New Facility

11,615 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bearprof
fredbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For all the dust stirring and debating all of us were doing concerning the location of the new basketball facility, the chatter has been silenced. Where shall it be built? Why no forthcoming decisions ? When will it be built? Updated renderings? How much will it cost? Is BU waiting, risking construction costs and interest rates increases? Anyone have answers? Brian?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Waiting on Waco.

Dirt should turn on Hurd Welcome Center soon.
T-REX
fredbear said:

For all the dust stirring and debating all of us were doing concerning the location of the new basketball facility, the chatter has been silenced. Where shall it be built? Why no forthcoming decisions ? When will it be built? Updated renderings? How much will it cost? Is BU waiting, risking construction costs and interest rates increases? Anyone have answers? Brian?
Waiting on Waco to make the required decisions/plans that will enable the new location at next to Robinson Tower to be more than just an arena and rather an amazing dining, bar, and retail center right off of 35 and next to Baylor. it will be built there, just need a few things to happen first.
BBWCBear
T-REX said:

fredbear said:

Waiting on Waco to make the required decisions/plans that will enable the new location at next to Robinson Tower to be more than just an arena and rather an amazing dining, bar, and retail center right off of 35 and next to Baylor. it will be built there, just need a few things to happen first.
So it's definitely been decided that it will NOT be on campus? Just asking, not wanting to start a lathering up debate on it, BU will do what it wants regardless anyway.
T-REX
BBWCBear said:

T-REX said:

fredbear said:

So it's definitely been decided that it will NOT be on campus? Just asking, not wanting to start a lathering up debate on it, BU will do what it wants regardless anyway.
per my sources yes, it has been decided but no announcment until necessary details are worked out of course. But it will be on campus. Robinson tower is on campus. There just happens to be a big road splitting it
BUatbirth
Stefano DiMera
That is campus...and its closer to the dorms than the current arena is...
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stefano DiMera said:

Correct
Eball
So if on campus why we waiting on Waco?
T-REX
Stefano DiMera said:

can never overstate this!
Scout Bear
Eball said:

Whenever a large project is done, the city has to be involved for zoning cases, plat hearings and development costs. Those things require public hearings, usually more than one hearing. Notice time requirements come into play which have to be set. I understand that Baylor has most of its plans completed, but those plans have to be accepted by the city regarding its public property that is involved. It is kind of like building a new house. The house plans and site plan have to be reviewed by the Planning and Zoning people and how it conforms to the overall development in that immediate area. It takes time. It would be silly to go public on what you intend to do without getting the green light from the city planners first.
Eball
Scout Bear said:

Eball said:

Whenever a large project is done, the city has to be involved for zoning cases, plat hearings and development costs. Those things require public hearings, usually more than one hearing. Notice time requirements come into play which have to be set. I understand that Baylor has most of its plans completed, but those plans have to be accepted by the city regarding its public property that is involved. It is kind of like building a new house. The house plans and site plan have to be reviewed by the Planning and Zoning people and how it conforms to the overall development in that immediate area. It takes time. It would be silly to go public on what you intend to do without getting the green light from the city planners first.
Thanks, I appreciate the update...all info I knew from experience but from prior discussions about partnering with WACO and sharing cost and having joint schedules for events....I was under the impression that the other work you mention about permits and stuff was already done and or a formality of sorts since we doing the build on our campus?

Certainly if we just waiting on various approvals from planning and zoning and New construction then we are about done....I also know that building costs have skyrocketed so a timeout might not be the worse course of action....
Proud 1992 Alum
Has it been decided that Robinson Tower will be demolished? Where will those people relocate?
Scout Bear
I read an article today that construction costs for materials and lumber have started falling.
Scout Bear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Has it been decided that Robinson Tower will be demolished? Where will those people relocate?
"Out." ----Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter
BBWCBear
T-REX said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Are there any plans/discussion on a safe option for students walking from campus to arena concerning I35?
T-REX
BBWCBear said:

T-REX said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Are there any plans/discussion on a safe option for students walking from campus to arena concerning I35?
most likely just walk under the bridge on university parks. Cross walk lights are easy to install. And would be no more of a danger than where students currently cross university parks for games
TxRainMkr
While you have had Geno waving his salary and Connecticut with financial troubles, you have Baylor about to build a modern downtown basketball arena. We need to be selling this bigtime to national basketball recruits.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BBWCBear said:

T-REX said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Ninja Warrior course over 35
Bear2019
BBWCBear said:

T-REX said:

fredbear said:

It doesn't matter where Baylor will be putting the arena. They just better get it right, whatever they do. And they better get with it soon. Because down the road about an hour and change, we will be recruiting up against the Moody Center. And it is going to be a monster venue. And it opens up next year. Talk about momentum.

https://moodycenteratx.com/
fredbear
All this information is very helpful. Thank you for your responses.
BiPolarBear
BBWCBear said:

T-REX said:

Stefano DiMera said:

. Zip line
SSadler
I know this thought goes against the prevailing sentiment of "partnership" with Waco, and I know I'm whistling into the wind here, but in my opinion, having worked at Baylor for 30 years and as a university rep on several capital projects involving off-campus funding, this "partnership" with City of Waco is a big mistake.

And though no one can assume to know how this will all go, just the aesthetics (or lack thereof) in a shared facility will be less than BU fanatical standards for "the house that Drew built" (or whatever). As silly as it sounds, consider Baylor fans having to walk past any number of Waco High and University High signages. Those are fine high schools, but Baylor doesn't need to share interior decor with red/white Lions and purple/white Trojans. That's just a simple metaphor for more essential conflicts of crowd usages.

I DO want BU basketball to have a top shelf facility, but if BU can't fund it on it's own, then play another year or two in the Ferrell until more donors can catch the vision. As plain and as bad of sight lines as the Ferrell is to many rabid fans, it hasn't stopped both mbb and wbb from winning national titles.

The location at the Robinson tower site is fine--MUCH more "Baylor" than early projections of further toward Austin Avenue. All of the commercial developments that will surround the facility are fine--from quick burgers for youth groups to shopping for WMU ladies to places for others to liquor up/

But any form of partnering with Waco will be regretted down the road when BU fans get frustrated waiting for Waco HIgh School students and families to get the heck out of the concourse and parking lot so Baylor fans can get in. Not to mention the frustration of having to walk past Barry Manilow posters or Justin Bieber concert announcements. Again, simple metaphors of more essential conflicts of usage.

The Whorns have Bieber headlining their new Center's opening. More power to them. Hope it's a fine, fine evening. Not too many recent national championship banners will be hung there, however.

Build a facility! . . . wherever! Just find a way to fund it without needing Waco/tax-based/state-allocated grants/seed-monies.
Proud 1992 Alum
I think and hope that the "partnership" with the city will be similar to that of McLane Stadium. Meaning permits, basic infrastructure, and some significant funding in exchange for Baylor putting the Fieldhouse near downtown. Have there been Waco-related problems with McLane Stadium? Not familiar with any.
kbrun
I think your point is valid. If you don't own it, you can't control it.
PartyBear
Why do you think Waco and University High Schools will be playing there? The partnership is with the city of Waco not WISD.
Bear2019
kbrun said:

I think your point is valid. If you don't own it, you can't control it.
Hey man, you never know? Actually, Baylor partnering with Waco City taxpayer dollars might open up all types of unique entertainment options. Popular local music, sports and great valued entertainment of all kinds. Just think about it. Where else are you going to get to see great Texas bands like "Buster Highman and the Cherry Pickers" play great cover songs like "A Country Boy Can Survive" and "Redneck Woman" in front of a packed, lower mezzanine crowd. Or Naked Midget Roller Derby. Or LGBTQ Mud Wrestling. It's not like you can say "No!" It's taxpayer funded. Come to think of it...it might be a great partnership for Baylor. I say bring on those taxpayer dollars. Keep that new arena hoppin.' What's not to like? Sic 'em
T-REX
Scout Bear said:

I read an article today that construction costs for materials and lumber have started falling.
I don't believe it will be, at least not from what I have heard. Baylor does now own the building and even if they moved out, I could see it being leased as more business needs arise in Waco for that type of building.
SSadler
PartyBear said:

Why do you think Waco and University High Schools will be playing there? The partnership is with the city of Waco not WISD.
They presently "rent" the Ferrell, along with other ISDs for graduation ceremonies/ Those events all fall within one week's schedule in the Spring. Not a major problem if it's only one week.

But elsewhere I've opined that IF the shared facility is available for non-BU events throughout the year, and IF BU gets in to the posture of leasing out the new facility to aid usage costs, then local ISDs and the Waco Chamber will certainly want to claim and/or rent the newer and better and shinier facility than the Ferrell. Just as the City will certainly want and expect to put its own tractor-pull type, good ole boy events into the facility throughout the year.

In time, just another HOT story to play out in the new facility.

I'm selfish--like a child. I don't want to play well with others in sharing OUR bball arena..

T-REX
SSadler said:

PartyBear said:

They presently "rent" the Ferrell, along with other ISDs for graduation ceremonies/ Those events all fall within one week's schedule in the Spring. Not a major problem if it's only one week.

But elsewhere I've opined that IF the shared facility is available for non-BU events throughout the year, and IF BU gets in to the posture of leasing out the new facility to aid usage costs, then local ISDs and the Waco Chamber will certainly want to claim and/or rent the newer and better and shinier facility than the Ferrell. Just as the City will certainly want and expect to put its own tractor-pull type, good ole boy events into the facility throughout the year.

I'm selfish--like a child. I don't want to play well with others in sharing OUR bball arena..

I pray there are events there every weekend that bball isnt playing a game. Will be a great venue for concerts & other events. Will help aid the economical boom in that area & support the businesses that choose to build around the arena site. The city & other event promoters can use it all they want. Hope it's used for high school playoff games too just like McLane is used.
Malbec
T-REX said:

SSadler said:

PartyBear said:

I pray there are events there every weekend that bball isnt playing a game. Will be a great venue for concerts & other events. Will help aid the economical boom in that area & support the businesses that choose to build around the arena site. The city & other event promoters can use it all they want. Hope it's used for high school playoff games too just like McLane is used.
And in 20 years, it'll be, "We need to replace our rat trap fieldhouse. We can't compete against other schools with this run down barn. There has to be a BMD to splash a lead gift on us for a new facility. $1.3B is pocket change! Get it done!"
bawitdaball
Malbec said:

T-REX said:

SSadler said:

PartyBear said:

And in 20 years, it'll be, "We need to replace our rat trap fieldhouse. We can't compete against other schools with this run down barn. There has to be a BMD to splash a lead gift on us for a new facility. $1.3B is pocket change! Get it done!"

UTs new facility will be co-owner by C3 and the city of Austin - it's the way the sport is going - outside of practice, the facility it used for a few months out of the year. Baylor will have primary use I'd be shocked if any big act ever stops by, and the shared cost of maintenance will take some stress off of donors. But in realty, it isn't that big of a deal.
Eball
So true
Bear2019
Last we all heard, this arena was supposed to be Baylor's new basketball arena. The fear for those of us that know better know where this is likely headed based upon similar situations around the country. And no, this is nothing new...and not "the way the sport is headed." It's about shared revenue with the City of Waco and their influence once they are allowed into the ownership of the facility. For example, take a look at the Hofheinz Pavillion in Houston, now known as the Fertitta Center. In 1967, when the well-intentioned UH alumn Judge Roy Hofheinz and his wife donated the lead gift to UH to have it built, it was his blessing for UH. That blew up. City of Houston taxpayer money got involved and the facility completely lost it's UH identity. Over the next 50 years, that place was pimped-out for every type of event you could imagine. From bull-riding to televangelists to rap concerts. For the City of Houston folks, not a problem. But if you were a UH true blood supporter, it was a pain and a regret. Yes, UH used it for basketball and other UH events...what is what built for. But they lost control of it when they allowed taxpayer money into the mix. And the sad part is, most of the money that built it was donated by UH alumni. But sad to say, off-UH events consumed 90% of the benefit. So ask yourself...."Why is Waco so interested in this arena?" Because they get to use it...and have to pay very little to do so with much of the say-so as to how it is used. And built mostly with Baylor donor money to boot. What city would not love that deal? It will wind up being a Baylor arena in name only before it is over. Just watch.
T-REX
Caddywampus said:

Last we all heard, this arena was supposed to be Baylor's new basketball arena. The fear for those of us that know better know where this is likely headed based upon similar situations around the country. And no, this is nothing new...and not "the way the sport is headed." It's about shared revenue with the City of Waco and their influence once they are allowed into the ownership of the facility. For example, take a look at the Hofheinz Pavillion in Houston, now known as the Fertitta Center. In 1967, when the well-intentioned UH alumn Judge Roy Hofheinz and his wife donated the lead gift to UH to have it built, it was his blessing for UH. That blew up. City of Houston taxpayer money got involved and the facility completely lost it's UH identity. Over the next 50 years, that place was pimped-out for every type of event you could imagine. From bull-riding to televangelists to rap concerts. For the City of Houston folks, not a problem. But if you were a UH true blood supporter, it was a pain and a regret. Yes, UH used it for basketball and other UH events...what is what built for. But they lost control of it when they allowed taxpayer money into the mix. And the sad part is, most of the money that built it was donated by UH alumni. But sad to say, off-UH events consumed 90% of the benefit. So ask yourself...."Why is Waco so interested in this arena?" Because they get to use it...and have to pay very little to do so with much of the say-so as to how it is used. And built mostly with Baylor donor money to boot. What city would not love that deal? It will wind up being a Baylor arena in name only before it is over. Just watch.
sounds perfect to me. Baylor & Waco can finally have the partnership that should have always been & we can finally become the home town team/school that has never been. Sounds like the citizens of Waco will become connected with baylor and thus transform into fans, many of which will have money for tickets and donations going forward. Just like other non-traditional baylor supporters such as myself who don't have an academic connection to BU but are big supporters. There are many positives that should not be ignored
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.