(Not) Born This Way

15,624 Views | 313 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by quash
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Adult children of lesbian parents less likely to identify as straight, study finds

They're "significantly more likely to report same-sex attraction, sexual minority identity, and same-sex experience" than the general population.

By Julie Moreau

The children of lesbian parents are less likely to identify as heterosexual as adults and much more likely to report same-sex attraction, according to a long-term study by the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a think tank focused on sexual orientation and gender.

Dr. Nanette Gartrell, the report's lead author and a visiting distinguished scholar at the Williams Institute, told NBC News there are multiple theories to explain sexual orientation including hormones, genetics and the environment -- but so far, she added, "the evidence suggests that there is no one factor that is a single determinant."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/adult-children-lesbian-parents-less-likely-identify-straight-study-finds-n989976
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Never expected to see such a "homophobic, hateful" post from you. LOL! Blue star for you!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
So that's how they reproduce
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

So that's how they reproduce

It certainly was not by having above replacement level fertility rates.
Golem
In before Waco47 and Jinx say "that just proves it's genetic".
nein51
At this point I'm not even sure there any real debate. It's clearly just a choice.
quash
The headline and the post do not match.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
cms186
Sam Lowry said:

Adult children of lesbian parents less likely to identify as straight, study finds

They're "significantly more likely to report same-sex attraction, sexual minority identity, and same-sex experience" than the general population.

By Julie Moreau

The children of lesbian parents are less likely to identify as heterosexual as adults and much more likely to report same-sex attraction, according to a long-term study by the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a think tank focused on sexual orientation and gender.

Dr. Nanette Gartrell, the report's lead author and a visiting distinguished scholar at the Williams Institute, told NBC News there are multiple theories to explain sexual orientation including hormones, genetics and the environment -- but so far, she added, "the evidence suggests that there is no one factor that is a single determinant."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/adult-children-lesbian-parents-less-likely-identify-straight-study-finds-n989976
Could it possibly be that, if a Child is raised in a home environment that demonstrates that a Homosexual relationship is loving and valid and nothing to be ashamed about, they are less likely to feel unable to come out should they be homosexual themselves?
I'm the English Guy
Doc Holliday
cms186 said:

Sam Lowry said:

By Julie Moreau

Could it possibly be that, if a Child is raised in a home environment that demonstrates that a Homosexual relationship is loving and valid and nothing to be ashamed about, they are less likely to feel unable to come out should they be homosexual themselves?
54 percent of women and 33 percent of men with lesbian parents reported having a same-sex sexual experience between the ages of 17 and 25.

To address your question we'd need to extrapolate these numbers on the entirety of the population. Doing this means 54% of all women and 33% of all men are not straight. There's no way that's accurate, so to answer your question, no.
cms186
Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

Sam Lowry said:

By Julie Moreau

54 percent of women and 33 percent of men with lesbian parents reported having a same-sex sexual experience between the ages of 17 and 25.

To address your question we'd need to extrapolate these numbers on the entirety of the population. Doing this means 54% of all women and 33% of all men are not straight. There's no way that's accurate, so to answer your question, no.
the same article says that 38% of all women (not just ones from homosexual parents) have had a same sex sexual experience, does that make 38% of all women Lesbians? A same Sex Sexual experience (and its not clear what an "experience" is, is it fleeting attraction to another man/woman, or is it a sexual act? its not made clear and if the same ambiguity exists in the questions that were asked, that's a bit dubious) doesn't necessarily make someone Gay, or even Bi-Sexual, indeed, in the same text you are quoting, despite 33% of Men having reported a same Sex sexual experience, only 10% self-identified as being Gay or Bisexual

its also worth pointing out that there were only 76 total Children from Lesbian couples that were interviewed, that's a pretty small number to be making a blanket statement like this about.
I'm the English Guy
Sam Lowry
cms186 said:

Sam Lowry said:

By Julie Moreau

As far as I can tell, the data doesn't show whether they felt able to come out. The participants were 25 years old, and the questions were about their personal experiences and identities. An earlier study of the same cohort also found that their quality of life (in terms of anxiety, depression, etc.) was similar to that of children from traditional families. So while your theory is possible, it's not particularly supported by this evidence.
LIB,MR BEARS
cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

Sam Lowry said:

By Julie Moreau

the same article says that 38% of all women (not just ones from homosexual parents) have had a same sex sexual experience, does that make 38% of all women Lesbians? A same Sex Sexual experience (and its not clear what an "experience" is, is it fleeting attraction to another man/woman, or is it a sexual act? its not made clear and if the same ambiguity exists in the questions that were asked, that's a bit dubious) doesn't necessarily make someone Gay, or even Bi-Sexual, indeed, in the same text you are quoting, despite 33% of Men having reported a same Sex sexual experience, only 10% self-identified as being Gay or Bisexual

its also worth pointing out that there were only 76 total Children from Lesbian couples that were interviewed, that's a pretty small number to be making a blanket statement like this about.
TriDelts at college parties really shouldn't be figured into these numbers.
Doc Holliday
cms186 said:

Doc Holliday said:

cms186 said:

Sam Lowry said:

By Julie Moreau

The sample size isn't large enough to extrapolate onto the entire population or make a statement that children of same sex couples feel more comfortable with it.

We need to figure out what's going on though. It could very well be social contagion, conditioning or natural.

I highly doubt a large portion of the population isn't straight.
OsoCoreyell
Its a behavior. Its a sexual practice. Sexual practices (just like any human behavior) is subject to fads and trends. The only reason to pretend that it is some kinds of innate identity is to allow some people to claim victim status.
Wrecks Quan Dough
No one is a homosexual. There are people who engage in homosexual conduct. It is not an immutable characteristic as some would like you to believe.
OsoCoreyell
Precisely. The problem is that reasonable people can disagree on the morality or immorality of behavior (I smoke pot/I think pot smoking is immoral). it's open for debate. But if you move it to "identity," well then it's not open for debate. Then, it's discrimination.

That's why the trans debate is so strange. It is so very clearly aberrant, self-harming behavior. Reasonable people can debate about whether and what adults should be able to do, and in a free society, people can come down on being more lenient on allowing adults to do whatever they want to themselves. But if "trans" is some kind of "identity," (and the LBGTQ crowd is primed to say anything with a sexual behavioral component is actually identify), well then not only are they free to do that thing, but you are not allowed to treat them differently because of it. It's not a choice, it's an identity.
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

No one is a homosexual. There are people who engage in homosexual conduct. It is not an immutable characteristic as some would like you to believe.
I think there are good people who have same sex attraction. They struggle and live with it, but it exists.
OsoCoreyell
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

I think there are good people who have same sex attraction. They struggle and live with it, but it exists.
I don't deny it. There are a lot of people who are faced with temptations every day. But you don't get to simply transform your temptation into an identity.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Yes, sin patterns exist. For some people, it is unforgiveness and others it is cocaine, alcohol abuse, or sexual sins.
Osodecentx
OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

I don't deny it. There are a lot of people who are faced with temptations every day. But you don't get to simply transform your temptation into an identity.

I agree. Just hate to see them demonized .

Go after the gay pride parade
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Yes, sin patterns exist. For some people, it is unforgiveness and others it is cocaine, alcohol abuse, or sexual sins.

I bet we know many more people who struggle with attraction to the opposite sex
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

That is not a struggle. That is called normal. It helps the human race survive and raise children within the context of an intact family. The problem is when sexual activity is not limited to marriage between one man and one woman.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Bless your heart. Who is "demonizing" anyone?
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

That is not a struggle. That is called normal. It helps the human race survive and raise children within the context of an intact family. The problem is when sexual activity is not limited to marriage between one man and one woman.

I think serial adulterers struggle
I think serial fornicators struggle
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

You are Read your post above. You state that homosexuality is a choice. That may be true for many, but not for all. You demonize celibate homosexuals who are struggling with temptation
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

I think serial adulterers struggle
I think serial fornicators struggle
Those are not opposite sex attractions. Those are actions; just like homosexual conduct is an action. Pretty hard to be an adulterer or a fornicator without a physical act. Same for homosexual conduct. The "attraction" does not make one homosexual. The act does.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

You are Read your post above. You state that homosexuality is a choice. That may be true for many, but not for all. You demonize celibate homosexuals who are struggling with temptation
No, homosexuality is a choice for everyone who engages in homosexual conduct. That is not demonizing anyone. that is a fact and your refusal to accept or understand that fact does not change it.
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

No, homosexuality is a choice for everyone who engages in homosexual conduct. That is not demonizing anyone. that is a fact and your refusal to accept or understand that fact does not change it.
Are you saying that everyone who has same sex attractions have chosen that?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

I am saying that everyone who engages in homosexual conduct has chosen to engage in that conduct. And since you brought it up, yes, if someone has an attraction to the same sex, then they have at one point made that choice and the pattern continued. Just like a man who thinks of someone other than his wife, he made that choice at one point. Hopefully, he deals with those thoughts before they intensify and manifest into physical adultery.
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

I am saying that everyone who engages in homosexual conduct has chosen to engage in that conduct. And since you brought it up, yes, if someone has an attraction to the same sex, then they have at one point made that choice and the pattern continued. Just like a man who thinks of someone other than his wife, he made that choice at one point. Hopefully, he deals with those thoughts before they intensify and manifest into physical adultery.
You are incorrect. We don't have anything to discuss.

Have a great day
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Have a great day

Lol. QED, professor Thinskin?
Golem
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Have a great day

He likely had to take the knob out of his mouth to type his response. It explains why he's so snippy.
Osodecentx
He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Have a great day

It's a pearls & swine thing
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Osodecentx said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Osodecentx said:

He Hate Me said:

Have a great day

It's a pearls & swine thing

Except that you are making excuses for sinful conduct, I might could be persuaded.
BaylorJacket
He Hate Me said:

Holy ****, this might be the most ignorant post I've seen on the board. Homosexuality is by definition a sexual orientation that is characterized by a romantic and/or sexual attraction to individuals of the same gender.

Do you genuinely believe no one is actually homosexual?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.