Te'a Cooper transfer portal

60,264 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beardoc
buildabear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per her hoops south Carolina guard te'a Cooper entering portal. Eligible for immediate playing time. This makes 4 at South Carolina.
skilledup
I spoke about this in another thread, but there is about a 90% chance she will be the starting pg for Baylor next year
jdrs
Why are so many leaving South Carolina?
BaylorBears_254
skilledup said:

I spoke about this in another thread, but there is about a 90% chance she will be the starting pg for Baylor next year

Holy ****
buildabear1
You think so, and why. I don't think she plays defense hard enough.
gone to Tickfaw
How do you feel if you are a 4* or 5* recruit that came in as a frosh n your playing time keeps getting eaten up by a grad transfer
WIBear
USCe has the #1 class coming in. Could it be that some of the transfers are concerned about the increased competition for PT? Just thinking out loud.
BaylorBears_254
fujobear said:

How do you feel if you are a 4* or 5* recruit that came in as a frosh n your playing time keeps getting eaten up by a grad transfer

Just cause you're a 4/5* recruit doesn't mean you automatically get PT. Earn it
WIBear
According to a newspaper article, four of the incoming class are 5-stars. After their graduations and transfers USCe currently has 9 athletes on scholarship. So some of the transfers apparently we're in danger of losing their scholarships.
Dcheetah
I have read on other sites she is very talented but may be a disruptive presence. Do you agree? I hate to do anything to disrupt our team chemistry..

Can she defend?
EasyE
fujobear said:

It wouldn't if you were the better player.
Dcheetah
She was a 5star recruit and the #1 PG the year she came out and the #3 overall recruit. Bio said she is a good defender and the best PG at getting to the rim.

Would welcome skilledup's comments or anyone that has seen her play.
Saddle Up!
EasyE said:

fujobear said:

What horrible answers you and BaylorBears_254 gave. This is the beginning of unintended consequences this new transfer free agency is creating. We've all been saying that experience at the college level is what these highly recruited players need, but this can create a situation where an inferior athlete and player gains playing time over a superior athlete and player, only because they are 4 years into the learning curve, instead of only one.

A glib, simplistic response like this won't fly, and God forbid the transfer goes down to a KW type of injury early on, and your top recruit bolted because they can't get quality playing time needed to gain the critical experience they need.
BUbackerinET
fujobear said:

I get the point, and would wonder the same thing at any position other than pg, where we can use some experience
BaylorBears_254
Saddle Up! said:

EasyE said:

fujobear said:

What horrible answers you and BaylorBears_254 gave. This is the beginning of unintended consequences this new transfer free agency is creating. We've all been saying that experience at the college level is what these highly recruited players need, but this can create a situation where an inferior athlete and player gains playing time over a superior athlete and player, only because they are 4 years into the learning curve, instead of only one.

A glib, simplistic response like this won't fly, and God forbid the transfer goes down to a KW type of injury early on, and your top recruit bolted because they can't get quality playing time needed to gain the critical experience they need.

Or they couldn't get quality PT because they couldn't compete at a high level in the college game?

Earn your pt! It isn't given to you because you dominated the High School game.

And btw, transferring has always been around lol, the portal is nothing different than what's been happening.

mimi25408
A South Carolina insider says she is rumored to go to Baylor. We shall see what happends.....
ScottS
https://twitter.com/teacooper2?lang=en
GrizBear
fujobear said:

Until the 2020 class comes in, any 4* or 5* recruit at Baylor would have come in with the understanding we had a 5* budding star sophomore PG in Alexis Morris. Alexis' dismissal leaves a void at PG that can't be filled with a high school recruit until the 2020 class.

Hopefully, HSG will become the phenom at PG that some think she's capable of. Even if that happens, we still need another true PG on next year's team. A grad transfer at PG is ideal for what we need next year, without the problem of having an impact on the 2020 recruiting class.
3rdgenbear
Might be interesting. Certainly, CKM and staff will have done their homework.

Grad transfers shouldn't be a concern for our current freshmen. CKM has proven her loyalty to upperclassmen. All of our current freshmen will continue to develop at a remarkable pace with more and more playing time. Look at Didi and Moon. All of the freshmen have a chance to win 4 NCs at Baylor. CKM didn't load up with a new class this coming year partly to protect this year's class. Perhaps the biggest learning curve for freshmen is learning to play hard defense without fouling, that takes at least a year. Our freshmen saw this year that upperclassmen rarely lose minutes to incoming freshmen. Staying the course and continuing to work hard makes our current freshmen a virtual lock to be the heart of the Baylor team within one more year.
mimi25408
Once again I state this is just a RUMOR.. could be true, could be false.
ladybears4eva
Im not sure about tea. Seems like a stretch. I

If shed leave Tennessee then South Carolina to baylor? Kim is tough as nails.
Jacques Strap
Some google HS recruiting look back stuff for anyone interested. The "mid-range game producer, right-hand dominant " sounds a little like Chole to me. But I'm no basketball guru so take that for what it's worth.

https://prospectsnation.com/player/tea-cooper

Quote:

Quick Scoop: She is the best point guard in the class because can get to the rim better than anyone in the country. Strong, tough and great defender. She led her high school team to a state championship her freshman year.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/137431/tea-cooper

Quote:

John Lucas 40/40-September 2014: Explosive lead guard attacks off the bounce, finishes plays vs. contact; interior passer with court awareness; scorer's mentality, mid-range game producer, right-hand dominant penetrator; deep threat is key to next-level impact. (Olson)

https://prospectsnation.com/story/no-3-cooper-control

Quote:

Cooper, the No. 3 prospect in the 2015 ProspectsNation.com ELITE 60, got off to an early start in her recruitment, visiting both Duke and North Carolina, unofficially, as an eighth grader. She would commit to the Tar Heels the same year, before ever playing a high school game.
gone to Tickfaw
If I saw a pg's WNBA draft stock rise from 36 to 13 or 15, I'd probable be interested in learning under that coach.
BaylorBears_254
fujobear said:

If I saw a pg's WNBA draft stock rise from 36 to 13 or 15, I'd probable be interested in learning under that coach.

Soooo you're changing your stance now
WIBear
If skilledup is correct (and usually is), I am certain that Coach Mulkey has checked her out and feels that she would be an asset to next season's team.
bunation
Saddle Up! said:

EasyE said:

fujobear said:

I understand your point of view. This transfer trend is disheartening. College sports is looking more and more like a profession rather than a place of higher learning. Sad, too, as the preponderance of even D1 starting, successful student athletes will never earn a dime at the professional level. Also sadly, unlike the NBA, the WBNA is incapable of providing its players with sufficient earnings in five or six years to provide for their financial futures either. So, education is the priority, imo, over basketball.

Regarding playing time...All premier programs are loaded with talent requiring younger players to learn & earn before moving into a starter's role. Those who are too immature or less talented will transfer. It's our reality.
CavalryRoadie
bunation said:

Saddle Up! said:

EasyE said:

fujobear said:

I understand your point of view. This transfer trend is disheartening. College sports is looking more and more like a profession rather than a place of higher learning. Sad, too, as the preponderance of even D1 starting, successful student athletes will never earn a dime at the professional level. Also sadly, unlike the NBA, the WBNA is incapable of providing its players with sufficient earnings in five or six years to provide for their financial futures either. So, education is the priority, imo, over basketball.

Regarding playing time...All premier programs are loaded with talent requiring younger players to learn & earn before moving into a starter's role. Those who are too immature or less talented will transfer. It's our reality.
Immature or less talented are not words I would use to describe Chloe Jackson.
EvilTroyAndAbed
bunation said:

Saddle Up! said:

EasyE said:

fujobear said:

I understand your point of view. This transfer trend is disheartening. College sports is looking more and more like a profession rather than a place of higher learning.
It ain't the kids' fault. It's the obsession of big money into all college sports where none of it reaches the actual athletes.
jdrs
Which is why (I guess) Coach Mulkey stresses getting a diploma
HustleBear
Honestly, no disrespect, but get Cooper to Waco ASAP and then have Sarah Andrews waiting in the wings.
ScottS
Any updates?
skilledup
She is waiting to hear back from Mulkey. Baylor is where she wants to be.
Dcheetah
Won't she come in and meet the team and see if she meshes first?
DFW Bill
Look up the reason she left Tennessee, maybe Kim is talking to Holly.
Dcheetah
I saw that and it is concerning. An article on Chloe posted yesterday said she came here and interviewed with Mulkey and saw the campus before committing. I thought she would do the same. Besides our team chemistry is wonderful as frequently referenced by Mulkey in Tampa. I would think they would want to.bring her in first to make sure she fits well with the team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.