When will new asst coaches be announced?

36,411 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUatbirth
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jpbu152001 said:

So Arkansas just announced a new assistant not named messer. Does that mean she is not going there?

Draw your own conclusions.
Fred Barber
Jpbu152001
I saw that and did think, well she is going to LsU but it doesn't mean she is for sure gone. Also it hasn't been announced by LSU. With us planning on announcing early this week and with the other new assistant coach being a more post coach (per the interview with someone today) it made me wonder if there was a possibility of Messer staying. It might be all wishful thinking but once Arkansas was filled it made me hopeful.
Old300Bear
Mulkey said in her Hall of Fame press conference on Friday that all of her staff but one would be joining her.
I was pretty surprised because I read on here that Sytia didn't like Kim and wasn't going.
Fred Barber
blackie
First thing the fans need is to get her name correct....Collen.
blackie
Old300Bear said:

Mulkey said in her Hall of Fame press conference on Friday that all of her staff but one would be joining her.
I was pretty surprised because I read on here that Sytia didn't like Kim and wasn't going.
Mulkey may have told her that after 5 years she will have a good shot and LSU be encouraged by Mulkey to take over the program when Mulkey retires. Then LSU can pour the money back into football.
BaylorRocks
Messer and Brock will not be on staff. I started sharing this with you when CKM left.
Anyone who honestly thinks that Nina Davis should on staff as a hands-on player coaching assistant is simply D-I P5 basketball stupid.
Anyone who actually believed Mack when he said that the program budget would remain the same.....well....see point above.
The fact that it is taking this long to round out the assistant coaching staff is NOT a good sign or start for CNC, at all.

Let's hope she rounds it out soon and we/they can all move forward with the rebuild.

Sic'em
sicem45
Jpbu152001 said:

I saw that and did think, well she is going to LsU but it doesn't mean she is for sure gone. Also it hasn't been announced by LSU. With us planning on announcing early this week and with the other new assistant coach being a more post coach (per the interview with someone today) it made me wonder if there was a possibility of Messer staying. It might be all wishful thinking but once Arkansas was filled it made me hopeful.
Kim hasn't announced her staff because she is having difficulty filling some spots. A couple of coaches have already turned down the job at LSU.
ScottS
Why would we not make a big effort to get Messer? Clearly she is a recruiter with access to some current d1 players.
Old300Bear
If you go by who was at the Hall of Fame dinner, Kim only has one coach (Brock) and one support staff (Mackenzie) to replace. The latter is pretty much an entry level position that they can get easily. Brock's replacement is a different matter.
Fred Barber
slimecap
What are contract dates for Baylor assistant coaches?
1. July 1-June 30?
2. Sept 1-Aug 31?
3. Other?
Thanks !
blackie
ScottS said:

Why would we not make a big effort to get Messer? Clearly she is a recruiter with access to some current d1 players.
What says we have or have not? There are many people where throwing money at them doesn't move the needle. They have their own ideas of where and how they want to work and live. When will people here figure that out?
HoustonBear15
Bear2019
Outside of his twitter page, I can't find anything on him. Is he a ghost? Maybe we can order an FBI background check on him and see what we get.

(Pat Neff basement chatter....."You're being mean, cuz he's a really nice guy. He loves warm puppies. And he's within budget.")
Dcheetah
Chelsea Lyles might be one to watch for recruiting - at FGCU. Zhe was recruiting coordinator for FGCU for 5 yrs and knows Florida and the South. No inside info but she is followed by CNC and TC - maybe just for their old coaching days.

Sytia still listed as BU.

Brandi Poole is Asst with Connecticut Sun and follows our coaches and new AD M. Motta and several past and current players. She is supposed to be an administrative wizard.
4th and Inches
Caddywampus said:

Outside of his twitter page, I can't find anything on him. Is he a ghost? Maybe we can order an FBI background check on him and see what we get.

(Pat Neff basement chatter....."You're being mean, cuz he's a really nice guy. He loves warm puppies. And he's within budget.")
looks like he is Collen's "Johnny Derrick" senior level non coaching support staff
Bear2019
4th and Inches said:

Caddywampus said:

looks like he is Collen's "Johnny Derrick" senior level non coaching support staff
Oh!....Okay, so he's a State Farm agent. Got it. That will come in handy if the team school bus runs into a Volvo. Because they sure as heck won't be flying charter much longer.
BaylorRocks
HoustonBear15 said:

Director of Women's Basketball Operations at Dartmouth College, past 8 years.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-motta-a598134a/

This is a Mack hire.

Sic'em
allstate2000
Messer changed her Twitter bio recently and it no longer says Baylor WBB like it did
BUatbirth
CNC has one assistant coach and the two assistant ADs on staff. What hires are we waiting on? I kinda don't think CNCs staff will be as large as previous...right?
slimecap
BUatbirth said:

CNC has one assistant coach and the two assistant ADs on staff. What hires are we waiting on? I kinda don't think CNCs staff will be as large as previous...right?
2 assistant coaches.
In a 21 May 2021 Fox 44 News interview
CNC stated that the timeline for announcement should be "Midweek next week."
Other support staff positions have also not been named.
Adriacus Peratuun
For those wondering why the process is taking some time:

1) assistant coaches often have retention bonuses in their contracts. Stay to a certain point [normally tied to the end of a school year] and earn that year's bonus. Leave early, no bonus. That issue is why Baylor's former staff remained in place. That issue is likely why one [or more] of the two AC spots has remained open. With the recruiting dead period, there was zero harm in letting the coach earn their bonus at their old job before moving to Baylor. And Collen has been clear that one hire impacts other hires [balanced staff]. Think that one hire is the key log that allows all of the other hires to move forward].

2) budget. Often coaches want a signing bonus to replace a lost retention bonus. By waiting, $ saved. The staff needs a maximum recruiting budget to "catch up" on 2022 recruiting. Savings elsewhere help.

3) don't be shocked if at least 1 of the hires brings a player with them. In OTT world, hiring will now have a "player bonus" attribute.
BUBBFAN
Adriacus Peratuun said:

1) assistant coaches often have retention bonuses in their contracts. Stay to a certain point [normally tied to the end of a school year] and earn that year's bonus. Leave early, no bonus. That issue is why Baylor's former staff remained in place. That issue is likely why one [or more] of the two AC spots has remained open. With the recruiting dead period, there was zero harm in letting the coach earn their bonus at their old job before moving to Baylor. And Collen has been clear that one hire impacts other hires [balanced staff]. Think that one hire is the key log that allows all of the other hires to move forward].

2) budget. Often coaches want a signing bonus to replace a lost retention bonus. By waiting, $ saved. The staff needs a maximum recruiting budget to "catch up" on 2022 recruiting. Savings elsewhere help.

3) don't be shocked if at least 1 of the hires brings a player with them. In OTT world, hiring will now have a "player bonus" attribute.
I like this post. Some of the panic on this board is premature. Let's see what things look like in July.
BUatbirth
BUBBFAN said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

I like this post. Some of the panic on this board is premature. Let's see what things look like in July.
Yes, thanks AP
slimecap

Working on my list of cute coffee shops on the road
for the cities and towns of the Big 12 conference
historian
The only one of those cities I know anything about coffee houses is Austin & it has been awhile. However, the city has bunches (not counting chains). A really good one is on the river not too far up river from downtown: Mozart's on Lake Austin Drive. In North Austin It's a Grind is pretty good too. It's on 734.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUatbirth
slimecap said:

Working on my list of cute coffee shops on the road
for the cities and towns of the Big 12 conference
Burgie's, Ames Iowa
BaylorBearWBBFan
I saw it reported that her next hire is from the high school ranks. No idea who it is.
IowaBear
The fiance is a huge fan. Not a coffee guy myself but she swears by it
Bear2019
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

I saw it reported that her next hire is from the high school ranks. No idea who it is.
Mack shared recently that Collen is talking to both High school and AAU coaches. She should have some new hires announced in the next few days.
BUatbirth
Caddywampus said:

BaylorBearWBBFan said:

Mack shared recently that Collen is talking to both High school and AAU coaches. She should have some new hires announced in the next few days.
Correct Caddy. Craig Smoak just posted the "cliff notes" of Mack's interview.....

"The potential staff additions are a select group, but there's a much broader group of references, HS coaches in the state, AAU coaches, etc., to talk with about potential candidates."

Sounds less about hiring HS/AAU coaches and more about using them as references. Said CNC would like it done by the end of the week...may take a day or two longer.
TxRainMkr
When Bill Brock was hired as a Baylor assistant, having Sheila Lambert come with him sure was a big prize for us.
blueeyedbear
TxRainMkr said:

When Bill Brock was hired as a Baylor assistant, having Sheila Lambert come with him sure was a big prize for us.
he brought 3 with him
DanaDane
Any chance she can find an assistant who can bring, oh......let's say, 5 or 6 players with her/him?
BaylorRocks
If 2 Star would stop micro-managing and requiring that he make the decision on everything athletics, perhaps CNC could get her staff together and start building something. 2 Star IS the problem peeps......

#FireMackRhoades

Sic'em
BUatbirth
DanaDane said:

Any chance she can find an assistant who can bring, oh......let's say, 5 or 6 players with her/him?
A bundle hire...I like it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.