New Facility

11,622 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bearprof
Processandtrust
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Setshot, I have really valued your posting in the forums and thanks for the response.

He didn't lead the MBB to a national championship or found the coach that won the championship. What exactly did Mack Rhoades do that deserves a bonus for the MBB or WBB championships?

With COVID, money is tight and the three largest spending sports are football, MBB, and WBB. I'm guessing Mack's bonus has more incentives and the potential to be larger with football and MBB. Why would he limit his potential pay by cutting the football or MBB budget? His motive is obvious, but I hope for continued WBB success and that CNC will be able to build her own dynasty with her new system.

Sic em.
SSadler
In the mean time, BU faculty got 1.5% cost of living raises.

Just for those to whom it matters (which I assume won't be many on this board).
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SSadler said:

In the mean time, BU faculty got 1.5% cost of living raises.

Just for those to whom it matters (which I assume won't be many on this board).

Better than being reduced
Cp2310
Exactly. During a pandemic when A LOT of athletic departments were cutting back and laying off Baylor folks got raises. Small raises but raises non the less. That's awesome.
setshot
Process, you made my point clearer than I did. Rhoades rode the wave in the Ferrell Center for both the men and women, and while it could be said that he gave both head coaches what they needed in terms of budgetary support, he was only doing the job that he was hired to do. Bonuses of that magnitude would seem to be less than justified unless he had taken programs that were perennial cellar dwellers, hired new coaches and backed them against the odds, and thus was deserving of more than rhetorical praise when those programs hit the postseason jackpot.

He did none of that, quite the opposite, in fact. He found programs with an abundance of riches in staffing and in personnel, with a stellar record in the NCAA Tournaments, and players whose achievements spoke volumes for the programs. I am sure that it was a contractural matter, but I would like to know what his bonus for the men's championship came to this year, just as a way of comparison. I have long felt that almost everyone associated with big time college athletics is over paid, but that is an opinion without weight and there are plenty of well informed people who think otherwise.
Born_A_Bear
Do you know of any higher ed faculty salaries that were cut?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Born_A_Bear said:

Do you know of any higher ed faculty salaries that were cut?

I was talking about the real world. I know several people that had salaries reduced due to the pandemic. Many lost 401K matches from companies as well. I just don't see 1.5% raise as being a bad thing when most were not in the classroom and others across the country fared much worse.

Just giving perspective if anyone felt getting 1.5% wasn't acceptable.
Born_A_Bear
Higher ed is very different than corporate. Some Texas state institutions delayed increases until January due to Covid, but a cut in pay except for athletic staff would be very unusual. Faculty are usually on contract basis. Private institutions are of course different but must remain competitive. Just a FYI.
A 1.5% increase would be considered very low.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Born_A_Bear said:

Higher ed is very different than corporate. Some Texas state institutions delayed increases until January due to Covid, but a cut in pay except for athletic staff would be very unusual. Faculty are usually on contract basis. Private institutions are of course different but must remain competitive. Just a FYI.
Yeah, I understand that, but there were many who fared much worse.
SSadler
Born_A_Bear said:

My good and trusting friend, Brian. I don't doubt that certain industries had to downsize workforce and salary structures. But as for Baylor academia, during Covid, all faculty were given two weeks after spring break to transform their entire courses from classroom format to online (audio, video, visuals, exams the whole thing).

NO, faculty was not in the classroom, but they were bustin their butts far more than had they been IN the classroom because they had to convert, deliver, and then be available for one on one video conferences with every enrolled student. Quite an increase on one weeks notice to completely recreate their courses--not to mention the added hours from from home assuring Betty and Bobby Baylor (and Betty's and Bobby's helicopter parents) that everything would be OK if students would do as they should anyway--just do their work and log in and be present in virtual classes.
fredbear
Actually, no one's job was the same last year. A terrible year of high demands and transition on everyone from the janitor to the CEO. Thus, lots of retirements this year. On line learning is a poor substitute for community incarnate. And older profs had to jump hurdles to accommodate. Grateful. But financially, anyone who woke up this morning with an academic job should also be grateful, especially if it is a tenured one. Higher Ed was especially challenged and somewhat exposed for not always delivering a sustainable job at the end of the collegiate rainbow. I suspect we will see trades increase and humanities continue to fall off the map. Sad. But true.
Bearprof
Great comments, Sadler. For those complaining about profs getting small raises, let me remind/inform those on this board that those in the business world are compensated far greater than those in Academe. I'm not complaining about that since, frankly, that's life. What those in Academe do gain, and these jobs are highly competitive, is employment stability (if tenure is achieved). In my field, there are probably 20 or so jobs available each year across the country. Again, the entire country and most of them are entry level positions. Needless to say, the competition is fierce, more than fierce, actually. Let's stop with the "those in Academe have it easy" nonsense. If you want a job in Academe, then by all means go back to school, obtain whatever degrees are necessary to make you competitive, not to mention all of the research required to make it through the selection/interview process, and see what happens. I learned a long time ago not to be jealous of friends in the business world with bigger houses, nicer cars, better vacations, etc. Whatever. It's just stuff. We all have a calling and we hope to pursue that to our heart's delight. Let's hope that we can all return to some sense of normalcy, and right soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.