Oklahoma State's Ja'Mee Asberry

24,504 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dcheetah
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
ImwithBU said:

robby44 said:

sicem45 said:

robby44 said:

sicem45 said:

We upgraded over Moon! Well done Nicki

Upgraded how?
She's a better shooter than Moon and more talented. Moon was a good player though.

Mark my words, Nicki will bring in better talent than Kim.

Hilarious

This is an asinine statement. Nicki might recruit good, but she has to win 3 national championships before I would even put her in the same room as Mulkey
I don't see anywhere in that statement where coaching is talked about. His post concerned recruiting and she's off to a decent start and more could be coming soon.
IowaBear
Actually he's bashed Kims coaching plenty. I have yet to see a post of his that wasn't shade at former staff/players.
IowaBear
Making post like "we upgraded our coach" "the former staff is going to struggle mightily to recruit" "Kim will be lucky to crack the top 4 in the SEC" "recruits don't want to play for Kim" are all asinine statements. All made by the exact same poster sicem45. I'm as ready as anyone to see CNC be successful and keep the train rolling but those kind of posters are hilarious takes at best.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
IowaBear said:

Actually he's bashed Kims coaching plenty. I have yet to see a post of his that wasn't shade at former staff/players.
Where in that post was it mentioned about coaching?

Brian Ethridge
Staff
IowaBear said:

Making post like "we upgraded our coach" "the former staff is going to struggle mightily to recruit" "Kim will be lucky to crack the top 4 in the SEC" "recruits don't want to play for Kim" are all asinine statements. All made by the exact same poster sicem45. I'm as ready as anyone to see CNC be successful and keep the train rolling but those kind of posters are hilarious takes at best.
Call those out on those threads then. I saw the first one and 45 was roasted for it, but didn't see the others.
sicem45
Nicki will have to prove herself obviously but she is off to a great start. She is on the trail busting her butt off and is connecting well with her new team.

Lots to be excited about IMO
BUbackerinET
Ya never know, she may. Certainly a bold statement, but we have no reason to doubt it at this point.
IowaBear
Now there's a post I agree with you on!! Asberry is a great start and a need
BUbackerinET
Time will tell, I have lived a long successful life, and have seen a lot of coaches out perform expectations. Whose to say CNC will not be one of them, and become the next Geno, or Pat? Nobody knows how this will ultimately end up. Why wish for or expect anything less?
DanaDane
nm. asked to remove.
Lion82
sicem45 said:

robby44 said:

sicem45 said:

We upgraded over Moon! Well done Nicki

Upgraded how?
She's a better shooter than Moon and more talented. Moon was a good player though.

Mark my words, Nicki will bring in better talent than Kim.

Some get criticized on here for being critical of cnc before she has coached 1 game at Baylor. The real dumba$$es are the ones who criticize Kim's record at Baylor. 3 nc's, 11 straight big 12 titles and 12 straight sweet 16's. Imagine the idiots that think anyone can do better than that?
Wbbfan29
Dammit why do we keep turning every post in to a comparison. I think ima give this board a rest.
MrGolfguy
Wbbfan29 said:

Dammit why do we keep turning every post in to a comparison. I think ima give this board a rest.
Please come back when the season starts, your input is very valuable
setshot
Neither Mulkey nor Collen need to be defended at this point. Kim has proven her quality over and again and is deservedly in the Hall of Fame. Collen has barely started to assemble her own recruits and has yet to field a Baylor team against anyone. Mulkey will do well at LSU and Collen will do well at Baylor, but comparisons, fairly or not, will be inevitable. They just should not be made now.
Dcheetah
Please keep posting and use the block function if you you have to. Makes reading lot easier.
Dcheetah
DP
BUbackerinET
Exactly, this. We haven't seen a game or even a practice, and she just got her first recruit, and a pretty darn good one at that. Let's just give her a LITTLE time and space and see where we go. I was not a big fan of this hire initially, but she has convinced most of the team to stay, and is working hard at recruiting, so that shows me something about her desire. I'm cautiously optimistic this will play out well for us.
Adriacus Peratuun
Lion82 said:

Some get criticized on here for being critical of cnc before she has coached 1 game at Baylor. The real dumba$$es are the ones who criticize Kim's record at Baylor. 3 nc's, 11 straight big 12 titles and 12 straight sweet 16's. Imagine the idiots that think anyone can do better than that?

Geno Auriemma & Pat Summitt say hello.
mcleod66
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Well played
Bone Squad
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

This strikes me as misguided rebuttal. Yes, as a direct answer to the question, sure, those two fit the bill. But do you not see that it also just drives the point of the question home?

With all the odd Mulkey bashing that's gone on around here of late, it's more than fair to push back by citing her accomplishments. When you suggest that the original bashing was warranted after all on the basis that she doesn't measure up to the 2 most legendary coaches in the history of the game, that's just a concession that she belongs in the elite stratosphere of coaches.

You wouldn't go around saying that Tchaikovsky was a dime-a-dozen composer because Beethoven also lived, would you?

(Don't anyone try to put words in my mouth about Coach Collen. I'm an independent party when it comes to predicting how she'll turn out, while hoping for the best. Some don't seem to grasp that you can support her without tearing Coach Mulkey down at the same time.)
BUbackerinET
We are all independent parties at this point. She hasn't coached a practice or a game, YET
baylor1984
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

The two greatest women's coaches of all time. Both also coached at places that were much easier to recruit to than Baylor.
Adriacus Peratuun
baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

The two greatest women's coaches of all time. Both also coached at places that were much easier to recruit to than Baylor.

Easier to recruit, laughable.

Simply using UConn (Tennessee is similar):

California-Taurasi & Samuelson
Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
West Virginia - Montgomery
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

Almost all (almost) of Baylor's top players are from Texas or surrounding states. UConn recruits nationally and the internationally.

And they play in bad conferences.

Care to rethink that comment?

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

Almost all (almost) of Baylor's top players are from Texas or surrounding states. UConn recruits nationally and the internationally.

Care to rethink that comment?
UConn is also in the buttass cold of the Northeast and he has made it easy to recruit to, not the other way around.
Dcheetah
They also have ESPN to buttress them too showcasing them nonstop and that was-is a huge benefit no one else had-has.
baylor1984
Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

Has nothing to do with geography but more about how the Universities look at sexual preferences.
Adriacus Peratuun
baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

Has nothing to do with geography but more about how the Universities look at sexual preferences.

Which recruits did Baylor lose due to LGBT policies?
baylor1984
Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

It is and has been used against Baylor in recruiting. As to specific players I have no specific inside knowledge of that information.
Adriacus Peratuun
baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

It is and has been used against Baylor in recruiting. As to specific players I have no specific inside knowledge of that information.

Without a single data point and given your statement that the policy is the basis of your conclusion, exactly how do you make the intellectual leap regarding causation?
mcleod66
baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Texas - Jefferson
Nevada- Williams
Missouri - Collier
Georgia - Moore
Pennsylvania - Cash
Russia - Abrasimova
Canada- Nurse

Oh please, give that one up.
Jpbu152001
Well as a gay women who was and is in the sports world and attended Baylor it does come into play with some recruits. Is it enough to significantly decrease our recruiting maybe not. Some can realize that the talking heads of Baylor don't represent the majority of students on campus where LGBT students are accepted more. This divide has grown significantly in the last 10 year as acceptance has grown significantly on most other campuses. When I was in school you had to hide it at every school, so why not get the best education and play the best place you could. Now you can go easily to a place you can be completely open. Baylor's athletic scholarship use to, and probably still does, contain language that states you can loose the scholarship for any behavior unbecoming to the university and it's Christian Mission. We all knew and talked about how that meant being gay. I love Baylor and I wouldn't want to change anything about my college experience but remember dating and relationships are a big part of the college life. To say this plays no role is recruiting isn't 100 percent accurate. Does it play a large role? To some it might. Put that with more conservative political leanings, which might frown upon a player supporting an organization or movement and again these things are important to some recruits.
This is not to start any political arguments but more to say people should acknowledge it could cause a recruit to feel as if Baylor isn't the right fit for them. I would argue that some places that are the "opposite of Baylor" say like Cal Berkeley find that they aren't the right fit for some students as well.
fredbear
You guys floor me by stereotyping all gay players as thinking a certain way. Degrading to them as individuals, whether u approve of the lifestyle or not. Do all heterosexuals think exactly alike? Bu will recruit well as it has with all types of players. U guys desperate now.
Jpbu152001
Are you replying to me? Surely not as I was a "gay player"! My post actually says what you are saying some will find the lack of lgbt acceptance as off putting some find super liberal campus as off putting. You can't ignore that some will use that as a factor in choosing where to spend 3-5 years of their life.
Adriacus Peratuun
Jpbu152001 said:

Well as a gay women who was and is in the sports world and attended Baylor it does come into play with some recruits. Is it enough to significantly decrease our recruiting maybe not. Some can realize that the talking heads of Baylor don't represent the majority of students on campus where LGBT students are accepted more. This divide has grown significantly in the last 10 year as acceptance has grown significantly on most other campuses. When I was in school you had to hide it at every school, so why not get the best education and play the best place you could. Now you can go easily to a place you can be completely open. Baylor's athletic scholarship use to, and probably still does, contain language that states you can loose the scholarship for any behavior unbecoming to the university and it's Christian Mission. We all knew and talked about how that meant being gay. I love Baylor and I wouldn't want to change anything about my college experience but remember dating and relationships are a big part of the college life. To say this plays no role is recruiting isn't 100 percent accurate. Does it play a large role? To some it might. Put that with more conservative political leanings, which might frown upon a player supporting an organization or R a movement and again these things are important to some recruits.
This is not to start any political arguments but more to say people should acknowledge it could cause a recruit to feel as if Baylor isn't the right fit for them. I would argue that some places that are the "opposite of Baylor" say like Cal Berkeley find that they aren't the right fit for some students as well.
The analytical gap in that synopsis is the lack of data on % of players to whom LGBT policies matter [one way or the other], the number of key schools viewed as aligned with varying viewpoints, and the likely impact of that alignment.

Example: assume 50 top recruits. assume 60% of them decide based on other factors. assume 40% base their decision in whole or in part on LGBT policies.

That is 20 recruits. Now what % of that 20 want a more LGBT friendly policy and what % want a more traditional viewpoint policy? Assume 80% "friendly", 20% "traditional". That means 16 and 4. Assume that 15 schools that are highly competitive in WBB are deemed "friendly" but only Baylor and Notre Dame are deemed "traditional". In that scenario 15 schools are competing for 16 players but 2 schools are competing for 4 players & all schools are competing for the other 30 players.

In that scenario, Baylor's policies are a "net" positive in recruiting even though they might be a negative in a specific individual case or even viewed across the entire recruiting spectrum. Without sufficient data, it is impossible to meaningfully argue the impact.
Jpbu152001
Adriacus Peratuun, I am not here to argue just to say hey I was one of those players could it factor in absolutely, to what level I don't know but to completely ignore it isn't correct. Personally my opinion is it should be acknowledged and then dropped. I guarantee you the coaches are prepared to be asked about it, if not then they aren't prepared. As someone who went thru a recruiting process (nothing like top 50 basketball player) and chose a school a lot of things factor into the decision and some things are more important to some than others. I can't tell you how many people, gay and straight asked me how it was to go to Baylor ( and continuing to support them) knowing I wasn't accepted. When I get a chance to share all the wonderful things at Baylor some can overlook what they disagree with and some can't.
I have students about to begin writing their master thesis and/or PhD dissertations maybe I will suggest they take it on so we can get you data points and quantitative data since data speaks more to you than personal experiences.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.