Baseball
Sponsored by

Coaching Candidates

18,160 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 365
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who are some realistic replacement options for SRod? Any Baylor alums out there assistant coaching that want to come home?

Stranger
Art Briles.

Or maybe Kim Mulkey.

Both real winners.
I'm a Bearbacker
BaylorGDub
BellCountyBear said:

Who are some realistic replacement options for SRod? Any Baylor alums out there assistant coaching that want to come home?

He needs to go… dumpster fire…
Iron Claw
Former player Kevin Brooks.
STxBear81
Who is kevin brooks
Iron Claw
Google no workie?
BUBBFAN
BornAgain said:

Who is kevin brooks
Baylor Alum, Head Coach at Angelo State. He has done an outstanding job there.
STxBear81
Thanks didn't know that
CTbruin
Mitch Thompson
CTbruin
Dan Heefner - Dallas Baptist
STxBear81
There probably are some very good candidates who are asst coaches at Tennessee, Miss St and Texas or Texas A&M who would be good. But there are quality choices all over. The ones mentioned above are good. Although I know nothing of Brooks
Ask Mack his opinion. That's the one that matters
CorsicanaBear
So is Coach Rod gone right after the Thursday 9AM game, or do they wait a bit to announce that he and Baylor have mutually agreed that he is leaving to pursue other interests?
Big_Pumpin
Wasn't David Murphy being looked at when we hired Rod? Would he be interested? Or too cush of a job right now?
parch
Timing on it sucks. The two best recruiters in Texas were Chad Caillet at A&M and Dan Fitzgerald at DBU, but they both took assistant jobs in the SEC last summer.

My pick? Tech's J-Bob Thomas, not just because he has the most perfect baseball name ever conceived, but because he's an immense recruiter, knows the conference, and has been in his role long enough to perhaps want something more.

Plus, Tech owes us for Joey.
SSadler
Cooter.

I'm betting he'd make salary negotiations quick and easy by taking only half of what Rod makes.
Chucky38
Hefner turned down the job when Baylor fired Smith
Soonerbear
Got to do something. MAC has done great things with all programs and Steve is think stink in the room.
TeamPlayer
Unless we go with David Murphy, this is who I think Mack will hire.

https://umterps.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/rob-vaughn/2092

Maryland just won the Big 10 regular season and the guy is from Houston. Surely this guy would rather come back to Texas than hang out in DC. Pretty obvious he wants the job . . . I mean he scheduled us here for the 1st series of the year. Not an accident.

BellCountyBear
Any smoke coming out of the AD's office yet?
Adriacus Peratuun
Which candidates have 3-5 legitimate "big arms" and 1-2 "big bats" that they can persuade to join them in Waco?

An overnight rebuild can create the recruiting momentum that has been absent for so long. And selling playing time should be easy.
BUGWBBear
The AD: "We have a baseball team?? Who knew? I'll see if Buttermaker is available!"
Jackson Bear
TeamPlayer said:

Maryland just won the Big 10 regular season and the guy is from Houston. Surely this guy would rather come back to Texas than hang out in DC. Pretty obvious he wants the job . . . I mean he scheduled us here for the 1st series of the year. Not an accident.

While Texas is great, there are other great areas of the country with high quality of life. He lives in Annapolis, which is a beautiful city. DC not far away with a never ending supply of things to do and see (a lot of them free). DC is completely changed from 30 years ago and is increasingly gentrified.
Dia del DougO
Why don't we just take Tech's top assistant and their head of scouting?

Seems appropriate.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
TeamPlayer
Jackson Bear said:

TeamPlayer said:

While Texas is great, there are other great areas of the country with high quality of life. He lives in Annapolis, which is a beautiful city. DC not far away with a never ending supply of things to do and see (a lot of them free). DC is completely changed from 30 years ago and is increasingly gentrified.

UM is in College Park, which is DC, the Naval Academy is in Annapolis. Nobody in their right mind raises a family in DC.
Jackson Bear
The coach lives in Annapolis.
Oldgrizzly
Annapolis>DC. Regardless, my trust is in Mac and could care less what everyone else thinks.
Adriacus Peratuun
Interested to hear opinions:

1) how many candidates apply for/register interest in this job?
2) how many of the foregoing are top tier candidates?
3) how many of that top tier pool get interviews?

Thinking that opinions on these specific questions will vary substantially.
Stefano DiMera
People on this board mentioning Heefner at DBU..he turned us down in 2015 so not sure what's changed except for money.

If Mack has taught us one thing..his choice will be off the radar (Rhule Aranda and Nikki Colleen).
Stefano DiMera
Just listened to a podcast.. apparently 15-20 players threatened to transfer if a change wasn't made.

Multiple sources said an assistant AD was stationed in dugout in middle of season to monitor some 'things that were happening with the team'.

Numerous parents went to Mack to complain about Rod. Not sure what they were.
Nguyen One Soon
Stefano DiMera said:

Just listened to a podcast.. apparently 15-20 players threatened to transfer if a change wasn't made.

Multiple sources said an assistant AD was stationed in dugout in middle of season to monitor some 'things that were happening with the team'.

Numerous parents went to Mack to complain about Rod. Not sure what they were.

Chad Jackson has been in and around the dugout a lot longer than since mid season.
CTbruin
....and in the stands talking to fans.
Stefano DiMera
Hearing unnamed assistants at Tennessee and Texas would be interested..I wouldn't think the Tennessee assistant is Frank Anderson.. current pitching coach and former Ok St head coach..he's 63.. doesn't fit the profile of a Mack hire.

The 2 previous coaches before Rod were each here 21 years so I assume he'll go younger. I'm sure that makes the Texas St guy a candidate.
BearConvert
The answer was and is Mitch Thompson.
BUBBFAN
BearConvert said:

The answer was and is Mitch Thompson.
Yes
PawpaBear
I expect Mack to make a good pick come July.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.