Karen Aston

8,641 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABC BEAR said:

Dawn Staley? She is more than a one year wonder and has the ear of every top recruit.
I can certainly see UT making a big push to get her. However, she has a lot of security where she is at. Other than a bunch of cash, is that enough to get her to Austin? I've no idea.
gone to Tickfaw
Karen was a head scratcher, and unsure why she was brought in, Gail G was a successful coach. Should never have left Duke. Austin over North Carolina? Hmmm. Texas over Duke? No.

the only way Texas will compete with Kim is if they bring in Becky Hammon or someone of her ilk... or Geno (you've all said no way);

It's too bad they wouldn't consider the Iowa State coach. Fennelley.

Michelle Voepel alluded in her article to the fact that Texas would never hire a straight MAN.
DFW Bill
Michelle's quote was "is there a chance would Texas consider hiring a male coach again". The first Texas WBB Coach was Rod Paige, not Jody Conradt.

The article details Kim Mulkey's dominance over the Big 12 and Karen Aston's 1-18 record against Baylor.

There is no innuendo dealing with Texas hiring a straight man as the Women's Basketball Coach.
Adriacus Peratuun
Voepel didn't say Texas wouldn't hire a straight male [if Auriemma flirted, they would dance]. But numerous UT WBB season ticket holders have made it clear that they would not renew if a man is hired. They are still monumentally PO'ed about the decision to make the Women's Athletic Director [an equal position to men's AD for over 40 years until the Del Conte hire] report to Del Conte [and give him control over hiring women's sports coaches].

Plonsky was pushed to the side and the more strident folks are still mad.

This hire is the first major hire of a women's sports head coach by a man at UT since pre-1975 [when UT hired Donna Lopiano as Women's Sports AD]. Can't see Del Conte hiring a man without a huge blowup. He has to know it. The crowd that supported Conradt and Aston is not quiet about their expectations.

Hammon is the name bouncing around. But if betting, my $ would be on Niele Ivey.

DFW Bill
Becky Hammon wants to be an NBA Coach, Ivey would be a great choice in my opinion, she checks all the boxes. Her background is super.

74Bear
If Hammon wants an NBA futere, likely would not leave. UT won't pay for Schaefer or Walz. A. Barnes at Arizona is one the UT fans seem to like...good coach and right price.
gone to Tickfaw
DFW. You're right. That was on the HornFans board, I believe, or maybe RebKell. Sorry.
PartyBear
There is a story on ESPN right now that this did have to do with not being able to compete with Baylor (the Beast if the XII) we are called in the article. I didn't realize they were 1-18 against us under Aston. Here record was excellent overall.

Edit: just saw someone mentioned this article already.
DFW Bill
Aston was 184-83 overall in 8 seasons, 6 NCAA appearances, one elite 8, 3 sweet 16's, averaged 23 wins a year, not good enough for Del Conte. Not a good time to try and hire a new coach. Most successful coaches will want to stay where they are right now. Be happy, don't worry. Good advice today.

One of the coaches likely under consideration is Reagan Pebley at TCU, DelConte hired her. She has improved the program, but is 0-13 against Baylor.
bawitdaball
LIB,MR BEARS said:

ABC BEAR said:

Dawn Staley? She is more than a one year wonder and has the ear of every top recruit.
I can certainly see UT making a big push to get her. However, she has a lot of security where she is at. Other than a bunch of cash, is that enough to get her to Austin? I've no idea.

I believe she went to school at SC and has a statue on campus of her. Doubt she can be torn away from an environment like that.
Malbec
bawitdaball said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

ABC BEAR said:

I believe she went to school at SC and has a statue on campus of her. Doubt she can be torn away from an environment like that.
Virginia.
Lone Star
74Bear said:

If Hammon wants an NBA futere, likely would not leave. UT won't pay for Schaefer or Walz. A. Barnes at Arizona is one the UT fans seem to like...good coach and right price.
Barnes would be a tough sell. Coaching at her alma mater, good start to her coaching career and coaching in what is right now the best conference in womens basketball. Can't think of many places she would want to coach at other then Arizona.
74Bear
I agree, but UT would likely pay a lot more than Arizona.
TechDawgMc
So Aston's winning pct was 69% but 73% in games against people other than Baylor. For more than 250 games, that's a big difference.
ABC BEAR
bawitdaball said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

ABC BEAR said:

Good points. She's building a dynasty there and wouldn't leave for another job any more than Kim would.
Born_A_Bear
bawitdaball said:

At Texas you have to be part of the community - they need to find someone who wants that and wants to make the program their own. .

So UT wants a Kim Mulkey cloane?
bawitdaball
Malbec said:

bawitdaball said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

ABC BEAR said:

Virginia.
You right. Not sure why my mind had her playing college ball at SC.
historian
bawitdaball said:

She wasn't let go because she couldn't beat Kim. Likely she is being let go because she is no longer recruiting to the high-level Texas expects, is losing out on the recruiting battles, and hasn't been able to get butts in the seats. She has a reputation for doing less with more and that isn't how the Texas program wants to be seen. I've worked for the university athletic department for years and it wouldn't surprise me if they hire a mid-major up and comer who is younger, hungry, and personable. Neither Gail or Karen had that fire under their belly, and neither of them was super involved in the community. At Texas you have to be part of the community - they need to find someone who wants that and wants to make the program their own. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have a list of three or four that they are interested in. I just feel it won't be the big name, but likely one that is highly respected within the field.
Her record against Mulkey may not be the only reason but it's probably one of the biggest.

Per espn's article on the subject:
Quote:

"Aston, who was 184-83 as the Longhorns' head coach, made four straight Sweet 16 appearances in the 2014-17 seasons, and went 31-5 and made the Elite Eight in 2016-16 season.

"But Aston was was 32-47 against AP Top 25 teams and was just 1-18 against Baylor, which won a national championship last season. Texas finished this season with a 19-11 record and a third-place finish in the Big 12, going 11-7. It was the Longhorns' worst record since Aston's first season, when she went 12-18."
https://www.espn.com/espn/print?id=28991696
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.