And the Beat goes on ... in the Pac 12

15,672 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 3rdgenbear
Hairy Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was surprised by the size of the UCLA loss. It looks like the best of the West are Oregon (they play UCONN Monday) and Stanford. Stanford has top tier talent, but are not consistent. Interesting conference!
Eball
No question they are a really good conference maybe the strongest this year but when you look at the teams they all have weird losses on their resume...once again the beat goes on...but they are going to be a mess by the end of their conference championship tourney. It will be interesting to see how their top teams are seeded.
WacoKelly83
Hairy Bear said:

I was surprised by the size of the UCLA loss. It looks like the best of the West are Oregon (they play UCONN Monday) and Stanford. Stanford has top tier talent, but are not consistent. Interesting conference!

I'd throw Arizona in the ring as well. Really good defense and team ball.
Hairy Bear
I agree with Eball, a lot of weird losses in thIs conference.
Dcheetah
Az State is also in there with some good wins since they got Tapley back.
SirBearALot
The remaining schedule for the top 4 teams against the top 6 teams currently in Pac 12.

Stanford has 5 remaining with 3 at home and 2 on the road. ( Ucla,Org.OrgSt./ Az.Az.St.)

Oregon has 4 remaining with 2 at home and 2 on the road ( Az.Az.St. /Ucla.Stan)

Ucla has 3 remaining with 2 at home and 1 on the road (Org.Org.St. /Stan. )

Zona has 3 remaining with 1 at home and 2 on the road.. ( Stan. /Org.Org St.)

There are some inequities in the Pac 12 schedule..

since there are 12 teams, with 2 divisions,

they can not play each team home and away,

So some teams rotate each year so their schedule is the allowed 18 games per NCAA..
Eball
Really good match ups tonight!

Arizona(12) at Oregon(3)
UCLA(10) at Stanford(6)
ASU(19) at OSU(9)

I will go with the home teams to win but would not be surprised to see at least one upset....

PAC12 continues to beat up on each other....
Chibears2
Sure would be nice to see them on TV, PAC 12!
WacoKelly83
Grab a trial membership to Sling. Then cancel.
Heart
Chibears2 said:

Sure would be nice to see them on TV, PAC 12!
We temporarily add a sports package to our cable that allows us to see many basketball games then cancel after bball season. I just have to! It happens to include PAC 12 channels which isn't the reason we purchased but they have been fun to watch.
SirBearALot
yes, and next weekend has Oregon and Org.St. traveling to UCLA and USC...and the following week they travel to Stanford and Cal..it is coming down to the real nitty gritty..
DanaDane
All I've heard all year long on WBB TV coverage is how great the Pac 12 is. I'm gonna laugh in mid March when only 2, maybe 3 of those Pac 12 schools actually make it to the Sweet 16.
whitetrash
DanaDane said:

All I've heard all year long on WBB TV coverage is how great the Pac 12 is. I'm gonna laugh in mid March when only 2, maybe 3 of those Pac 12 schools actually make it to the Sweet 16.

A mile wide and an inch deep. Arizona was a world beater last week over UCLA and is getting pummeled in Eugene tonight.
slimecap
#10 UCLA 79 @ #6 Stanford 69
SirBearALot
Oregon state scored two buckets with only three seconds left to beat Arizona State catch the last play the game if you can on YouTube or somewhere an incredible shot to win!
Eball
South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon top 3 right now no doubt...after that it is getting dicey....everyone else will have multiple losses hard to judge...
whitetrash
SirBearALot said:

Oregon state scored two buckets with only three seconds left to beat Arizona State catch the last play the game if you can on YouTube or somewhere an incredible shot to win!

I turned it off when OreSt tied it with 2 seconds left because I didn't think I could stay awake through OT. Heckuva a bucket by Pivic to win, and she did it without pushing off like Ionescu.
willtalk
whitetrash said:

SirBearALot said:

I turned it off when OreSt tied it with 2 seconds left because I didn't think I could stay awake through OT. Heckuva a bucket by Pivic to win, and she did it without pushing off like Ionescu.
Both teams played tough defense but the last 14 seconds brought on a scoring flurry. Oregon St tied it up with 14 seconds to go Tapley scored the go-ahead basket with 3.1 left. Oregon St called a time out and did the inbounds play at midcourt. They ran a cut play and Tudor scored with .4 seconds left on the clock. Arizona attempted a quick inbounds pass that went by a player and out of bounds, giving Oregon St the last attempt which Pivek his on a catch and shoot. inside the free-throw line. They have run those last plays before.
3rdgenbear
Caught the end of the Arizona - Oregon State game, with Arizona winning in overtime. I must be missing something, they both seem unimpressive. Defense isn't anything like the Big 12. We have 4 or 5 teams that can play at their level and they are #8 & #12. Oregon State should drop out of the top 20 and Arizona shouldn't be in the top 15. They were beaten by Oregon by 30.

This is not the Oregon State from a couple of years ago, but they are being ranked like it.
slimecap
"Oregon State freshman Kennedy Brown will miss the remainder of the season after tearing the ACL in her left knee in a win over Arizona State on Friday night. She started every game of the season prior to her injury, averaging 6.3 points and 7.3 rebounds in 27.7 minutes per contest."

- KTVZ, 10 Feb 2020
Eball
slimecap said:

"Oregon State freshman Kennedy Brown will miss the remainder of the season after tearing the ACL in her left knee in a win over Arizona State on Friday night. She started every game of the season prior to her injury, averaging 6.3 points and 7.3 rebounds in 27.7 minutes per contest."

- KTVZ, 10 Feb 2020
I saw that this morning...so sad...just goes to show that a teams season depends in large part on the health of the team...wish her nothing but the best.
willtalk
3rdgenbear said:

Caught the end of the Arizona - Oregon State game, with Arizona winning in overtime. I must be missing something, they both seem unimpressive. Defense isn't anything like the Big 12. We have 4 or 5 teams that can play at their level and they are #8 & #12. Oregon State should drop out of the top 20 and Arizona shouldn't be in the top 15. They were beaten by Oregon by 30.

This is not the Oregon State from a couple of years ago, but they are being ranked like it.
Actually the Oregon St team from a couple of years ago was not ranked that high. They were just sixth seed in the tournament. Sounds like your post is an attempt to bolster your own conference via diminishing another. Now your post would carry a bit more weight if you did not say that Stanford was the # 1 team in the Pac 12. Shows your ignorance. They have not been the number one team in some time. Stanford is a weird team. They can play good one game and like garbage the next. Young team and it shows. Oregon beat them by 32 pts. You never know what to expect from them. Everyone that followed the Pac 12 knew they were overrated but had a chance to grow because they were so young.

Oregon St is in a shooting slump right now. When will the if ever pull out of it no one knows. But to say that teams you have only seen a portion of a game in do not play good defense is really a stretch. It sounds more like a rationalization. You also seem to have forgotten that Arizona beat Texas 83-58. Texas certainly did not do much of a defensive job on Arizona, did they?
Malbec
There's a fine line between a slump and a tendency.
3rdgenbear
Actually, Stanford was the number 1 team in the Pac12 as of my posting on that subject. This thread has been going on for awhile. Oregon quickly proved their rightful stature over the last week or so.

My concern is the rankings are skewed way too far toward Pac 12 teams this year, undeservedly so IMO. These errors can perpetuate themselves all the way to the NCAAs. You don't move down too much when you are losing to ranked teams, as another poster pointed out.

Oregon State lost 4 of their last 7 and is still ranked in the top 15. Arizona State has 8 losses and is in the top 25. TCU is not even ranked in the AP with 4 losses. Maybe someone with some more inside knowledge could explain it or what the justifiable thinking might be.

As an avid Baylor fan, I just want to see our conference treated fairly. It could affect us.

SirBearALot
TCU is good. Should be ranked in top 20.
SirBearALot
Oregon plays at Stanford this weekend!
Polarbear
If Maya Dodson and Haley Jones were healthy, I think Stanford would be a Top 4 team and #1 seed. Without them they're still good enough to hang around the Top 10, but I don't know if they have the juice to win a NC.
blueeyedbear
SirBearALot said:

TCU is good. Should be ranked in top 20.
Agreed
3rdgenbear
The Oregon/UCLA game tomorrow night will be a good indicator of the strength of the PAC 12 since UCLA is the #2.

My guess is Oregon by 25.

whitetrash
OregonSt goes down at USC. Not surprised that on Valentine's Day, with enough smooth moves, the Trojans would eventually end up on top and stuff the Beavers.
Dcheetah
Oregon is smoking UCLA right now. Playing really good D too. They will be a handful if we meet up.
3rdgenbear
UCLA played better than I thought, they got down by as much as 26 in the third but rallied in the latter part of the third and 4th to finish out down by 14.

Fortunately for UCLA, they only face Oregon once this year and don't have to play them on Oregon's home floor.

In contrast, TCU has lost to Baylor by an avg of 14 pts.

Much like the Big 12, after Baylor and Oregon, the rest are very competitive and can win or lose on any given night. Third tier Cal, Wash, WashSt lose more than they win but can play competitively. I believe two of those have lost in overtime to UCLA. Baylor beat WashSt by 33 down in the Virgin Islands.

Though UCLA showed a little more spunk than I thought they would against Oregon, I still believe our second tier teams (unranked) could match up favorably.

Hopefully, a couple more of our Big 12 teams will have a chance to meet up with some PAC 12 teams in the tournament to see how they measure up.
SirBearALot
Ha ha ha ha...I see what you did there.smooth move!
RSBear
3rdgenbear
Stanford leads Colorado by 1 at the start of the fourth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.