2019 Paradise Jam - Tournament Thread

42,170 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorBears_254
Lion82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is easy to see how much rebounding and defense matters. We got out rebounded by double digits and sc shot 52%

I thought the team hung in there and ran out of gas at the end.
WNIT in '23
Malbec
Eball said:

LulaBU said:

I have to say Im very disapppointed in Te'a Cooper's performance overall. I know I was not impressed with Chloe at the beginning of last year so Im hoping she proves me wrong as well. She seems out of control and is very streaky (unreliable) with her shot. Her decision making with the ball is questionable and her basketball IQ at the point is nowhere where it needs to be as a top 5 team in the nation. She has a wealth of talent but is undisciplined with her split second choices on the court. I trust Kim will help her with this as the season goes on.
She was playing her old team so a little extra pressure...however she handled the point guard duties well we had 8 TO's they had 19....we just did not have the ability to go score inside like we have in the past. we were playing three games in three nights and she played a lot of minutes...you are being way to hard on her...
She had 6 of our 8 TOs and only 3 assts. She forced shots all night and was 3-13 from the field. She had an abysmal PER of 1.0. It was a rough performance to be sure. I will be surprised if CKM doesn't get a rein on her but quick.
nein51
When Kim is retired I really just want someone to interview her and write a book on why she hates the 3 point shot. Shooting it effectively would open up the paint which she loves.
Malbec
nein51 said:

When Kim is retired I really just want someone to interview her and write a book on why she hates the 3 point shot. Shooting it effectively would open up the paint which she loves.
I don't think Kim hates the 3. We shot 9 of them tonight, and only made 2.
Wichitabear
I put that right up there with free throws. We need extra practice A lot of it lol. I'm sure Kim knows that
nein51
Malbec said:

nein51 said:

I don't think Kim hates the 3. We shot 9 of them tonight, and only made 2.

Given her desire to play outside in we should be taking more than 9. Any coach worth a damn simply collapses on the post and begs us to shoot the ball. We often force the post rather than shoot. Would dramatically soften the inside defensive pressure if we could/would shoot the 3. Think sort of what Gonzaga does because what Kim does is almost identical to what Few does.

It's not a complaint. Obviously Kim's way works but it's hard for me to think we wouldn't be better if we took more 3 pt attempts, especially ones that are open.
mimi25408
They will never be consistent at the 3 because they dont practice shooting them enough. This what happens when all your backup players are post and there is no go to scorer.
mimi25408
I mentioned that they dont box out for the fifth time. The staff need to get them together.
Lion82
We are not used to be dominated inside. Opponents have not been able to drive to the basket for the last 4 years. Our lineup is small without Lauren

She will be back
WNIT in '23
Eball
How about 11-1 playing in the conference championship game!
BaylorBears_254
We'll be fine come March...Cox is missed and Cooper has to play better, Chloe would've won us that game.

We're missing a dominant player, and next year we will meed one even more with key players leaving.

Kim focuses on the post too much, this is one of the main reasons why I wanted us to land Andrews and HVL, it would've definitely shifted our focus on going through the post so much
blueeyedbear
DJHONSON said:

Being without cox really showed tonight. Mannnnn I wanted them to go undefeated but we will get it right in March!!!
Not having Cox was not the reason we lost - (1) Kim said it last week - "don't let missed foul shots be the reason we lose a game" - (2) You can't score and rebound if your sitting in a chair because of foul trouble. (3) Not blocking out (4) What happened to our spacing in the second half ?? (5) Where did DiDi's offense go in the second half ?? Well this was a woulda, coulda, shoulda game but it also was a game with a lot of teaching moments and I do believe we will be a better team for it.
Katelin has to learn rushed decisions, passes and shots don't end well for her or the team. RELAX GIRL
Since we are undersized in the post against a team like SC we need our 3 ball ladies shoot and hit their 3 balls when they are open - although I give SC credit here - they covered Juicy and Coop very well. Bickel had several good looks I wish she could have knocked them down.
Good game SC - we'll see you later in March I am sure.
Lion82
Kim recruits to her system. Her system has won 3 national championships and has pretty much destroyed the elite programs at Texas, Tech and Oklahoma. If she never makes it past another sweet 16 she has given us more than any other Baylor coach will ever give us.
WNIT in '23
DJHONSON
I'm sorry but I feel like playing cream puffs half the season hurt us a little
nein51
DJHONSON said:

I'm sorry but I feel like playing cream puffs half the season hurt us a little

You don't have a ton of options on that as "creampuffs" make up like 80% of all WBB teams. It just is what it is.
RSBear
Degrate's Stat line sucked. I'm not surprised.
blueeyedbear
mimi25408 said:

I mentioned that they dont box out for the fifth time. The staff need to get them together.
You and I have been preaching that for weeks - "But so and so scored 20 points and got 14 rebounds and had a great game" is the reply. I said for weeks stats do not always tell what is really going on in the game - stats can be deceiving and paint a false picture. You have to look at how those stats were compiled and against who.
You and I both tried to point out a problem we knew was going to bite us in the kester against a good team and it did. We both pointed out that FUNDAMENTAL POST PLAY IS NOT HAPPENING. We were not blocking out and positioning was woefully weak. That leads to unnecessary fouls and offensive boards and put backs. A good team like SC is going to expose weak fundamentals and exploit them and they did just that.
Still, we hung in there and fought and competed and until the very end we had a chance to win it. That is something CKM and staff can build on, but Egbo, Smith, Bickel and DeGrate have to go to post school 101 an darn soon.
BUbackerinET
Do you think we drop lower than 5?
mimi25408
Yep, I knew this would happend. Jumping straight up instead of get position to get a rebound. They are to athletic to not box people out. People keep screaming that Kim has won 3 championship but those championships were won with amazing guards. We do not have a dominant guard this year. Every consistent shooting guard we have transfer or get dismissed. Once lauren gets back we can breathe a little but we are short on guard dept. We do not have a guard that can take over the game at this point.
Lion82
I agree this team would be a lot better if Alexis Morris was running the point. stuff happens.
WNIT in '23
DJHONSON
I say 5????
blueeyedbear
Lion82 said:

Kim recruits to her system. Her system has won 3 national championships and has pretty much destroyed the elite programs at Texas, Tech and Oklahoma. If she never makes it past another sweet 16 she has given us more than any other Baylor coach will ever give us.
I love CKM !!! I have issues with her "system" that is for another day, another post.
What she and that 2005 team did for Baylor after the men's basketball scandal was a miracle, and again in 2012 she and her ladies came to the rescue again after that horrible killing of a men's basketball player and probably saved BU athletics.
Kim Mulkey is a person all young women can look up too and aspire too and she runs her program with the utmost integrity and Christian values something our society needs desperately now and her ladies graduate !!!!!!! I suppose the case could be made that that alone is good enough - but its not for Kim and that's what makes her special.
I still say it was Divine intervention that brought her to Baylor. When La Tech would not give her the contract she wanted Tom Stanton was there with the contract she was asking for in hand asking her to come to Baylor - The rest is as they say "History".
blueeyedbear
mimi25408 said:

Yep, I knew this would happend. Jumping straight up instead of get position to get a rebound. They are to athletic to not box people out. People keep screaming that Kim has won 3 championship but those championships were won with amazing guards. We do not have a dominant guard this year. Every consistent shooting guard we have transfer or get dismissed. Once lauren gets back we can breathe a little but we are short on guard dept. We do not have a guard that can take over the game at this point.
I agree but there is a silver lining - Lauren makes everyone around her better and her presence I believe will settle things down and make for a more efficient offensive production not just for the post players and wings but for the guards as well - and same result on defense.
Coop can be that guard we need its just going to take some time. Remember Chloe had some ugly games early on but she came through when it counted and Laurens presence should open spots up for Juicy to be the sniper she was last year. Jordon Oliver has shown in practice that she has a perimeter game - again she needs time.
I am going to be optimistic and I am going to find the joker that puts a lid on the basket when we are shooting free throws and have a good talk with that person.
gone to Tickfaw
Didi & Juicy are going to have to come with offense every night for us to win - and for them to snag all big 12 honors, as predicted in the coaches vote...

on the 3... We didn't make an attempts until Caitlin Bickle sunk one at 3.25 left in the first half.

The Gamecocks made 3 in the first quarter. So we had to assume it was part of their game plan.

They had no reason to believe we'd do the same.

I often see us needing to take 3's late in the game when we're behind - which isn't much - as some have pointed out due to our creampuff schedule.

Mulkey is one of the best coaches in the country. But to me, her winning percentage always has an * because of the schedules we've played. But she's going to have to incorporate the 3 as part of her overall gameplan.

I was so thrilled to see Bickle get in jack up two 3's, which neither Juicy nor Cooper had done.

Just a pity that the #1 vs #8 and #2 vs #5 in WCBB weren't televised. Says alot.
BU71
nein51 said:

If there is a legitimate complaint about Kim's teams missed FTs and a weird obsession with not shooting the 3 would be two. Nevertheless she finds a way to win soooooooo much.

9-17 from the line
Last year free throw shooting got better as the year wore on, hope for a repeat.
skilledup
Can't have 9 assist as a team. Sorry!! This game was a selfish game and it will continue to be the same if they don't change their mindset. Just my opinion
SirBearALot
The few replays I saw show their big girl just backing over us and knocking us down I can't believe they didn't call fouls on her, Boston that is!
blueeyedbear
SirBearALot said:

The few replays I saw show their big girl just backing over us and knocking us down I can't believe they didn't call fouls on her, Boston that is!
There was a time when you wanted Dee Cantor calling your game - not any more. Her ghost foul call on Moon with ND down 2 in the last seconds and her non calls vs ND almost cost us the game. Same last night. Smith gets blasted into the first row by no less then 3 SC players and she is waving play on, Bickle twice got tagged for touch fouls vs Boston when Boston was hip wiping her and moving Bickle like she's a snow plow. Egbo gets two early fouls that could have gone either way. Really sad to see someone I really respected fall to her currant level.
ScottS
These refs must be biased and not like it when Baylor won the natty.
whitetrash
ScottS said:

These refs must be biased and not like it when Baylor wins the Matty.

I thought that was the title we won in football by beating Tech and IowaSt
willtalk
blueeyedbear said:

mimi25408 said:

I agree but there is a silver lining - Lauren makes everyone around her better and her presence I believe will settle things down and make for a more efficient offensive production not just for the post players and wings but for the guards as well - and same result on defense.
Coop can be that guard we need its just going to take some time. Remember Chloe had some ugly games early on but she came through when it counted and Laurens presence should open spots up for Juicy to be the sniper she was last year. Jordon Oliver has shown in practice that she has a perimeter game - again she needs time.
I am going to be optimistic and I am going to find the joker that puts a lid on the basket when we are shooting free throws and have a good talk with that person.
Often people do not realize the difference a player can make on her team-mates play. The same was also true for Brown. Take her away and it impacts other players production. I always felt that Smith would be hurt the most by her loss against top competition. Smith is the kind of player who scores and rebounds by taking advantage of available space to the basket. She is really not a true post player who creates her own space but rather fills it in quickly when it becomes available. Players like Brown and Cox created space. Hopefully Egbo will develop into such a player.
blueeyedbear
Cox is not an All American because she is 6'4" - she is an All American because her fundamentals are solid - part because of an instinct (a nose for the ball as they say that can't be coached - you have it or you don't), part because of good basic fundamental coaching in High School, part because the skills she acquired in volleyball such as position and timing (you do not have a lot of time in volleyball to block or spike - it happens so very quickly so proper position and timing are critical), transferred to basketball perfectly, part because she has an edge to her (an insistence on perfection from herself and her teammates), an incredible desire to win (some call it competitiveness) and finally leadership by example - her teammates want to play with her and in return she involves all of them in the game - there is no I in team for Lauren Cox and the result is everyone around her becomes better - the team becomes better.
Few have it - Magic, Bird, Jordan, Stockton come to mind right off - there are others but its a short list

Then there are others that never get the recognition they deserve - I call them the "Rudy's" - their the ones who show up everyday with their lunch pail work ethic and by the sheer force of their personality make everyone around them just a little bit better, work a little harder - they are the glue. Because they don't get the minutes, or pile up the states their contribution to the team is often overlook and underappreciated. Make no mistake the great teams have em - ya gotta have em.
I was so pleased to hear Coach McGuyre make a special effort to recognize his Seniors who filled that vital role. It is not a coincidence that the two programs ranked # 1, this years football team and lets not forget the A&T team have these critical components. Its a great time to be a Baylor fan - lets keep it rolling.
BaylorBears_254
I'll say this, I hope Gusters and Andrews come in ready for prime time next year because we are going to depend on those two to take us to the promise land.

I can see Kim going after two impact Grad Transfers next year as well. One at the post and one at the guard/wing position.

As for this year, Cox needs to come back fully healthy, once she's back, she will open up so much more for the team. No way Boston has the game she has yesterday with Cox playing. Cooper also needs to step up big time. As for our other bigs, Egbo and Queen HAVE to stay out of foul trouble.
As for Degrate, im honestly not sure...Im not going to go out on a limb and say she's not going to he an impact player, but Im not so sure about her against top competition.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.