2019 Paradise Jam - Tournament Thread

42,671 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorBears_254
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
FINAL
Jacques Strap
Thanks Brian!
BaylorBearWBBFan
I thought we looked good. They have a tremendous little Hawaiian PG in Molina. She dropped 25 on 14 shots and our guards didn't have an answer. She can really play. Hristova can play too. Didi played tremendous defense on her early, but once she got going she's tough to stop too. It ends there for WSU, while the
Baylor bench put up 26 points.
Heart
Enjoyed this discussion and thanks to Brian
slimecap
Mulkeyspeak phrase of the day
7th grade defense
Wichitabear
No
Wichitabear
Thank you Brian!!!
Malbec
#23 West Virginia in big trouble against Creighton. Bluejays lead by 12 with 1:48 to play.
Malbec
Indiana 21, South Carolina 22 - End 1st

Creighton 81, #23 West Virginia 75 - Final
Wichitabear
Thank you Malbec for keeping us up to date
blueeyedbear
mimi25408 said:

Queen not even trying to box out ..
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYY. Queen has no idea what a 5 player is supposed to do !!! She does not block out, she does not fight for position, she is careless when a rebound does fall into her hands with her pass - if she manages to hold on to the ball.
I thought it was fixed - its not. I don't care if she scores double digit points - she is a triple liability under the basket. Well there is no doubt who is not starting when Lauren comes back - I am not even sure she will be first sub in - I'll take Moon and give up the 8" for someone who has some fight in her or Bickel with her basketball IQ any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
MY gosh the talent is there Queen - use it !!!! But right now its like Motel 6 - The lights on...............
And I see our old defense is back - how many times were we caught running at open 3 point shooters ???
I thought we fixed that last year vs Oregon and ND. Someone please tell me it was just an aberration and we will play perimeter defense tomorrow and Saturday - PLEASE
Oh DiDI - did you see her face when the commutator complimented her on her defense - She covered her initial look of disgust very quickly - very classy but there is no doubt her feelings were hurt - that's OK she will bounce back - the poor gal who she guards tomorrow !!!
Wichitabear
Ok now I'm concerned.
Malbec
Queen had the highest efficiency rating on the court today for both teams at 19.0.
whitetrash
Indiana up 38-31 on SCar at half.
Chibears2
I think we'll be okay. We are better than we were. We will be better than we are. Queen will have a lot of minutes to study on film and is getting a great deal of reps. She didn't get a lot of meaningful live minutes last year, so she is behind. I will also say, after attending this same event 11 years ago, it is probably very difficult to focus after all these young women are taking in. It really seems like Paradise. Getting this first game under their belt will help them refocus on basketball.

I understand the concerns and share them...I just don't think they are as bad as they might seem at the moment.
Eball
We are looking just fine this early in the season and with the young players getting used to expanded roles. I am pleased...
Malbec
Indiana is hanging tough, but Gamehens are starting to lean on them. 44-all.
Malbec
Getting a little chippy now as SoCaro feels some frustration that Hoosiers aren't backing down.
Eball
Malbec said:

Getting a little chippy now as SoCaro feels some frustration that Hoosiers aren't backing down.
A whole lot of energy being spent...bodes well for us tomorrow and Saturday! Boston is going to be the next great thing she is a load but also a freshman and that makes it likely USC will look great some games and poor the next...
Malbec
South Carolina 51, Indiana 47 - End 3rd
blueeyedbear
Malbec said:

Queen had the highest efficiency rating on the court today for both teams at 19.0.
I restate what I said - I do not care if she scores double digit points - she is giving up offensive rebounds that turn into easy put back points for the opposition - that's a 4 point possession swing - two points they get because of an extra passion that should not have happened and two points we did not get with a defensive rebound and a good outlet pass to a scoring transition.
You can not do that against Oregon, Oregon State, U Conn etc. and win..... ask Oklahoma State - take away the second chance points Oregon got off of missed 3's and its a whole different ball game !!
Eball
Chibears2 said:

I think we'll be okay. We are better than we were. We will be better than we are. Queen will have a lot of minutes to study on film and is getting a great deal of reps. She didn't get a lot of meaningful live minutes last year, so she is behind. I will also say, after attending this same event 11 years ago, it is probably very difficult to focus after all these young women are taking in. It really seems like Paradise. Getting this first game under their belt will help them refocus on basketball.

I understand the concerns and share them...I just don't think they are as bad as they might seem at the moment.
Everything in your post is fine except that Queen is not behind she is a sophomore and right on track to be a very good player...she already is but she will get better and because of our past history of excellent Posts we hold her to a much higher standard.

Too much worry so early in the season...this is where we learn and get better as a team...it will not be the end of the world if we lose a game or two early if we learn from them...

GarlandBear84
I haven't seen all the games, but recently saw stats of points and rebounds per minute played and Queen led the way in both or was right behind Smith. Thus she's one of our most productive players. She can do lots better though.
Malbec
Indiana 53, South Carolina 51 - 7:14 4th
GrizBear
blueeyedbear said:

mimi25408 said:

Queen not even trying to box out ..
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYY. Queen has no idea what a 5 player is supposed to do !!! She does not block out, she does not fight for position, she is careless when a rebound does fall into her hands with her pass - if she manages to hold on to the ball.
I thought it was fixed - its not. I don't care if she scores double digit points - she is a triple liability under the basket. Well there is no doubt who is not starting when Lauren comes back - I am not even sure she will be first sub in - I'll take Moon and give up the 8" for someone who has some fight in her or Bickel with her basketball IQ any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
MY gosh the talent is there Queen - use it !!!! But right now its like Motel 6 - The lights on...............
And I see our old defense is back - how many times were we caught running at open 3 point shooters ???
I thought we fixed that last year vs Oregon and ND. Someone please tell me it was just an aberration and we will play perimeter defense tomorrow and Saturday - PLEASE
Oh DiDI - did you see her face when the commutator complimented her on her defense - She covered her initial look of disgust very quickly - very classy but there is no doubt her feelings were hurt - that's OK she will bounce back - the poor gal who she guards tomorrow !!!
You should chill. You've made a couple of patently ridiculous statements.
Eball
blueeyedbear said:

Malbec said:

I restate what I said - I do not care if she scores double digit points - she is giving up offensive rebounds that turn into easy put back points for the opposition - that's a 4 point possession swing - two points they get because of an extra passion that should not have happened and two points we did not get with a defensive rebound and a good outlet pass to a scoring transition.
You can not do that against Oregon, Oregon State, U Conn etc. and win..... ask Oklahoma State - take away the second chance points Oregon got off of missed 3's and its a whole different ball game !!
I think you are just a bit to harsh on Queen...16 points, 6 rebounds, 8-11 FGS, 2 steals and 1 assist. 26 minutes played excellent...as a team we out rebounded them 37-26. they got a total of 7 OR and we had 10 OR

Most of the OR were off missed threes that bounced long...
Eball
Boston fouled out...she will learn she is young...but she is good and will be great...
Eball
IU 63 USC 56 2:50 left
Eball
65-57 2:20
Eball
67-57 under 2
Eball
69-57
Malbec
blueeyedbear said:

Malbec said:

We only gave up 4 Second Chance Points. 4. They got a total of 7 offensive rebounds, 4 of which came on missed 3 point shots. You are complaining about exceptions, not norms.
GrizBear
I think #13, Jaelynn Penn was a big reason why Indiana won this game. She made the plays down the stretch when it was close.
Eball
Final IU knocks off USC 71-57
Malbec
Indiana 71, South Carolina 57 - Final

Woopin'

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.