Recession is Coming

8,981 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Golem
Canada2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nein51 said:

Booray said:

nein51 said:

Booray said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I actually thought Stagflation was a thing of the past but it's here. Basically we've recreated the 70s with high crime, social unrest, stagflation, and global warming instead of global cooling.
And all it took was "Two Weeks to Flatten the Curve" and the other nonsense that followed the initial nonsense.
I agree that "two weeks to flatten the curve" was a travesty. Liberal elites knew perfectly well the lockdowns would have to last longer, but they didn't want to risk telling the truth. So they assumed people were idiots and came up with a slogan that would appeal to them. It was an insult to our intelligence and yet another sign of how little regard they have for us deplorables. I don't know why anyone tolerates it.

Also, when I said that liberal elites did all this, I was kind of kidding. It was actually the Trump administration...

We are reaping the effects of irrationally combating covid, combined with reckless spending and applying failed Keynesian economics for decades.

Millions of people are going to lose their homes because of it.

This will make the 2008 recession look like a walk in the park.
Real estate is going to take a major hit.

Told my wife recently to expect a 20% reduction in the value of our properties within the next 3-12 months .

And it could be far worse.

Know a guy who just closed on an 85 million dollar development deal . Thank God it wasn't me.

20% reduction isn't enough. I'm not sure 50% is enough. We saw values rise insanely high in a very short time period because rates were near 0.
If it even approaches 30% we will enter the worst depression since the 30's.

Maybe.

But look at this chart
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSPUS

That didn't happen organically. A 50% reduction in value would basically bring us back in line with less than 10 years ago.
Not sure if most people could even absorb a 20% hit .

Many simply would be foreclosed .

Those with adjustable rate mortgages could be the first.

Home builders are also in for a very hard time....except possibly luxury home builders.

Drop in value does not equal foreclosure. It would equal a very hard time selling (which you're already seeing).

Increase in foreclosures is inevitable btw. People bought at the height of value then rates went up. Lots of people in a position where they couldnt sell if they wanted to.

Reduction in value would make it worse but that is inevitable as well.

It's not people who bought who are at risk of foreclosure. While the value of their purchase might decrease, they got in at historically low rates. Plus the better underwriting following the 2008 debacle generally means they can afford the payments. If they don't have to move, they will be ok.

OTOH, serial refinancers who depend on cash out re-fis to finance their lifestyle might be in a bind.

I agree to an extent. I think you're underestimating how many people move and how often.
That is likely true. But my guess is if they can't sell (or won't sell at currrent prices) they will become landlords.

If you can't afford one mortgage how do you afford two?

You don't make *that* much as a landlord, in general.

But I think we mostly agree

Only way to make it as a landlord is to buy right, and pay them off asap .

It's not about how many you own…but how few mortgages you carry .

Cause that banker who bought your family dinner last year will foreclose you in a minute if he has to .
nein51
Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Booray said:

nein51 said:

Booray said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I actually thought Stagflation was a thing of the past but it's here. Basically we've recreated the 70s with high crime, social unrest, stagflation, and global warming instead of global cooling.
And all it took was "Two Weeks to Flatten the Curve" and the other nonsense that followed the initial nonsense.
I agree that "two weeks to flatten the curve" was a travesty. Liberal elites knew perfectly well the lockdowns would have to last longer, but they didn't want to risk telling the truth. So they assumed people were idiots and came up with a slogan that would appeal to them. It was an insult to our intelligence and yet another sign of how little regard they have for us deplorables. I don't know why anyone tolerates it.

Also, when I said that liberal elites did all this, I was kind of kidding. It was actually the Trump administration...

We are reaping the effects of irrationally combating covid, combined with reckless spending and applying failed Keynesian economics for decades.

Millions of people are going to lose their homes because of it.

This will make the 2008 recession look like a walk in the park.
Real estate is going to take a major hit.

Told my wife recently to expect a 20% reduction in the value of our properties within the next 3-12 months .

And it could be far worse.

Know a guy who just closed on an 85 million dollar development deal . Thank God it wasn't me.

20% reduction isn't enough. I'm not sure 50% is enough. We saw values rise insanely high in a very short time period because rates were near 0.
If it even approaches 30% we will enter the worst depression since the 30's.

Maybe.

But look at this chart
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSPUS

That didn't happen organically. A 50% reduction in value would basically bring us back in line with less than 10 years ago.
Not sure if most people could even absorb a 20% hit .

Many simply would be foreclosed .

Those with adjustable rate mortgages could be the first.

Home builders are also in for a very hard time....except possibly luxury home builders.

Drop in value does not equal foreclosure. It would equal a very hard time selling (which you're already seeing).

Increase in foreclosures is inevitable btw. People bought at the height of value then rates went up. Lots of people in a position where they couldnt sell if they wanted to.

Reduction in value would make it worse but that is inevitable as well.

It's not people who bought who are at risk of foreclosure. While the value of their purchase might decrease, they got in at historically low rates. Plus the better underwriting following the 2008 debacle generally means they can afford the payments. If they don't have to move, they will be ok.

OTOH, serial refinancers who depend on cash out re-fis to finance their lifestyle might be in a bind.

I agree to an extent. I think you're underestimating how many people move and how often.
That is likely true. But my guess is if they can't sell (or won't sell at currrent prices) they will become landlords.

If you can't afford one mortgage how do you afford two?

You don't make *that* much as a landlord, in general.

But I think we mostly agree

Only way to make it as a landlord is to buy right, and pay them off asap .

It's not about how many you own…but how few mortgages you carry .

Cause that banker who bought your family dinner last year will foreclose you in a minute if he has to .

Yes. I agree. A house you're paying $1,000 for and renting for $1,250 is not a win.
Canada2017
Which is why all our properties are free and clear .

Saw enough market swings while farming …….nothing stays good forever .
Bexar Pitts
Canada2017 said:

Texas property taxes are so high, even with free and clear title, it can sometimes feel like you're renting from the County.
Canada2017
Bexar Pitts said:

Canada2017 said:

Texas property taxes are so high, even with free and clear title, it can sometimes feel like you're renting from the County.

No doubt

Lower property taxes in Colorado.
Doc Holliday
J.R.
Canada2017 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Canada2017 said:

No doubt

Yup, More than 1 home in Texas is tough because of property taxes. My taxes on my place in Colorado are $1500/yr and that same house in Texas would be at least $25,000. Big, Big difference.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

Canada2017 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Canada2017 said:

No doubt

Yup, More than 1 home in Texas is tough because of property taxes. My taxes on my place in Colorado are $1500/yr and that same house in Texas would be at least $25,000. Big, Big difference.

That's incredible.

Wouldn't buy any investment properties in Texas with that tax situation .
J.R.
I'd never buy rentals in tx, because of the taxes and I cannot and don't want to fix anything . I think it is all scale to be successful. I'm in the Multifamily business also, but if you buy a $100M or whatever the number complex....you have scale and the ability to bake the taxes into the rent , so that is a wash and just keep raising rents. The bigger problem for me is that I'd really like to buy another lake house as my kids are about to start families, but, same issue. I had one when they were little 15yrs ago and the taxes on that thing were $27K and it wasn't fancy.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

I'd never buy rentals in tx, because of the taxes and I cannot and don't want to fix anything . I think it is all scale to be successful. I'm in the Multifamily business also, but if you buy a $100M or whatever the number complex....you have scale and the ability to bake the taxes into the rent , so that is a wash and just keep raising rents.

I don't have the nerve to make that kind of play .

Free and clear now and don't want to be under the thumb of any bank president.

Doc Holliday
Guy Noir
Ouch, inflation is not getting better,
Wrecks Quan Dough
Guy Noir said:

It appears that Milton Friedman is still in charge.
Cobretti

Cobretti
Harrison Bergeron
Remember when the "experts" told us inflation was transitory and that pumping billions into the economy would not cause inflation. These idiots ignored basic economic principles for political ends and fumbled the ball on the five-yard line. Anyone with a basic understanding of economics could realize that after 18 months of pent-up demand with record, government-funded savings the economy would organically take off and boom ... yet Biden and his idiotic "experts" destroyed the economy and have / will bring suffering to millions.
Doc Holliday
Guy Noir said:

Its bad.

World inflation now exceeds 10% YOY. First time ever since records began.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Doc Holliday said:

Guy Noir said:

Its bad.

World inflation now exceeds 10% YOY. First time ever since records began.
I don't know what could have caused that. $$$$$$$$$$ Money Printer. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to Eleventy Trillion.
Golem
timetraveler said:

Single indicators to predict economy growth reminds me of old boomers talking about time of possession in football games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.