Te'a Cooper transfer portal

60,317 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beardoc
skilledup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's before they won a NC
Dcheetah
Do you have anything on other transfers or our recruiting you can share?

Is a transfer PG dependent on transfers out of the program?
skilledup
Not sure. I've been told that they see honesty as a combo guard more than a point though. Which is how she played during her AAU days. I don't think they feel that they truly have a pg on the team at the moment. Similar to this year.
WIBear
Other than Cooper, are there any other pgs that Kim is considering?
LadyBears42
Not quite sure why they wouldn't use Honesty at the point, she handles her business regardless to whether you put her at the 2 or the 1. Yes, Combo guard she is, meaning she's very capable of playing either position. Confused why a small forward would be considered over a combo guard but, ok. Honesty is GREAT given the opportunity, she has and always will be dominant when invested in. She was #1 overall in her class until politics began moving her out the way...

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/honesty-scott-grayson-1-2018-class-prospect-nation.80346/

gone to Tickfaw
the entire grad transfer issue for me brings to mind Aesop's fable of the Dog & The Bone
Eball
skilledup said:

Eball said:

Have we confirmed that all our girls will be back? No transfers out?

This is a great question and it was talk that a few were thinking about leaving.
I just hate having these discussions becasue I love all the kids that come to play for Baylor and I want them all to be successful...but every class has some that for whatever reason just don't quite turn out to be as great in College as their hype and their past AAU/High school success.

I feel certain that Kim is honest with the kids ans shoots straight as far as what they have to do to succeed in her program.

We have examples of kids who have moved on for various reasons...and also some who never really have a lot of individual success who just like being a part of a great program. We have several examples of bench players who are buried on the bench for three years who have success as Sr's...it just is what it is. Transfers are a part of the game and managing expectations is key. For our Freshmen they would have to sit out a year to transfer still, so if it is a playing time issue they would have to think long and hard about their chances to play more for us as sophomores at BU v sitting a year at a new place and hoping that they will have greater opportunities at a new program a year later....of course it is likely while they would go to a good program they would probably stop short of going to an elite program becasue of a fear of getting caught up in a numbers game at the new school with elite level talented teammates just like at Baylor.

I hope all our kids stay and that they all improve with hard work and earn opportunities for additional playing time.

We need a bench...having 12 was great as compared to the year before with 9 it is difficult to manage playing time but it is a luxury to have the bodies available.
LadyBears42
LadyBears42
I don't think anyone of our kids are Hyped up players....GREAT rebuttal though. Some of these great players are just not the chosen ones so, you get the OLD..."oh they're not as good in college as they were in high school"...EVERY single kid recruited (no matter what university they go to) come in raw. If they're not successful within a program it's most likely because they weren't invested into, to become greater. IE: all these transfers start off in other programs receiving the same "oh they were good in high school but not good in college" 4 or 5 years later, 3 different schools later, "their the best." Huh!!! Come on, it all boils down to the program pushing, teaching and investing in what they have. Some schools take the time to do it and some just want instant gratification. And I get it, this is a business, but don't defame a player's ability because they may not be the chosen one or ones.
Eball
LadyBears42 said:

I don't think anyone of our kids are Hyped up players....GREAT rebuttal though. Some of these great players are just not the chosen ones so, you get the OLD..."oh they're not as good in college as they were in high school"...EVERY single kid recruited (no matter what university they go to) come in raw. If they're not successful within a program it's most likely because they weren't invested into, to become greater. IE: all these transfers start off in other programs receiving the same "oh they were good in high school but not good in college" 4 or 5 years later, 3 different schools later, "their the best." Huh!!! Come on, it all boils down to the program pushing, teaching and investing in what they have. Some schools take the time to do it and some just want instant gratification. And I get it, this is a business, but don't defame a player's ability because they may not be the chosen one or ones.

I honestly have no clue why my post offends you in any way. It was not intended to at all. It was one of our greatest teams as far as chemistry so surely those freshmen want to come back and earn more playing time. That is what I hope and believe. However we live in a different time and a lot of kids expect it all right away have no idea as to all our players mindsets but sure they all competitive
Malbec
Eball said:

LadyBears42 said:

I honestly have no clue why my post offends you in any way. It was not intended to at all. It was one of our greatest teams as far as chemistry so surely those freshmen want to come back and earn more playing time. That is what I hope and believe. However we live in a different time and a lot of kids expect it all right away have no idea as to all our players mindsets but sure they all competitive
Yeah, that was a really weird response to your post, and a pollyanna approach to trying to explain away a failure to develop to meet competition.
LadyBears42
Your response doesn't offend me, nothing offends me. It's just a simple response and my opinion on watching how all universities handle recruits. Nothing more, nothing less.
LadyBears42
You have a great day.
Dcheetah
Ladybears,
You seem to know Honesty well. Some questions please. How much has the injury/brace affected her quickness and speed? What kind of defender was she pre-injury? Is she more interested in playing 1 or 2? Thanks!
WIBear
ChapBear said:

I watched the sc game again and I was not impressed with her effort. Moon, Trinity and Honesty all have more upside. What we need is a big to give to us more depth down low. I love our current chemistry and don't want to risk the chance to further develop our he talent we currently have at guard and don't want to discourage any great recruits that N.C. teams can attract.

I don't know if we should use the Baylor game to assess her abilities as a point guard. We make a lot of opponents look bad.
Dcheetah
Te'a had her best stats in most of their biggest games but certainly had some lower scoring games mixed in. From her stats she appears to be a bigger scoring/rebounding threat than passing threat. Haven't seen her play outside our games though so someone who has would be better suited to comment.
bawitdaball
I'd like to think that if she came to Baylor Mulkey and company would make her a ton better - if she was perfect now why would she stick around - she has growth, and Mulkey is the best teacher to have at the PG position - appears kids are finally starting to realize that. Praying Andrews realizes that soon!
Dcheetah
Andrew's or HVL
HustleBear
Dcheetah said:

Te'a had her best stats in most of their biggest games but certainly had some lower scoring games mixed in. From her stats she appears to be a bigger scoring/rebounding threat than passing threat. Haven't seen her play outside our games though so someone who has would be better suited to comment.
She had more of scoring role at USCe. She played mostly off the ball. Ty Harris and Destanni Henderson were the primary PG's. Which is probably why she's looking at playing PG elsewhere.
HustleBear
Dcheetah said:

Andrew's or HVL
Whoever wants in first. I'd probably go with the in-state kid tho.
EasyE
Dcheetah said:

Andrew's or HVL

Andrews AND HVL.
HustleBear
EasyE said:

Dcheetah said:

Andrew's or HVL

Andrews AND HVL.
That would be even better!
skilledup
LadyBears42 said:

Not quite sure why they wouldn't use Honesty at the point, she handles her business regardless to whether you put her at the 2 or the 1. Yes, Combo guard she is, meaning she's very capable of playing either position. Confused why a small forward would be considered over a combo guard but, ok. Honesty is GREAT given the opportunity, she has and always will be dominant when invested in. She was #1 overall in her class until politics began moving her out the way...

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/honesty-scott-grayson-1-2018-class-prospect-nation.80346/

I agree with you as far as using her at the point and investing the time. I also know that it's hard for programs to invest as much time as they should or would like because of rules during the off season and having to recruit. Programs get a lot of credit for developing these kids to be better, when it's really the kids.

What I mean is the programs are only allowed 6 hours a week in the off season to be with the team. Now you tell me what can a coach do with that? Now their are ways around it, which a lot of programs will do. They give the trainers what to do with the kids, but the coaches can't be there. Geno is one of the best at this. He has his kids make a 1000 jump shots a day. Sounds like a lot but with a shooting gun, it may take a kid a couple of hours a day.

But in the end I agree with you, but I also say it's tough on the staff with the time restrictions.

I also am with you as far as Honesty's talent level. Although I do feel her injuries may have slowed her a bit this year. I was at the game when she went head to head with Megan walker and should have won the game, but the ref took it from her. I told either this board or the boneyard when they were in high school that I would choose honesty over Williams as far as the guards goes. My number one in that class was always Smith. I told the old Baylor board that she was a more skilled version of Joyner Holmes.

At the end of the day I feel she and the lady bears will be fine and I hope that all the kids in all the programs across the nation learn to be patient.......Because if the Bears don't get Cooper I think it' will be Honesty at the PG or at least the first off the bench because she can move around everyone. Without Cooper, Richards and Honesty are the only 2 I could see. Good luck to the bears and that 2020 class will be fun to watch
BaylorBears_254
skilledup said:

LadyBears42 said:

I agree with you as far as using her at the point and investing the time. I also know that it's hard for programs to invest as much time as they should or would like because of rules during the off season and having to recruit. Programs get a lot of credit for developing these kids to be better, when it's really the kids.

What I mean is the programs are only allowed 6 hours a week in the off season to be with the team. Now you tell me what can a coach do with that? Now their are ways around it, which a lot of programs will do. They give the trainers what to do with the kids, but the coaches can't be there. Geno is one of the best at this. He has his kids make a 1000 jump shots a day. Sounds like a lot but with a shooting gun, it may take a kid a couple of hours a day.

But in the end I agree with you, but I also say it's tough on the staff with the time restrictions.

I also am with you as far as Honesty's talent level. Although I do feel her injuries may have slowed her a bit this year. I was at the game when she went head to head with Megan walker and should have won the game, but the ref took it from her. I told either this board or the boneyard when they were in high school that I would choose honesty over Williams as far as the guards goes. My number one in that class was always Smith. I told the old Baylor board that she was a more skilled version of Joyner Holmes.

At the end of the day I feel she and the lady bears will be fine and I hope that all the kids in all the programs across the nation learn to be patient.......Because if the Bears don't get Cooper I think it' will be Honesty at the PG or at least the first off the bench because she can move around everyone. Without Cooper, Richards and Honesty are the only 2 I could see. Good luck to the bears and that 2020 class will be fun to watch

Dropping hints on the 2020 class?
WIBear
Does anyone have any idea when we will hear some word regarding Cooper?
HustleBear
WIBear said:

Does anyone have any idea when we will hear some word regarding Cooper?
Whenever she visits.
ScottS
any updates?
HustleBear
ScottS said:

any updates?
The update is in the 2019 transfers thread
ScottS
HustleBear said:

ScottS said:

any updates?

I looked in there and didn't see anything monumental.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ScottS said:

HustleBear said:

ScottS said:

any updates?

Then you got your answer.
HustleBear
ScottS said:

HustleBear said:

ScottS said:

any updates?

I'm not sure what you want from an update, but skilledup said in two different post that the Cooper situation was just about a done deal and that she was close friends with Jackson and Richards.
Alan Lefever
Chloe told me Cooper is a great person who would fit in well with the team. Chloe said she even recommended Cooper check out Truett if she did come. I got the impression Cooper is coming if she is invited but Mulkey is still thinking about it.
franklin
In the two games against Baylor Cooper had only two assists. Isn't that a concern?
LadyBears42
Jackson will say anything to get a friend in the door. Cooper had confrontations with teammates at SC and Tenn, that's her resume, and I strongly believe CKM needs to reach out to the previous coaching staff and players who had to actually interact with her on a daily basis, to get an accurate description of who she is.

If Morris was dismissed for behavior problems, than why bring in another behavior problem...makes no sense. We should focus on our current players, get in the gym and get them ready. They're no slouches
baylor1984
In Kim I trust. She will do the due diligence necessary to make the right decision for her team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.