2018-19 season might be the freshmen.

Kim Mulkey added the top class in the country this year, with five five-star recruits, all ranked among the top 30 freshmen. The class is highlighted by two top ten recruits, Aquira DeCosta (3rd) and Queen Egbo (7th). Standing at 6-2 and 6-3 respectively, these recruits add an even better interior advantage for the best rebounding team in the country. Last season, Baylor ranked first in offensive rebounding rate and third in defensive rebounding rate among all Division I teams. DeCosta and Egbo both averaged over 12 rebounds per game in their senior years. Also added in the front court is freshman NaLyssa Smith. The 6-2 forward was ranked as the 13th recruit in the country and is known for her athletic presence in the paint.

DeCosta, Egbo and Smith will all help replace graduated senior Dekeiya Cohen, who was skilled on the glass for Baylor, grabbing 12.5 percent of the offensive boards available to her. However, the bigger question lies in who will fill Kristy Wallace's role.

Wallace finished her career at Baylor ranked third in assists (525) and fifth in made three point field goals (158) in program history. Following her senior season at Baylor she was drafted 16th overall in the 2018 WNBA draft and left behind big shoes to fill at the point. Many were looking to rising sophomore Alexis Morris to fill the role. However, after a standout freshman season where she ranked 14th in the nation for three-point percentage and tied Baylor's record for assists by a freshman, Morris was dismissed from the team in September for a violation of team rules.

In addition to the elite freshman class, Mulkey also added LSU graduate transfer Chloe Jackson, who may fill that role. Last season, Jackson averaged 18.1 points per game for the Tigers and boasted a turnover rate that ranked in the top nine percent of players nationally.

"Chloe was an all-SEC performer at LSU, and she played the off guard mostly, a great mid-range jumperBut, she's one of them that has to learn the point guard position, and I think she's been open about that," Mullkey said when asked about the point guard position at Big 12 media day. She also noted, "Chloe's brand new to our system. Hopefully, she can handle it. If not, we'll try somebody else and just keep moving them."

Another option at the point guard position is Honesty Scott-Grayson, the fourth member of the elite freshman class. She is ranked as the third-best incoming point guard in the country but Mulkey noted that she "has got a little bit more on her plate" being a freshman, compared to Jackson who has three years of college experience under her belt.

Rounding out the freshman class is Caitlin Bickle. She's 6-1, and is known as an elite perimeter player and three-point shooter. Bickle could be a great asset from beyond the arc, especially with the loss of Wallace and Morris' three-point abilities.

When asked about the newcomers at Big 12 media day, Mulkey said, "As you can imagine, it's a lot of teaching. Six new faces, five freshmen and a graduate transfer. It's been a long time since I've had to teach this many new ones at the same time." She also added, "Patient is something we're all going to have to be this year, because they're good, they're talented, they're going to be outstanding players. But they're like all freshmen at this level: they have a lot to learn."

These new faces have many early non-conference tests ahead of them. The Lady Bears face Arizona State, South Carolina, Stanford and UConn all before beginning their quest to defend their Big 12 title. Luckily, they have the guidance of returning starters Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox to guide them. It may take some time, and patience as Mulkey noted, but expect this incoming class to help carry Baylor to another impressive season.

bowdedg
WacoKelly83
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
bowdedg
Pale Rider
Very nice.
slimecap

Off The Boards by Jack Scheuer
November 28, 2018

"Our highly-regarded research department has come up with not one, but five of the most unique names in college basketball, and, hard to believe, they all play for the same team. On the Baylor women's squad are: Queen Egbo, Moon Ursin, Trinity Oliver, Honesty Scott-Grayson, and Juicy Landrum. Juicy wins Name of the Year."
HoustonBear15
I just saw that Juicy Landrum is leading the team in rebounds so far this season with 7.4. Was really surprised considering all of the height we have in the paint.
Bone Squad
It probably has a lot to do with the offensive strategy of our opponents. They shoot a lot of threes, so there are more long rebounds. Also, if they can, they will try to draw our posts out to the perimeter to guard them, which takes them out of prime rebounding position.

Nonetheless, good for Juicy! Someone has to pick up the slack, and she has answered the call.
GarlandBear84
We must have a natural knack for knowing which way the missed shot will come off the rim.
LOTRADER
HoustonBear15 said:

I just saw that Juicy Landrum is leading the team in rebounds so far this season with 7.4. Was really surprised considering all of the height we have in the paint.
Mikalya Pivec, Oregon State, 5'9" guard, is leading rebounder (by a large margin) for OSU. Some kids are expert at crashing the boards from the guard position.
bowdedg
bowdedg
WasheFuzzy
I've rbeen really impressed by Juicy this season. I would like to see her become more vocal but that's just not her nature.

I really think it's time to think about putting Smith in the starting lineup in place of Richards. Richards gives us great hustle and defense but there aren't that many players who are going to beat us at the 3 and we need Smith's scoring. She is money!

And more Moon please! We need for her to develop because she offers a completely different level of athleticism.

And Brown needs to step it up. She is quickly falling out of the MVP discussion.

DeCosta is a star just waiting to break out. Give the girl some PT!
Eball
Bickle 6' 0"
Smith 6' 2"
Egbo 6' 3"

Any body else feel like those official heights are off a bit? They all seem taller than what they listed. Anyone who has seen them or have any inside info care to confirm or deny?
Scottdye
Is everything ok with the Lady Bears? In the past there were postings on Twitter and the BU app about practice, and other things dealing with Basketball. It may just be me , but there just seems to be less excitement about this season. I see no press conference from CKM at all.

I live in Dallas and will be attending the game Monday . Hope it will look like our old team again.
GarlandBear84
I think it is just due to the Christmas break where Kim let them go home. We should win this next game by 40 and then get focused on UConn.
HoustonBear15
Pale Rider
Nice.
Scottdye
I am at the game today. Where is Coach Wilson? Where is Matt?
Scottdye
Also do we know why CKM is not playing Honesty, Trinity or Catlin?
RSBear
I think coach Wilson is expecting a baby any day now. Best of luck to her.
MrGolfguy
Scottdye said:

I am at the game today. Where is Coach Wilson? Where is Matt?
RSBear is right, Coach Wilson is expecting a baby very soon. Matt is no longer with the program - his decision.
GarlandBear84
Scottdye said:

Since they played later it tells me that aren't likely to be in our main rotation and this won't be a big surprise. Kim seems to limit her rotation to 7 or 8.
Eball
GarlandBear84 said:

Scottdye said:

Since they played later it tells me that aren't likely to be in our main rotation and this won't be a big surprise. Kim seems to limit her rotation to 7 or 8.
I think we have some clear insight to this years team and how PT is going to go for the most part.

Starters are Brown, Cox, Jackson, Juicy and DiDi.

1st guard off bench is Moon,1st forward off bench is Smith.

Decosta and Queen will get run at times in most games

HSG might...as well but she seems to be down the roster for now...Injury?

Bickle and Oliver are the last two players in the rotation for now....

The incredible thing is BicKle and Oliver are both very good players. I don't think it has anything to do with their ability to perform as much as it has to do with just how talented the kids in front of them are.

There is no absolute weak link on this roster from 1-12...

I will also point out that with DiDi in essence filling a guard spot and Juicy and Jackson starting the minutes are not really there like you would think for Moon...if Kim needed to sub for one of the three starters at guard she could go with Decosta, Smith or Queen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.